Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wild EEPROM posted:

Great deal for the employer

Not only will you do what youve done before but now you’re doing it for free

A few years ago a trend started of "trial shifts" in retail positions where people would come in and work an eight hour day, the first half shadowing someone and the second half stocking shelves or whatever in hopes of getting jobs, all completely unpaid. At the time I thought that had to be illegal, but then I found out about some of the hoops people jump through for tech and sales jobs where they were solving problems for the business as part of the "application." Amazing racket, capitalism will always find a way to be as efficient as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lmao we purchased a 10G dark fiber circuit after talking to [A MAJOR NATIONWIDE INTERNET COMPANY]

turns out that the entire area this is in has a single 1G uplink that is now being upgraded

their engineering team must want to kill their sales team so much right now

dumb poo poo someone else's work does

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dude came by this morning claiming his laptop caught fire when he plugged it into the docking station this morning. The bottom was burnt to poo poo so I cracked it open to see the damage...

... There's none. It's loving pristine inside except for the fan that utterly caked in cigarette ash. All the damage is on the exterior and it's obvious where he held a flame or something hot to the case.

Bruh.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ooooooh get em. i despise that poo poo.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Shugojin posted:

lmao we purchased a 10G dark fiber circuit after talking to [A MAJOR NATIONWIDE INTERNET COMPANY]

turns out that the entire area this is in has a single 1G uplink that is now being upgraded

their engineering team must want to kill their sales team so much right now

dumb poo poo someone else's work does

hey!! A sales a sales!! If you don't look at the costs column, the sales numbers went up!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

ooooooh get em. i despise that poo poo.

Lol, the team lead replaced the computer no questions asked because the guy used to work on our team and "he wouldn't make something up like that". And now he's all pouty while our boss demanding a ticket number with photos of the computer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what was the play? He didn't want to work today for whatever reason so he created a hardware disaster? Had an older laptop than the person in the next cube over and wanted the new model?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cyrano4747 posted:

Had an older laptop than the person in the next cube over and wanted the new model?

its almost always this

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It's definitely a "I want a new machine"

We're switching from Dell to HP very slowly so people keep asking if they can get a HP when we replace their poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

its almost always this

I will never loving get this.

It's a work computer. Who gives a poo poo? If it doesn't meet your needs for the job, sure, get an upgrade. There are people out there who need some pretty slick workstations because they're crunching big numbers or whatever. But christ your typical person who just needs Office, email, Teams, and maybe Slack can get by with some pretty modest poo poo. I'm the dude who IT always gives side eye to when they finally realize I'm one of the last people with some obsolete crap they stopped supporting a year ago (right now it's a ca 2019 Surface and I am trying to fend off going in to get a replacement because it's fine, goddamnit, just leave me alone I really don't want to deal with migrating to a new machine right now)

Now, fancy new monitors to plug your crappy work laptop into? I will cut a motherfucker for a decent second monitor. Give me aaaaaaaaallll the goddamned screen real estate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Sounds like the computer is unsalvageable. Give him a new one and toss the busted laptop into your bag.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

Sounds like the computer is unsalvageable. Give him a new one and toss the busted laptop into your bag.

Don't need to do that since cybersecurity swung by with like 8 leet gamer rigs and said "We pulled the hard drives, so take what you want"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Outrail posted:

Sounds like the computer user is unsalvageable. Give him a new one and toss the busted laptop user into your bag out.

ftfy

gently caress liars.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We've had users admit to spilling wine on their computers and the only pushback we gave was "It wasn't the good stuff, was it?"

But if you lie - especially when we can tell what you actually did - we drop the loving hammer.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cthulu Carl posted:

We've had users admit to spilling wine on their computers and the only pushback we gave was "It wasn't the good stuff, was it?"

But if you lie - especially when we can tell what you actually did - we drop the loving hammer.

:smug::respek::smug:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lazyfire posted:

The issue is more that SAP doesn't report out into our other systems unless it's a production PO, and these aren't production POs. We need a recordkeeping system for these requests instead of just emailing a dude because some of these are government orders and the buyer code they are assigned to is "generic user" not a specific person. Why did you spend government money on a line where the entire set of details is "Per Vendor Operations Sheet?" is not a question you can answer with "Someone emailed me saying we needed to do that." When I told Compliance this was how the system had been operating for years with no oversight they were horrified, but then proceeded to completely ignore me whenever I asked for guidance or help for months, to the point I just stopped trying to engage with them. I was assigned a specific person to help out and she never once returned an email, IM or phone call.

That's kind of been the story of this job so far. People are flabbergasted at how things are run but completely happy to ignore it the second something else comes up. Hey, we should have all of our current operations in TeamCenter for easy access. Yes, say the manufacturing engineers, that's a great plan. That was six months ago and every time I mention it the guy who agreed we need to do just that he says it's really not his job and his team is too busy to dedicate time to something like that. Inversely, if I tell someone that I'm not doing part of their job for them I get calls and IMs from program management telling me I'm not a team player. I was supposed to do this for three months, it's been almost a year.

The good news is that I'm starting to get involved in the stuff I was supposed to be doing all along and getting contracts into place with key suppliers and my management is starting to lean on people to get another team to take the buying responsibility. It's going to be real fun to watch what happens when that becomes reality. I spent my first four years at the company working non-product stuff, I was used to writing a dozen weird orders per day, other people are going to be really confused when they have to deal with project engineers who just think telling you they want something magically creates all the background needed to get it done. Good luck, I know that most buyers in the company would have trouble not only with the volume of requests, but the legwork required, it's just not something we prep most people for.

murder you are work-famil

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

diremonk posted:

Unfortunately I've already agreed to go over to do the install. And if he is off air, then no money coming in so I'm in the same place I'm at now. But next time I speak to him I'm going to say that I'm not doing anything else until I get paid for my time. I've probably spent about 10 or so hours dealing with this over the last three months, so I'm going to tell him that I need to be paid for the work. If he doesn't like it he can find another engineer. The only reason I feel kind of bad is he lost his mom and sister two months apart last year and then had back surgery.

He did pay me $200 for doing some network troubleshooting a long time ago when I did work for him so I know he'll pay. If he doesn't, that's what spam filters and number blocking is for.

Your contractor rate is at least 3x your W2 rate per hour.
That being said, what are you getting out of this friendship? It's not unfortunate that you've already agreed, you can just unagree and then not do it. "Sorry, got COVID and can't go anywhere" or something if you feel bad enough to make an excuse.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a work computer. Who gives a poo poo? If it doesn't meet your needs for the job, sure, get an upgrade. There are people out there who need some pretty slick workstations because they're crunching big numbers or whatever. But christ your typical person who just needs Office, email, Teams, and maybe Slack can get by with some pretty modest poo poo. I'm the dude who IT always gives side eye to when they finally realize I'm one of the last people with some obsolete crap they stopped supporting a year ago (right now it's a ca 2019 Surface and I am trying to fend off going in to get a replacement because it's fine, goddamnit, just leave me alone I really don't want to deal with migrating to a new machine right now)

Now, fancy new monitors to plug your crappy work laptop into? I will cut a motherfucker for a decent second monitor. Give me aaaaaaaaallll the goddamned screen real estate.

I have tried, so many times, to push the argument that, instead of 2 1080p 20 inch monitors, I could be better off with a 4k 40 inch TV.

It would even be cheaper.

No one loving believes me. It's what I have at home! It's like having 4 monitors in a square formation! It's efficient! gently caress!

Also, the analytics manager is in a meeting so chuckle gently caress behind me is talking about that Russian satellite and it's turned into an argument about ether Hiroshima or 9/11 is worse.

This mouth breather is "but you engage in society, curious" embodied.

I'm gonna torch his 96 Honda Accord.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i constantly get the "you just watch sportcenter on your tv" nah

need to look at the global network map and cant do it nice even on giant wide monitors

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ravus Ursus posted:

I have tried, so many times, to push the argument that, instead of 2 1080p 20 inch monitors, I could be better off with a 4k 40 inch TV.

It would even be cheaper.

No one loving believes me. It's what I have at home! It's like having 4 monitors in a square formation! It's efficient! gently caress!

I've done the similar upgrade at home around the start of the pandemic, except that I got an absurd 42 Inch Dell monitor with an integrated USB-C hub and the ability to create a matrix with multiple inputs. They were on clearance, and I'm pretty sure it's because they failed to sell them to fintech people. It is indeed awesome.

But it's not for everyone. I cut my computing teeth on old MacOS (7 through 9 specifically), so I tend to always have a bunch of windows floating around and half-overlapping so that I can navigate through them just by clicking on whatever I want to be in focus. If you are used to maximizing windows, like ever, then it just doesn't work nearly as well as a multi-monitor setup.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Ravus Ursus posted:

I worked for a place that tried this for a single department with the idea of rolling it out wider and it was nothing but complaints from users. The main 2 were the eye strain from the lower refresh rate(we had TVs that only support 30hz at 4K) and neck strain from looking up. Specifically from looking at the top of the screen to enter URLs, we weren't able to train them to use anything other than fullscreen mode for applications.

The idea was scrapped

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a work computer. Who gives a poo poo? If it doesn't meet your needs for the job, sure, get an upgrade. There are people out there who need some pretty slick workstations because they're crunching big numbers or whatever. But christ your typical person who just needs Office, email, Teams, and maybe Slack can get by with some pretty modest poo poo.

Everyone understands that keystrokes and mouse clocks count in the grand scheme of how fast work gets done, why would you ever want to give your workers something that is probably just 'good enough' but that likely slows these things down for the worker?

This very same thought process from IT at a previous job led to me working a year with a computer that could not share my screen during client calls. Teams would just flip out and crash, every time. It was a loving early 2010s MacBook Air that was on its last legs. The IT response was it should be in spec for my 'modest' admin usage and they didn't understand the problem.

I ended up quitting that job because spending every day fighting against the very tool that's my main lens into work is miserable, and I have zero regrets. Gatekeeping whether people can have a slightly more expensive computer based on a limited understanding of their job responsibilities doesn't make sense to me, unless you personally have a budget you're responsible for managing and the use of the budget affects your job security. If that isn't the case and you're just a worker as well - then drat dude it's not your loving money, why do you care?

And even if you have to manage a budget, maybe don't get all hopped up on assuming people who ask for better tools are just shallow assholes doing it for the newest shiniest thing, because that's going to lead to bias for how you approach their needs and how to treat the users in general.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 22, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Any chance to take money from the bosses and cut into profit while also making your fellow workers lives easier is good. So go crazy. Give them all More Than Just Adequate tools.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I worked for a place that tried this for a single department with the idea of rolling it out wider and it was nothing but complaints from users. The main 2 were the eye strain from the lower refresh rate(we had TVs that only support 30hz at 4K) and neck strain from looking up. Specifically from looking at the top of the screen to enter URLs, we weren't able to train them to use anything other than fullscreen mode for applications.

The idea was scrapped

Once again, genius suffers because the masses can't even right now.

I've also asked to move into the server room so I can drown out the noise with the humming but they poopoo'd that too.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Any chance to take money from the bosses and cut into profit while also making your fellow workers lives easier is good. So go crazy. Give them all More Than Just Adequate tools.

this but also dont lie to the IT department please.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
For sure. It's just that I get why people do, because management at many places has so successfully trained IT and workers to be at odds with one another. If you have IT being kind of cooed at by the higher ups that they're so much smarter and better than the other workers for preventing 'unnecessary spending', and at the same time management is turning around to the other workers and bitching about how slow and onerous IT is and throwing IT under the bus, well you've got your folks trained to police each other so you dont have to.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 22, 2024

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

this but also dont lie to the IT department please.

Always this. My team is pretty good at giving people what they need - earlier today I talked to a dude how had some speed issues and had an old enough computer that I told even though we don't have any of the "Power user" models in stock, gently caress it, put in the request and we'll get him one as soon as we can.

His issues weren't even that bad, but he was at least honest about what was happening and didn't try to burn his poo poo to get a new computer.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Everyone understands that keystrokes and mouse clocks count in the grand scheme of how fast work gets done, why would you ever want to give your workers something that is probably just 'good enough' but that likely slows these things down for the worker?

This very same thought process from IT at a previous job led to me working a year with a computer that could not share my screen during client calls. Teams would just flip out and crash, every time. It was a loving early 2010s MacBook Air that was on its last legs. The IT response was it should be in spec for my 'modest' admin usage and they didn't understand the problem.

I ended up quitting that job because spending every day fighting against the very tool that's my main lens into work is miserable, and I have zero regrets. Gatekeeping whether people can have a slightly more expensive computer based on a limited understanding of their job responsibilities doesn't make sense to me, unless you personally have a budget you're responsible for managing and the use of the budget affects your job security. If that isn't the case and you're just a worker as well - then drat dude it's not your loving money, why do you care?

And even if you have to manage a budget, maybe don't get all hopped up on assuming people who ask for better tools are just shallow assholes doing it for the newest shiniest thing, because that's going to lead to bias for how you approach their needs and how to treat the users in general.

It is a budget thing. I keep my colleges' budget low so I can hire more student workers and pay the grad students more. I'm not allowed to directly state that or the upper/executive management will gently caress it all up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

There's a huge difference between someone's boss not giving them tools adequate to the job and someone wanting a new laptop when their current one is fine just because Bill three seats over has the 2024 model and they only have the 2022.

I'm 100% on team equip your workers properly. Personnel are by far the largest expense for most of the kinds of workplaces we're talking about. Sure, if you're a scientist at CERN your paycheck is dwarfed by the cost of the supercolider in the mountain, but if you're some white collar desk worker the ~60-100K/yr you're getting dwarfs your equipment costs by an equal amount.

But it's still goddamned moronic when people want the new model laptop just because it's new and it's a status symbol in the office. I've seen it before, it's really dumb. You don't need this year's latest model to show some powerpoints in a teams call and do super basic excel poo poo.

If you need the gear? Obviously you should get it. I'm talking about the people who absolutely do not.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

just give me the laptop

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'd still be happily using my 2017 MacBook for work stuff if the battery hadn't started getting puffy.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it doesn’t matter how nice of a work laptop i get, the cocktail of IT monitoring and security software ensures the fan is blasting and it stutters randomly all day every day, with task manager showing the usual suspects of splunk, beyondtrust, symantec, and the ever elusive “system interrupts” hogging over half the cpu between them often, plus whatever hidden poo poo i can’t see as a regular user when total cpu rockets to 99% for several minutes but the user total remains under 20%.

i’ve gone through 3 decent laptop upgrades where i work but the actual user experience gets worse faster than intel gets better

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Me and a guy on my team both had 5 year old laptops. We do a lot of power user poo poo and run containers and vendor java code and a bunch of poo poo concurrently that 8G of RAM in a laptop wasn't cutting it anymore. Teams and Zoom just constantly crashing from OOM or audio-in cutting out constantly on calls.

I told our manager that this wasn't cutting it anymore and he said to put in a request for a new device. I did, got a new device, and have been fine ever since but the other guy still won't just submit a ticket for a new laptop and just constantly complains about how he can't get anything done because the laptop.

Genuinely can't understand that mentality.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I've heard horror stories of insanely cheap small business owners who would refuse to replace anything that booted up, no matter how old it was, but every place I've worked at has been reasonable with replacements. Speaking as someone on the IT side, a screenshot of task manager showing that the cpu or ram are near max under your normal work load is all that you should need.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Aramis posted:

But it's not for everyone. I cut my computing teeth on old MacOS (7 through 9 specifically), so I tend to always have a bunch of windows floating around and half-overlapping so that I can navigate through them just by clicking on whatever I want to be in focus.

I thought this was only me, I didn’t even make the OS 7-9 connection. People get real weirded out when they see my screen and I never understood why I prefer the window chaos.

I still call it TextEdit SimpleText sometimes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a huge difference between someone's boss not giving them tools adequate to the job and someone wanting a new laptop when their current one is fine just because Bill three seats over has the 2024 model and they only have the 2022.

I'm 100% on team equip your workers properly. Personnel are by far the largest expense for most of the kinds of workplaces we're talking about. Sure, if you're a scientist at CERN your paycheck is dwarfed by the cost of the supercolider in the mountain, but if you're some white collar desk worker the ~60-100K/yr you're getting dwarfs your equipment costs by an equal amount.

But it's still goddamned moronic when people want the new model laptop just because it's new and it's a status symbol in the office. I've seen it before, it's really dumb. You don't need this year's latest model to show some powerpoints in a teams call and do super basic excel poo poo.

If you need the gear? Obviously you should get it. I'm talking about the people who absolutely do not.

Granted this was 20 years ago now, I was working in IT for a place and one of the manager ordered a mobile PDA (remember those!), as he would visit external clients and take notes and craft emails,
and all he would have to do is place it in its dock to when got back to auto send them to the server or such. These were a few hundred at least, but was worthwhile for this manager only.
A short time later EVERY other manager wanted one, even the ones that sat at their desks all the time.
Wasted tens of thousands getting these and setting them up, taking the funding for computers for others that needed upgrades for themselves.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

teen witch posted:

I thought this was only me, I didn’t even make the OS 7-9 connection. People get real weirded out when they see my screen and I never understood why I prefer the window chaos.

I still call it TextEdit SimpleText sometimes.

I know I get bothered when I can’t see other windows. Nothing is minimized and everything is all over the place but dammit it works for me

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

My workplace has this thing where we replace the computers when they reach a certain age (4-5 years) and it has helped a lot by reducing random rear end tickets like when we just replaced them when they broke. We also are better are maintaining the updates, etc... So overall the slow computers or random crashes/issues are not as widespread as before.

Having this kind of policy is nice but it brings "dumb poo poo at work" on behalf of the employees... For once it's not the employer's fault.

Even if you eliminate all the cases where the user is just dumb and is hurting his computer's performances, what happens is that a guy who's been with the company for 17 years and currently has a 3.5 years old laptop will see this fresh college graduate on his first job out of school with a brand new computer and be mad about it. Then they start doing all the poo poo you guys already discussed or didn't but know about (complain, invent reasons, get his manager to complain on his behalf, go behind your back, take the laptop of someone who left the company before the part of IT in charge of that can pick it up to re-image, etc...).

For some reasons the iPhone situation is even worse than computers. People get real mad to be stuck with an iPhone for 3 years and then see new people getting a newer model on their first day.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

ponzicar posted:

I've heard horror stories of insanely cheap small business owners who would refuse to replace anything that booted up, no matter how old it was, but every place I've worked at has been reasonable with replacements. Speaking as someone on the IT side, a screenshot of task manager showing that the cpu or ram are near max under your normal work load is all that you should need.

Hahahah oh I wish.

The thing that made me quit that other job is that is I'd been doing poo poo like that for ages, sending screenshots of the RAm usage at max and complaining, and eventually I finally got our corp IT folks to send me a machine.

The head IT guy at our office heard this, stepped in and even tho the machine was already in our office, stopped it from coming to me. Why? Because he wanted me to bring the old one in so he could take it apart and check which parts weren't working and fix it from there, then return my original machine to me. He made it very clear I wasn't going to get the new machine.

Some people get brain worms when given a modicum of power combined with the idea that they can save a buck if they just keep forcing this old rear end tech on people. Meanwhile, the company is hemorrhaging money in worker time lost, which is the actual loving thing of value in this scenario lol.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Some people get brain worms when given a modicum of power combined with the idea that they can save a buck if they just keep forcing this old rear end tech on people. Meanwhile, the company is hemorrhaging money in worker time lost, which is the actual loving thing of value in this scenario lol.

I think I've told this story in there before, but maybe not.

Right out of grad school I had a job working for an absolute monster of a boss. The walking embodiment of all the lovely stuff small business owners do. But, he said one very smart thing that has stuck with me.

One of the things I was doing for him was digitizing a bunch of old documents. I pretty much needed to set up the work station for this from scratch. I was used to academia before this and working off of shoe string budgets, so I put together three pitches for him. One that was the bare minimum I would need to do the work. The second was a modest setup that would avoid the major pain points. The third was the Cadillac option and frankly I only threw it on there to have an upper bound for him to frown off and then sign off on the middle of the road option. Think different tiers of scanner, PC, and storage solutions. I forget the exact numbers now as it's been a few decades, but the top end was like $10k and the bottom end was something like $1k.

So I show him this, and I'm getting read to explain the differences and what the different amounts will buy and he just cuts in with "how much am I paying you to stand here? On a monthly basis?" I tell him and he says "Ok, so you're the most expensive thing in the room. Will the expensive one help you work faster? Great, just buy it and get back to work."

loving monster in other ways but he did know what his major cost centers were.