Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Tanks are extremely easy to dispose of with 110s. I always take them on robot missions because it feels good to solve that problem instantly while everyone else continues with their business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drat this game is a lot better when you can actually play it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Jerkface posted:

FYI whoever said you didnt need to extract to get samples thats apparently not the case anymore. Lost a ton of rare samples because my team was too cowardly to wait 10 seconds to extract :argh:

The rule is: any Helldiver holding samples doesn't have to extract to count the samples as acquired, but
1.) Helldivers holding the samples must be living at the time the mission ends
2.) At least 1 Helldiver must extract.

If a helldiver dies before the mission ends, dropping the samples, then those samples are lost.

If no Helldivers extract, then all the samples are lost.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
First mission and this game is so buggy. My friend had 4 bugs in my ship. Falling through the map, couldn't click stratagems, camera stuck. Then we get in game and reinforce doesn't work and then one person gets disconnected.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

KingKapalone posted:

First mission and this game is so buggy. My friend had 4 bugs in my ship. Falling through the map, couldn't click stratagems, camera stuck. Then we get in game and reinforce doesn't work and then one person gets disconnected.

Never give up in the face of disenfranchisement

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeAuMaN posted:

The rule is: any Helldiver holding samples doesn't have to extract to count the samples as acquired, but

If a helldiver dies before the mission ends, dropping the samples, then those samples are lost.

I've seen people say they didn't get samples despite being alive with samples while missing the extraction.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

JBP posted:

I've seen people say they didn't get samples despite being alive with samples while missing the extraction.

Yea this is patched out or whatever. my team full extracted and left me behind while I was running to grab some rare samples we dropped and we got 0 samples.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Yea this is patched out or whatever. my team full extracted and left me behind while I was running to grab some rare samples we dropped and we got 0 samples.

Same thing happened to me as well, team extracted without me and didn't get any of the samples I was carrying. Definitely think being left behind doesn't work any more.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Captainicus posted:

Same thing happened to me as well, team extracted without me and didn't get any of the samples I was carrying. Definitely think being left behind doesn't work any more.

Thirding this that getting left behind gave us zero samples in the mission payout screen.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Anybody else notice medals not being properly deducted when buying stuff at the warbonds shop? Like I spent from 10 down to 0, get 5 on a mission, come back and have 15. Seems like it's happened a couple times to me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BeAuMaN posted:

If you've ever played the tabletop RPG Paranoia, I'm very much reminded of that. It has everyone following the will of Dear Computer; players have a 6-pack of clones to replace them should they die, and various players are certain specific officers, and ALL of the players are looking for traitors (while most of them are secretly influenced by or spreading treasonous propaganda).

Weird tangent, but I've played Paranoia but slightly twisted, where you're a team of low-level Inquisition agents in Warhammer 40K, and each agent of course has various objectives from persons inside the Inquisition as well as totally-well-meaning-not-cults-trust-us-bro. It's stunning how well Paranoia works for really dark humor 40k poo poo.

Yes, the inspiration for mixing the two was Darktide. I need to bug the DM about doing it again.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 23, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

wilderthanmild posted:

Anybody else notice medals not being properly deducted when buying stuff at the warbonds shop? Like I spent from 10 down to 0, get 5 on a mission, come back and have 15. Seems like it's happened a couple times to me.

I doubt you're finding ten medals on a mission, but the ones that you find in the field don't show up on the rewards screen so the totals don't always add up. You also might be completing the daily missions, which I don't think give you any sort of acknowledgement besides extra medals showing up in your total.

Speaking of which, have they said what's happening with the daily missions? I am like 5 medals away from the JAR-5 and I coulda gotten it tonight if we didn't miss two missions in a row.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ive definitely picked up packs of 3 medals from hidey holes. So i could see a lucky run having ten maybe

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

wilderthanmild posted:

The main warbond page doesnt update sometime but your accurate medal count will show up when you go into the individual warbonds.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I finally hit 20 tonight and rolled out the Railgun for the first time. Why is this thing so good? It's got 20 shots with a reload after each one, so I'm just using the Breaker most of the time, and pulling it out once in a while. I think I played on a lower difficulty to get used to it, so I guess I didn't really give it enough heavies to shine maybe? I used it to kill a Hulk pretty easily, but I coulda done that with an EAT too and had an actual weapon to use afterwards.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

drat I agree with everything else everyone has said about how awful this game is to play with matchmaking. Pretty much every group I join has someone in voice comms yelling at everyone else to stick together, move slowly, and make sure you kill everything before moving on. Most of them can't complete a single mission and are sure it's because people are moving too fast.

Some groups are cool though

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 23, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

deep dish peat moss posted:

drat I agree with everything else everyone has said about how awful this game is to play with matchmaking. Pretty much every group I join has someone in voice comms yelling at everyone else to stick together, move slowly, and make sure you kill everything before moving on. Most of them can't complete a single mission and are sure it's because people are moving too fast.

Mute them and conduct virtuous missions.

I've had a few teams like this. I just go to the main objectives and solo them while all the enemies are drawn to the non stop thunder of three clowns fighting for their lives because they don't know when to book it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have had wonderful people so far. All very kind and supportive

Worst person I’ve had is someone who didn’t have push to talk in it so I heard them chewin and breathing and burping lol

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Phenotype posted:

I finally hit 20 tonight and rolled out the Railgun for the first time. Why is this thing so good? It's got 20 shots with a reload after each one, so I'm just using the Breaker most of the time, and pulling it out once in a while. I think I played on a lower difficulty to get used to it, so I guess I didn't really give it enough heavies to shine maybe? I used it to kill a Hulk pretty easily, but I coulda done that with an EAT too and had an actual weapon to use afterwards.

It's mostly just super versatile, it's powerful, it works at range, it's got loads of ammo, and it will break a Chargers leg armor in two shots.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I have had wonderful people so far. All very kind and supportive

Worst person I’ve had is someone who didn’t have push to talk in it so I heard them chewin and breathing and burping lol

I've mostly gotten good enough pubbies when I've played. I'd say only like 25% of the games have voice comms going, but when they do it's a lot.

Lots of that no push to talk open mouth chewing nonsense too though. I wish you could mute people. (Actually I never checked!)

Worst I had was a guy who would constantly run into like point blank range with mobs of enemies I'd already throw stratagems at and kept flipping out about it. Like it already doesn't make sense to close that much range with them, but even less sense then! He was like a dog chasing a ball lol

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

wilderthanmild posted:

Lots of that no push to talk open mouth chewing nonsense too though. I wish you could mute people. (Actually I never checked!)

You can. On PC, hit escape and pick whoever the talker is from the list. Click their name and it'll bring up a mute option.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

It's mostly just super versatile, it's powerful, it works at range, it's got loads of ammo, and it will break a Chargers leg armor in two shots.

Should I be using it on swarms or does it only hit one thing? IDK, it just seems so unwieldly to have to reload after every shot, and you don't get the satisfying feedback you get with the other weapons so I can't really tell that it's so powerful except that things fall over when I hit them. It also annoyingly will kill the robot walkers but pop the drivers out unharmed.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

deep dish peat moss posted:

Some groups are cool though

What difficulty is this at?

And yes, you can mute people!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

playing on hard and I’m getting about the same amount of common sampies i was getting on the early difficulty levels. is there a difficulty level where you get tons?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The breaker (spray and pray?) Non-elemental auto shotgun is great. It does tons of damage but has no power against armor. It can still kill walkers from the front. The railgun has 20 rounds, needs a fairly quick reload after every round, is not as powerful as the eat-it but still penetrates all armour and can kill an armoured robot flamer chainsaw giant with 2 shots to the front armor. It can kill a bug charger with 3 shots to the same leg. It instantly kills most other things. 20 shots is like 7-8 eat-it's. It's not like the grenade launcher where each grenade damages tons of enemies and you can just spray and pray, but it kills things the grenade launcher struggles to kill and will use an entire clip or two on.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

The only bad experience I have is when I hit quickplay and get paired up with two or three morons who go wtf how is someone joining??? what's happening??? get out!!! and then I ignore the impulse to blow out my mic screaming because you don't have friends only enabled dumbasses!!!!!! and just leave. Otherwise playing with randos has been very enjoyable.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

This is 100% untrue and i've tested it twice. You are just getting confused over who is holding the samples at extraction.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Should I be using it on swarms or does it only hit one thing? IDK, it just seems so unwieldly to have to reload after every shot, and you don't get the satisfying feedback you get with the other weapons so I can't really tell that it's so powerful except that things fall over when I hit them. It also annoyingly will kill the robot walkers but pop the drivers out unharmed.

Couple of things:

1) Railgun deletes the hard targets that your primary doesn't clean up. So on harder difficulties, you'll see more sentinel guards, brood commanders, which requires a little bit of work with your primary due to the hp/armor rating of the termanid. Railgun just deletes them, no fuss no muss (shoot em in the head). That can he helpful on harder difficulties when you have higher density of bugs and don't really have the luxury of time as other fuckers spawn in/path in due to the sound of the fight.

2) for robits, especially the AT-ST if you're shooting the robits and the driver pops out, you missed the driver. I tend to take them head on and aim for just under the eye slit, centre mass. That should put both the driver and the vehicle down.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can you use the rail gun and the supply pack? Because I think you can, and if so... :popeye:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

patch has restored freedom, I was able to get in twice instantly during prime time with no issues.

Janissary Hop posted:

The only bad experience I have is when I hit quickplay and get paired up with two or three morons who go wtf how is someone joining??? what's happening??? get out!!! and then I ignore the impulse to blow out my mic screaming because you don't have friends only enabled dumbasses!!!!!! and just leave. Otherwise playing with randos has been very enjoyable.

it's really easy to throw the SOS beacon by accident because it's like 1 input off from reinforce and activating it once persists across missions.

I'm unable to invite at all when my lobby is set to friends only, the game says it's private and blocks them from joining. So I have to set it to public, invite, and set back to friends only to keep pubs out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

Can you use the rail gun and the supply pack? Because I think you can, and if so... :popeye:

You can but I wouldn't bother if you just want to feed the railgun. It's not that ammo hungry. You're being kind to the other players though.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

You can! I unlocked the railgun last night and have been running that exact combo, to great effect.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Thom and the Heads posted:

I fear the game may actually be mid.

Just curious what's the point of posts like this

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

JBP posted:

You can but I wouldn't bother if you just want to feed the railgun. It's not that ammo hungry. You're being kind to the other players though.

I will kill everything.

blastron posted:

You can! I unlocked the railgun last night and have been running that exact combo, to great effect.

Cool! That's exciting!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Spudd posted:

Just curious what's the point of posts like this

Seems like an innocent enough opinion

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I will kill everything.

There is always a heap of ammo around. A dominator (or breaker if you're one of those people) kills better than a railgun for anything that isn't a charger or titan.

As I said you're being nice and it's nice to have an ammo bag, but I'd rather take just about anything else than dedicate two slots to the railgun and ammo for it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Get pulled into some Helldivers with friends from one of the goon co-op servers. We have some fun with the bugs, I teach them new stuff, let them try out some of my fancier weapons they don't have, etc.

Then we go to fight bots.

Me: "We're going to stealth this. Because neither of you have fought the Automatons yet and the bots are a whole different ball game."

So we do. Only hitting a couple side objectives and the occasional patrol in overwhelming force. I think they're learning and once we do the objective it's time for the exfil.

One of them: "Hey let's blow up this base on our way."

Me: "The big base? The biggest, red, danger hash on the map?"

THAT guy: "Yeah"

Other guy: "If he wants to"

Me, internally: This is going to be an education.

2 tanks, 2 turrets and a goliath later, we're running for the hills like scared children and barely make it out after running out of reinforcements.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Suicide mission robots is pretty spicy

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

team-loaded recoilless rifle is sick when it works except every time we tried to use it was a coinflip whether it would bug out and instantly cancel the reload animation until we swapped who had the RR and who had the support pack. feels like too much of a liability to count on until that's fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Next time I do an Extreme evac I'm bring the orbitals lol, first time I actually fully wiped. We just couldn't take down that many dreadnoughts without them. Any civilians who blow up to it were probably traitors anyway