Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1761083551829688737?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

If you have to be the token something I feel like token “not pants on fire stupid in the Fox News crew” is a good pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

jokes posted:

conservative men don't know and don't care about anything to do with real-world pregnancies, they only accept the most simple, cartoon version of a thing. for pregnancy that's "woman has sex, gets pregnant, and a fresh republican is born"

remember that boomer dude that went on the news and said when he was young, the only pill they needed to not get pregnant was a pill women held between their knees? that was a boomer who enjoyed a youth of consequence-free loving and drug use who instantly decided that loving and drug use are now illegal once they turned 35

had a boomer coworker when trump came to office who lost his mind and turned megachud. but he was also known to brag about when he was young he would sell drugs and drug women at the bar...this person worked as an occupational therapist in the hospital. I was very openly not ok with his bullshit. also he was an alcholic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Serious_Cyclone posted:

:lmao: they actually took a strategy from one of the PDW posts after the verdict and ran with it

I'm sure his obvious good-faith compliance will be looked kindly upon by the appointed monitors and appellate courts

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1761083551829688737?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

If you have to be the token something I feel like token “not pants on fire stupid in the Fox News crew” is a good pick.
The driest of the pee-pants crew.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Dumb question but what is a tankie? I thought it was a militant leftist but I might be wrong

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Dumb question but what is a tankie? I thought it was a militant leftist but I might be wrong

Halfway there. Specifically Russia can never do anything wrong. There's a historical anecdote about it related to tanks but I can't be bothered.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

WHY BONER NOW posted:

they're similar to undecided voters: braindead morons who are in fact fascists.

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

azflyboy posted:

IIRC, Waters wrote that based in part on a drunk rant Eric Clapton went on at a 1976 concert, where he told the crowd that;

Christ, good to know Clapton was always a gigantic rear end in a top hat, even prior to the whole infant defenestration incident. Thanks for the context.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Commodore_64 posted:

Just keep the c and go for conservative.

you get to be ceo for a day

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

a person who's so addicted to the spice melange that they have to live in a huge tank full of it while they navigate the paths between stars

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Common misconception. It's actual an article of clothing, a blend of tank top and onesie.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone who is "in the tank" for Russia

(the toilet tank)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Someone who is "in the tank" for Russia

(the toilet tank)

So THAT'S why all those Russian soldiers kept stealing or breaking toilets during the first few months of the invasion of Ukraine!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

Kelsie Norris-De La Cruz tried not to cry as the doctor in the emergency room delivered one of the most frightening diagnoses a pregnant woman can receive. The 25-year-old college senior was told she likely had an ectopic pregnancy, a highly dangerous condition where the embryo implants outside of the uterus. Without immediate treatment, the fallopian tube can rupture — and the patient can die.

The law that has prohibited abortions in Texas since Roe v. Wade was overturned now explicitly allows doctors to treat ectopic pregnancies. But when doctors at Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital evaluated Norris-De La Cruz last week, they refused to terminate the pregnancy, saying there was some chance the pregnancy was still viable, Norris-De La Cruz recalled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

In theory it was supposed to mean "someone who is a supporter of militant opposition to capitalism by communism" but like a lot of things has ended up being "People who are willing to full-throatedly support anyone and anything that is anti-US/western, even capitalist or effectively capitalist governments or those doing terrible things." It comes up a lot with discussion of Russia lately because there are people who've decided that Russia, in doing something the US opposes, must be objectively in the right and everyone else is the wrong in ways that have become increasingly far right wing because you're not immune to getting deep in a right wing echo chamber even if you start on the left.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone who the term "Tankie" is applied to and the term is sometimes just used to mean "extreme leftist/someone who has criticisms of the US."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Actual answer: it’s a derogatory term in leftist circles for pro-authoritarian lefties. Historically it originally referred to UK communists who supported the Soviets sending in tanks to crack down on Hungarian elections. Nowadays, it’s people who support regimes like Russia, North Korea, Syria, etc almost solely because they’re aligned against Western interests.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
The historical context for the word is the Western Stalinist who came out in support of the Soviet Union's invasion of Hungary and Czechoslovakia in which they quite literally rolled their tanks across another country's border where called tankies in the 1950's-60's. It has become a catch-all for any M/L communist these days but it's funny how applicable the word is still due to Ukraine.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
technically Glenn Greenwald would be a tankie if he didnt suck off regressives soo much imo.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

azflyboy posted:

IIRC, Waters wrote that based in part on a drunk rant Eric Clapton went on at a 1976 concert, where he told the crowd that;

Are you sure it wasn't just his magic talking guitar going on an insane racist tirade?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Big fans of authoritarian anti-American countries. The types of people who would have cheered for the tanks at Tiananmen, Czechoslovakia, etc. basically. "America bad, other country oppose America, therefore other country good." sort of thinking. Militant leftists are prone to it but it's not the same thing as just wanting a revolution here.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Huh, thanks guys! Lot more context than I had assumed, very interesting

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

technically Glenn Greenwald would be a tankie if he didnt suck off regressives soo much imo.
I think of greenwald as just a plain-old fascist collaborator now rather than a "tankie", he's been too cozy with far-right assholes for too long to hold onto any pretenses of being a leftist... but maybe that's a tomato/tomahto thing in light of how the term frequently gets used these days

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, one thing worth remembering is that 'leftist', at least in US terms, is barely relevant as a label because what passes for the left in the US is basically an extremely loose bundle of people who vary from "I'd rather not be murdered because of my skin color" to "I think healthcare would be nice" to "Capitalism is bad" to "Everyone in the US is a justifiable target to destroy capitalism." There's genuinely very little tying everyone together except a general opposition to "gently caress you, I'm rich" types, and even then you have plenty of people who technically fall into the 'leftist' category who would probably be conservative if the conservatives would drop a bit of the homophobia/sexism/racism/etc.

It's a big part of why leftist groups have so much trouble gathering meaningful power because there are a lot of groups who would be inherently opposed even in left groups and some of them really wouldn't qualify as left in the slightest if not for like one or two single-issue situations that the zeitgeist has sort of forced into being 'left.'

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Actual answer: it’s a derogatory term in leftist circles for pro-authoritarian lefties. Historically it originally referred to UK communists who supported the Soviets sending in tanks to crack down on Hungarian elections. Nowadays, it’s people who support regimes like Russia, North Korea, Syria, etc almost solely because they’re aligned against Western interests.

ok so my answer was the most accurate then

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Serious_Cyclone posted:

they have become so bitterly attached to the idea that they are an opponent to the Dems that they jumped the ends of the horseshoe and are finding more kinship with the right than the left.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

PhazonLink posted:

Greenwald was never a leftist, just a Libertarian who really hated the US intelligence apparatus.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Huh, thanks guys! Lot more context than I had assumed, very interesting

its people who love the power and grace of tanks as a machine and recognize the sleek, curvaceous, seductive designs as the modern marvels that they are

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Samovar posted:

Well! I actually followed up on the source given (The World Revolution 1917–1936 by CLR James), and while it records the quote in this way: 'many of the rank-and-file used it among themselves, no doubt sincerely believing in this as Marxism', it doesn't give any further detail in that regard. More information may be found in 'The Communist International, 1919-1943
Documents · Volume 3', but I've not been able to access a copy. So, either it was so wide-spread no-one had recorded the actual quote (especially since it was mentioned to be unofficial internal soundbites, and not an actual public one), or I guess that can be taken with a grain of salt!

Good on you for following up. Learned something today.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If a fertilized egg is a baby you have to outlaw the pill because it keeps fertilized eggs from sticking to the uterine wall.

If you have outlawed the pill and a woman isn't getting pregnant, well that's suspicious and now the state needs to search her house and make sure she isn't taking the pill, and check her search history to make sure she didn't get an illegal abortion.

I believe Plan B prevents implantation but the pill prevents fertilization altogether or discourages the body from releasing an egg.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

nice

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

little known fact but mid century modern furniture and the m1 abrams are both ultimately derived from the stylistic choices of the t44.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

sugar free jazz posted:

its people who love the power and grace of tanks as a machine and recognize the sleek, curvaceous, seductive designs as the modern marvels that they are

Yeah, septic tanks

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

That Commander shirt unironically owns.

What's that thing in the bottom right?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Commander Bitin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol that Reagan quote. Weird because I've noticed that everyone against abortion has a loving dick and balls