Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Basebf555 posted:

The key difference I think is color. Godzilla(2014) and King of Monsters had mostly fights that took place either in the dark, or surrounded by generic grayish rubble. Godzilla vs. Kong has the carrier fight, and then the Hong Kong fight, which are both way more visually interesting than any of the fights in the prior two films.

I also just think that Ghidorah didn't make for a very fun opponent for Godzilla. Kong is so much more dynamic and has a lot more character to him, and so they were able to put together more engaging choreography for those fights.

you're not wrong but the couple minutes of devil godzilla was the coolest he's been in the legendary series. the smirk just before he starts nuking ghidorah :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yup, and for a reason too

Oh for gently caress's sake. At least this relieves me of having to bother with an effort reply to you.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MrMojok posted:

There is some cool stuff in here:

Yeah the roar engineering was my favorite reveal of that interview. So cool!

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Basebf555 posted:

I also just think that Ghidorah didn't make for a very fun opponent for Godzilla. Kong is so much more dynamic and has a lot more character to him, and so they were able to put together more engaging choreography for those fights.

Going to agree to disagree, here. I think Kong is a really emotive and cool adversary, but Ghidorah is just a better giant monster in general, and a miles-better foe for Godzilla specifically. My main complaint with KOTM is that we didn't get more of the rad golden Cerberus dragon. In his scenes he came across as a ruthless, petty, bullying son of a bitch. It was cool to see Godzilla chokeslam him and think "Okay, do it twice more, I guess??" and then later see Ghidorah use all three of his heads to give him a receipt.

I will say that Kong fights do have a certain charm because the other monsters are treated like Dark Souls bosses. Dude just couldn't get the parries down against phase-two crocodile rush Godzilla.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 24, 2024

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think any of the previous movies did as well as Legendary wanted?

The films pre-Godzilla vs. Kong performed badly enough that Legendary was considering that the end of the franchise until it over performed, and it only over performed because it was a pandemic film.

The reason GvK was originally planned as the end of the MonsterVerse was because that marked the point of Legendary's agreement of Toho running out (four movies beginning with G'14 with an expiration of 2020). Toho decided it liked making money, however, so stuff like The New Empire and the Monarch TV series got put together.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I vastly prefer fight scenes at night in the rain with tons of atmosphere over fights in the middle of the day

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

The reason GvK was originally planned as the end of the MonsterVerse was because that marked the point of Legendary's agreement of Toho running out (four movies beginning with G'14 with an expiration of 2020). Toho decided it liked making money, however, so stuff like The New Empire and the Monarch TV series got put together.

I'm fairly sure it was the reverse and Legendary reupped the deal when GvK overperformed but otherwise were happy to end it there. I'm happy to be proven wrong though that the apprehension to continue was on Toho's part.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I legit cannot find a single bit of proof that any of that happened. It’s just talk and heresay and rumors

So who knows

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm fairly sure it was the reverse and Legendary reupped the deal when GvK overperformed but otherwise were happy to end it there. I'm happy to be proven wrong though that the apprehension to continue was on Toho's part.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

quote:

Legendary Pictures has Godzilla: King of the Monsters, directed by Michael Dougherty. slated for release next year and Godzilla vs. Kong by Adam Wingard due in 2020. Once the licensing deal with Legendary ends in 2020, Toho is planning a series of reboots set in a cinematic universe populated by monsters from its roster.

A reminder that Toho is notoriously difficult to work with, a big example being that they made Criterion's life a living hell putting together the Showa box set, to the point that a Criterion staffer said he couldn't see the companies ever working together again.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Timby posted:

A reminder that Toho is notoriously difficult to work with, a big example being that they made Criterion's life a living hell putting together the Showa box set, to the point that a Criterion staffer said he couldn't see the companies ever working together again.

Huh… I’d like to hear more about that.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My problems with KotM boil down to action scene direction and script. The fight scenes are largely blink-and-you-miss-it cutaways (with Rodan’s emergence being the one great exception) and the script devolves into quippy one-liners with cringey sexual undertones that feel really out of place and diminish everything around them. It’s going for something like an ensemble cast on the Argo but the characters are too thinly drawn for anything to really gel. For example there’s clearly a little rivalry going on between Russell and Coleman but Coleman especially gets next to no screen time or lines—we get the sense he’s kind of a wimpish nerd as compared to Russell’s rugged “I study wolves in the wild” thing, but only in the barest sense. I had to look up the names of these characters by the way which I think says something.

I will say, though, that KotM benefits greatly from a rewatch when you know already what’s going on. I remember having a seriously tough time in the theater of maintaining a grasp on the headlong, breathless series of events and set pieces. The globetrotting on a mobile base is a neat idea but suffered for lack of focus and pacing. The impact of Graham’s death was completely lost in the movie’s insistence on maintaining its unrelenting momentum to get on to the next thing. What a rewatch also cemented for me was the misuse of Bear McCreary’s work. I’m a big fan of that soundtrack overall but there are some scenes where it is absolutely overshadowing the human element, specifically in the third act of the film where we finally get some character interaction on the Argo leading up to Suzuhara’s sacrifice— I felt myself wanting the music to get the hell out of the way for a minute and let the dialogue breathe.

And now I’m only just remembering the oxygen destroyer element. For me it’s just an overstuffed film at the end of the day.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 24, 2024

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Ben Nerevarine posted:

What a rewatch also cemented for me was the misuse of Bear McCreary’s work. I’m a big fan of that soundtrack overall but there are some scenes where it is absolutely overshadowing the human element, specifically in the third act of the film where we finally get some character interaction on the Argo leading up to Suzuhara’s sacrifice— I felt myself wanting the music to get the hell out of the way for a minute and let the dialogue breathe.

I am the old man yelling at the cloud here but I'd rather have a soundtrack full of kickass themes that hit hard in a film's best moments than scores solely dedicated to ambience like G'14 (Which is still pretty good) or, uh, whatever GvK did.

And honestly, as much as I like to defend KOTM. There's no saving that dialogue. BWEEERRRRR away, Mr. McCreary. I am not interested in the opinions of His Most Honourably Divorced Mr. Alpha Wolf.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 24, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

KOM was fine from the point of all the kaiju stuff but I honestly could not stand a single person in the movie. From the rear end in a top hat dad who was spouting things that have been proven wrong for years and years about "alphas" etc, to his wife who killed probably hundreds of thousands of people from her nonsensical actions, to the 'wacky scientist'. Just utter loving garbage.

But it also had the best Rodan ever committed to film, a great Ghidorah, Godzilla going meltdown, etc.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

KOM was fine from the point of all the kaiju stuff but I honestly could not stand a single person in the movie. From the rear end in a top hat dad who was spouting things that have been proven wrong for years and years about "alphas" etc, to his wife who killed probably hundreds of thousands of people from her nonsensical actions, to the 'wacky scientist'. Just utter loving garbage.

But it also had the best Rodan ever committed to film, a great Ghidorah, Godzilla going meltdown, etc.

This is my exact opinion on the movie except I'm also headbanging to the end credits and proposing to the girl I love during the Mothra waterfall scene (She said no).

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Desumaytah posted:

This is my exact opinion on the movie except I'm also headbanging to the end credits and proposing to the girl I love during the Mothra waterfall scene (She said no).

lol dude,

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

was she at least also a big Mothra fan?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

Godzilla vs. Kong has the carrier fight, and then the Hong Kong fight, which are both way more visually interesting than any of the fights in the prior two films.

The carrier fight is the dumbest thing in all 3 movies, bar none.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The actually character I liked was the evil terrorist for who got everything he wanted in like the first 20 minutes and spent the rest of the movie relaxing in a bunker.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Stegosnaurlax posted:

The carrier fight is the dumbest thing in all 3 movies, bar none.

It's very dumb but it is also great because of how utterly, entirely hosed Kong is throughout.

"Cool I'll wake up in chains and fight essentially the owner of all the seas, who is bigger and stronger than me, while I try to climb out of my my drug-hole on my floating, exploding bed, which is also in the middle of the ocean. Also he can shoot lasers from his mouth and I can't breathe underwater."

It's so incredibly unfair that it becomes funny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Desumaytah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocrvp-ujm-Y

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Desumaytah posted:

It's so incredibly unfair that it becomes funny.

And it's so dumb it's awesome. Who doesn't love a good Evangelion tribute anyway?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
It’s still criminal that Charles Dance wasn’t playing the bitter endpoint of Tom Hiddleston’s character from Skull Island.

Anyway where does this rank in the Monsterverse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhkBAKV1yMg

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

It’s still criminal that Charles Dance wasn’t playing the bitter endpoint of Tom Hiddleston’s character from Skull Island.

Anyway where does this rank in the Monsterverse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhkBAKV1yMg

gently caress me, it ranks 0 but the 0 is also a noose

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
KOTM had the best soundtrack but the worst treatment since it gets absolutely buried under soundeffects half the time.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

DeafNote posted:

KOTM had the best soundtrack but the worst treatment since it gets absolutely buried under soundeffects half the time.

Given the incredible trailer, excellent creature designs, and banging score, it’s kind of shocking how inept the actual movie is

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

The Clair de Lune trailer for KotM was legitimately one of the best I've ever seen. It's seriously so good. As much as I, personally, like the film, I know deep down it doesn't live up to that.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Desumaytah posted:

The Clair de Lune trailer for KotM was legitimately one of the best I've ever seen. It's seriously so good. As much as I, personally, like the film, I know deep down it doesn't live up to that.

I think the one scene that gets to that level from the early trailers is Serizawa's final moment with Godzilla.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KOTM was really good in imax.

I’ll say half my love for KOTM comes from how stressful it was getting to see it and after a long day of bS and even having to get a new car, sitting down in the theater to watch Godzilla was just very sublime

Also trick r treat is my favorite so I’m biased and want to defend lol

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
King of the Monsters is 10-15 minutes of some of the best monster stuff the franchise has to offer and 1h40m of stuff I need hard liquor to sit through.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

HannibalBarca posted:

King of the Monsters is 10-15 minutes of some of the best monster stuff the franchise has to offer and 1h40m of stuff I need hard liquor to sit through.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

FooF posted:

True, but people love superheroes and that whole genre was run into the ground due to poor storytelling. Minus One had legs not just because Godzilla was in it but he was used properly. There was an actual story there.

My wife LOVED Minus One. She calls it a "K-drama, but with a dinosaur".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah the human element of Minus One was really well done.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Heads up: Vudu got the whole Criterion Showa era films set (minus King Kong vs Godzilla) on the service today, and they have a sale going for the set bundle, so you can buy all of the films there digitally for only $100. (They also have a number of the Millennium films on sale, too, but I'd already purchased those, so I can't tell you what they're priced at.)

If you prefer physical media, Criterion is doing a 24 hour flash sale of up to 50% off, so you could also get the full Showa era Blu-ray set (if you didn't get that yet) for about $115 today only.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Criterion blu-ray set is incredibly worth it. And having physical copies is incredibly important since it's been proven that digital copies are not actually your property according to rights holders.

Meanwhile if you are completely nuts like me you can get the newer 4k UHD of some of the Godzilla movies from Amazon UK for around $40 each shipped to the USA. Downside: no subtitles. Upside: they are loving GORGEOUS.

edit: 4K 1954 Godzilla UHD

Mothra vs. Godzilla 4k UHD

Godzilla Vs. Hedorah 4k UHD

Godzilla vs. Biolante 4k UHD

Invasion of the Astro-Monster 4k UHD

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster 4k UHD

Destroy All Monsters 4k UHD

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 28, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What are the odds of at least the Heiseis getting US upgrades? Sony still has the rights to everything except Biollante right?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

teagone posted:

Yeah the human element of Minus One was really well done.

It was some of the best, the characters ended up having good interplay and the smaller focus worked drat well. And, honestly, even after a couple of rewatches I think that 2014's human plot worked perfectly for that film as well even though the scope is bigger.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What are the odds of at least the Heiseis getting US upgrades? Sony still has the rights to everything except Biollante right?

No one really knows tbh.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

No one really knows tbh.

I'm semi-surprised that Criterion hasn't put the original, maybe also with "King of the Monsters" as a special feature, out on a 4K disc as it slowly goes back in and remasters some of its library; I would have figured after the buzz around "Minus One" that it would have been a no-brainer to do that. They still could, but they haven't announced anything yet and I have no idea if they will even try, considering what people were saying about the issues with the box set that they put together.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I just need a heads up if the Heisei films start getting re-released so I can offload Biollante before the price plummets. It's amazing how expensive some of those discs have gotten on eBay when you consider that Walmart had them for ~$15 for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

i gotta figure out a way to buy this

hes a little freaking gremlin and i love it