Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm glad they are letting Issa Lopez do another season even though this season sucked and I won't watch 5 because i'm sure Nic Pizzolatto is very upset about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It’s gonna be good this time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’d love to see what she does if released from the demand to include superficial ties to the first season.

It’s kind of wild they’re not transitioning it to a true anthology with different writer/directors but are instead sticking with Lopez. I hope she can do better than Nick pizza latte going from a project developed slowly to a second season that has to start production in eight months.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

When the guy said Time is a Flat Circle, I stood up and clapped.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The superficial ties to season 1 sucked but they aren't why season 4 is bad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Panzeh posted:

The superficial ties to season 1 sucked but they aren't why season 4 is bad.
^^^

TheBizzness posted:

It’s gonna be good this time.

unlikely

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
There were a lot of problems with this season but I enjoyed watching it with my wife anyway :)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

There were a lot of problems with this season but I enjoyed watching it with my wife anyway :)

we both hated it but it was fun to gawk at

we we also watching Station 11 concurrently which is also flawed but far far better so that just made it look awful by comparison

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TrueDetective/status/1760741248397189619?t=0yXttsAZ3AMxAaUic5Ajew&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nooo lol it's all downhill from here

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I really hope it's True Detective Season 2, Part 2. Maybe Bezzerides and Velcoro's ghost can team up in Venezuela.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope Lopez says season 5 is about the secret occult history of the US transportation system.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just hope we get even more ai posters with more insane reasonings on why the posters are ai

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mcmagic posted:

^^^

unlikely

If you can watch the Jets every week you can watch Season 5!

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I hope the lesson HBO and the David Zaslav Mindset take from this is that "True Detective" should be an anthology show where different show-runners get to make a 6-episode series cop show every few years.

the thing that ties it all together is spooky spirals.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Season 5 will be Detective Cloth investigating why Warner/Discovery has gone tits up despite a CEO cleverly releasing no product for tax reasons. He will turn out to be Rust's cousin, Zaslav, and he will also have the nickname Taxman.

Zaslav will say "Time Warner/Discovery is a flat circle of hammered poo poo."

The True Detective will be Dot.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I don't agree Night country has superficial ties to Season 1 -- I mean, it has that too, but I'd argue Season 4 is essentially a remake-reboot of Season 1, similar to the Jurassic World or Star Wars followups. Aside from the obvious, like the protagonists (the detective with a family who isn't keeping it together as well as they like to pretend and the traumatized badass detective who Sees Things), there's a ton of similar beats:

* One of the protagonists is struggling with grief after losing their child.
* The killer, with a distinctive injury, is spoken with early on, although the detectives don't make the connection until the final episode.
* The detectives kill someone and cover it up.
* A child makes an unsettling drawing that may or may not be connected to the case, although this is not followed up on.
* The detectives attempt to interview a survivor in a hospital.
* The Establishment leans on the detectives to shut the investigation down after an interview goes sideways.
* They conduct a spooky but largely unhelpful interview with someone who came too close to the supernatural.
* An old recording of a victim spurs the detectives to keep working the case.
* The detectives discover another cop is involved in the coverup.
* The protagonists have to venture into the heart of darkness alone to find the killer.

This absolutely needed to be called True Detective.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I hope its a team up cumulation season lead by Stan.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
For all the problems, people watched the drat thing to the finale. If they’re going to watch again is an open question.
You can go far in the business if you get ratings, deliver things on time/ on budget, and are decent to work with. You can survive for a long time just having three.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

vseslav.botkin posted:

I don't agree Night country has superficial ties to Season 1 -- I mean, it has that too, but I'd argue Season 4 is essentially a remake-reboot of Season 1, similar to the Jurassic World or Star Wars followups. Aside from the obvious, like the protagonists (the detective with a family who isn't keeping it together as well as they like to pretend and the traumatized badass detective who Sees Things), there's a ton of similar beats:

* One of the protagonists is struggling with grief after losing their child.
* The killer, with a distinctive injury, is spoken with early on, although the detectives don't make the connection until the final episode.
* The detectives kill someone and cover it up.
* A child makes an unsettling drawing that may or may not be connected to the case, although this is not followed up on.
* The detectives attempt to interview a survivor in a hospital.
* The Establishment leans on the detectives to shut the investigation down after an interview goes sideways.
* They conduct a spooky but largely unhelpful interview with someone who came too close to the supernatural.
* An old recording of a victim spurs the detectives to keep working the case.
* The detectives discover another cop is involved in the coverup.
* The protagonists have to venture into the heart of darkness alone to find the killer.

This absolutely needed to be called True Detective.

But what if they didn’t do this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How were the ratings for s2?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Night Country Season 2 will be called Day Country.

The mine opens back up and their waste/pollution is safely piped to the sea which is only a few hundred feet away.

Everyone is happy, the economy is booming again, they are able to reopen the Hardee's that closed down when the miners left.

But then the natives start getting angry because the whales, seals, sea lions and the other marine life they like to hunt and fish start getting poisoned.

Then a single orange rolls down main street.

Miners start reporting strange sightings in the mines and there's a collapse in one of their tunnels sealing all of the miners in. With only a single outstretched arm sticking out from the rubble, clutching a phone with a mysterious video suggesting they are not alone in those mines.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Supergroup of one cop from each season like the traveling wilburys

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ray Velcro's long lost cousin Hank Velcro pisses himself and then looks at the camera

Hank Velcro: "I'm apoplectic"

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
^^^
Yes, I'm all in.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
you know for a small mining town where everyone knows everyone else they sure had a lot of Stuff. A whole dang mental health facility!

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Oh yeah only the finest of mental healthcare in Ennis. You can really tell how in tune the workers there are with the spirits. They are acutely aware that when you live in the Night Country, you long for death every second of every day and the best thing for everyone is to just let mentally ill people walk out the door so they can freeze to death.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If ur Inuit and you kill yourself you just become a chill ghost with superpowers seems to be the lesson here

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
From what I see of the praise for this show over twitter and tiktok comments people are really into the girl power aspect of the final episode. They also love the ambiguous what is supernatural and what isn't aspect of the tongue. Goes to show you people don't ask for too much and not everything has to be explained as long as it's entertaining.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Mordja posted:

If ur Inuit and you kill yourself you just become a chill ghost with superpowers seems to be the lesson here

Well yes, free will and basic decision-making means you have to be Inuit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Doltos posted:

From what I see of the praise for this show over twitter and tiktok comments people are really into the girl power aspect of the final episode. They also love the ambiguous what is supernatural and what isn't aspect of the tongue. Goes to show you people don't ask for too much and not everything has to be explained as long as it's entertaining.

It was actually a decently entertaining season.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think this show has a very good central idea: poor, indigenous women are treated as invisible by society, so no one cares when one of them is murdered, but that invisibility then allows other women to exact vigilante justice back. This central, strong idea is saddled by lots of bad to terrible decisions at the micro level. That takes a show that could have been an all time great and brings it down for me to a c to c- cop show. I can quibble either direction, but it ends up in the neighborhood of the killing, season 3 of true detective or mare of easttown. Not terrible while watching, but probably the type of show Ill forget about for a few years.

As for the critical reception, this whole "critics are trying to be woke" discourse is annoying and tired.
The economics of TV criticism means that from a critic's perspective it is better to drop coverage than to savage a show you don't like. Pull up rotten tomatoes and you will see it. Season 11 of the x files was hot garbage and its "certified fresh." Every season of the walking dead is certified fresh. Last season of For All Mankind has 100%. It happens, no need to bring culture war bullshit into it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I want the montage where Nails goes across the country to put together the True Detectives who are still alive (and the ghost of Velcoro), so they can get together and deal with the new Tuttle menace.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought Nails was such a terrible name until he explained his back story and then I was like okay, this is pretty good.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I like how the True Detectives stared at a full forensic handprint of killer missing fingers and shrugged only to put two and two together instantly when they were presented with the same information on a way less ideal format and I can only assume they got the same patronizing flashback the viewer did.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

The_Rob posted:

But what if they didn’t do this.

Less people would watch it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

joepinetree posted:

I think this show has a very good central idea: poor, indigenous women are treated as invisible by society, so no one cares when one of them is murdered, but that invisibility then allows other women to exact vigilante justice back.

Yes, but also kinda no? IIRC the lab main plot would work more or less the same if you switch the genders of all the involved people. It feels more like a plot about oppression of native people in general. Unlike TD s1 or the recent Fargo season it doesn't examine forms of violence and oppression that disproportionately affect women.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

reggie la’dew

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

God help me, strapping in to watch S2 again after binging S1 a few weeks ago.

Will give it a fair shake. Now that I have a refresher of the absurdity of having 100 characters that don't mean much I might appreciate it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
it was an A+ and I still haven't watched it