Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

shootforit posted:

How could they get so many trivial things about the weapons wrong/other stupid things...

-Battle rifle and DMR are NOT FULL AUTOMATIC GUNS.

Pedantic nerd time. The Battle Rifle and DMR are technically fully automatic weapons in the lore but are tuned to burst fire and semi-auto for gameplay purposes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The needler didn't really explode it's target, even a single needle will go off eventually and cause a bit of damage right? I guess if you're unarmored and its right in your chest that will do it. I was more confused by the needles glancing off the Elite's armor, I don't remember them ever doing that, and also didn't John take a plasma pistol shot right in the chest?

I think the last time we saw Kai she was with Ackerson. I'm guessing she's still with him, and will show up, fully armored, to do some rescuing next episode.

I agree it sucks they couldn't be armored up and badass for the big fight. It almost feels like they're mad about the helmet criticisms. "Oh you don't like the Spartans taking their helmets off all the time in combat? Well now we're taking away all their armor!"

Speaking of me reading too much into things, I got a chuckle from John cutting Keyes off as he was explaining the strategy of funneling the enemy into a bottleneck to neutralize their huge numerical advantage. He's a Spartan Keyes, what made that term so famous in the first place?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Spartans in their armor probably very easily win that fight which is why you don't have them in it. Even without it they were pretty much the last ones standing and John was still pretty evenly matched with the guy who I think is the Arbiter.

Really enjoyed that episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The (maybe) Arbiter cutting off the other Elite's head didn't feel very lore accurate.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

shootforit posted:

It was a fun episode of sci-fi battles.

But,

-Where is Kai at? She's one of the few redeeming qualities of the show.
-John Halo pics up an energy sword to much fanfare...ignites it...and then doesn't get to use it.

Kai went with Ackerson.
If they don't have a rematch in the finale with an energy sword I will be shocked.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Whenever Kai is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where is Kai?"

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I did get a good laugh at the Needler scene. It's totally within Halo canon that your Needler needles will never loving explode when you want them too, but they will the exact moment you don't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Where’s the grunts

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I wanna see how they buff the grunts like they buffed the jackals making them bigger and giving them plasma short swords. Give the grunts longer legs and some plasma flails maybe?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They grunt longer and harder.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

That was an okay episode I guess. It's only the start of the Fall of Reach so plenty of time for more cool stuff. Lmfao that there's not gonna be a cool space battle because the Navy just ran away lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Buff grunts dual wielding fuel rod guns.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Arc Hammer posted:

Buff grunts dual wielding fuel rod guns.

Lmao I want to see this so bad

Also hunters dual wielding swords. Swords for everyone!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jehde posted:

I wanna see how they buff the grunts like they buffed the jackals making them bigger and giving them plasma short swords. Give the grunts longer legs and some plasma flails maybe?

They drive now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

The (maybe) Arbiter cutting off the other Elite's head didn't feel very lore accurate.

We don't know much about the previous Arbiter, unless it's in a book I didn't read. The one we play is just given that rank in Halo 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

counterfeitsaint posted:

They drive now.

They drive now!?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well after this week's episode all I can say is:

#notmygunny

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Monica Bellucci posted:

Uh, am I having an optical event? Everything is green and pink/purple. Is this lovely feed or brain stuff symptoms?

lovely feed, yeah. I had to hunt for a non-hurawatch source.

Enjoyed the ride for this one. Pretty good pacing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Arc Hammer posted:

They drive now!?

They drive now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't believe they forgot about the Bullfrogs

Also lmao the grenades are Halo 1 strength and lmao at giving the blind guy the grenade launcher

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 23, 2024

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Honestly the show would be better if they just adopted Halo CE's physics model altogether

e: next episode reveals that Kai has been wandering in a salmon-pink expanse of nothingness since she superbounced out of the map

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 23, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't believe they forgot about the Bullfrogs

Also lmao the grenades are Halo 1 strength and lmao at giving the blind guy the grenade launcher

As soon as I saw that, I knew he'd be the most accurate and have the highest kill count, and at least one perfectly aimed shot to wipe out some dug in covenant.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

counterfeitsaint posted:

As soon as I saw that, I knew he'd be the most accurate and have the highest kill count, and at least one perfectly aimed shot to wipe out some dug in covenant.

Also got a chuckle out of the Arbiter getting as annoyed as I did that the one elite ruined the fight scene for everyone

Good episode but real goofy lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah this episode was fun as hell to watch but it was also really getting close to maxing out my tolerance for cliches per minute.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Think they'll get their armour back at some point or is it just T-Shirt Chief for the rest of Reach falling.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The armor is almost certainly off-planet with Kai and Ackerson.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Think they'll get their armour back at some point or is it just T-Shirt Chief for the rest of Reach falling.

Someone could have at least thrown him a vest

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Boy they are really fully going off the track now. On the one hand i'm like how the gently caress are you going to kill keyes at reach?? Whats going to take his place in halo CE (lol there will never be a season 3), but on the other... I now have absolutely no idea where even the main story is going to go.

I did rather like all the spartans being out of armor though, in all of halo spartans area always seen as walking tanks so it was different to see them deal with a battle without that benefit for once. Also lol they really did blow the budget on this one (and good for them, it looked great), looking at the next episode preview, its like a greatest hits of every storyline and character that no one cares about.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I’m pretty okay with them writing their own story - it’s not like the overarching narrative of the games was some kind of foundational work in the literary canon or something.

I think the show does a good job of capturing the spirit of the games - this episode did a great job of nailing the thing I think you have to nail about Master Chief, which is the almost mythical status he has among the marines. One of the things that made the games stand out was Chief’s interaction/relationship with the marine grunts you run into, who really sell the idea that 117 showing up just like takes a hosed situation to “aww hell yeah” instantly.

As long as we get a cathartic moment by the end of the season when he tosses on the armor, slaps that Cortana chip into the slot, and they hit the fuckin’ theme music, I’m good to go.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My guess is that the flood are removed entirely (and it's unlikely we would get them in a hypothetical 3rd season regardless), so his last stand here may be a replacement for his eventual sacrifice in the game. Pretty sure Miranda's gonna show up with the Pillar of Autumn and scoop up Chief and jump to the Halo. I am curious about how they're going to get chief hooked back up with Cortana. Rampant (heh) speculation time: Makes surreptitiously slipped chief Cortana during the fracas because she wants him to get to the Halo and Cortana will have the coordinates and trigger the jump or something along those lines.

e: action scene music really needs more Taiko drums and that iconic halo action theme. I get that none of the action scenes so far have been very "gently caress yeah" but throw us a drat bone here

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Outside of Green Space Man and Mountain Dew the music is the thing most people know Halo for. Marty is an rear end in a top hat but I wouldn't feel bad if the show riffed in his and Michael's music more.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

My guess is that the flood are removed entirely (and it's unlikely we would get them in a hypothetical 3rd season regardless), so his last stand here may be a replacement for his eventual sacrifice in the game. Pretty sure Miranda's gonna show up with the Pillar of Autumn and scoop up Chief and jump to the Halo. I am curious about how they're going to get chief hooked back up with Cortana. Rampant (heh) speculation time: Makes surreptitiously slipped chief Cortana during the fracas because she wants him to get to the Halo and Cortana will have the coordinates and trigger the jump or something along those lines.

e: action scene music really needs more Taiko drums and that iconic halo action theme. I get that none of the action scenes so far have been very "gently caress yeah" but throw us a drat bone here

I thought that whole scene where Kwan was talking about the monster was foreshadowing the Flood. You can't really remove them from Halo without taking away the whole reason installations were built.

I think that this season will probably end with Chief rescuing Cortana then escaping on the Pillar of Autumn while the remaining troops all sacrifice themselves to cover his escape. Either Kai or Soren are gonna be the Noble Six stand-in.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Everyone thought Kwan was talking about the Flood, but knowing screenwriters the monster was just 'loss' or 'time' or 'grief' or 'death' or some allegorical poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

My guess is that the flood are removed entirely

Nah. Go back and look at Kwan's cave painting from the end of episode one. That's the Gravemind.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Really unfortunate coincidence that the Covenant took out three of the black male characters this episode. Get the gently caress out Soren! The Covenant has cop brain

I sort of suspect Keyes is coming back, we didn't see a body

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm enjoying this even though I'm positive it'll be cancelled.

A question though.

I've only played Halo 1 and watched my roommate play Halo 2 and 3. Why is Reach such an important a planet? I remember that in Halo 2 it was a big deal the Covenant found Earth. What's the deal with Earth in the show?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reach is the second most heavily defended planet in human space and it acts as the headquarters for the UNSC fleet as well as a defensive gateway to the Inner Colonies and Earth. It is the last line of defense before the Inner Colonies are utterly screwed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Arc Hammer posted:

Reach is the second most heavily defended planet in human space and it acts as the headquarters for the UNSC fleet as well as a defensive gateway to the Inner Colonies and Earth. It is the last line of defense before the Inner Colonies are utterly screwed.

That's good to know, they didn't really explain that in the show.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah. Go back and look at Kwan's cave painting from the end of episode one. That's the Gravemind.

Oh poo poo good catch. It was so dark I couldn't really make out much detail. If so that's smart on their part to link Kwan with that so it doesn't come out of nowhere.

Codependent Poster posted:

I thought that whole scene where Kwan was talking about the monster was foreshadowing the Flood. You can't really remove them from Halo without taking away the whole reason installations were built.

I think that this season will probably end with Chief rescuing Cortana then escaping on the Pillar of Autumn while the remaining troops all sacrifice themselves to cover his escape. Either Kai or Soren are gonna be the Noble Six stand-in.

I think Riz is probably toast but Soren is way too charismatic to get rid of, if they write out Bokeem then they are absolute buffoons. Same for Kai, really. I'm wondering if she'll essentially end up like Jun from Reach, who flies away with Halsey and is never mentioned again.

Something tells me that most of the Spartans are going to end up like how the Star Wars EU keeps revealing Jedi that survived order 66 and are just out there chillin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GreenNight posted:

they didn't really explain that in the show.

HaloTheShow.txt