Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Silly question I cant quite get the googling terms right for, but whats the best/current mod for jumping into a blueprint editing world to have unlimited items and supply/void chests for designing new production? I'm using the blueprint lab but realizing it hasnt been updated in years and has some weird bugs, is there anything better out there? For example, I seem to have to export a blueprint string and import it after leaving the lab for it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I use one of two depending on my goals. Creative Mode still works if you need to be in the world and gives you a lot of tools including a bunch of god mode options. Editor Extensions sets you in a big empty grid world to do what you like. I make a lot of blueprints in the latter.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks, looks like editor extensions has a testing lab mode that would do what I want. I don't want to cheat in my actual map or have to jump to a different save, just go into a designing space to make sure throughputs and material flows and stuff works before building it on my actual map.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

seconding Editor Extensions, we use it all the time in our Nullius base. really good for experimenting with complex builds

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
There’s also https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BlueprintLab_design

Lets you jump into something like the extensions lab without leaving a save, if you are already modded it’s nice to not load up a whole different save to play with stuff.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Glad this thread got bumped, reminded me of a question.

I started a new vanilla save after years of not playing. I'm at the point where I'm getting sick of manual placing every single object; bots are a long way off.

I remember there used to be several mods that gave the player "personal" bot-equivilants that would follow the player around and do bot-like things but we're available very early in the game. They were limited in ability so as to still encourage the player to use bots when they were unlocked.

Any suggestions for something like this?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
That’s the Nanobots mod

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

necrotic posted:

Lets you jump into something like the extensions lab without leaving a save, if you are already modded it’s nice to not load up a whole different save to play with stuff.

Warning with this is that the game isn't paused so if you can't automatedly handle biter attacks it will wreck your base.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Lightning scrap recycling planet is gonna be dope. Interesting to read how much they want each planet to feel like it's got unique mechanics and isn't going to be copy pasting blueprints and duplicating work.

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-399

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm glad the mod community was so robust so that everyone could kinda get some pintrest idea board of wild game design before the dev's committed to trying to do those bigger changes themselves.

I love loops like that so I'm looking forward to Fulgora

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Super hyped for Fulgora. I think it will shake up gameplay even more than Vulcanus and the rewards are awesome.

I'm also getting really excited to see what third planet is like, and what its uber production building will be. Maybe the green planet is where we can finally make enough green circuits.

Plus, I'm wondering what kind of crazy stuff we will get on the final planet, both challenges and new techs.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ymgve posted:

That’s the Nanobots mod

It sure is, thanks!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

necrotic posted:

This is what I started with but was having issues with getting blueprints and files out of the editor.

Editor Extension has a 'personal lab' setting you can check in mod settings so when you open editor extensions it also puts you in a creative space to develop things. Both keep the main world running which is a blessing and a curse, sure biters are still a problem but also I can queue up a bunch of research and go design something while it works through it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Maybe the green planet is where we can finally make enough green circuits.

Isn't that what Fulgora's big thing is meant to be for? Like specifically letting you make all the circuit and module items with a big production bonus even on the non-intermediary ones.

But yeah, lots of exciting concepts here. Curious how offshore pumps are going to connect to logistics if you can't build pipes on the mud. And the recycler-based production is both a fun twist and a good way to make recyclers exciting. I think someone in this thread predicted it too.

I think I said this with Vulcanus but I'm glad they're focusing on making core production interesting and varied for each planet. One of the weaknesses of Factorio compared to others in the genre is that the tactical factory design gets fairly easily solved and easy to fall into just stamping out the same blueprints over and over. Every game in the genre is going to hit that problem eventually, but the more you can shake up the production chains the longer you go before it bites, and this is some good solid shaking.

I wonder what they'll do for the other two planets. I'll go out on a limb and guess the fourth planet will involve farming in some way, it's probably going to be pretty lively.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Tenebrais posted:

Curious how offshore pumps are going to connect to logistics if you can't build pipes on the mud.

Same way they do right now, presumably. "Offshore Pump" is just the water generating building in regular Factorio, and we don't build pipes underwater on Nauvis.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Editor Extension has a 'personal lab' setting you can check in mod settings so when you open editor extensions it also puts you in a creative space to develop things. Both keep the main world running which is a blessing and a curse, sure biters are still a problem but also I can queue up a bunch of research and go design something while it works through it.

Oh sick I didn’t know EE had that option.

The FFF looks fantastic. Take your time, wube, I know it will be worth the wait.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

necrotic posted:

The FFF looks fantastic. Take your time, wube, I know it will be worth the wait.

On the one hand, yes this is a reasonable take that I agree with. But on the other hand GIVE IT TO ME NOWWWWWWW.

FFF is great, new planet looks great. The obvious things from last week's post came through (recycling as the main harvesting mechanic and lightning for power) but the island concept is pretty neat. I like the idea of the three distinct 'tiers' of islands forcing you to make choices about where to build - not soooo thrilled about maintaining several power grids on the same planet, though. You'll be able to tech out of it eventually so maybe it'll be an interesting short-term problem to solve. I believe.

They are still real hot on the quality mechanic and I'm still not totally convinced. I think it's the new feature that's been mentioned more than any other so far so they must be sure it's good. Again I'm choosing to believe.

Took a break from my ultracube run to play Helldivers 2 and just recently came back to it for a real "wait, what the gently caress do all these circuits do?" moment. It's an even messier plate of spaghetti than the average base.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Xerophyte posted:

Same way they do right now, presumably. "Offshore Pump" is just the water generating building in regular Factorio, and we don't build pipes underwater on Nauvis.
Yeah, from the way they say "The polluted sinking wasteland between islands is full of oil", I get the feeling that it's going to be basically an ocean of oil everywhere, that can be extracted using the same pumps we use for water elsewhere.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
This update is the most exciting one for me since the quality one. Good thing we have so many tools for sorting, with all inserters now being filter inserters.

I can see some synergy between the 2nd and 3rd planet immediately: the lava planet allowed us to just dump items into the lava as garbage. Assuming we can’t dump items into the tar on this planet, we can shoot all the scrap products we don’t want to be incinerated if we have more of any product than we need, if any of those products can’t be usefully recycled.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Building a chest to store trash would cost far less than building a rocket to send it to another planet. I like the thinking, though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Perhaps early, but I'm sure that utilizing interplanetary logistics will be both necessary and very cost efficient over the life of the tech tree.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

K8.0 posted:

Building a chest to store trash would cost far less than building a rocket to send it to another planet. I like the thinking, though.

Ahh yes, the American Solution, just pile it up indefinitely.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You’re paying to ship it interplanetary so that your system can be un-interruptible due to byproduct pileup, and you don’t have to spend player time shipping yourself out there to build more effluent holding capacity every couple of hours.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wonder when/if we'll get electrified rails as a research. That planet would be perfect for them. I've always found it silly that you have to create rails and also poles right along side, even in end-game.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The last image of the post had an interesting note:

I think we heard earlier that red and green wire are going to be free just like another mod I won't have to use, 'free cable' but it looks like we may get a third circuit network. Blue wire!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You have to pay the rocket cost every time you want to launch a rocket, which holds far less than a chest. You also have to hope that in the process of processing the large amount of materials to build your rocket, you don't deadlock because you've produced too many byproducts.

Clearly this is better than slapping down a few dozen resources to store 10 times as much every few hours. And no, you don't have to visit yourself. You just have your robots place the chests for you.

Teledahn posted:

The last image of the post had an interesting note:

I think we heard earlier that red and green wire are going to be free just like another mod I won't have to use, 'free cable' but it looks like we may get a third circuit network. Blue wire!

I'm quite confident the blue wire is not a circuit network wire, but something to do with the Fulgora mineral, which is used for electric stuff like superconductors. It may even be just a temporary icon for superconductors. Whatever it is, it clearly seems to be an ingredient in t3 modules.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

I never liked this part of the game. I've always thought waste and storage should be more prominent problems to solve.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

K8.0 posted:

You have to pay the rocket cost every time you want to launch a rocket, which holds far less than a chest. You also have to hope that in the process of processing the large amount of materials to build your rocket, you don't deadlock because you've produced too many byproducts.

Clearly this is better than slapping down a few dozen resources to store 10 times as much every few hours. And no, you don't have to visit yourself. You just have your robots place the chests for you.
Are you upset at the idea that you're going to need to transport materials between planets on an increasingly consistent basis? I can't figure out why you're so mad at rockets or however planet-to-planet transport is going to work.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah I would bet the "blue wire" is like superconducting wire or similar.

They say you'll have a choice of first offworld planet to visit but having T3 quality modules seems to make it a no-brainer. Since space is going to basically be your main limiting resource on both the space platform and fulgora, being able to pack more productivity in the same space via higher quality machines feels like it's not even a choice. Especially because all the resources are essentially free, limited only by your throughput of lightning tower, elevated rail, miner, accumulator, and recycler production.

Now I'm not hating on this at all but this does seem like a downside to me. Not a dealbreaker, but I really hope there's going to be more thought (whether this has already occurred and we just haven't seen it, or between now and release) into balancing these choices. Quality as described so far just seems like it's the one thing that gatekeeps progression, even if there are other tech hurdles in the way, but those are mere speedbumps compared to the improvement you get by having higher quality everything.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

Oh, right, it hadn't occurred to me that you'd be able to just build them on the edge of the islands. That's not quite as fun, but probably easier to handle.

Anyway, it does seem like garbage handling is going to be a part of what you need to do here. Looking at the numbers they listed, a tenth of your scrap processing is going to be stone or concrete, which is going to be difficult to feed back into reliably-consumed items. I suppose one fairly straightforward way to handle that is making Production Science Packs on Fulgora alongside the EM ones, but there's still a lot of very careful balancing you'd have to do to get everything eaten up and prevent logistics jams.
I'm assuming garbage handling is going to be another new thing Fulgora will provide.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

SettingSun posted:

Are you upset at the idea that you're going to need to transport materials between planets on an increasingly consistent basis? I can't figure out why you're so mad at rockets or however planet-to-planet transport is going to work.

I'm not upset, I'm just pointing out that in vanilla Space Age nobody is going to be sending trash rockets to Vulcanus because it makes no mathematical sense. Like I said, it's a cool idea and interesting thinking, but mechanically it won't be a thing you do because the numbers just don't work. Maybe in a mod, especially one with teleporters, but not vanilla.

Xerol posted:

They say you'll have a choice of first offworld planet to visit but having T3 quality modules seems to make it a no-brainer. Since space is going to basically be your main limiting resource on both the space platform and fulgora, being able to pack more productivity in the same space via higher quality machines feels like it's not even a choice.

If you go to Vulcanus, your production rapidly scales up and you can build more/bigger platforms. And have the resource efficiency to actually pay for the quality loop once you get to Fulgora. I don't think the best choice is quite a given, it will depend on your playstyle. If you can't live without better armor and equipment you go straight to Fulgora, if you are comfortable scaling up and having the resources to run the quality loop more quickly, you hit Vulcanus first. Also keep in mind Vulcanus gives you cliff explosives, so if you want to scale up on Nauvis to chase the purple and orange techs it's particularly attractive.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 23, 2024

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

K8.0 posted:

I'm quite confident the blue wire is not a circuit network wire, but something to do with the Fulgora mineral, which is used for electric stuff like superconductors. It may even be just a temporary icon for superconductors. Whatever it is, it clearly seems to be an ingredient in t3 modules.

Xerol posted:

Very good points, I didn't think about it being used as a placeholder.

It looks like we're going to have to get comfortable with sushi sorters and junk handling. Very neat and different.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

K8.0 posted:

I'm not upset, I'm just pointing out that in vanilla Space Age nobody is going to be sending trash rockets to Vulcanus because it makes no mathematical sense. Like I said, it's a cool idea and interesting thinking, but mechanically it won't be a thing you do because the numbers just don't work. Maybe in a mod, especially one with teleporters, but not vanilla.

Even in the event that you had a ton of trash to dispose of, and somehow launching a rocket full of it made sense, can't you just dump stuff off the side of a platform into space? I don't think shipping stuff all the way to lava world is ever going to be necessary. Until some mod starts simulating Kessler syndrome anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Xerol posted:

They say you'll have a choice of first offworld planet to visit but having T3 quality modules seems to make it a no-brainer. Since space is going to basically be your main limiting resource on both the space platform and fulgora, being able to pack more productivity in the same space via higher quality machines feels like it's not even a choice. Especially because all the resources are essentially free, limited only by your throughput of lightning tower, elevated rail, miner, accumulator, and recycler production.

Now I'm not hating on this at all but this does seem like a downside to me. Not a dealbreaker, but I really hope there's going to be more thought (whether this has already occurred and we just haven't seen it, or between now and release) into balancing these choices. Quality as described so far just seems like it's the one thing that gatekeeps progression, even if there are other tech hurdles in the way, but those are mere speedbumps compared to the improvement you get by having higher quality everything.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Vulcanus gives you an easy and quick way to scale production. Until we learn about planet #3 just popping over to lavaland and making GBS threads out mass production of raw resources to me sounds like a better first step than trying to get Quality sorted. With the fractioning and ratios, same as the other modules, those take a long time to get rolling - and longer still if you don't have huge bulk resources to sink into modules in the first place.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It should be possible to build a recycler ->assembler ->recycler loop to essentially delete pretty much any kind of garbage. Maybe not ice, but it sounds like that will be a rare resource anyways.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Gadzuko posted:

Even in the event that you had a ton of trash to dispose of, and somehow launching a rocket full of it made sense, can't you just dump stuff off the side of a platform into space? I don't think shipping stuff all the way to lava world is ever going to be necessary. Until some mod starts simulating Kessler syndrome anyway.

I forgot about the space platform junk ejection, that is somewhat less cool than than a giant lava landfill but I think I'll live.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's so impractical and wasteful in the most factorio way ever to launch trash to orbit just to shove it out the airlock. In other words, I love it.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

K8.0 posted:

You have to pay the rocket cost every time you want to launch a rocket, which holds far less than a chest.

this is only true if you assume that rockets continue to hold as much as they do today. i think this is unlikely because of the whole space platform thing.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It doesn't seem like you want to get rid of trash on Fulgora though. Our ability to mine scrap will be pretty constrained by the size of islands. They probably expect us to use the recycler to fully break down scrap and make a closed loop where no byproducts build up. And it makes thematic sense that the planet filled with ancient ruins and pollution would be the one where you learn how to do zero-waste builds. It is an environmentalism analogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

It should be possible to build a recycler ->assembler ->recycler loop to essentially delete pretty much any kind of garbage. Maybe not ice, but it sounds like that will be a rare resource anyways.

Yeah this seemed like a much better solution than "ship it offworld" or "stash it in chests" and each step of recycling will probably give something you want to keep. I really like the potential for this to create belt/combinator puzzles to solve (and a lot of people probably end up solving with bots).

Space limitations might prevent it but I don't otherwise see why you couldn't burn off excess ice in a steam boiler for some supplemental power (or at least recovering the power that went into melting the ice). Wouldn't mind seeing some new chemical processes that use steam, maybe a new refinery recipe that takes heavy oil + steam (like with liquefaction) but cracks it entirely into light/gas (without the coal input), maybe even at a better rate than normal cracking.

K8.0 posted:

If you go to Vulcanus, your production rapidly scales up and you can build more/bigger platforms. And have the resource efficiency to actually pay for the quality loop once you get to Fulgora. I don't think the best choice is quite a given, it will depend on your playstyle. If you can't live without better armor and equipment you go straight to Fulgora, if you are comfortable scaling up and having the resources to run the quality loop more quickly, you hit Vulcanus first. Also keep in mind Vulcanus gives you cliff explosives, so if you want to scale up on Nauvis to chase the purple and orange techs it's particularly attractive.

I think we don't know enough yet about specific numbers but from what we've seen so far, in my opinion it still looks better to get the quality modules first. Then you can scale up on other worlds more effectively; cramming more production in less space is always a positive especially if you're foregoing cliff explosives in the short term (although I will almost certainly be playing without cliffs or getting a mod to remove them if they're not able to be disabled in the expansion). Maybe it's a wash, but it just feels like quality has the potential to overtune things well beyond what anyone would think is balanced.