Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
that is insulting to potatoes, which are much more beneficial to society than peter duttons head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
impressive that after one episode, four corners got the woolies ceo to step down

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
So Morrison's bum buddy Alex Hawke is set for an expulsion motion in the nsw Liberals. He's effectively been responsible for a lot of political shittery including protecting Sussan Ley in pre-selection and cultivating Morrison's candidates for election.

Seeing him gone would be blissful but I'll hazard a guess he'd get help from the mob morrisson shacked up with since they're friendos, thus becoming another lobbyist leech.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Non Compos Mentis posted:

impressive that after one episode, four corners got the woolies ceo to step down

Fresh in our Memories, Brad :(

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

snickothemule posted:

So Morrison's bum buddy Alex Hawke is set for an expulsion motion in the nsw Liberals. He's effectively been responsible for a lot of political shittery including protecting Sussan Ley in pre-selection and cultivating Morrison's candidates for election.

Seeing him gone would be blissful but I'll hazard a guess he'd get help from the mob morrisson shacked up with since they're friendos, thus becoming another lobbyist leech.

i think this dude sucks but surely protecting sitting MPs from preselection horse poo poo is, like, entirely normal? I can't really cheer what appears to be a full blown conservative wing insurgency

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Tomberforce posted:

Fresh in our Memories, Brad :(
An early ANZAC day miracle!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
golden handshake and he's still ceo until september, whens the accc inquiry finishing? they'll just use him as a compliant scapegoat promising to improve things but doing nothing

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Even after he cosplayed the working class.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SecretOfSteel posted:

Even after he cosplayed the working class.

all cosplayers are bastards

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

crossposting from AusGBS with live breaking news from local adelaide politics: Dr Reece Jennings, former mayor of the City of West Torrens, passed away today. If you are that connected to local politics in SA you know why this is interesting, if not, just know that he was one of the first doctors ever convicted of Medicare fraud (40+ counts!) and lost the Lord Mayor's robes when he lent them to Miss Nude Canada at the Thebarton Ice Arena and they were never seen again.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What could she possibly want with them?

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Kazzah posted:

What could she possibly want with them?
I think she was probably cold

CAMP FARTING ROCKS fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 21, 2024

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anthony Albanese has dismissed calls for forced divestiture powers to add competition to Australia’s food and grocery sector.

Former competition tsar Allan Fels has called for the watchdog, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, to get new powers to call for the break-up of corporate giants, describing the move as a potential “big stick” against anticompetitive behaviour.

Nationals leader David Littleproud is among advocates calling for supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths to be broken up, amid growing accusations of price gouging and a series of government reviews.

Speaking on ABC radio in Brisbane on Thursday, Albanese said calls for forced divestiture powers were dangerous.

“What we had the power to do is to encourage competition and encouraging new entrants,” he said.

“At the moment there’s a voluntary code of conduct and what the ACCC are looking at is whether some form of mandating is required.

“We have a private sector economy in Australia, and not a command and control economy. We’re not the old Soviet Union.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Let’s hear Bucky’s take on the retail sector in 18 volumes

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anthony Albanese has dismissed calls for forced divestiture powers to add competition to Australia’s food and grocery sector.

Former competition tsar Allan Fels has called for the watchdog, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, to get new powers to call for the break-up of corporate giants, describing the move as a potential “big stick” against anticompetitive behaviour.

Nationals leader David Littleproud is among advocates calling for supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths to be broken up, amid growing accusations of price gouging and a series of government reviews.

Speaking on ABC radio in Brisbane on Thursday, Albanese said calls for forced divestiture powers were dangerous.

“What we had the power to do is to encourage competition and encouraging new entrants,” he said.

“At the moment there’s a voluntary code of conduct and what the ACCC are looking at is whether some form of mandating is required.

“We have a private sector economy in Australia, and not a command and control economy. We’re not the old Soviet Union.

"We’re not the old Soviet Union", JFC read the room, that man just steps back from low hanging "cost of living" fruit because he hasn't got a splinter of a spine. Neoliberal Albo never fails to disappoint.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Noted Stalinist Allan Fels

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Putting aside Albo for the moment, how would you break up Coles and Woolworths as a practical matter? What would that look like?

Do like AT&T back in the day and split them into 6 or 7 regional operations?

Seperate distribution/warehousing/stores?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Breaking up monopolies is literally the opposite of what he's saying lmao

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Putting aside Albo for the moment, how would you break up Coles and Woolworths as a practical matter? What would that look like?

Do like AT&T back in the day and split them into 6 or 7 regional operations?

Seperate distribution/warehousing/stores?

Yeah, at least in the short term I dont see that helping to reduce costs. Splitting them up would raise the costs of logistics as the newly separate entities won't have access to the economies of scale. Maybe leave the warehousing and supply chains as single entities but enforce smaller groupings of stores?

Although splitting them regionally wouldn't really solve anything, unless you live in Albury-Wodonga you can't just nip across a state border to do your shopping.

Obviously the real answer is to nationalise grocery stores.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SecretOfSteel posted:

"We’re not the old Soviet Union", JFC read the room, that man just steps back from low hanging "cost of living" fruit because he hasn't got a splinter of a spine. Neoliberal Albo never fails to disappoint.

Breaking two of the biggest companies in australia is not "low hanging fruit"

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

At the moment there’s a voluntary code of conduct

which nobody wants to loving follow because it gets in the way of obscene profits, you clueless buffoon

quote:

We have a private sector economy in Australia, and not a command and control economy. We’re not the old Soviet Union.

we're not that broke but the level of corruption is just about right :ussr: Get your poo poo together comrade!

:ughh: Gods preserve us all, I loving weep for this country sometimes.

Captain Theron posted:

Obviously the real answer is to nationalise grocery stores.

I can just see it now... Колсвурт Универсам

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 22, 2024

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Breaking two of the biggest companies in australia is not "low hanging fruit"

The issue of "cost of living" is the low hanging fruit, not the breaking of two of the biggest companies in australia.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SecretOfSteel posted:

The issue of "cost of living" is the low hanging fruit, not the breaking of two of the biggest companies in australia.

I don't see what you mean at all

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You would have to break them up at the suburb/town level I think. So if there were 2 coles and 2 woolworths in a suburb you would have A Coles part A supermarket and a Coles Part B supermarket, and a Woolworths Part A supermarket and a Woolworths part B supermarket.

You would also need to look hard at land banking, where supermarket chains by up land to prevent competitors from building on them.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

You would also need to look hard at land banking, where supermarket chains by up land to prevent competitors from building on them.

Oh well I guess there's nothing we can do then

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Even in that report Fels did, the example given on ABC news was on how a supplier wanted to put the price up but WooliColi made the supplier pay a penalty. As in the biggest area that WooliColi throws its weight around is on suppliers (remember the campaign to pay more for milk?) and I think some work rationalisation?. Releasing that pressure (aside from being popular with farmers and other suppliers) would likely see a significant increase in prices.

And the margins are not great anyway from the same article - was like 5% underlying profit margin? A smaller business is going to need higher sustained margins to not be one bad quarter away from a disaster.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
as a starting point you might keep the supermarket aspect intact but break away the parts of the supply chain they own. You could also spin off the various liquor businesses including the woolies stake in pubs.

insurance, fuel and energy are also ripe for a whack with the big regulatory stick

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Tax the rich and invest and build Universal Constructors to replace the duopoly of Woolies/Coles. IMO.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

What if we got the army reserves to build more supermarkets?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CAMP FARTING ROCKS posted:

I think she was probably cold

CAMP FARTING ROCKS posted:

Miss Nude Canada

The point stands :colbert:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Randomly flicked over to the ABC late at night and how the gently caress do John Barron and that Chaser guy still have a political analysis show? It's neither funny nor astute. This is negatively polarising me towards the Sky News "Channel 2" guys, abolish this poo poo and give me my 7c a day back

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Even in that report Fels did, the example given on ABC news was on how a supplier wanted to put the price up but WooliColi made the supplier pay a penalty. As in the biggest area that WooliColi throws its weight around is on suppliers (remember the campaign to pay more for milk?) and I think some work rationalisation?. Releasing that pressure (aside from being popular with farmers and other suppliers) would likely see a significant increase in prices.

And the margins are not great anyway from the same article - was like 5% underlying profit margin? A smaller business is going to need higher sustained margins to not be one bad quarter away from a disaster.

Profit margin is determined after you subtract executive pay and bonuses though, right? It's a gameable number in that sense, unless you think the upper management actually contribute value commensurate with their compensation.

That's not to say that breaking them up would inherently improve that, since then there are two CEOs instead of one. It's certainly possible for breaking up a monopoly to be bad for consumers, but in cases where that is true it is still incumbent on governments to regulate or nationalize them.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

freebooter posted:

Randomly flicked over to the ABC late at night and how the gently caress do John Barron and that Chaser guy still have a political analysis show? It's neither funny nor astute. This is negatively polarising me towards the Sky News "Channel 2" guys, abolish this poo poo and give me my 7c a day back

it's fine

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
If we're so interested in a private sector economy, let's use regulatory authority and tax breaks to encourage more healthy competition. Let's provide the ability for distributors to hit back at unfair deals, AND give them somewhere else to offload their product.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

freebooter posted:

America breaks brains, exclusively covering American politics is turbo brain breaking juice

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
This is a great opportunity for the Greens. The Nationals are increasingly on the nose to the NFF* who are their key constituency. Farms in Australia are largely unprofitable making farmers rely on off farm income to continue to live on the land. In NSW the rural land rating system is pretty much fixed. The council charges the general rate based on the valuer generals land value and there is no mechanism of relief. This (in a run away property market) ratchets up on of the many costs levied on the farmer. If the Greens could negotiate (with the NFF) a system whereby there was an agreed minimum wholesale price for all farm produce, farms might be more prepared (or even able) to engage in sustainable farming practices.

I mean, unless you want to read my manifesto on smashing the patriarchy and feeding the wealthy through a series of solar powered wood chippers, it is clearly the only way forward.

*National Farmer's Federation.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
where does the grid fit into this?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

I'm surprised it's still going. Holy poo poo it's been on since 2012

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cartoon posted:

This is a great opportunity for the Greens. The Nationals are increasingly on the nose to the NFF* who are their key constituency. Farms in Australia are largely unprofitable making farmers rely on off farm income to continue to live on the land. In NSW the rural land rating system is pretty much fixed. The council charges the general rate based on the valuer generals land value and there is no mechanism of relief. This (in a run away property market) ratchets up on of the many costs levied on the farmer. If the Greens could negotiate (with the NFF) a system whereby there was an agreed minimum wholesale price for all farm produce, farms might be more prepared (or even able) to engage in sustainable farming practices.

I mean, unless you want to read my manifesto on smashing the patriarchy and feeding the wealthy through a series of solar powered wood chippers, it is clearly the only way forward.

*National Farmer's Federation.

I’d agree with you like a year ago but the NFF have flipped back to being culture warriors and weirdos based on their president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I also thought the nationals were nominally for farmers but actually for miners, who had become their main source of funding, and had massive competing priorities for land use and water but kind of papered over it by being “for the regions”.