Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
G305 + LinearMouse you're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amateurs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Splinter posted:

G305 + LinearMouse you're welcome

Am I missing something or is this not BT?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Ok but the DXT used a usb dongle? It says RF not Bluetooth

Then get the Logitech one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got the MX Master 3 and it’s pretty nice. I like the click feel and it fits well in my hand. It’s a bit pricy but it feels worth it so far.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: ok well is there a reason why the mouse would just disconnect for seemingly no reason? It seems like
It losses the BT connection at random

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 22, 2024

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I know M1 MBA doesn't support 2x external monitors, but does anyone know if there's a decent multiport usb-c hub/docking station supporting DisplayLink to provide support for a third monitor (i.e. laptop screen and 2x 1080p monitors)?

Or am I just mistaken that it's even possible?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The M1 silicon itself doesn't have the GPU for more than one external monitor so I can't see why that would work.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yes you can use a displaylink device to give yourself a third monitor. people in the thread hate it but imo if you’re not doing like gaming or whatever it’s basically fine

just make sure whatever model you buy has some reviews from apple users

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It is possible, but you have to run the DisplayLink software to make it work. I recently grabbed a Targus DV4K for $20 on HP.com and it can do dual monitor with M1.

This list might help you decide what to get.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

23 Skidoo posted:

I know M1 MBA doesn't support 2x external monitors, but does anyone know if there's a decent multiport usb-c hub/docking station supporting DisplayLink to provide support for a third monitor (i.e. laptop screen and 2x 1080p monitors)?

Or am I just mistaken that it's even possible?

I think dell made a native+displaylink dock over usb-c but I’m not sure if they still sells it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Grumbles posted:

The M1 silicon itself doesn't have the GPU for more than one external monitor so I can't see why that would work.

I’ve definitely coaxed more screens out of work laptops than they were specc’d to via dairying chaining adaptors and docks, but it clearly wasn’t happy about it and necessitated plugging things into each other in a very specific order that would break if you looked at it funny. It’s possible but I wouldn’t recommend it at all. This was also on Windows so I would expect you couldn’t get away with it on a more tightly controlled stack as you see in Mac land.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Got the MX Master 3 and it’s pretty nice. I like the click feel and it fits well in my hand. It’s a bit pricy but it feels worth it so far.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: ok well is there a reason why the mouse would just disconnect for seemingly no reason? It seems like
It losses the BT connection at random

mine seems to sleep early and often, presumably to save battery, but reconnects quickly after jiggling/clicking.

also if you, like me, want to have the scroll wheel work opposite to touchpad scroll, the logi options software can set that up for you

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Grumbles posted:

Displaylink is a GPU in a USB box, you can stick on as many displays as you have the CPU to manage.

My only recent displaylink experience was awful, I had a display link dock with a 2015 dual core MacBook Pro and displaylink ate an entire core all the time to drive a 3440x1440 display.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Ouch.

Does something like vnc have the capability of showing a remote "third screen" using a second laptop or computer?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Displaylink is a GPU in a USB box, you can stick on as many displays as you have the CPU to manage.

My only recent displaylink experience was awful, I had a display link dock with a 2015 dual core MacBook Pro and displaylink ate an entire core all the time to drive a 3440x1440 display.

that's definitely rough.

though i'd argue that that would be a lot different from using with an m1 or something

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mediaphage posted:

that's definitely rough.

though i'd argue that that would be a lot different from using with an m1 or something

Yeah, a modern E-core is more powerful than either of the 2 cores in that thing.

This was at a job I had started in 2017, they stockpiled a bunch of 2015 Macbooks and were still handing them out years later while they tried to sidestep the touchbar ones.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Dell UD22
HP Universal Dock G2

Both have displaylink and can do 2 external monitors on M1. It works fine, my company has thousands deployed. The only weird bit is it triggers screen recording warnings.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

KS posted:

Dell UD22
HP Universal Dock G2

Both have displaylink and can do 2 external monitors on M1. It works fine, my company has thousands deployed. The only weird bit is it triggers screen recording warnings.

yeah i actually think the permissions bit is pretty cool, i just ran into it using it with a vr headset

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Mouse Chat: MX Vertical.

Holy crap switching to a vertical mouse was a (literally) instant QoL gain.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
My experience for a while with DisplayLink with an M1 machine was entirely positive (no slowdowns or anything I needed to think about), with the main caveat being that GPU-accelerated video in browsers will give you black squares instead. As far as I know this isn't a DRM thing, just a side effect of how all the workaround pieces go together. Of course, this was for work stuff and not trying any games or whatever with it, so YMMV.

BonoMan posted:

:yeah:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

down1nit posted:

Ouch.

Does something like vnc have the capability of showing a remote "third screen" using a second laptop or computer?

DisplayLink basically is VNC over USB. That's the way to think about it - if your needs for an external display could be met by a VNC connection, DisplayLink is OK.

Despite what's been said, DisplayLink devices aren't GPUs, in that they have no acceleration. They're just a frame buffer, a display refresh engine to drive a monitor from that frame buffer, and the minimum required hardware+software to implement their proprietary VNC-over-USB so that they can get pixel data from a host frame buffer into the DisplayLink frame buffer.

I have no idea whether DisplayLink actually does this in their driver stack, but it's technically very possible to have the Apple Silicon GPU draw into a frame buffer in RAM, point the DisplayLink driver at that frame buffer, and refresh the DL device from it. This would provide full acceleration, but with some latency and bandwidth limitations on presenting changed pixels to you.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Neat! It's faster and less latency than over a network yeah?

Edit: that's how they'll add third monitor support then yeah? Is the frame buffer in memory or is it on special hardware?

down1nit fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 24, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it's insane that logitech, the weird webcam company of my younger days, is the premier mouse manufacturer for apple machines now

but it is true

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Radia posted:

it's insane that logitech, the weird webcam company of my younger days, is the premier mouse manufacturer for apple machines now

but it is true

they literally partner with apple and co-develop poo poo

this is why apple feels no incentive to change or update their first party stuff or provide more options and models

don't like the Magic Mouse?

Logitech.com, go gently caress yourself bye

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Smh at using a mouse when Apple has the world's best touchpad.
Haven't needed a mouse in at least ten years now.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Radia posted:

but it is true

And they still don’t have a usb-c unifying receiver 8 years after Apple went usb-c only.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Radia posted:

but it is true

They’re also Ultimate Ears, as in UE Boom

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Mister Facetious posted:

Smh at using a mouse when Apple has the world's best touchpad.
Haven't needed a mouse in at least ten years now.

i have their touchpad and it's good but mouses have a completely different precision when doing graphical stuff

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Perplx posted:

And they still don’t have a usb-c unifying receiver 8 years after Apple went usb-c only.

Pretty much anything Logitech makes that's Mac-focused has Bluetooth available, usually as some part of multi-device functionality. So not sure this matters?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Canned Sunshine posted:

Pretty much anything Logitech makes that's Mac-focused has Bluetooth available, usually as some part of multi-device functionality. So not sure this matters?

unifying receiver is handy for me switching between different computers, because i can assign profiles and poo poo

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Radia posted:

unifying receiver is handy for me switching between different computers, because i can assign profiles and poo poo

My Bluetooth Logitech switches between 3 computers with no receiver.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

down1nit posted:

Neat! It's faster and less latency than over a network yeah?

Edit: that's how they'll add third monitor support then yeah? Is the frame buffer in memory or is it on special hardware?

Yeah there should be more bandwidth and less latency for DisplayLink than a typical network.

Not sure who you mean by "they" in "they'll add third monitor support". DisplayLink is a company (formerly independent, now part of Synaptics) that makes the silicon for DisplayLink adapters and the driver software to support them in operating systems like Windows, Linux, and macOS. Most of the time, if you see a widget that promises to connect a display to literally anything with a USB port, and it doesn't require that port to support DP alt mode or Thunderbolt, that's a DisplayLink adapter. Some of their chips also have other interfaces like ethernet and sound to make the widget into a full featured docking solution.

The frame buffer exists in two places: the original copy lives in the computer's own memory, and then there's a remote copy on the other end of the network (or USB in this case) link which gets updated from the original, using a protocol which compresses outgoing updates to avoid overtaxing the relatively slow USB link. Frame rate may suffer when too many pixels change in one frame...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

BonoMan posted:

Yup one of these totally cured my arm pain, recommended.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Radia posted:

i have their touchpad and it's good but mouses have a completely different precision when doing graphical stuff

i get why people feel this way about but honestly when i do graphical work or photo editing or whatever i way prefer the trackpad lol.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
was waiting for the next line of macbook airs to maybe cop a small one to travel with instead of the 16 inch pro. After trying the Vision Pro I shan't be copping any new laptop. Dead paradigm.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Maudib Arakkis posted:

was waiting for the next line of macbook airs to maybe cop a small one to travel with instead of the 16 inch pro. After trying the Vision Pro I shan't be copping any new laptop. Dead paradigm.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Oh I remember you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mediaphage posted:

i get why people feel this way about but honestly when i do graphical work or photo editing or whatever i way prefer the trackpad lol.

I feel like some combination of trackpad + stylus entry would be the optimum coverage of use cases, rather than trackpad + mouse.

Lol @ trying to sign my name on a document using the trackpad, good as it is; equal lol @ doing it with a mouse

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I feel like some combination of trackpad + stylus entry would be the optimum coverage of use cases, rather than trackpad + mouse.

Lol @ trying to sign my name on a document using the trackpad, good as it is; equal lol @ doing it with a mouse

yeah fortunately you can just sign paper and store it in macos with the webcam and then just poo poo it wherever you need to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Maudib Arakkis posted: