Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Fishstick posted:

The schad is that the Problem Child jar got all its greenery eaten by the isopods, who it turns out, do like green leaves and moss over rotting wood and fungus. I could replace it but that just makes the problem worse, and the only "solution" is to introduce a predator like a centipede. It's surprisingly hard to find centipedes when you're looking for one.

Stop looking for centipedes and you'll start tripping over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cool moss terraria!

Where do the bits come from? Do you just add a buddha and a few fistful of nature and call it good?

Do you seal it and leave it, or does it need opening/watering/fungiciding/???

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hippocrass posted:

Stop looking for centipedes and you'll start tripping over them.

If this were a less classy thread I'd tell you where you can find them, likelier than you'd think.

ski-bap, ba-dap

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Karate Bastard posted:

Cool moss terraria!

Where do the bits come from? Do you just add a buddha and a few fistful of nature and call it good?

Do you seal it and leave it, or does it need opening/watering/fungiciding/???

I get all the glass secondhand from a thriftstore for $1-$5 each, same as a lot of the random ornaments like buddhas and other "centerpiece"' stuff I might use someday. I have two boxes of cushion and fern moss which is not easy to find here natively, the rest I collect from roadsides and forests in small amounts; once you know what you're looking for it's literally everywhere. You have to make sure your base layers are done properly but other than that yeah, it's extremely easy to make and some plants are pretty much indestructible in this environment (pepperomias, creeping figs, any ferns, asparagus, fittonias, etc).

The oldest one I have is now 1.5 years old and has been opened once for a re-misting and trim down the plant, otherwise they're zero maintenance other than maybe for easthetic reasons. All of them have springtails in them, and they love nothing more than eating fungus and rotting material so it self-regulates. On wood you can sometimes get permanent mould colonies but they don't cause any harm to the plantlife, and if you really don't like them you can dab them with peroxide.

Unsealed ones are less prone to fungus issues but obviously need misting almost daily, and you're gonna want something to deal with Sciara gnats in some way because those tiny flies love moist soil and it can get out of hand fast.

Plus sometimes you get weird fungus colonies like this, and who could get rid of this happy fellow?

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Feb 23, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nenonen posted:

Stepbrother what are you brewing???

Very droll.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fishstick posted:

[wonders beyond description]

These are all turbo rad. I love them.
Once in our local ironbark woodland I found an old broken jar containing a flourishing moss colony and it was just so great to see a miniature nano-forest in the middle of an actual forest.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

The -sneep- ~(cos I am sure its been requoted a billion times)~one.

Oooooooowwwwwnnnnssssssssss!
Man, I had a Marimo in Japan, I still dont quite get them, they are cool though

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Fishstick posted:

You have to make sure your base layers are done properly

How do you do that?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Fishstick posted:

Cool stuff

What's the go to single online resource for learning how to do this?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Make a post about the process in the DIY forums, please and thank you. I've been toying with the idea of a terrarium.

Edit, I have read the other replies to your post, and the people are clearly clamoring for a diy thread.

Slugworth has a new favorite as of 12:32 on Feb 23, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Bald Stalin posted:

What's the go to single online resource for learning how to do this?

There's not that much to it other than the basic build layers and knowing which plants work, terrariumtribe is a solid resource and has some good DIY guides that cover the basics, including base layers: https://terrariumtribe.com/diy-terrarium-guide/. A pure moss terrarium (without any other "regular" plants) is even easier as you don't even need potting soil.

Any online or brick&mortar pet shop that does reptiles and/or fish will get you set up with all the basic materials too like coco fiber, dried spaghnum, and rocks/wood for your hardscape, even springtail bugs since they are bred as feeders for tiny frogs.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Those moss terrariums rule. Love seeing those little bugs doing their bug things.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The General posted:

Proof that old people can't handle tarmacs.

It's not that they can't handle them, it's that the tarmac draws them like a magnet. Tarmag.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have you considered putting some really cool isopods in there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtr3rhA0g0Q

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Those moss terrariums rule. Love seeing those little bugs doing their bug things.

It really is a lot of fun to just watch the bugs do their thing, like having a little mini nature doc on your shelf.

Lil' zebra jumping spider takin care of excess springtails
https://i.imgur.com/PYbYRWR.mp4

Springtails having a foodfight over a spontaneous mushroom
https://i.imgur.com/6RpZd86.mp4

Ants diggin out a nest in the log
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbS8XSa4V3c

Karate Bastard posted:

Have you considered putting some really cool isopods in there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtr3rhA0g0Q

The big log terrarium has no joke at least 30 common isopods of at least 3 native species, and they're the jerks that grazed everything to the ground, hence the need for a natural predator. Did you know isopods live to like 3 years?

Also those bred isopods are like €30 a pop, which is a lot of money to spend on bugs.

Slugworth posted:

Make a post about the process in the DIY forums, please and thank you. I've been toying with the idea of a terrarium.

Edit, I have read the other replies to your post, and the people are clearly clamoring for a diy thread.

I'll see if I can make one that's worth the :effort:

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Feb 23, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fishstick posted:

Also those bred isopods are like €30 a pop, which is a lot of money to spend on bugs.

They're crustaceans and are related to deep sea isopods, they're worth the money because they're cool :colbert:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Out:
Coffee
Incest

In:
Moss
Insects

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

Out:
Coffee
Incest

In:
Moss
Insects

Arthropods. :colbert:

Spiders, woodlice and springtails aren't insects

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cool video!

Reminds me of Botanicula, the very friendly adventure game about tiny bugs, plants, and fungi. Did you ever play it?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Arthropods. :colbert:

Spiders, woodlice and springtails aren't insects

The schad is on the dutch language for naming woodlice "piss beds"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Fishstick posted:

I'll see if I can make one that's worth the :effort:

I would eagerly follow a "moss and bugs"-thread.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Love those terrariums, i sometimes watch videos from the youtube channel called life in jars were he catches some river/rain water and closes it on a jar to see what develops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7iyPp3r9HI

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
more like PYF Freude: The Moss Terrarium Thread

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If someone can tell me how to access my tumblr posts from Dec 2014, I drew a diagram of how to make a simple moss terrarium that I will post. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Schad on the Ow My Balls imgur crew rn itt

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The moss owns

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Micr0chiP posted:

Love those terrariums, i sometimes watch videos from the youtube channel called life in jars were he catches some river/rain water and closes it on a jar to see what develops.

Jartopia is another dude that does this, he just scoops up a bunch of poo poo and sees what he gets. It works out surprisingly well. He also has some purposefully created closed ecosystems and explains the process of building one up on occasion, like this one

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

If someone can tell me how to access my tumblr posts from Dec 2014, I drew a diagram of how to make a simple moss terrarium that I will post. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it.

You want to go do something like
https://xxxxxx.tumblr.com/archive/2014/12
Where "xxxxxx" is your blog name

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

PurpleXVI posted:

I would eagerly follow a "moss and bugs"-thread.

Seconding this.
I love these things, and it looks like something I would actually love doing.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thirding, if only to learn such things as "how much sunlight do they need", or "do I need a special light bulb"?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There will be a goon rush and hundreds of goons will make them. about 10 will still be keeping them with a few dozen more just posting a few months in. Then after several months some people will come back having completely forgotten about the thread and only remember it when finding their terrarium again and posting the horrors that happened in complete neglect.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sumatra_7
Mar 27, 2010
Outrageous Lumpwad

Fishstick posted:

The air (especially in moss jars, which is humid air) will heat up from direct sunlight and hot, expanding air doesn't like closed containers. Best case scenario the cork/lid gets popped, worst case scenario the glass cracks after the heat turns your plants into porridge.

Trap sprung, this is now the moss terrarium thread.

Marimo balls (not technically moss) for secret santas

Some other small-sized ones I made as giveaway gifts

Medium sized ones

The Biggies

The Problem Child. By far the most bioactive

Bonus weevil that zigged when it should've zagged:

The schad is that the Problem Child jar got all its greenery eaten by the isopods, who it turns out, do like green leaves and moss over rotting wood and fungus. I could replace it but that just makes the problem worse, and the only "solution" is to introduce a predator like a centipede. It's surprisingly hard to find centipedes when you're looking for one.

Until I posted, I thought hermetically sealed meant nothing got in or out, air, water, heat, gravity, time. Then I looked it up. Your jars are really cool.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Micr0chiP posted:

"rainwater" as in all water is rain water, but homie got puddle water, which is full of dirt.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

https://imgur.com/4meL9DI.mp4

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

:wtf:, there are zero terrariums in this video.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

This page has been so jarring.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

W-what was the thought here? Were they trying to go for that crossing? :psyduck:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Perestroika posted:

W-what was the thought here? Were they trying to go for that crossing? :psyduck:

another fentanyl flyer

https://packaged-media.redd.it/moli...d08f9692e50#t=0
nowhere is safe from kitty

bounus schad for aggressive sports trolls
https://packaged-media.redd.it/25iq...2dd091a3a34#t=0
they called him a bitch and he was not having it

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Perestroika posted:

Someone doing a break check most likely, that looks like a police use only turn around.