Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's worth noting that the Empire is like one thing that didn't get washed away in the flow of time, as it existed continuously since Flamme's time, at the very least, so the author probably wants to do something with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Well, they did manage to kill everyone on the list but Frieren, so efficient or no, it's hard to argue with the results. :v:

Also that old dude almost managed to solo the entire party, that's drat impressive.

Well, Fern (probably) would've blown his head off, but yeah if he hadn't showed Stark mercy or made the classic villain mistake of letting the hero stall for time, he definitely could've killed 2 out of 3.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I thought this little substory was fun. People debating the logistics of it feels a little silly, given that, like someone else mentioned, last chapter Frieren said that they literally only went through that village because her knowledge of the world is so anachronistic she was totally unaware that a new highway had been developed since the last time she made this journey.

"I wonder what the meaning of my life was" is a pretty evocative line of dialogue that feels very much in line with the spirit of Frieren as a series. I'm glad that mage killer bro reached this conclusion to his mission after living a more peaceful life than you would expect for a deep undercover cell of secret assassins.

I tried to google around a bit and check the Frieren wiki to figure this out, but I haven't reread in some time and I'm a little lost geographically. Have we heard anything about this empire previously in the story? I remember the barrier during the Macht arc. It seems like it might be the remnant of the empire that used to span the continent and was destroyed by demons or something? The idea that Frieren might be inconvenient to the existing power structure because she's a living and breathing hero straight from legend is pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind if we never get any exposition on why this substory happened because it would be a neat little mystery but at the same time I hope we do.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 21, 2024

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Tosk posted:

I tried to google around a bit and check the Frieren wiki to figure this out, but I haven't reread in some time and I'm a little lost geographically. Have we heard anything about this empire previously in the story? I remember the barrier during the Macht arc. It seems like it might be the remnant of the empire that used to span the continent and was destroyed by demons or something? The idea that Frieren might be inconvenient to the existing power structure because she's a living and breathing hero straight from legend is pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind if we never get any exposition on why this substory happened because it would be a neat little mystery but at the same time I hope we do.

There's only one Empire as far as we know. It's the one Denken is a big deal in.

You can see its original border in chapter 53 during the flashback and an updated border recently though I can't remember exactly which chapter. The story has implied it's the same one from Flamme's time several times and basically confirmed it in chapter 121.

EDIT: You can get a look at the Empire's current border in chapter 105, though it's a bit too zoomed in to see everything.

The "mysterious threat" in the Empire being introduced immediately after Grausam, makes it definitely seem like he's a strong candidate for the cause, in the same fashion that we've had multiple instances of someone mentioning a human killing Frieren immediately cut to Ubel doing absurd stuff.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 21, 2024

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We've also got that one demon who wants to destroy the sun for some reason

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

Her name is literally "Death, the Saint of the End" :black101:, I fear there is no way that the arc involving her will live up to her name.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

LostRook posted:

There's only one Empire as far as we know. It's the one Denken is a big deal in.

You can see its original border in chapter 53 during the flashback and an updated border recently though I can't remember exactly which chapter. The story has implied it's the same one from Flamme's time several times and basically confirmed it in chapter 121.

EDIT: You can get a look at the Empire's current border in chapter 105, though it's a bit too zoomed in to see everything.

The "mysterious threat" in the Empire being introduced immediately after Grausam, makes it definitely seem like he's a strong candidate for the cause, in the same fashion that we've had multiple instances of someone mentioning a human killing Frieren immediately cut to Ubel doing absurd stuff.

Thanks, very interesting stuff. I don't really think it's likely to be Grausam because we know he was already killed by the Hero Party but perhaps there are memory shenanigans at play.

edit: I went back and reread chapters 116-120 and actually yeah, that would make sense. Grausam does indicate to Solitar that he's learned something after he retreats

Tosk fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 21, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rody One Half posted:

Isn’t she cursing the planet, not the sun? That’s what the official localization suggests, anyways

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

thetoughestbean posted:

I’ve been playing all of the Dragon Quest games on order recently and I have to say, beyond general stuff like the party structure, the Demon King , etc, Frieren is still Dragon Quest as hell.

What I mean is that the journey is the point of the adventure, with tons of memorable vignettes based around each town they visit. It really feels like a Dragon Quest game but stripped of the Akira Toriyama character designs
I suspect they'll find reaching their goal in Ende disappointing, were they not so thoroughly satisfied with their journey. It started with the Jeta Grove. Let it end in Ithaca.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tosk posted:

Thanks, very interesting stuff. I don't really think it's likely to be Grausam because we know he was already killed by the Hero Party but perhaps there are memory shenanigans at play.

edit: I went back and reread chapters 116-120 and actually yeah, that would make sense. Grausam does indicate to Solitar that he's learned something after he retreats

Yeah the Demons got what they wanted in that arc.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Isn’t she cursing the planet, not the sun? That’s what the official localization suggests, anyways

Might be a case like FF14, where the word for star is used for both and they had to make a guess what she was cursing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Akett posted:

Might be a case like FF14, where the word for star is used for both and they had to make a guess what she was cursing.

The planet one makes more sense since presumably demons still want to live there after Tot finishes whatever it is her curse does, and I'd imagine loving over the whole drat sun wouldn't ultimately serve anyone very well in the end

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just started watching this because I saw some cool clips of well animated battles online

Got tricked into watching a cozy anime about growing old and feeling regret about not having enjoyed life enough

Currently on episode 5

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Glad you're enjoying it but heads up this is the manga thread, the anime thread is over here

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gotcha thanks

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The title of the thread should probably get changed to have "manga" in the title somwhere.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
speaking of that scene with tot, i've been wondering this...

solitar says to himmel that she could "rampage" in a way that makes frieren have no future to return to. but doesn't the existence of the spell being written on the goddess icon mean that the future is already set in stone? in some way, shape or form, himmell literally has to live in order for the events to work out that way.

i also kinda realized that the hero party probably intuited that they beat the demon king even without frieren confirming it. i don't know how i feel about that tbh. (similarly idk how to feel about frieren having been primed to join the hero party in the first place)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Haystack posted:

The title of the thread should probably get changed to have "manga" in the title somwhere.
yeah I keep forgetting to ask someone to change it, but that reminded me to do so

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

tbp posted:

speaking of that scene with tot, i've been wondering this...

solitar says to himmel that she could "rampage" in a way that makes frieren have no future to return to. but doesn't the existence of the spell being written on the goddess icon mean that the future is already set in stone? in some way, shape or form, himmell literally has to live in order for the events to work out that way.

i also kinda realized that the hero party probably intuited that they beat the demon king even without frieren confirming it. i don't know how i feel about that tbh. (similarly idk how to feel about frieren having been primed to join the hero party in the first place)

Solitar probably doesn't know what would happen if she tried to actively gently caress with the established future, but neither does Himmel and hoping that the timeline will correct itself and prevent any intervention instead of, say, collapsing and erasing future Frieien from existence, was not worth the risk. And she knew that.

She basically successfully bluffed him.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Solitar probably doesn't know what would happen if she tried to actively gently caress with the established future, but neither does Himmel and hoping that the timeline will correct itself and prevent any intervention instead of, say, collapsing and erasing future Frieien from existence, was not worth the risk. And she knew that.

well, she got fuckin smoked in the end so i shouldn't complain. good riddance you creep demon

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
She seemed nice though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah there are so many versions of time travel throughout fiction that we don't know what would have happened and like you said, Solitar didn't either, but the chance of it all loving Frieren/the future up was too great. Easier to let one demon escape than gamble with causality.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

well, she got fuckin smoked in the end so i shouldn't complain. good riddance you creep demon

Who knows with the time stuff now, I would not be shocked for her to suddenly come back.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It was a closed-loop paradox via in-body travel. I don't expect it be expanded in any fashion beyond that. If anything, it implies that the Goddess had even better future sight than Southern Hero and Schlatt, having set it up 1500 years prior.

I very much expect Solitar to have more flashbacks being a confidant of the Demon King and the fact that she effectively said she'd spread around Frieren's mana secret to be a major plot point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Akett posted:

This might be exactly what you're talking about, but stuff like this generally just stems just Japanese literally having the same word for planet and star. I'm actually not sure why localizers sometimes don't change it to whichever is actually accurate (like with FF14), since it often leads to comfusion.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just use the term ‘stellar body’ and it’s all gucci

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Interestingly, today's episode had a fair bit of anime only material. Besides the requisite action scenes, we also had the entire mural portion, which actually has some major lore implications.

It definitely seems to portray the Goddess coming down to grant magic to the king. We know that the Goddess descended 1500 years ago, so that tells us when the Unified era began and likely when the empire was started.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Yeah, there were anime original fights but that's par for the course, the animators are expanding on nearly every 1-2 panel fight and there are a lot of those in frieren

but that's the first anime-original lore scene, i think

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
While I'm always up for more lore, the pacing felt weird. We're all waiting to get to the fireworks factory and the anime spends five minutes noodling around in a hidden room with no clear story payoff.

Then in the end, the big fight that we tuned in this week to see still doesn't happen yet.

Anyway, still looking forward to next week.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mirage posted:

While I'm always up for more lore, the pacing felt weird. We're all waiting to get to the fireworks factory and the anime spends five minutes noodling around in a hidden room with no clear story payoff.

Then in the end, the big fight that we tuned in this week to see still doesn't happen yet.

Anyway, still looking forward to next week.

Those emotions you're experiencing right now are the closest you'll ever get to experiencing how Stark and Fern feel every day, you should savour this Genuine Frieren Moment©™

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ytlaya posted:

This might be exactly what you're talking about, but stuff like this generally just stems just Japanese literally having the same word for planet and star. I'm actually not sure why localizers sometimes don't change it to whichever is actually accurate (like with FF14), since it often leads to comfusion.

It's something that you'd have to ask for clarification on and I guess many times they don't bother

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Other Demons: So... Tot....like... are you talking about cursing the Earth or the Sun? There is a bit of confusion about this and it's pretty important....

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lt. Lizard posted:

Other Demons: So... Tot....like... are you talking about cursing the Earth or the Sun? There is a bit of confusion about this and it's pretty important....

"I hate how confusing that distinction is. The curse makes them the same thing."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I recently reread the time travel stuff and is it just me or does Rivale look similar to the demon in the flashback who destroyed Stark's hometown?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunt11 posted:

I recently reread the time travel stuff and is it just me or does Rivale look similar to the demon in the flashback who destroyed Stark's hometown?

He is that Demon.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

its almost certainly him yeah

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the time stone chapters were slow to read monthly but flew by on my recent reread and seem like they’ll be extremely important to the overall plot of the manga

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The time travel stuff really sets up a lot of trouble for the future: Tod is obvious, Rivale will absolutely seek out Stark, considering his obsession with strong warriors and Grausam stole future!Frieren memories and survived, so he had 80 years to prepare for current future.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 126

Surprise, we're not done with the shadow warriors yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Hypocrisy posted:

Chapter 126

Surprise, we're not done with the shadow warriors yet!

I LOVE HER.

edit: really fun chapter, getting excited for this new arc