Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Stop Code: HAMMERTIME, presumably.

It's almost always either the graphics driver of "Anti" virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Umbreon posted:

What's the STOP code for that BSOD?
"System thread exception not handled" on Wdf0100.sys

Looking this up has not been helpful, hard crashed five times at the exact point the ignition process finished, twice after doing the generic recommended steps I found (plus uninstalling, reinstalling, and starting a new save, and turning DLSS off and other video settings down)

stringless fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 22, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's a driver issue. Complete stab in the dark: Audio driver blowing up.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, I was going to guess sound as well, and I'd wondered if disabling/un selecting the audio device in Windows would be a good test.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Here's a big gameplay tip for those playing Pacific drive:

the radio is on the ceiling next to the rear view mirror. You can turn it on and listen to tunes

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I mean, yeah, probably, I've got way too many audio devices plugged in. But this has never been an issue before whatever audio file is breaking it now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am sold, I think, after watching Jacksepticeye play the opening of Pacific Drive. Between that and Voices of the Void I'm having a spooktactular February.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Nightingale devs are gonna walk back the online only thing it seems.
Very good call imo.

quote:

We’ve seen a lot of discussion in recent days around our decision to make Nightingale online-only at our Early Access release. We understand that this can be frustrating for a number of reasons.

Our vision for the game since inception was to create an interconnected series of Realms, with the idea of allowing for co-operative exploration in mind - a universe bigger than a single Realm or server. That meant we made a choice early in development between supporting co-op from day one or focusing development on an offline mode.

Co-operative gameplay associated with having party members across multiple Realms was the more technically challenging problem and therefore the one we chose to tackle first. Looking back on that decision, we misjudged what some of you were looking for in your experience.

We are now prioritizing and developing an offline mode that we plan to release as soon as feasible. Keep an eye on our social channels and Discord for updates in the coming weeks alongside other things we're working on. Thank you to everyone who has stepped into the Realms with us so far - the journey has just begun and we look forward to sharing it with you all.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's so loving stupid too because the way they talk about it is meant to bring to mind this idea of everyone's world being connected somehow, but it's really not, at all. You have to open up for multiplayer and there's friend invitations and the like, same as any game. All the world's are generated and instanced and treating it like some big multiverse everyone is traipsing through together is the most obvious lie, aimed at people who don't understand videogames.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
My tiny tip for anyone playing Pacific Drive, with a bad sense of direction at night.

If you're outside your car, there will be a small distance and direction indicator in the very top left. If I you fail to notice this I you may feel stupid after spending minutes lost in the dark looking for your car... in the wrong direction.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are the worlds in Nightingale random or handmade?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

LordSloth posted:

My tiny tip for anyone playing Pacific Drive, with a bad sense of direction at night.

If you're outside your car, there will be a small distance and direction indicator in the very top left. If I you fail to notice this I you may feel stupid after spending minutes lost in the dark looking for your car... in the wrong direction.
Honestly the game is full to overflowing with really cool quality of life decisions and good gamesense, like a respawning junk car at the home base so you never completely run out of materials, or the way they breadcrumb upgrades for you.

Inzombiac posted:

Are the worlds in Nightingale random or handmade?
Random, but dotted with handmade (slightly randomized) points of interest as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like Pacific Drive is going to be one of the Neebs Gaming series where Appsro plays while Neebs is a voice on the radio, like their all time fantastic Subnautica series.

I'll probably pick it up when my tax return comes in.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Vib Rib posted:

I think the ideal system would be to have a base-wide "sort" button. Or some sort of bird's eye GUI overview of the base with the chests highlighted and you can click and move items between them without physically running around?

No wait, the ideal system is just a single central inventory for the entire base and building chests just expands it, but all chests access the same huge sortable central inventory.
...but also you can manually tag any specific chests as not part of that in case you want to use them the old fashioned way.
A single inventory would be ideal if it has craft from storage, otherwise a lot of yelling would ensue looking for the +3 sheep nipples or whatever it is you need to craft your magic hammer. Even in Palworld I have "personal" chests where I put armor, weapons, and sellables so I can easily find them later.

Speaking of, something I hope PW gets eventually is some kind of recycling station where you can break down old stuff and get the mats back. This is another QoL feature lacking in a lot of games and it's baffling. I've already done the grinding to get to the next tier, let me get those sheep nipples back, please!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

30.5 Days posted:

Here's a big gameplay tip for those playing Pacific drive:

the radio is on the ceiling next to the rear view mirror. You can turn it on and listen to tunes

I found this on my own, but it took me a long time. Also I'm really enjoying Pacific Drive so far, it's very well made and I'm itching for more upgrades to my rolling shitbox. Also a really nice amount of accessibility and difficulty options which I greatly appreciate in a solo survival thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Every single run in Pacific drive is so tense and draining and I need to turn the game off when I get back. Then 45 minutes later I'm starting it back up

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

30.5 Days posted:

Every single run in Pacific drive is so tense and draining and I need to turn the game off when I get back. Then 45 minutes later I'm starting it back up

My Summer Tarkov

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

My Summer Tarkov

You're not wrong!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Excluding the car, Pacific Drive has my favorite inanimate NPC the friendly dumpster

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Synthbuttrange posted:

I think I'm over survival games.

I want thriving games.

:same:
Let me know if you find any.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My only complaint so far is that I’ve found a few things mildly unintuitive with an Xbox controller but that’s a one time thing and I’m getting far more used to it. Also I spent the first mission methodically disassembling every single thing because it opens with telling you, basically, there’s no time limit. New players beware: while this did give me a whole shitload of basic resources which gave me a quick jump in some car upgrades, it made me think the game was going to be a boring slog which it is not once you have some pressure.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

LordSloth posted:

Excluding the car, Pacific Drive has my favorite inanimate NPC the friendly dumpster

So far I am not feeling chemistry with all of the folks on the radio, but this is absolutely true.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

In Pacific Drive if you are dumb like me and manage to get your car stuck on something, remember that you have a kick button.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
You can also kick doors that will inexplicably not stay closed.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

My only complaint so far is that I’ve found a few things mildly unintuitive with an Xbox controller but that’s a one time thing and I’m getting far more used to it. Also I spent the first mission methodically disassembling every single thing because it opens with telling you, basically, there’s no time limit. New players beware: while this did give me a whole shitload of basic resources which gave me a quick jump in some car upgrades, it made me think the game was going to be a boring slog which it is not once you have some pressure.

I plan on playing with an Xbox controller, what problems did you have?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Google Butt posted:

I plan on playing with an Xbox controller, what problems did you have?

Honestly, most of them are before you complete the tutorial which gives you the full UI. There’s some very early instances where it doesn’t easily distinguish between quick press or hold for a button. Once you have the full UI this becomes more obvious. (I’m hiding the fact that I didn’t realize “hold RB” opens the door and “press RB” gets you in and out of the car regardless of door state, spending 5 real minutes confused as to why I couldn’t get out of my car.)

Overall my complaint is just that it’s a weird control scheme and it’s taken me a long time to get used to it. I think they wanted A/B/X to sort of be your usual running about FPS actions, so you spend a lot of time remembering that pickup/interact is either press or hold… right bumper? After about an hour and change of playing I’ve gotten the vibe for it, but if I were starting fresh I might consciously rebind several things since the amount of times I actually need “kick” feels like more of an RB action and the amount you pick stuff up feels like an X action. I didn’t rebind anything because I’m generally a poo poo gamer at things that call for a controller (faster/action/etc) so I trust the devs to have laid the controls out for me in a way that’s comfortable (and also so that I can google “how the hell do I do this action” and the buttons match up.) With this game I actually think I should have rebound stuff, it’s a weird scheme imo.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

30.5 Days posted:

You can also kick doors that will inexplicably not stay closed.

Is that a quirk

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

In Pacific Drive if you are dumb like me and manage to get your car stuck on something, remember that you have a kick button.

Also discover the ‘teleport car’ button.

Fun fact, this jalopy isn’t read to jump off of ramps.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Now if only I could stop slamming the trunk on my head.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The missions parts scare me in Pacific Drive, so I want to stay in the safe station for has long is possible, pocking at walls, finding things to break and upgrade or repair. I have unlocked a lot of technologies I don't really need.

Part of the fear is I don't really know what triggers the big kaboom that unstabilize the zone. It seems removing orbs create unstability,.... and choosing a exit is what star the degeneration process?, is a weird mechanic. Made more weird because you must move further from the extraction point so that point is available to use. The game don't want you to use a extraction point that is too easy, next to you, but to me makes no sense to run back, just so the game let me use that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There's an indicator at the bottom of the arc screen with 4 levels from safe to danger. More bad stuff will spawn at each level. I think the zone degrades over time and I think pulling anchors will degrade it and of course the zone falls apart completely when you start the exit process.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, it steadily ticks down over time and when it crosses a threshold your map system will alert you, a 'stormfront' will start moving in from a side of the map and slowly, very slowly, cover it at the first mark down from safe. Allot of the early zones and story zones however have a modifier that makes them stay stable indefinitely, at least until you hit the exit portal button.

Is there any way to skip the night when at the garage or anything? I've switched to shorter nights in the options just because it ALWAYS feels like I'm doing everything at night.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
im guessing not but is there any way to repair tools

pacific drive

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

swamp thong posted:

im guessing not but is there any way to repair tools

pacific drive

Sure seems like the idea is that you kill one and build a new one.

Somewhat related to "can I do this?" type of questions, is there anyway to repair parts other than repair putty in the garage? I feel like I should be able to be 100% before I leave without using a ton of expensive resources, but maybe not?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Naw it's putty or replace it entirely, I usually don't bother with things that are above 75%

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
There is an unlock that adds in a machine in the garage that will repair whatever you leave in it when your out on a drive.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, the ability to repair a part left at base while you’re on a trip is potentially available by your second outing. There are at least two more methods I’m aware of that are gated behind a considerable amount of progression

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Well, hello there.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I did some tinkering last night for Sons of the Forest and you can pretty easily transfer your inventory, buildings, and/or ziplines to a 1.0 save to give yourself a new game plus of your choice!

To transfer stuff, go into the save files found in username/appdata/locallow/endnight/sonsoftheforest/saves/singleplayer/ and then find the most recent save file. It'll have a name file so you can confirm its the right one, then go into the Save Data.zip and get the following files:

Player Inventory:

Playerarmourysystemsavedata.json
Playerclothingsystemsavedata.json
Playerinventorysavedata.json

Structures and Ziplines:

Constructionssavedata.json
Screwstructureinstancessavedata.json
Ziplinemanagersavedata.json

Copy those into another folder then start a new game. Save immediately and exit back to the menu. Find the new save and copy the files you want into the new save zip folder. Load back in and that's it, you'll have your old inventory and/or buildings in an otherwise fresh world! Note: If you want your shelves empty so you don't start with a stash, you'll have to remove the items from them in the old save prior to transferring it over.

I decided I'd start over fresh but take my buildings and zipline highway and it's actually pretty cool. It's kind of like my old character was killed but everything he built was left behind. The foliage even grew in around my old base so I have to clear it again, feels very much like I'm the "second wave" or something. It's a good compromise between starting fresh and going in loaded up like Rambo.

As always when messing with save data, I make no promises this won't screw something up. But their save system seems very modular so I don't think it'll mess with quests or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aw poo poo, for some reason I thought Pacific Drove was a survival roguelike. Dunno where I got that idea...