Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone have experience with TRN BT20 Pros?

https://www.linsoul.com/products/trn-bt20-pro?variant=44614121619673

Or anything similar in this price range? I would love to add bluetooth to some of my IEMs I have sitting around.

I have the very similar ones from KZ and they work pretty good. As Dr. Fish says nothing fancy but they get the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rakeris posted:

I have the very similar ones from KZ and they work pretty good. As Dr. Fish says nothing fancy but they get the job done.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They do what they say on the box, that's about it. For $20, they sound fine and are worth it imo, but don't expect low latency codecs or noise cancelling or any of the usual tws bells and whistles. For that, the Space Travel is the only option in that price range.

Thanks! I'm just looking for something that I can use for going to the gym and going for walks. I should've mentioned that in my original post, sorry. Sounds like they'll fit the bill.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So after using them on the trip the Space Travels really are loving incredible for the price point and they aren't uncomfortable either. Five straight hours of audiobook before a charge is nice as hell, thanks again for the recommendation

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zorilla posted:

My observation is that even Sony's flagship offerings targeted at the general user have way too much bass out of the box. Their XB series of headphones are basically your friend's car stereo from when you were 17 and are entirely unlistenable. And, in true Sony style again, they usually don't support their own app, so you can't EQ them either (at least this was the case with XB950N1s I tried).

Maybe this is a hot take here, but codecs don't really matter if the headphones themselves sound like crap. I'm always weary when a headphone emphasizes its codec support over other, more important things. Even when I use my Fiio BTR5 with my DT 770s, I can't tell any difference between AAC and aptX anyway, so I can't imagine it would be relevant on lesser headphones either.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,120182.0.html
normal bitrate SBC, AAC and AptX are pretty close when ABX'ed with AptX being the worst by a little. All are also within arm's reach to the original wired loseless

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-bc3-review-bluetooth-receiver-bt-codecs.23740/page-12#post-1039526
LDAC is great on single-tone THD but becomes a HF distortion mess on multitone sweeps

I wasn't able find any direct SBC/AAC/Aptx vs LDAC on ABX testing, but if i have to guess it would land a bit higher than SBC
All these are under the assumption the receivers themselves don't butcher SQ any further beyond the transmission codecs do

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 9, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I ditched the Sony's (or more accurately, never picked them up from the locker because that's easier than Amazon's actual return process) and got the excitingly named "Soundpeats":
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-SoundPEATS-Headphones-Sweatproof-Cancellation/dp/B0836W9X6B?ref_=ast_sto_dp

So far...not bad. I guess because they're dual drivers they've got more treble than maybe I'm used to so cymbals are way more obvious on tracks. I don't know if that's a thing or not.

Fit is ok, the wingtip things they include are next to useless though. Also they stick out of your ears a completely ridiculous amount.

The in line control thing feels incredibly cheap and charges through micro usb in tyool 2024 what the gently caress. Also the manual says "do not use a charger that can output more than 1 amp!" Which is 100% going to happen. Will report back if these burn my house down.

I didn't realise that both of the neck things were batteries which explains the huge quoted battery life. E: "noise cancellation" is on the mic not the actual earphones.

So good so far.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 9, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I had a pair of Soundpeats and liked them until the charging port melted.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

njsykora posted:

I had a pair of Soundpeats and liked them until the charging port melted.

Well, that bodes well. Idk how you manage to make a usb socket that can't take more than one amp from any charger, pretty sure that isn't to spec.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Could anyone point me towards a replacement 6' cable for the Hd58X that is not through Amazon? I seem to remember ordering straight from them but I'm having trouble finding it again.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Wife is looking for wireless headphones, over or on ear with active noise cancelling, transparency mode, and good battery life for all day wear. She's incredibly sensitive to outside noises and uses them as a sensory blocking device for much of the day and when she sleeps at night.

She has a pair of Beats that have started to feedback and squeal when she's lying in certain positions.

She'd like to stay under $200. She wears them so much that I'd be fine with anything up to $500 if it makes a big difference in build quality.

ANC is the most critical feature. She doesn't want them to sound like rear end but the audio quality is backseat to the noise cancelling.

I hope I'm being descriptive enough. Any suggestions? Thanks!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My Sony WH-1000XM4s check all those boxes except they cost about $350 retail. I have to take them off for a few minutes every 3-4 hours, though. Might be tough to sleep with them on.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Could anyone point me towards a replacement 6' cable for the Hd58X that is not through Amazon? I seem to remember ordering straight from them but I'm having trouble finding it again.

eBay has a bunch: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1256772344...emis&media=COPY

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My Sony WH-1000XM4s check all those boxes except they cost about $350 retail. I have to take them off for a few minutes every 3-4 hours, though. Might be tough to sleep with them on.

I sleep with them on whenever there's noise bugging me. I have to sleep on my back as a side sleeper cause they are too big to side sleep, but otherwise I find them very comfortable indefinitely.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Secondipity has these for sale refurbished on eBay for $180 all day.

That seller is where most people who get refurb Wony WH-1000xm# get them from (myself included), and if there are any issues, people have reported that they are good about replacements.

My refurb pair of WH-1000XM3s came from them, and I was hard pressed to tell that they weren't new.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Refurb/lightly used Bose QC 45s are another option. The QC 35s were a better headphone in nearly every way, but you'll have an easier time finding a reasonably priced Camry with less than 350,000 miles on it than you will a clean pair of those.

Advantages over the WH-1000XM4

+ Slimmer, lighter profile and slightly smaller carrying case
+ More comfortable with better internal clearance for bigger ears
+ Better battery/charging reliability. I've never had a battery or charge port fail on a Bose headphone, or get hot/melt while charging
+ Large physical buttons that are ergonomically placed and easily identifiable by feel
+ Hinge and other structural failures are extremely rare
+ ANC is also reliable. I have not heard any of reports of feedback squeal that seem to be so common on the XM3/4/5

Disadvantages:

- In-app EQ is only 3-band instead of 5 (6 if you count "Clear Bass") and seems to lack authority over very low and very high frequencies
- Battery life is 22 hours compared to 30 on the WH-1000XM4
- Worse Bluetooth performance. Brief dropouts are not uncommon, especially when connected to two devices at once
- Battery and headband cabling are soldered in instead of on a connector like the Sonys
- ANC cannot be disabled on the QC 45 and other current-gen Bose products. ANC noise floor is also higher
- Earcup pivots become tacky/creaky over time due to friction wear between yokes and slider trim. Sony addresses this potential issue on the XM3/4 by putting rubberized pads between them, though they have their own share of problems with creaky plastics elsewhere
- AAC and SBC are the only codecs supported. As I've commented in the past, codecs are unlikely to be a determining factor for sound quality on consumer-grade headphones. I haven't checked in Windows, but in macOS, the QC 45s use AAC with VBR up to 192kbps, which should be plenty.

I've observed the QC 35s to have slightly better sound quality compared to the XM3/4/5, but since the QC 45s are a downgrade in that department, those ones are about equally matched to the Sonys.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 17, 2024

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

My Jabra Elite 75Ts's right unit seems to have kicked the bucket (completely silent) after slightly more than 2 years. I need them for working out in the gym, on the local bus/stuff. I have the Galaxy Beans or w/e too for when I don't want anything inside my ear canals/I want to hear around me more. Friend recommended me the Anker Soundcore Liberty 4 NC and they seem to be a decent fit, especially for better ANC which I have started to hope for after using the local public transit more. The successors to the 75T seem way more expensive too, I picked the 75Ts off a sale for less than 100. I'll probably wait for a sale anyways for the Liberty 4s, even though they seem to be hovering just at the 100 which is my pain point.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Dessel posted:

My Jabra Elite 75Ts's right unit seems to have kicked the bucket (completely silent) after slightly more than 2 years. I need them for working out in the gym, on the local bus/stuff. I have the Galaxy Beans or w/e too for when I don't want anything inside my ear canals/I want to hear around me more. Friend recommended me the Anker Soundcore Liberty 4 NC and they seem to be a decent fit, especially for better ANC which I have started to hope for after using the local public transit more. The successors to the 75T seem way more expensive too, I picked the 75Ts off a sale for less than 100. I'll probably wait for a sale anyways for the Liberty 4s, even though they seem to be hovering just at the 100 which is my pain point.

There's a couple options that might save you a few euros (going off Amazon.de pricing, for whatever that's worth).

I've read that the Anker Space A40's are essentially as good as any of their earbuds and are generally less expensive, but I personally can't say I've tried either. Rtings seems to like the A40s though.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...&threshold=0.10

If you have an Android phone, the Samsung Buds FE might be another good option. I have these and I really like them. They'll work on iOS, but there's no app to adjust settings.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...&threshold=0.10

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Dessel posted:

There's a chance that you could still squeeze bit more life out of the jabras, if there's a little hole close to those copper dots, if it gets clogged that earpiece will stop working. You could try cleaning it gently with a toothpick or something to see what happens. https://www.reddit.com/r/Jabra/comments/o4jths/psa_why_the_elite_earbuds_stop_working_and_how_to/

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Both suggestions are great though I'm worrying even with the Soundcore's they might fall off my ears even though my gym trips aren't.... filled with violent motion, so the Space A40s might risk that. I'll definitely look into cleaning the Jabras. Thanks for the suggestions.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My brother wants some over the ear wireless headphones, and has a budget of $200. My recommendation to him were some WH1000XM4, which Ive had a few years and absolutely love, but those are out of his price range.

Hell be using it mostly on his phone (iPhone) and laptop. Any suggestions?
get those refurbished XM5s on ebay that someone linked a few weeks ago. thats what i did, and they are great for when i dont wanna disturb the gf

they are exactly $200: https://www.ebay.com/itm/314074071401

and i think you can get the also very good XM4s for even cheaper

The Ferret King posted:

Wife is looking for wireless headphones, over or on ear with active noise cancelling, transparency mode, and good battery life for all day wear.

She'd like to stay under $200.
same recommendation

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 20, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I couldn't think of a better place to ask about sleep earphones. I like having a way to block/drown out periodic noises that would keep me awake. Constant noises don't bother me because I tune them out, it's things like my wife or dog snoring, neighbours being noisy, etc. which cause me problems.

I had some Bose Sleepbuds and I loving loved them, they were perfect - comfortable for side sleeping, played their variant of white noise ("warm static" which I'm told was very popular), lasted all night, had a nicely customisable alarm (I like to get up a lot earlier than my wife). After 2 years of use, their battery won't hold a reliable charge any more and they've stopped selling them.

I'm aware of their replacement "Ozlo" that are currently on Indiegogo, but they don't deliver to the UK before May. I bought some Anker sleepbuds and they're awful - uncomfortable materials (ear flange is too stiff), battery is unreliable, alarm is jarring. Does anyone else use anything similar?

What I want:
- Comfortable for side sleeping
- Customisable alarm volume at the very least
- Plays white noise, don't care about music or any audio from my actual phone
- Battery lasts 8h at a reasonable volume

I'd try to find second hand Bose sleepbuds but the concept of that is kind of disgusting.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Aside from Anker I'm unaware of sleep buds on the market still

I'm shocked at how high the prices have climbed on the Bose sleepbuds II, that's bananas

Everything else in finding is a crapshoot on AliExpress; the Xiaomi ones look like they have a long nozzle, so those are likely out

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 20, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This might be a silly question but does anyone have a recommendation for pouches for IEMs? I've got several pairs and I want something to put the drat things in.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

MarcusSA posted:

This might be a silly question but does anyone have a recommendation for pouches for IEMs? I've got several pairs and I want something to put the drat things in.

Probably overkill, but I use a Peli 1030 Micro Case.

I'd also be down for pouch recommendations for my less expensive ones.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I've seen people using this style of IEM case (as well as the ones listed in the "similar sponsored items") and they look perfect

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125351281341

I've been wanting to pick some up, but haven't gotten around to seeing if there is anything equivalent that's cheaper and/or ships from the US.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 21, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Go on AliExpress and search for IEM Case or IEM Pouch, you'll find dozens for like $2-3 each. I bought a pile of them a while back when it became clear I was going to have a lot of IEMs. If they're not leaving the house they don't need to be super sturdy anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

I've seen people using this style of IEM case (as well as the ones listed in the "similar sponsored items") and they look perfect

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125351281341

I've been wanting to pick some up, but haven't gotten around to seeing if there is anything equivalent that's cheaper and/or ships from the US.

This is nice but a bit pricey.

njsykora posted:

Go on AliExpress and search for IEM Case or IEM Pouch, you'll find dozens for like $2-3 each. I bought a pile of them a while back when it became clear I was going to have a lot of IEMs. If they're not leaving the house they don't need to be super sturdy anyway.

Ok Ill give that a shot thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone is interested I picked up this

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $1.47 66% Off | Headphone Storage Bag U Disk USB Data Cable Organizer Earphone Accessories Memory Card Pouch Mini Purse Coin Key Bags
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMKnsMW

And

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $2.95 | KZ Earphone Case ABS Resin Waterproof Protective Portable Storage Case Bag Box Earbud for KZ ZSN ZS6 ASX ZSX ZAX AS16 EDX
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKF0XG2

The Salnotes Zero are kinda large so Im not sure which one would fit them better so I got both.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i paid ~$7 for the windows 10 A2DP driver that does LDAC for my new/refurbished XM5s and i guess its better?!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Soundpeats update: I had the wing things on backwards lol. Turns out there are *two* orientation dents instead of one and combined they force them into the right position which is the reverse of what it looks like. They then fit much better. Felt pretty stupid there.

Also the battery life on them is ridiculous as both the things on the neckband are batteries, it's just a shame that the control unit has then been made so small that the usb charging port has dire warnings about putting too much current through it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Just as a tip, these changed my life when it came to getting a good nights sleep: https://www.ebay.com/itm/230934033968

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Yup just get a container of Macks earplugs and call it a day

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Is there any better deal than Samsung Buds FE if you own a Samsung phone?

I really liked Jaybirds even though some don't. But they're all out of stock in the EU store.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

probably not if you get them from ebay, there's always a glut of dirt cheap galaxy buds being sold by people who got them bundled with a phone and don't want them

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

repiv posted:

probably not if you get them from ebay, there's always a glut of dirt cheap galaxy buds being sold by people who got them bundled with a phone and don't want them

A bunch of weird online-only businesses already sell them for 3/5s of the MRSP. None seem 0% sketch but they're at least legitimate enough to be found on shopping comparison sites and have reviews.

And some big box stores already go 4/5 of the MRSP.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah Samsung Buds are one of those things where I don't think I've ever seen them listed at MSRP. Regardless of phone though they're pretty consistently some of the best wireless buds out there.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

MarcusSA posted:

If anyone is interested I picked up this

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $2.95 | KZ Earphone Case ABS Resin Waterproof Protective Portable Storage Case Bag Box Earbud for KZ ZSN ZS6 ASX ZSX ZAX AS16 EDX
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKF0XG2

The Salnotes Zero are kinda large so Im not sure which one would fit them better so I got both.

I've had what's probably the same case as this resin one for a few years. It's a little tight getting the IEMs and the cable in (Blon BL-02), but other than that it works great.

Bright Bart posted:

Is there any better deal than Samsung Buds FE if you own a Samsung phone?

I really liked Jaybirds even though some don't. But they're all out of stock in the EU store.

I'll add another positive vote for the FE's. I have Buds+, Buds 2, Buds 2 Pro, and the FE's thanks to the aforementioned Samsung bundles and the FE are probably the most comfortable and best fitting of all of them.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

edit: unintentional double post

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 25, 2024

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Figure this would be a decent place to ask, as it seems people at least sound like they know what they're talking about.

I'm looking for a new set of headphones, nothing crazy expensive, but something that I could wear while I walk to work and back, or sit and paint. I'm running it from my phone, so it needs either a 3.5mm jack or bluetooth connectivity and at least a 4 hour battery life (a USB-C charging poirt would be cool, too, so I can share chargers with my phone). There doesn't need to be any ANC, and would probably prefer it if it wasn't there, but it's not a dealbreaker.

What is a dealbreaker, though, is those dumb loving ear flanges on earbuds. Jesus loving christ I hate the feeling of putting them in and taking them out, and having the rubber catch on the inside of my ear canal and just scraaaape. gently caress all of the way off.

Right now, I have some Turtle Beach Recon 70s I got gifted from Walmart, and they're OK. The big thing is, as I'm walking, there's been times where the cord is getting kinked and my phone's stopped playing because it thinks the cord got removed. I don't mind the over-ear closed back headphones, and having the mic and physical volume controls are nice. I also live in the Northeast US, so having a slim profile would be appreciated so that way they can fit under my winter hat, but again, not a dealbreaker if they don't.

Ideally, I'd figure out a way to get the shells from some old Sony MDR-J10s and put some bluetooth earbud internals into those, because those were the poo poo. However, I can't really do that, so I'd appreciate any recommendations. Budget-wise, I'd like to try and spend under $50, but I could see myself maybe going up to $100 if what I'm seeing ticks all my boxes (and there's a good return policy if I end up hating them in practice).

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 25, 2024

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Aniodia posted:

Figure this would be a decent place to ask, as it seems people at least sound like they know what they're talking about.

I'm looking for a new set of headphones, nothing crazy expensive, but something that I could wear while I walk to work and back, or sit and paint. I'm running it from my phone, so it needs either a 3.5mm jack or bluetooth connectivity and at least a 4 hour battery life (a USB-C charging poirt would be cool, too, so I can share chargers with my phone). There doesn't need to be any ANC, and would probably prefer it if it wasn't there, but it's not a dealbreaker.

What is a dealbreaker, though, is those dumb loving ear flanges on earbuds. Jesus loving christ I hate the feeling of putting them in and taking them out, and having the rubber catch on the inside of my ear canal and just scraaaape. gently caress all of the way off.

Right now, I have some Turtle Beach Recon 70s I got gifted from Walmart, and they're OK. The big thing is, as I'm walking, there's been times where the cord is getting kinked and my phone's stopped playing because it thinks the cord got removed. I don't mind the over-ear closed back headphones, and having the mic and physical volume controls are nice. I also live in the Northeast US, so having a slim profile would be appreciated so that way they can fit under my winter hat, but again, not a dealbreaker if they don't.

Ideally, I'd figure out a way to get the shells from some old Sony MDR-J10s and put some bluetooth earbud internals into those, because those were the poo poo. However, I can't really do that, so I'd appreciate any recommendations. Budget-wise, I'd like to try and spend under $50, but I could see myself maybe going up to $100 if what I'm seeing ticks all my boxes (and there's a good return policy if I end up hating them in practice).
tl;dr but get the refurb XM5s or XM4s from ebay and turn the ANC off or turn ambient sound on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've praised my Beats Studio Buds+ in here as a good option for us weirdos with both Android and i(Pad)OS devices. But I've gotta make one major complaint: if you drop the case, the buds will definitely go flying quite far in separate directions. I've had them launch into the next room.

And the cool translucent retro styling basically blends in with anything. I have accepted that I am eventually going to lose one or both buds this way.