Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Always settle on a river, for water wheels and ease of travel from your home tile to the nearest road.

My current embark tile has rock formations which funnel everything that doesn’t want to walk the river through a couple of gaps, which both let out into the southern end a big open field west of our river and whose northern end is my crops.

The town is built into what used to be a small valley across the river, and then dug into the rock around that, and there’s a smaller open field which I’ve turned into my main ranch paddock. The whole thing is a natural killbox, funneling every raid except one early on which tried to go down the river around one corner into a hail of automatic gunfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Forested swamps are maybe one of the underrated vanilla biomes I think. The cost of course is that literally everything can burn

or just spend real-time months using moisture pumps to dry out the land

I'm playing with Dubs Bad Hygiene for the first time too, and I'm not finding it too onerous even in a naked brutality tribal start. I'm in tundra with a very short growing season, which means mostly non-renewable wood (not enough time in the year for trees to grow to maturity before dying), and refining fecal sludge into chemfuel is feeling a little overpowered in meeting the colony's energy needs.

edit: Though I'm having a hard time understanding how an outdoor primitive well works when it's -52C

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 22, 2024

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The earth* (*and presumably earthlike habitable planets) actually has a surprisingly stable temperature of around 50-70 degrees once you get more than thirty feet or so below the surface since rock and soil is well-insulating and the active core heats things from inside out. Granted the depth you need increases with latitude and safely digging down 50+' with bare hands is a bit implausible (and assumes there's a water table and all) but it's not impossible. I guess. :pseudo:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Heffer posted:

The official forums have a bunch of tools and content
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?board=12.0

A reddit tutorial with coding
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/13aj8r8/hi_me_again_delivering_another_beginners_guide_to/

His previous tutorial that may overlap
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/olayyw/hi_op_here_im_delivering_you_my_beginners_guide/

Adding wool to a creature sounds like an xml mod but I'm not fully versed on it
thank you. if i ever get it to a functional state ill drop the files here

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm not a fan of rivers, but I love boreal forests and am very fond of building my kill tunnel over a marsh or standing water. I mod in heavy bridges that will support stone walls, along with embrasures and it makes for quite a shooting gallery.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i just wish rivers weren't always diagonal in this game, it makes things much more awkward to build around since you're restricted to a grid

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Your Computer posted:

i just wish rivers weren't always diagonal in this game, it makes things much more awkward to build around since you're restricted to a grid

Map Designer lets you force it in specific directions if you're willing to play with the settings.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Someone mod the alphabeaver event so they build dams which divert the flow of rivers after several quadrums

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That is unironically a really good idea, rather than the vanilla dumb poo poo

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I love the idea of playing on rivers but I always get annoyed you have to be on one side or the other and it leaves too many ways into my base for me.

I've just restarted as a family game, characters based on me the wife, this is going to end well.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Flesh Forge posted:

That is unironically a really good idea, rather than the vanilla dumb poo poo

hell yeah. And if there's no trees instead of starving (do they actually starve and leave if there's no trees they can path to or is that a myth?) they should try to eat wood structures and buildings. They really shouldn't have much of a move speed penalty in water if they don't already either.

alphabeavers should have an instinctual desire for ultrafloods and want to construct omegadams. this would have to make it so their bullshit actually could change the environment tho (which means the player could theoretically do something similar) but if you let them go they'll eventually flood the whole map into a huge lake with a handful of rocky islands

it starts mysteriously raining like it occasionally does.
🟥 Alphabeavers!
they start chopping trees and building a nest, near a stream or wet freshwater, or just the "lowest" or "best" tile
nest is sort of like a bug alternative but they carry wood to the nest to make it bigger and when it's there get pregnant
this thing makes the tiles near it more into a stream every X ticks of rain, from a pond eventually into a huge river
having a dam nest thing makes it Y% more likely to get rain, gradually changing the biome into a ridiculous lake
finally if there's literally not any wood left at all they'll eat the nest and leave, not caring that they flooded your base

In a way this actually makes it more dangerous to be on a bigger map because they'll just be roving around eating more wood getting their nest built up faster and bam next thing you know you've got a labyrinthine maze of flooded sandstone outcrops and some very confused bears and ground sloths.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm not aware of anything that actually changes the map you're on like that, is that even a thing the game can do? Another way to do it is you could get a map event if you settled on a river. Beavers have setup up/down stream and are damming the river, put together a caravan to go flush them out, until you do there will be flooding, or if you're downriver the river will dry up. The latter would probably be easier to do in the engine.

Is the original beaver event even still in the game? I remember I used to get it all the time in Alpha, but I don't think I've seen a single beaver since well before 1.0. Meanwhile the "super rare" toxic fallout makes at least one appearance every one, often more.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the vanilla alphabeaver event is so goddamn stupid I just disable it. it's a punishment for having trees in the same spirit that bug infestations are a punishment for living under mountain but with the key difference that it's just gratingly stupid.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Other animals path off of your tile when food is scarce, and also sometimes by happenstance, so I don’t see why beavers would be different.

As to whether anyone has ever let them stay until all the wood was gone I don’t know, surely it must have happened a couple of times even if by accident?

e: I think the Alphabeaver migration event was taken out of Vanilla, yeah

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Alphabeavers were removed from the incident pool for a bunch of biomes because they weren't remotely a threat in something like a jungle where there were far too many trees for them to matter. Tbh even on an arid map I love beavers, they're free meat unless it happens in like the first quadrum or so when you don't have much in the way of guns yet.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

the vanilla alphabeaver event is so goddamn stupid I just disable it. it's a punishment for having trees in the same spirit that bug infestations are a punishment for living under mountain but with the key difference that it's just gratingly stupid.
You can just go out there and shoot them and get a bunch of easy meat.

I guess it's annoying that you have to, but it's not difficult to deal with. Unless it happens at the same time as another crisis and then it's hilariously bullshit, which I think is a fun part of the game. It's another little thing to stress your colony, and a novel and minor one compared to an actual raid or something. Enduring unforeseen troubles is what this game is all about.

But I am definitely a proponent of disabling challenges that aren't satisfying to you in this game, so if you really don't want to deal with it, disabling it is a good idea.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it isn't that I'm not able to do this, it's how jarring and loving dumb it is that you have this pack of creatures that each one very pointedly eats several trees a day, lingers on the map until you kill them, and if you don't feel like dealing with them they just empty the map of trees. and it scales with colony wealth. just one of the most glaring Game Designer things I've ever seen.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Well goes to show I almost never play an arid tile.

I really like Boreal Forest, and have a mod which makes trees look snowy in the winter.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

One of the worst events is the tornado. Unless you have 36 stockpiles with 1 chemfuel each in them, there's a non-zero chance that a tornado paths over a place with a bunch of chemfuel or mortar shells and wrecks your poo poo and the first time that happened I disabled that poo poo

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A Moose posted:

One of the worst events is the tornado. Unless you have 36 stockpiles with 1 chemfuel each in them, there's a non-zero chance that a tornado paths over a place with a bunch of chemfuel or mortar shells and wrecks your poo poo and the first time that happened I disabled that poo poo
The tornado event was disabled over five years ago, before the game was out of beta.

You are correct that it was complete bullshit though!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
ive never once used the tornado summoner cause im scared shitless of the aftermath to my base after the raids gone

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Eiba posted:

You can just go out there and shoot them and get a bunch of easy meat.

If you've only got a revolver and rifle and no pawns with shooting above 2 yeah, it does suck. Plus when they all aggro you and your pawns end up with a dozen cuts and bruises.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Alphabeavers is a melee training event for me, and if you die to the beavers it was meant to be.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

If you've only got a revolver and rifle and no pawns with shooting above 2 yeah, it does suck. Plus when they all aggro you and your pawns end up with a dozen cuts and bruises.

the "gang up and kill this guy" herd behavior is also extremely dumb as hell/very Game Designer lol
e: it's a punishment for having huntable animals on your map the same way that alphabeaver invasion is for trees and bug infestation is for undermountain

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

It's not an urgent crisis (unless you have an anima tree near the edge of the map), so you can wait a few days and they usually split up enough that you can pick off a few of them.

They also run away from gunshots and are only hostile if you actually hurt one, so if you shoot the ground in the middle of their group you can get them to scatter.

It is pretty rough having to deal with them early game, but you also don't need all the wood on a map immediately. You can prioritize chopping down a bunch for yourself and let the beavers have the rest. By the time your colony really needs more wood it will have regrown.

I'll emphasize that I think it's fine to disable if you think it's uninteresting or bullshit or whatever, but I like that it's a novel challenge different than the normal raids you get. It's much more interesting to deal with that kind of weird nonsense than to just close your doors to a pack of insane wild animals that somehow know what doors you could be behind and will just camp out there.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
just to c9nfirm, the alpha beavers wont eat your wooden walls/furniture when they run out of trees? ive always murdered the poo poo out of them because i thought that they would

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Every pawn type has a list of permissible food, if furniture isn’t listed for alphabeavers then they don’t eat it

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

the "gang up and kill this guy" herd behavior is also extremely dumb as hell/very Game Designer lol

Very funny when combined with hunting party events, though.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Christ why are moisture pumps are the slowest things in existence

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm not aware of anything that actually changes the map you're on like that, is that even a thing the game can do? Another way to do it is you could get a map event if you settled on a river. Beavers have setup up/down stream and are damming the river, put together a caravan to go flush them out, until you do there will be flooding, or if you're downriver the river will dry up. The latter would probably be easier to do in the engine.

Is the original beaver event even still in the game? I remember I used to get it all the time in Alpha, but I don't think I've seen a single beaver since well before 1.0. Meanwhile the "super rare" toxic fallout makes at least one appearance every one, often more.

If there's the dehydrator there is, in theory, a moistener
There's the bug hive which pisses off the bugs if shot
Dunno if you can change a world tile's stated official biome but you can really gently caress up the place

You would want to have them figure out the "wettest" tile to put their nest in and it's a reverse moisture pump, right? Be like get set of tiles that are within the border for buildings, outdoors, unroofed, not in home zone / not in any zone, worst terrain affordance, not type salt water. (Idk whatever is the most compute efficient way to get the set)

Either pick one of that set randomly or narrow it down better, have the beavers eat some trees, then chop trees / collect loose wood until they have a full stack there and build the nest, that building is now a reverse moisture pump with huge range but is only turned on if it's raining / storming. If there's flowing water it doesn't change that terrain except to deepen and spread it, otherwise it walks backwards through the kinds of tiles into deep water that matches the biome good and looks cool, and flowing water makes this go faster.

:shrug: no way I'm capable of pulling this one off, but I think it'd be way loving better of an implementation for the beavers. Maybe it somehow can enrich the banks of their lake so trees grow faster there. Maybe you would want them to be there and they have to do maintenence on the nest with wood? A haywire terraforming tool that's gone feral and they still act like it.

Basically if it's a lovely desert and beavers show up you could maybe end up with an oasis or something good (at the cost of no wood for maybe a while), but if it's already a forest it's gonna be a crazy rear end sunken valley when they're done and moved on.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'd take a million alpha beavers over one plague event

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The horseman of pestilence comes riding in, mounted on an alpha beaver

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Doltos posted:

I'd take a million alpha beavers over one plague event

Beavers are a nuisance that can be turned into an asset (meat, or manhunter raid defense). Therefore, what we need is a way to weaponize plague.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
We need plague to be caused by rats in the colony instead of a random event that wipes colonies before they have medical tech researched.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

For some reason every so often I'll get traders who just don't leave and just have mental breakdowns and starve to death and I have no idea why. I installed a mod that lets me tell traders to leave but that doesn't even work!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If there's the dehydrator there is, in theory, a moistener
There's the bug hive which pisses off the bugs if shot
Dunno if you can change a world tile's stated official biome but you can really gently caress up the place

You would want to have them figure out the "wettest" tile to put their nest in and it's a reverse moisture pump, right? Be like get set of tiles that are within the border for buildings, outdoors, unroofed, not in home zone / not in any zone, worst terrain affordance, not type salt water. (Idk whatever is the most compute efficient way to get the set)

I don't mind the vanilla version of Infestation at all but this is another really great idea.
e: give this its own terrain type very unfavorable to humans but maybe possible to remediate to clean terrain, maybe pollution layered on top of the original base terrain but ideally something much nastier

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 23, 2024

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
It'd be nice if diseases were more "interactive" rather than a dice roll that crippled half your colony for a month, but any "realistic" ideas feel like tedious busywork.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Diseases being a more common and important part of gameplay would be a lot more palatable if disease prevention was a bit more dynamic. Penoxycycline sucks rear end; it only prevents malaria, plague, and sleeping sickness, and of those three only plague is actually really dangerous. It does nothing against the most common disease(infection) or the most long-lasting diseases(parasites and mechanites) and costs a nonrenewable resource(neutroamine) to make when that nonrenewable resource is also used in large quantities to make significantly more powerful and useful items(go-juice and wake up).

If you wanted to give diseases a larger role you'd need to seriously rethink disease prevention and treatment, I think.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

VideoWitch posted:

For some reason every so often I'll get traders who just don't leave and just have mental breakdowns and starve to death and I have no idea why. I installed a mod that lets me tell traders to leave but that doesn't even work!

Turn on god mode and click the x next to whatever condition in their health screen. You can also use dev mode to reset their mental state. Or just straight up delete them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

Diseases being a more common and important part of gameplay would be a lot more palatable if disease prevention was a bit more dynamic. Penoxycycline sucks rear end; it only prevents malaria, plague, and sleeping sickness, and of those three only plague is actually really dangerous. It does nothing against the most common disease(infection) or the most long-lasting diseases(parasites and mechanites) and costs a nonrenewable resource(neutroamine) to make when that nonrenewable resource is also used in large quantities to make significantly more powerful and useful items(go-juice and wake up).

If you wanted to give diseases a larger role you'd need to seriously rethink disease prevention and treatment, I think.

lung rot from corpse stink is a thing, it's pretty neat