Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This reminds me so much of Narendra Modi.

How is his and Trump's relationship? I remember he did have a trip to India where he mispronounced Tendulkar's name. But I dunno if he has said/done anything in particular in praise of the BJP's anti-muslim fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Stunt-Puffin posted:

They are now calling for the overthrow of democracy at CPAC as a trial balloon. The audience is politely applauding so it's fair to assume this will be normalized in a few months just like 'nationalist' was.

Everyone bothered by this should get licensed, buy a handgun and a safe, and take a training course. I've stopped caring about the moral elitists who are too above it all to take these basic precautions.

Thank you, I am now armed and have purchased a large gun safe which will hold many guns.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there any country that is comparable to the US in terms of just completely going insane? I mean throughout history?

The word "Brexit" springs to mind

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

MadcapLaughs posted:

Is this a private religious school? If so I mean every depiction I've seen of jesus christ he's got long hair. My mom used to tell me all the time that I need to cut my long hair until I used that argument on her. "If jesus can have long hair why can't i" never heard her say anything about my hair since.

public school district

the superintendant sounds like a peach and not at all racist with a hint of fascism

quote:

In January, Poole placed a full page ad in the Houston Chronicle, arguing that “being an American requires conformity with the positive benefit of unity,” CNN previously reported.

“Barbers Hill ISD will continue to make decisions to protect and fight for the rights of its community to set the standards and expectations for our school district even if that path takes us to the U.S. Supreme Court,” he wrote in the ad.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/22/us/darryl-george-crown-act-trial-texas-reaj/index.html

unless he cut his hair since the suspension i can't even understand the complaint, it looks fairly short and tight. unless they're somehow counting how long it would be if unbraided or something?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bird with big dick posted:

Thank you, I am now armed and have purchased a large gun safe which will hold many guns.
Is there an official Leftist Gun Company or do you just buy twenty AR-15s and call it a day?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

BrigadierSensible posted:

This reminds me so much of Narendra Modi.

How is his and Trump's relationship? I remember he did have a trip to India where he mispronounced Tendulkar's name. But I dunno if he has said/done anything in particular in praise of the BJP's anti-muslim fascism.

Truth be told, there wasn't much of one between them. There was just one meeting and a couple partnerships were signed, but Modi and Trump held basically the same views when it came to Islamic extremism and terrorism, which is about the only commonality you'd find between them. Modi had a warmer relationship with Obama by comparison.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there any country that is comparable to the US in terms of just completely going insane? I mean throughout history?

can not remember the details
during the crusades, when the crusaders had Muslims allies against some enemy, they turned on the Muslim allies for some reason.

Xenophon heel turns.

The wars of religion. English civil war. Russian civil wars.

Boomers will be the most studied generation in the history of modern humanity.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, there was that one recent report about Argentina which showed half the population lives in poverty. Does that count?

E: oh yeah, Brexit.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Waltzing Along posted:

Just picking the obvious ones off the top of my head. Germany, Italy, North Korea, Russia, Cambodia, Iraq, and Japan.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Rome had an emperor who liked to suck and gently caress but decided that was too much for them

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
It's racism. In regards to the black kid in Texas. It's racism the whole way down in Texas.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Samovar posted:

Well, there was that one recent report about Argentina which showed half the population lives in poverty. Does that count?

E: oh yeah, Brexit.

so theyre doing better than we are...

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Can someone explain the Trump gave money to HBCUs thing? Because NPR had some black Trump voters on to explain their position and when asked about Charlottesville the guy went on some rant specifically about giving hbcus money

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
The Dutch lynched and ate their prime minister once I recently learned, this place be wild.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WhyteRyce posted:

Can someone explain the Trump gave money to HBCUs thing? Because NPR had some black Trump voters on to explain their position and when asked about Charlottesville the guy went on some rant specifically about giving hbcus money
Probably snuck under the radar.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dr.Smasher posted:

It's racism. In regards to the black kid in Texas. It's racism the whole way down in Texas.

also Rome's gay emperor

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SquirrelGrip posted:

The Dutch lynched and ate their prime minister once I recently learned, this place be wild.

Sadly Trump made himself too repulsive to be edible so you are stuck with him

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Hadrian built the border wall! MRGA!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

:vince:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

lol

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
It says "SHOOT BALL" but really it should say "TAZE BALL"

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

biznatchio posted:

It says "SHOOT BALL" but really it should say "TAZE BALL"
Tasers are also things that shoot. :v:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I would google Khmer Rouge. It could always be worse. They set the bar as low as it could go so far.

They were basically tankie posters who got power.

Their idea was they'd be completely self sufficient so everybody was supposed to be a farmer and also contribute things like iron.

It turns out not everyone is cut out to be a farmer and making pig iron in your back yard is actually very low quality.

Then Pol Pot being the genius he is, after murdering, genociding, and starving his people, fearing a Vietnam invasion, invaded Vietnam. Which promptly invaded and easily overthrew them in a year with support of Cambodians.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 23, 2024

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Batterypowered7 posted:

Can England stop electing the Tories, please?

Working on it!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I would google Khmer Rouge. It could always be worse. They set the bar as low as it could go so far.

They were basically tankie posters who got power.

Their idea was they'd be completely self sufficient so everybody was supposed to be a farmer and also contribute things like iron.

It turns out not everyone is cut out to be a farmer and making pig iron in your back yard is actually very low quality.

Then Pol Pot being the genius he is, after murdering, genociding, and starving his people, fearing a Vietnam invasion, invaded Vietnam. Which promptly invaded and easily overthrew them in a year with support of Cambodians.

I mean yes, there were movements that were more insane than the GOP, but I think what's pretty unique about the US is that the mass insanity is embraced by 50% of the population and normalized by the other 50% as something they need to respect and as part of civil discourse. Even in Germany during the rise of Nazism people at least were polarized and knew it was abnormal, dangerous and something to fight against, they just lost due to stupid power deals made by top level opportunists.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

I mean yes, there were movements that were more insane than the GOP, but I think what's pretty unique about the US is that the mass insanity is embraced by 50% of the population and normalized by the other 50% as something they need to respect and as part of civil discourse. Even in Germany during the rise of Nazism people at least were polarized and knew it was abnormal, dangerous and something to fight against, they just lost due to stupid power deals made by top level opportunists.

I don't think those numbers are true at all, you're conflating "voters" with "citizens"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't think those numbers are true at all, you're conflating "voters" with "citizens"

Every day another facet of trump / GOP sociopathy fades into the background as part of the political climate and another, more radical facet emerges to be normalized in the future. Maybe lots of people don't actively approve, but they are apathetic and indifferent to an extent that should not exist in a nominally free society.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

In 2016 it came out that South Korea's president was being controlled by a "Korean Rasputin"-type figure.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_South_Korean_political_scandal

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

Every day another facet of trump / GOP sociopathy fades into the background as part of the political climate and another, more radical facet emerges to be normalized in the future. Maybe lots of people don't actively approve, but they are apathetic and indifferent to an extent that should not exist in a nominally free society.

Yeah I agree that the majority of the country is way, way too apathetic. Just pushing back on the "50% of the US embrace MAGA" because it's a common narrative and one which only serves to bolster their bullshit

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I live in New england and in the last 20 years my overwhelmingly dem state has legalized gay marriage, decriminalized and then legalized borh medical and recreational weed, and just recently enacted protections for out of state abortion seekers to not be prosecuted back in their chud states. Maine recently instituted ranked choice voting.

The gop has lost its mind and its sad that it has as much support as it does but I think perspective is important. A lot of what we're seeing is just classic reactionary poo poo, regressives trying to put the genie back in the bottle. And it always fails eventually, and will fail more as the older generations go away.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Untrustable posted:

"Korean Rasputin"

Some top-tier usernames in this thread recently

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

The funniest part is that mikes own handpicked adjudicator didn’t even side with him lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Then Pol Pot being the "GENIUS" he iswas, after murdering, genociding, and starving his people, fearing a Vietnam invasion, invaded Vietnam. Which promptly invaded and easily overthrew them in a year with support of Cambodians.

And Communist Vietnam immediately disproved domino theory

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

SquirrelGrip posted:

This happened during the Rampjaar which was pretty insane in general

The Netherlands was the wealthiest country in the world in the early to mid 17th century so this was quite a blow, I'm told

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I REALLY want to know who this guy was directly working with, bet it's Rudy, Bannon, and Stone directly.

I imagine they rearrested him because he's a flight risk/ actively committing more crime?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is what I meant earlier:

Florida is a lost cause: that state is completely loving insane

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Maps don't really do justice to the size of the US. To get from northern Alabama to Middle Florida is a 10 hour drive. 560 miles. Basically almost the distance from Berlin to Paris.

Getting from the top of Florida down to Miami in the south is a similar distance.

Alabama to the Mexican border is nearly triple the distance.

This is why people can't just travel out of state for abortions.

... it's not far from Paris to Berlin though? It takes about 3 hours longer to go from the middle of Norway to southern Norway - 6 hours longer if you go from where it's as far to the northern as it is to the southern point. That's a longer journey than driving through California

Don't get me wrong, I do get your point and agree with you - I just think it's a bad comparison to Europe in terms of travel time

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Anders posted:

... it's not far from Paris to Berlin though? It takes about 3 hours longer to go from the middle of Norway to southern Norway - 6 hours longer if you go from where it's as far to the northern as it is to the southern point. That's a longer journey than driving through California

Don't get me wrong, I do get your point and agree with you - I just think it's a bad comparison to Europe in terms of travel time

The contiguous US and Europe are pretty comparable size wise (Europe used to be bigger than the contiguous US but I guess all of Russia is definitively Not Europe now due to ideological distinction).

The cultural differences in distance perception seem to be more about American lack of public transport infrastructure, and the corollary of American willingness to commute insane distances by car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Waltzing Along posted:

USSR after Stalin got into power
China when Mao started the Cultural Revolution
Poland
Germany in 1932
France during the Jacobins

I think it's the first time the worlds largest superpower does though, but it's not unique in a historical context