Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Speaking of HBO miniseries, watching the first season For All Mankind lately and its really making me want to rewatch From the Earth to the Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Speaking of HBO miniseries, watching the first season For All Mankind lately and its really making me want to rewatch From the Earth to the Moon.

If you haven't seen it recently, they remastered it for HD and it's as good as ever. I like to watch The Right Stuff, From The Earth to the Moon and Apollo 13.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Cojawfee posted:

So hopefully that means we aren't going to get Mustangs doing loving cobra maneuvers and thrust vectoring.

Hmm, that sounds like it’s be fun.

What isn’t fun is the first episode. Just a bunch of disconnected scenes, with no context, order, connection or narrative.

Only about 2 of the characters have any character development at all, most barely have any dialogue outside of ‘plane is sick’ or equivalent.

Whoever directed that episode was having a stroke or something.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Pretty disappointing. There is absolutely no base-level characterisation here to make us care about who these people are.

The great thing about BoB ep 1 was that we see all of these guys going through a lovely situation together. There are moments of dialogue and character that build a story.

"Lt Sobel does not hate Easy Company. He just hates you." <- case in point. You see the team-building.

It feels like there is nothing the same here. There are moments of interesting character points. But the great thing about BoB was that it first made you care about the characters, then threw them into a terrible situation. There were stakes.

Characters died in these two episodes and I didn't feel a thing.

Cool battle scenes though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it would have helped if we had seen their training to get to this point. I agree that BoB worked because we saw them from basic training. We saw the team building. We saw them learning how to become soldiers. The first episode of this should have been entirely them training how to work as a team in the bombers. We should have seen the pilots learn how to handle the plane, how the navigator learned to plot their course, how the bombardier learned how to use the bomb sight, how the gunners learned how to shoot at enemy fighters. Then see all the teams learn how to get into and fly in formation. They could maybe salvage some of it by having flashbacks of training that then transition into the real combat situation, but I doubt that will happen. I will keep watching because I like WWII flying, but this will be no where near Band of Brothers.

Edit: Also, I don't understand what they are trying to do with Crosby. Is he a good navigator or not? Our introduction to him is him loving up the navigation. The other times they ask him for a heading and he's all "uhhh, doing some calcuations. *throws up for 20 seconds* uhh, turn left heading 153". Was that the right heading? Does he know what he's doing? They are portraying him like he's just guessing.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 26, 2024

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Agreed they should have shown the training. I want to see a sense of shorthand and in-jokes that come from that type of stressful situation.

I also don't really get a sense of who's in charge of who. The Air Chief is in charge but he's a drunken wreck? I don't really get who everyone is in relation to each other.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

Okay yeah, after episode 2 Bucky is just really loving annoying, he seems like an absolutely insufferable and exhausting person to be around. Maybe that's the point? Like, I get the feeling his "best friend" Buck (a nickname that Bucky forced on him) can't really stand him either?

I feel a bit mean making judgment calls like that given these are based (as far as I know) on real people/relationships so I guess just put it down to the performance not really nailing whatever the actual people were like?

I did like that even though most of them spoke highly of Winters, you'd still get guys going,"Yeah he was okay... as far as ranking officers went :shrug:"

Aviation nicknames are kinda forced on you.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

wooger posted:

Hmm, that sounds like it’s be fun.

What isn’t fun is the first episode. Just a bunch of disconnected scenes, with no context, order, connection or narrative.

Only about 2 of the characters have any character development at all, most barely have any dialogue outside of ‘plane is sick’ or equivalent.

Whoever directed that episode was having a stroke or something.

The first episode felt like they borrowed (badly) from Memphis Belle, and I feel like the time wasted in Greenland could've been used with an opener showcasing their last bombing practice.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Aviation nicknames are kinda forced on you.

Yeah, and they're almost never complimentary.

There's a legendary story about how a Hornet pilot got the callsign "STAB." It's short for "poo poo Twice And Boltered." Source: https://www.theautopian.com/how-i-got-my-navy-callsign-by-making GBS threads-myself-in-an-f-a-18-fighter-jet-twice/

In Top Gun, Jester had the best callsign because he had zero chill, and Goose had the second best because of his laugh.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 27, 2024

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

jisforjosh posted:

My stream buffered and paused right here and really made me notice how off the compositing is

I'm staring at that frame thinking "I swear to god I've seen this somewhere before..."

And then it hit me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPyhSphlKH4&t=246s

Spielbeeeeeeerg!!!!! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eason the Fifth has made a Masters of the Air thread for those interested in discussing it more in depth.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The first episode felt like they borrowed (badly) from Memphis Belle, and I feel like the time wasted in Greenland could've been used with an opener showcasing their last bombing practice.

Yeah, and they're almost never complimentary.

There's a legendary story about how a Hornet pilot got the callsign "STAB." It's short for "poo poo Twice And Boltered." Source: https://www.theautopian.com/how-i-got-my-navy-callsign-by-making GBS threads-myself-in-an-f-a-18-fighter-jet-twice/

In Top Gun, Jester had the best callsign because he had zero chill, and Goose had the second best because of his laugh.

What's even more hilarious is you can ask to be given a new callsign after a while, but you roll the dice the other officers doesn't come up with something worse

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Coco, coco!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Was Extrapolations any good? I remember being interested in watching it when it dropped but I didn’t because it seemed like a huge downer.

I just finished the latest season of For All Mankind and I’m looking for something else vaguely sci-fi-ish to watch

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

Was Extrapolations any good? I remember being interested in watching it when it dropped but I didn’t because it seemed like a huge downer.

I liked it, but it's a huge downer. And a bit silly.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Watched the first episode of Constellation today starring Noomi Rapace, James d'Acy and Jonathan Banks. Rapace plays an astronaut aboard the ISS where an experiment to discover a new state of matter is done and it goes as well as these things go usually. Not sure if this a Dark or Event Horizon kind of reality breakdown but a painting in her cabin is now different so alternate realities seem like a good bet.

I liked it a lot so far, Rapace is always compelling to watch, even in some recent questionable quality work and it looks great with Michelle MacLaren of Breaking Bad directing. Good space stuff too like how to do zero-G CPR.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there a Monarch thread, because i finished watching it recently and I loved the poo poo out of it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Uh yeah just finished first episode of Constellation and this is equal parts Event Horizon, 12 Monkeys, and the house parts of Returnal for sure. Crazy stuff. Really good.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Blind Rasputin posted:

Uh yeah just finished first episode of Constellation and this is equal parts Event Horizon, 12 Monkeys, and the house parts of Returnal for sure. Crazy stuff. Really good.

That sounds loving awesome. Watching this tonight!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

I really hope it keeps this up.

One of my favourite writers, Robert Shearman, has contributed a script to this season and I'm so psyched for it. He's an excellent playwright and short story writer.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh nice, sounds great

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Criminal Record is so so good.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

Came here to post this, the last episode just came out and they absolutely stuck the landing.

The best cop drama I've seen in years. Nuanced writing, a proper sense of intrigue that sustains its hooks all the way into the final episode, powerhouse performances from Peter Capaldi and Cush Jumbo, and the sparks absolutely fly whenever they're on screen together.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 22, 2024

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a Monarch thread, because i finished watching it recently and I loved the poo poo out of it.

This is the only thread I've seen for commenting on how disappointing it was that Cate didn't suffer a horrible death when she fell down the hole.

Snake Plissken is good in it though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m a few episodes behind, I know that Capaldi is supposed to be the bad guy, but I’m still cheering for him because Cush Jumbo’s character is such a massive hypocrite and a bit of a terrible person.

Blind Rasputin posted:

12 monkeys the movie or tv series?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm 3 episodes deep and i have no loving idea is going on.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Oasx posted:

Cush Jumbo’s character is such a massive hypocrite and a bit of a terrible person.

Yeah I don’t know if it’s her previous roles or just her behaviour in this being gratingly dumb but I’m not exactly on her side either.

Starting out by abusing access to the numberplate database for her Mum is not exactly smart.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm enjoying it, it's very well-written. I really liked the first 2 episodes but the third felt a bit slow. The second episode took its time as well but it was very effective given what was happening.

Spoilers for all 3 episodes:
One thing I didn't realize for a bit given everything else going on is that while the show is playing with the idea of parallel universes, it's also an alt-history timeline where apparently Apollo 18 actually happened and there was some sort of settlement on the Moon at some point. And the various countries seem like they're amicable with each other since the US has no issues with sitting around performing space missions and highly advanced research with and in Russia. And all the Caldera stuff seems to tie into past events indicating the space programs continued beyond what happened in real life.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Constellation seems like it will be atleast worth seeing to the end given the reviews but I don't know if I can handle the child actor going "mummy!" all the time.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I'm 3 episodes deep and i have no loving idea is going on.

I think in the show, space travel also is alternate world travel. If you leave Earth you end up coming back to a different one. Bud went to the moon but when coming back he ended up in a reality where he messed up something that killed the other astronauts. And his dog had a different name which the Alex Jones guy thinks means he's lying about everything. Jo has come back to a world where she is estranged from her husband, her daughter speaks no Swedish, she seems to have a relation with the ESA boss and her car is a different color. Both Bud and Irina talk about their brother/sister so there seems to be some awareness with them of other versions of themselves.
In the hearing Irina looked like knew exactly how right Jo was about the corpse (another Irina) but could not say that and quickly ended the session.

If this is indeed true that means space travel is pretty much impossible and Bud's experiments are to find ways to deal with it. The experiment is not held on the ISS for the zero gravity but to be away from Earth. And when he sees the experiment work on Earth he's shocked, this should be impossible. Maybe the experiment brought the reality fuckery to Earth as demonstrated by the strange poo poo Jo sees as she's carrying around the canister with the experimental matter.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CeeJee posted:

I think in the show, space travel also is alternate world travel. If you leave Earth you end up coming back to a different one. Bud went to the moon but when coming back he ended up in a reality where he messed up something that killed the other astronauts. And his dog had a different name which the Alex Jones guy thinks means he's lying about everything. Jo has come back to a world where she is estranged from her husband, her daughter speaks no Swedish, she seems to have a relation with the ESA boss and her car is a different color. Both Bud and Irina talk about their brother/sister so there seems to be some awareness with them of other versions of themselves.
In the hearing Irina looked like knew exactly how right Jo was about the corpse (another Irina) but could not say that and quickly ended the session.

If this is indeed true that means space travel is pretty much impossible and Bud's experiments are to find ways to deal with it. The experiment is not held on the ISS for the zero gravity but to be away from Earth. And when he sees the experiment work on Earth he's shocked, this should be impossible. Maybe the experiment brought the reality fuckery to Earth as demonstrated by the strange poo poo Jo sees as she's carrying around the canister with the experimental matter.

Yeah, i didn't get most of that. I really should pay attention more instead of trying to kill mosters when i watch space timey wimey stuff.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Oasx posted:

I’m a few episodes behind, I know that Capaldi is supposed to be the bad guy, but I’m still cheering for him because Cush Jumbo’s character is such a massive hypocrite and a bit of a terrible person.

They’ve both got really deep flaws, different flaws, but also they’re both very 3 dimensional, fully fleshed out people.

It’s good to see TV that doesn’t give easy answers.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Watched the Capaldi cop show, kind of wish it was just a mini series but they definitely leave things open for more seasons.

Not sure how they can keep things going if it does get picked up.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Constellation is so loving weird and good. I haven't been lost in a show like this for years. I'm just waiting to figure out things and god damnit, I'll probably never understand and way smarter people then me made this show.

The only thing that pisses me off is the product placement. If I see another iPhone or iWatch.

Edit: oh jeez, they've introduced iPads and now it's floating through space. It's a good show, but seriously?

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 23, 2024

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ShowTime posted:

I'll probably never understand and way smarter people then me made this show.

Episode 3 really kinda made me go "maybe they don't know what they're doing".

Your noble prize winning scientist doesn't have a back up plan to record results on the Russian equipment? The Russian equipment doesn't have recording capabilities at all?!

Apparently reviews say the wrap a lot of the questions up pretty nice though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Your noble prize winning scientist doesn't have a back up plan to record results on the Russian equipment? The Russian equipment doesn't have recording capabilities at all?!
It may not make sense that they didn't try, but given what's shown would that have worked?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

He tried to record the image on the screen with his phone, and it still didn't work. The implication is that the phenomenon is impossible to record due to quantum whatever.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

SimonChris posted:

He tried to record the image on the screen with his phone, and it still didn't work. The implication is that the phenomenon is impossible to record due to quantum whatever.

Yes, they could have made that way more apparent with like 10 seconds more of the scene and not make one of your main characters look like an idiot

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 23, 2024

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I finished up episode 3 of Constellation and hot drat aren't Noomi Rapace and Jonathan Banks killing it? Jonathan Banks is giving me hard Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul vibes.

I'm trying to research this new state of, and maybe someone smarter than me has some insight into it: matter. This new thing they were looking at was found and is clearly affecting everything. I guess plasma? We clearly see them exist in two states at once. I don't know what that could be, but i think they found it. Episode 3 talking ahead. We get shots of things like Alice walking down an alley, one behind the other. One is in front, goes a direction and the other is behind, a little slower and we don't know the direction. They're talking about existing in two places at once, I don't get it. Some things are pretty clear, as far as the back story, which is I think ultimately gonna wrap up this show. Jo and Frederic are loving. It's why Jo and Magnus, well among probably several things, are having issues.

Also, wtf does Henry, "Bud" have? He's looking worse and worse over time. These spots on his skin. Him and Irene are taking these same pills. I'm pretty loving lost here, right now. I have an idea of what's going on, but I feel like I don't.

Good show, worth watching.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ShowTime posted:

I finished up episode 3 of Constellation and hot drat aren't Noomi Rapace and Jonathan Banks killing it? Jonathan Banks is giving me hard Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul vibes.

I'm trying to research this new state of, and maybe someone smarter than me has some insight into it: matter. This new thing they were looking at was found and is clearly affecting everything. I guess plasma? We clearly see them exist in two states at once. I don't know what that could be, but i think they found it. Episode 3 talking ahead. We get shots of things like Alice walking down an alley, one behind the other. One is in front, goes a direction and the other is behind, a little slower and we don't know the direction. They're talking about existing in two places at once, I don't get it. Some things are pretty clear, as far as the back story, which is I think ultimately gonna wrap up this show. Jo and Frederic are loving. It's why Jo and Magnus, well among probably several things, are having issues.

Also, wtf does Henry, "Bud" have? He's looking worse and worse over time. These spots on his skin. Him and Irene are taking these same pills. I'm pretty loving lost here, right now. I have an idea of what's going on, but I feel like I don't.

Good show, worth watching.

CeeJee above pretty much nailed where I think they're going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

12 monkeys the movie or tv series?

They almost definitely mean the film, but Constellation has Barbara Sukowa.