Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This election has been frustratingly light on actual policy proposals from any candidates. However, Biden is reportedly finally going to introduce some of his 2024 campaign platform at the State of Union address.

In addition to the platform information, Politico reports that Biden is planning to devote a large portion of his State of the Union address to grocery prices and "shrinkflation" this year. Additionally, he will announce support for new legislation regulating "shrinkflation" and price increases as part of his 2024 campaign.

He has asked his team to come up with additional policies they can propose, but they have only settled on a few so far because there is not much he can do executively.

So far, the policies they will announce/support are:

- The FTC challenging a merger between the Kroger and Albertsons grocery store chains.

The FTC will likely announce this next week.

- Requiring companies report their price increases and data justifying them to the SEC during "times of crisis."

Examples would include a pandemic, national/global shortage, or severe economic conditions.

- Looking into a way to require companies to advertise on their packaging that they have shrunk the unit size of their product, but maintained or raised the price, for a certain period of time after they do so.

- Endorse "The Price Gouging Prevention Act"

Specifics of the legislation here:

- Make shrinkflation and corporate greed, including calling out specific companies, a focus during his public speeches in the hope that it will pressure companies to slow price increases or lower prices.

That is all they have settled on so far and most of it won't have any immediate impact because it is likely to be dead in the legislature and the options for executive action are limited. They plan to have other policies implemented or announced during the election, but no information about what those potential policies would be.

https://twitter.com/meredithllee/status/1761049989604590043

Proposing new FTC regulations as the cornerstone of the State of the Union when SCOTUS is on the verge of annihilating Chevron Deference may have some flaws as a political strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
sounds like one of Don's allies used a cross somewhere in the US (or world) as its soul jar.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The purpose is to generate positive media coverage, not to effect any actual policy changes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mawarannahr posted:

No Navalny in the first 10,000 pixels.

when i posted it was the main story. good that this one is now top though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
““Remember, every communist regime throughout history has tried to stamp out the churches, just like every fascist regime has tried to co-opt them and control them,” Trump told hundreds of cheering attendees at the National Religious Broadcasters International Christian Media Convention in Nashville.”

I could choke on the irony.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I feel like the cnn international edition homepage used to be markedly better and less tabloid-y than the US one, but it seems about the same now in that regard :rip:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

““Remember, every communist regime throughout history has tried to stamp out the churches, just like every fascist regime has tried to co-opt them and control them,” Trump told hundreds of cheering attendees at the National Religious Broadcasters International Christian Media Convention in Nashville.”

Somehow I don't think we're anywhere near the Christian right getting to a "Are we the baddies?" point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mawarannahr posted:

I feel like the cnn international edition homepage used to be markedly better and less tabloid-y than the US one, but it seems about the same now in that regard :rip:

Alot of the MSN isn't exactly uber rara israel and etc and havent been since maybe a month after october 7th. they mostly report other stuff but when it is reportered its mostly horror story from doctors in gaza hospitals or water situations. same with the Nightly News too.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Morrow posted:

Honestly I trust the dog.

Dogs don't lie. It looks like Commander is a Very Good Boy and should get extra treats and belly rubs for protecting his master.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

The Lone Badger posted:

Just yeet the frozen storage cylinders into a courthouse and peel out of there. Their problem now.

Imagine if they have a safe haven law for abandoning babies. :twisted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On the desktop version of CNN.com there's a "Russia and Ukraine" section just below the fold with two Navalny stories

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

haveblue posted:

On the desktop version of CNN.com there's a "Russia and Ukraine" section just below the fold with two Navalny stories

and it had been above the fold for quite a while

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Man, if you wrote a movie this blatant people would call you a hack.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

this seems way to coherent for Don

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shoutout to https://lite.cnn.com

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Zapp Brannigan posted:

Dogs don't lie. It looks like Commander is a Very Good Boy and should get extra treats and belly rubs for protecting his master.

Menswear Guy is not wrong

https://twitter.com/dieworkwear/status/1760516017019850778

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

The purpose is to generate positive media coverage, not to effect any actual policy changes.

This doesn’t seem to be true, as Biden is actually doing his student debt relief in a similar manner.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kchama posted:

This doesn’t seem to be true, as Biden is actually doing his student debt relief in a similar manner.

The legislative stuff is definitely just to position himself somewhere and have a bill to pass if he gets re-elected. There is very little chance those pass.

The FTC stuff was always happening, but I guess the strategy is to hype it up a lot more because this specific time they are going after grocery chains.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There were 24 biting incidents, but it wasn't necessarily 24 different people. Maybe all 24 were directed at the guy with brown shoes and blue socks.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Inferior Third Season posted:

Proposing new FTC regulations as the cornerstone of the State of the Union when SCOTUS is on the verge of annihilating Chevron Deference may have some flaws as a political strategy.
Or it makes the stakes and damages of nuking Chevron more relatable to the overwhelming majority of the public who - at best - will be confused why the Supreme Court cares about someone suing a gas station :shrug:

But that gets in to whether a president gets credit for trying and failing or simply is hit for the failure, an underrated topic in the eternal slapfight pantheon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

There were 24 biting incidents, but it wasn't necessarily 24 different people. Maybe all 24 were directed at the guy with brown shoes and blue socks.

There is actually a detailed breakdown of all 24 biting incidents to go along with the article

That must have been a fun FOIA request to process

What did Commander witness at those classified locations?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

There is actually a detailed breakdown of all 24 biting incidents to go along with the article

That must have been a fun FOIA request to process

Yeah, but all the names are redacted and none of them mention if there were any fashion faux pas going on at the time.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The legislative stuff is definitely just to position himself somewhere and have a bill to pass if he gets re-elected. There is very little chance those pass.

The FTC stuff was always happening, but I guess the strategy is to hype it up a lot more because this specific time they are going after grocery chains.

I thought the FTC stuff was what they were talking about.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The dog thing is such a weird aspect of his presidency, like is it an intentional distraction, huge needlessly forced error, weird plot by the secret service? It's just such a dumb thing I can't help but think there is more to it, when there probably isn't.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Inferior Third Season posted:

It has some flaws as a POLICY strategy. As a political strategy I think it may work well.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, but all the names are redacted and none of them mention if there were any fashion faux pas going on at the time.

It'd tickle my cold little heart if it ends up that Commander was biting all the Trumpist SS agents trying to hurt his owner, and it'd actually make for a comedic family movie. Assassination plot foiled by loyal watchdog as bumbling owner never realizes what's happening and wacky-haired villain throws temper tantrum as his goons keep failing.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she might have a dawing realization she has to have moderate conservatives on her side but lol.

Yeah the thing is she included Democrats, which should get her excommunicated and possibly burned at the stake.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

haveblue posted:

My playlist switched to a track from the Chaos Theory soundtrack when I read this, so it came off as very sinister indeed.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

socialsecurity posted:

The dog thing is such a weird aspect of his presidency, like is it an intentional distraction, huge needlessly forced error, weird plot by the secret service? It's just such a dumb thing I can't help but think there is more to it, when there probably isn't.
A really busy guy is probably not the best person to be the owner of a type of dog that requires a lot of attention, and the SS are not dog whisperers.

Personally, I think it indicates poor judgment and selfishness that he would adopt a new dog while serving as president.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 23, 2024

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Many of the reports say the incidents happened when Biden wasn't around, so probably not that.

Although, some of the reports are also pretty silly. One of them says an agent was concerned for their safety because "the dog ran up to him and emitted sustained barking shortly after he emerged from the door."

Yeah, dawg. Running and barking when you're outside and see a new person is a pretty normal dog thing.

Considering a cop's first instinct upon seeing a barking dog is to empty the clip into it, if anything we should be commending these SS agents upon their restraint in not giving into their base instincts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sundae posted:

It'd tickle my cold little heart if it ends up that Commander was biting all the Trumpist SS agents trying to hurt his owner, and it'd actually make for a comedic family movie. Assassination plot foiled by loyal watchdog as bumbling owner never realizes what's happening and wacky-haired villain throws temper tantrum as his goons keep failing.

Air Bud 17: Secret Furvice

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There's also a darker possibility: Commander was high on cocaine.

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1760793092129464332

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

There's also a darker possibility: Commander was high on cocaine.

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1760793092129464332

Republicans simply cannot stop talking about how cool the Biden family is

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ain't no treaty that says a dog can't engage in espionage.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mawarannahr posted:

A really busy guy is probably not the best person to be the owner of a type of dog that requires a lot of attention, and the SS are not dog whisperers.

Personally, I think it indicates poor judgment and selfishness that he would adopt a new dog while serving as president.

Clearly we need to draft Cesar Millan into the Secret Service.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Florida's legislature passed a law that is going to immediately trigger a legal case they will probably lose, but will be interesting to see.

They are attempting to ban all forms of social media for people 16 and under that feature auto-scrolls, feeds, or "addictive features" designed to cause excessive or addictive use.

They believe they will get around any potential first amendment issues because it only applies to minors and only targets specific harmful features rather than speech itself.

quote:

Florida lawmakers pass ban on social media for kids under 16 despite constitutional concerns

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A bill to create one of the nation’s most restrictive bans on minors’ use of social media is heading to Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has expressed concerns about the legislation to keep children under the age of 16 off popular platforms regardless of parental approval.

The House passed the bill on a 108-7 vote Thursday just hours after the Senate approved it 23-14. The Senate made changes to the original House bill, which Republican Speaker Paul Renner said he hopes will address DeSantis’ questions about privacy.

The bill targets any social media site that tracks user activity, allows children to upload material and interact with others, and uses addictive features designed to cause excessive or compulsive use. Supporters point to rising suicide rates among children, cyberbullying and predators using social media to prey on kids.

“We’re talking about businesses that are using addictive features to engage in mass manipulation of our children to cause them harm,” said the bill’s Senate sponsor, Republican Erin Grall.

Other states have considered similar legislation, but most have not proposed a total ban. In Arkansas, a federal judge blocked enforcement of a law in August that required parental consent for minors to create new social media accounts.

Supporters in Florida hope that if the bill becomes law, it would withstand legal challenges because it would ban social media formats based on addictive features such as notification alerts and autoplay videos, rather than the content on their sites.

But opponents say it blatantly violates the First Amendment and that it should left to parents, not the government, to monitor children’s social media use.

“This isn’t 1850. While parents show up at school board meetings to ban books, their kids are on their iPads looking at really bad stuff,” said Democratic state Sen. Jason Pizzo.

He sarcastically said lawmakers have other options if they want to parent other people’s children.

“Let’s have a bill that encourages engaging with your children, cooking dinner, sitting at a table together, making eye contact, calling grandma to see if she’s OK once in a while.” he said.

The legislation had a mix of Republicans and Democrats on both sides of the issue.

DeSantis said he understood that the platforms could be harmful to teenagers, but stressed that parents need to play a role in monitoring use.

“We can’t say that 100% of the uses are bad because they’re not,” DeSantis said at an Orlando-area news conference before the bill passed. “I don’t think it’s there yet, but I hope we can get there in a way that answers parents’ concerns.”

But Renner, who made the issue his top legislative priority, thinks the governor will approve the final product because it addresses his concerns about user anonymity.

Some parents also have mixed feelings.

Angela Perry, a mother from central Florida, said she understands the rationale behind bill, and that she and her husband didn’t let their daughter onto any major platforms until she turned 15. But she believes it should be up to every parent to make that decision based on the maturity of their children.

“Whatever happened to parental rights?” Perry said. “You are already selecting books my child can read at school. That is fine to a certain extent. But now you are also moving into their private life as well. It’s becoming intrusive.”

The Florida bill would require social media companies to close any accounts it believes to be used by minors and to cancel accounts at the request of a minor or parents. Any information pertaining to the account must be deleted.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n..._source=twitter

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The FBI source who was just recently indicted for lying about Hunter Biden and Joe Biden to the FBI, and whose testimony was what the GOP based most of the impeachment proceedings on, and later admitted he was passing on information from Russian intelligence sources without proof has just been rearrested after it appears that his attorneys were trying to facilitate an attempt to have him flee to an unspecified foreign country (assumed to be Russia) before he could be prosecuted.

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/status/1761092262186963257

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ah, well, nevertheless, we mustn't let this set back the impeachment efforts.

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Florida's legislature passed a law that is going to immediately trigger a legal case they will probably lose, but will be interesting to see.

They are attempting to ban all forms of social media for people 16 and under that feature auto-scrolls, feeds, or "addictive features" designed to cause excessive or addictive use.

They believe they will get around any potential first amendment issues because it only applies to minors and only targets specific harmful features rather than speech itself.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n..._source=twitter

So our forums are still a safe bastion for Florida's social media-hungry teens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

:confused:

The dog thing is entirely inconsequential and not part of anyone's political schemes except for bored reporters and right-wingers desperate to find something, anything to criticize about Biden that doesn't sound completely insane.