Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thufir is a weird do nothing character.

His whole story is thinking about things that he doesn't end up doing and failing to do the one thing he's actually supposed to do.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

Thufir is a weird do nothing character

He was there to die to show how much devotion Paul commanded

lol if Denis cut that out

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I felt it was obvious from part 1 that thufir was being considered for a cut in part 2. Just because of the way he is in it structurally, it's way too easy for the non dune posting audience to forget who he is by the time he would turn up again, unless you do like lynch did and give him what we call in the business "the rat milking scene"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Not only is he a weird character, he's hard to adapt to the screen. Thufir thinks about stuff and doesn't do anything. Without access to his internal monologue there isn't much left of the character.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

lol if Denis cut that out

I'm prepared to clear you to lol in disappointment with me.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Not only is he a weird character, he's hard to adapt to the screen. Thufir thinks about stuff and doesn't do anything. Without access to his internal monologue there isn't much left of the character.

Not only that, but denis also cut the 'thufir and gurney think jessica is a spy' thing which is really a huge part of both of them plot wise. I don't know what gurney really has to do in denis part 2 besides be the loyal and wants revenge guy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They'll probably have TBN playing Fenring take the place of the baron's mentat.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Arglebargle III posted:

Thufir is a weird do nothing character.

His whole story is thinking about things that he doesn't end up doing and failing to do the one thing he's actually supposed to do.

he's literally me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PeterWeller posted:

Yes. Dune's plot is relatively simple and straight-forward because Dune is about critically examining that plot and the people and power structures that enact it. You're not supposed to have trouble following what's happening. The book wants that to be clear, so you can concentrate on why it's happening.

Kinda funny that the first Dune movie got blown out of the water by Star Wars, as down the track, I feel like Star Wars being monolithic and well known for playing the space fairy tale more or less straight helps Dune stand out by playing similar elements in a way meant to be more sinister and ambiguous, and highlight how hosed up they are.

It's bit like how, and I kinda hate to say it, Joss Whedon actually had a point saying that the Watchmen movie came out too early; iirc there's been people rewatching it recently and realising how many elements of superhero comics that it critiqued and portrayed the sinister implications of before the movies got around to adapting them less ironically. The Comedian being a Captain America/Winter Soldier analogue, Dr Manhattan exploding the Viet Cong brings to mind Wonder Woman storming No Man's Land (could even be deliberate there, thanks Snyder) and billionaire genius playboy philanthropists becoming more of a threat than the villains they fought ever were when they try to solve the problems of global instability.

The Atreides and Harkonnen forces being basically just different kinds of villain coded, a bunch of marching, hailing Imperial officers vs pale bald skittering War Boys, the Atreides ships as massive angular 2001 monoliths that emerge like a cyclopean city from the deep. The mysterious mystical Bene Gesserit order dress like mourners and the highest praise they can give you is considering you a human being with agency. (Heh, Nier Automata vibes) While it does lose a lot in missing the inner monologues and the background that gives context to the narrative, the effort to make visuals of what can only be called epic scale that also maintain the intended tone are definitely are doing the work to make up for it. The entire aesthetic imo gets the right feel across with the extremely minimalistic, angular and brutalist look; this isn't a setting of whimsy or even the fun kind of decadence, with battle pugs and designer pustules, this is a world where everything and everyone is a tool that serves a purpose, and anything that doesn't serve a purpose is not considered to have a right to exist. (Less like the Imperium and more like the Tau, ha)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They can drop Thufir as long as they BIFAR

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scags McDouglas posted:

Oof, spoiler heavy of a review.

I'm pissed that Thufir Hawat is written out. His decision to die in Paul's arms rather than kill him was a tremendous moment in the books. F you Dennis!

Good. Not being able to talk about a piece of art infantilises the discussion. I mean sure let people know first, but it's kind of insane this is an issue for a wildly famous 60 year old novel.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny that the first Dune movie got blown out of the water by Star Wars, as down the track, I feel like Star Wars being monolithic and well known for playing the space fairy tale more or less straight helps Dune stand out by playing similar elements in a way meant to be more sinister and ambiguous, and highlight how hosed up they are.

It's bit like how, and I kinda hate to say it, Joss Whedon actually had a point saying that the Watchmen movie came out too early; iirc there's been people rewatching it recently and realising how many elements of superhero comics that it critiqued and portrayed the sinister implications of before the movies got around to adapting them less ironically. The Comedian being a Captain America/Winter Soldier analogue, Dr Manhattan exploding the Viet Cong brings to mind Wonder Woman storming No Man's Land (could even be deliberate there, thanks Snyder) and billionaire genius playboy philanthropists becoming more of a threat than the villains they fought ever were when they try to solve the problems of global instability.

The Atreides and Harkonnen forces being basically just different kinds of villain coded, a bunch of marching, hailing Imperial officers vs pale bald skittering War Boys, the Atreides ships as massive angular 2001 monoliths that emerge like a cyclopean city from the deep. The mysterious mystical Bene Gesserit order dress like mourners and the highest praise they can give you is considering you a human being with agency. (Heh, Nier Automata vibes) While it does lose a lot in missing the inner monologues and the background that gives context to the narrative, the effort to make visuals of what can only be called epic scale that also maintain the intended tone are definitely are doing the work to make up for it. The entire aesthetic imo gets the right feel across with the extremely minimalistic, angular and brutalist look; this isn't a setting of whimsy or even the fun kind of decadence, with battle pugs and designer pustules, this is a world where everything and everyone is a tool that serves a purpose, and anything that doesn't serve a purpose is not considered to have a right to exist. (Less like the Imperium and more like the Tau, ha)

Excellent post.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Battle pugs? Ridiculous... dogs are for sitting on

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Good. Not being able to talk about a piece of art infantilises the discussion. I mean sure let people know first, but it's kind of insane this is an issue for a wildly famous 60 year old novel.

Sorry, I'm trying to follow. (Really). I assume you mean it's good the reviews had spoilers, and not that a major character was erased. I'm perfectly with you that spoilers following the novel aren't a big deal (All 3 main Harkonnens are getting knifed), but it turns into a gray area when it's spoiling how the adaptation is choosing to greatly diverge from the plot. ie Thufir retired to a proverbial farm, Paul is going to kill the Baron, Alia is indeed just an adult vision etc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sebmojo posted:

I ain’t read the thing and it’s not real life.

I saw the lynch movie but poo poo made no sense halfway through and sucked. So I honestly have no idea what’s coming next. If I get spoiled I guess I’ll live but I’m trying not too because its fun to be surprised

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I ain’t read the thing and it’s not real life.

I saw the lynch movie but poo poo made no sense halfway through and sucked. So I honestly have no idea what’s coming next. If I get spoiled I guess I’ll live but I’m trying not too because its fun to be surprised

How do you feel about big worms?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Scags McDouglas posted:

Oof, spoiler heavy of a review.

I'm pissed that Thufir Hawat is written out. His decision to die in Paul's arms rather than kill him was a tremendous moment in the books. F you Dennis!

idk, Thufir's final act never really resonated with me "will this good guy kill the hero?" didn't exactly have me on the edge of my seat

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

idk, Thufir's final act never really resonated with me "will this good guy kill the hero?" didn't exactly have me on the edge of my seat

IDK I like the part that the Emperor deploys two assassins in a row- the first opting to die at Paul's feet and the other gettin' the ol Knife in Brain treatment. And Paul gets to stand there after like "You done with this??".

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The fun of Hawat is how he uses the Harkonen to get revenge on the Padishah - by making the Baron more ambitious than he ever was before; to turn Feyd into the atriedes plan for Paul, a popular hero to usurp Corino's throne. Before he captured Thufir, the Baron wasn't thinking beyond kanly iirc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aurubin posted:

How do you feel about big worms?

I have the bucket

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thufir is not a character I care a ton about in general, but it is a shame if he's being written out offscreen just because Stephen McKinley Henderson was really good in the role

APatheticPoster
Oct 10, 2007

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/dune-part-two/

:siren: baliset confirmed :siren:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

D U N C: His Stillsuit is Full of Piss

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I rewatched DUNC and I liked it a bit better a second time round. I kinda think the best part of the movie is all the stuff before theyr on arrakis setting up Paul as a freaky goth eugenics mutant

First time round Jessica as a constantly teary eyed and terrified woman bugged me but it works as a different take on the character

It kinda drags towards the end imo and I still really dislike the Jamis fight and lack of giving water to the dead.

E and dont get me started on the palm trees

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 23, 2024

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

They haven't gotten back to the sietch yet. I have to imagine one of the first scenes with Paul will be Jamis' funeral. To have so much focus on him in comparison to the previous two adaptations and then just skip the funeral would be galaxy-brained in its stupidity

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't imagine the split between the two movies won't be a long timeskip.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

MikeJF posted:

I can't imagine the split between the two movies won't be a long timeskip.

I want it to have no timeskip at all

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

comedy option: starts with no timeskip, then after 20 minutes does a timeskip

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hailthefish posted:

comedy option: starts with no timeskip, then after 20 minutes does a timeskip

That's basically what it would be if they did start with things like Jamis' funeral though. The book has a few long time jumps built into it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MikeJF posted:

That's basically what it would be if they did start with things like Jamis' funeral though. The book has a few long time jumps built into it.

that's why I recognized it as a possibility :ssh:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd imagine they have to have the spice orgy, and you'd have to have that before the timeskip for little fetal Alia to get all spiced up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'd imagine they have to have the spice orgy, and you'd have to have that before the timeskip for little fetal Alia to get all spiced up.

IIRC in the books there's actually two noticeable skips: they join the Fremen, there's a six month skip, we catch up with things and how they've integrated and Jessica becomes a Reverend Mother, and then a two year skip to the ending plan.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 23, 2024

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
unless they're gonna show the birth of murder-baby it's going to have to follow a tight schedule.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

MikeJF posted:

IIRC in the books there's actually two noticeable skips: they join the Fremen, there's a six month skip, we catch up with things and how they've integrated and Jessica becomes a Reverend Mother, and then a two year skip to the ending plan.

No, the water of life stuff happens really really quickly after they get back to Tabr, within a day or two. Chani is freshly mourning Liet at the ceremony, and Paul and Jessica react to everyone/thing as if they've never seen any of it before. It's the first time Jessica and Paul meet Ramallo, it's the first time Paul sees Chani out of a stillsuit. Paul doesn't realize the purpose of the gathering until it's underway, Jessica decided to try to become a Reverend Mother for the Fremen without even knowing what it entailed or consulting Paul.

I had no choice but to do this, she thought. We must move swiftly if we're to secure our place among these Fremen.

The urgency is that Tabr is being evacuated that night (because now that the Harkonnens are back they're hunting Fremen again) and Ramallo doesn't think she can survive the journey south. Jessica jumps on the opportunity.

Plus if they'd been there for months it'd be obvious that Jessica is pregnant.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Prolonged Panorama posted:

No, the water of life stuff happens really really quickly after they get back to Tabr, within a day or two. Chani is freshly mourning Liet at the ceremony, and Paul and Jessica react to everyone/thing as if they've never seen any of it before. It's the first time Jessica and Paul meet Ramallo, it's the first time Paul sees Chani out of a stillsuit. Paul doesn't realize the purpose of the gathering until it's underway, Jessica decided to try to become a Reverend Mother for the Fremen without even knowing what it entailed or consulting Paul.

I had no choice but to do this, she thought. We must move swiftly if we're to secure our place among these Fremen.

The urgency is that Tabr is being evacuated that night (because now that the Harkonnens are back they're hunting Fremen again) and Ramallo doesn't think she can survive the journey south. Jessica jumps on the opportunity.

Plus if they'd been there for months it'd be obvious that Jessica is pregnant.

True that, I think the fact that they arrive and almost immediately make an impression is important- the whole deal with the BG spreading messianic prophecies around planetary cultures is specifically so a BG in a position like Jessica can find a ready-made niche for her and a convenient child to slot into and assume a position of power, even somewhere they don't otherwise know. They need to not just adapt but become prominent quickly to take that opportunity.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I would do Jamis' funeral in the pre-credits open to introduce sietch life and the acceptance of Paul as the Mahdi , giving water etc. Then credits and big time jump.

But of course, refer to my username

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
If the now released soundtrack is anything to go by. The movie will cover the Sietch scene early on and the Water of Life scene soon after.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lot of bitching about the dune popcorn worm

i will buy two

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Failed Imagineer posted:

But of course, refer to my username

Alright Buckle, settle down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
idgi