Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I'm coming back from a knee sprain and right now I'm only rolling with super good partners or flow rolling with medium to good people. Miss me with that white belt magic for a few more weeks. People are way too blasé about training with injuries imho and pawn the responsibility off on the other person. There was a guy in this week trying to train with a bad rib injury. My guy, there is almost nothing your partner can do that isn't going to strain your rib area. He got reinjured in the second round, so I guess he did better than I thought he would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Ive been watching my daughters wrestling practices for a while now and I'm surprised how little is taught about protecting yourself from falls. No breakfalls, even tucking the chin. And because of this I saw quite a few neck injuries (like 3 including of my daughters teammates that was out for the season) during my time watching the tournaments, dual meets, etc. Is this lack of protection a thing in wrestling???

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Ive been watching my daughters wrestling practices for a while now and I'm surprised how little is taught about protecting yourself from falls. No breakfalls, even tucking the chin. And because of this I saw quite a few neck injuries (like 3 including of my daughters teammates that was out for the season) during my time watching the tournaments, dual meets, etc. Is this lack of protection a thing in wrestling???

The one time my gym had a dedicated wrestling coach he almost never went through any of that sort of safety stuff even with total newbies. Pretty much the only thing he ever mentioned was to not post with an arm as you're going down.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
that's not good

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Hellblazer187 posted:

Despite practicing breakfalls probably thousands of times, I posted to catch myself twice when we were drilling double legs. I realized right as it happened and thought to myself "whoops, well I'm glad I didn't hurt my shoulder or elbow, I know posting like that caries an injury risk!"

Then I woke up this morning, and my shoulder is mad at me. Not too bad, I've hurt worse, but I'm very frustrated about that instinct. I guess I gotta drill Ukemi more. I've got thick puzzle mats, I could be doing basic falls every day and zempo kaiten rolling breakfalls before BJJ class since I always get there early.

I feel like it will never be fully ingrained if I'm not practicing it regularly. I've felt that way for a while, and it's weird to me when people say "I'm glad I took a few judo classes as a kid and learned to fall, it would come in handy if I ever slip on ice." The confidence that proper breakfall technique will be there for you when you need it seems like it could be misplaced. I dunno.

Once I had my kid and wasn't hitting judo classes regularly anymore, the first thing I would do when I went back for a randori night was grab someone I trust have them hit me with some big throws just to get rid of the butterflies.

I liken it to riding a rollercoaster, when you first go over that hill you're body will freak out on you no matter what, but if you just stayed strapped in and looped the coaster over and over by the 5th-6th time you'd be pretty numb to it.

Break falling is the same way, a huge component is just being able to relax so you can override your normal reflexes and execute the technique.

Cru Jones fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 24, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cru Jones posted:

Once I had my kid and wasn't hitting judo classes regularly anymore, the first thing I would do when I went back for a randori night was grab someone I trust have them hit me with some big throws just to get rid of the butterflies.

Break falling is the same way, a huge component is just being able to relax so you can override your normal reflexes and execute the technique.

I’ve had trouble with doing big throws slowly. When done at normal speed, my reaction time is such that I’m tucking and tensing just before impact and slapping out on cue. Doesn’t necessarily fully defray a hard throw, but best case.

If the throw goes at 70% speed, I find that I can’t intentionally slow down the timing of my breakfall and usually end up early, losing full tuck/tension ahead of impact.

When you go right into the big throws, do you do them full speed and expect your ideal reflexes to kick in? Relaxing seems a little risky to me, at least how stuff that’s high amplitude.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

What do people do for stress management in the lead up for comps? I've signed up for a comp in April and it's gonna be my first one in over a year, first one since getting my blue belt and my first one since coming back from surgery. I never won a fight in competition at white belt (although my BJJ progress definitely accelerated massively after each one) and every comp I started getting nerves earlier and earlier before comp day. Before my last comp I was having trouble sleeping a week out! Once I'm actually on the mats I'm usually pretty fine but all the time in the lead up to that is a massive emotional roller coaster.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

kimbo305 posted:

I’ve had trouble with doing big throws slowly. When done at normal speed, my reaction time is such that I’m tucking and tensing just before impact and slapping out on cue. Doesn’t necessarily fully defray a hard throw, but best case.

If the throw goes at 70% speed, I find that I can’t intentionally slow down the timing of my breakfall and usually end up early, losing full tuck/tension ahead of impact.

When you go right into the big throws, do you do them full speed and expect your ideal reflexes to kick in? Relaxing seems a little risky to me, at least how stuff that’s high amplitude.

I'd say that's pretty common. That's why I mentioned grabbing someone I trust. Smoothness is more important than speed, timing it is not a problem going slower, as long as they don't start and stop or get all jerky on me.

But again, I started doing judo in 2003, I did some rough math like the poster above and between breakfall practice for warmups and actual classes/etc I'm probably over 100k falls, so it's ingrained I just need to get my brain out of the way to let it happen.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

whats for dinner posted:

What do people do for stress management in the lead up for comps? I've signed up for a comp in April and it's gonna be my first one in over a year, first one since getting my blue belt and my first one since coming back from surgery. I never won a fight in competition at white belt (although my BJJ progress definitely accelerated massively after each one) and every comp I started getting nerves earlier and earlier before comp day. Before my last comp I was having trouble sleeping a week out! Once I'm actually on the mats I'm usually pretty fine but all the time in the lead up to that is a massive emotional roller coaster.

What is the prize for first place if you take this whole thing down?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Legit Businessman posted:

What is the prize for first place if you take this whole thing down?

a medal lol

it's so stupid! worst case scenario I find out about a bunch of stuff I need to learn to work on and get going at getting better

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I sometimes feel like I'm not progressing or just not good at judo, but the guy I was sparring with in vovinam today didn't know I also do judo and kept trying to grapple with me and hoo boy did he regret it every time.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I sometimes feel like I'm not progressing or just not good at judo, but the guy I was sparring with in vovinam today didn't know I also do judo and kept trying to grapple with me and hoo boy did he regret it every time.

lol nice. sometimes we'll get some folks with a judo background come in and not mention it until I try to wrestle up and they take me for a ride

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

whats for dinner posted:

a medal lol

it's so stupid! worst case scenario I find out about a bunch of stuff I need to learn to work on and get going at getting better

Acknowledging that it's an irrational anexity is the first step.

I'm gonna ask you to carry around a brick for the time being...

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

whats for dinner posted:

What do people do for stress management in the lead up for comps?

We give two advices to our students who are going to competitions. First one is: Don't stress. The second advice is that you just need to participate in competitions more often, so that it becomes a routine and then you don't stress anymore.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

do lots of light playful sparring, including light playful standup.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Acknowledging that it's an irrational anexity is the first step.

I'm gonna ask you to carry around a brick for the time being...

is this the set up for a "harden up" joke? :v:

Pyle posted:

We give two advices to our students who are going to competitions. First one is: Don't stress. The second advice is that you just need to participate in competitions more often, so that it becomes a routine and then you don't stress anymore.

hopefully exposure does it!

CommonShore posted:

do lots of light playful sparring, including light playful standup.

more playful standup would be good, I'll have to ask some of my regular training partners. I'm also going to an open mat at a way bigger gym one of my coaches teaches at which I'm hoping will help me overcome some of the nerves at least.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

whats for dinner posted:

is this the set up for a "harden up" joke? :v:

hopefully exposure does it!

more playful standup would be good, I'll have to ask some of my regular training partners. I'm also going to an open mat at a way bigger gym one of my coaches teaches at which I'm hoping will help me overcome some of the nerves at least.

This is the famous GSP story.

"After my first fight with Matt Serra, I was training with one thing in mind: get my revenge. It was the only thing I had in mind. I was not focusing on the guy I was going to fight; I was focusing on getting my revenge against Matt Serra. I was working with a sports psychologist and he said, 'You haven’t released your brick.' That’s what he told me. And it was true. I didn’t accept the fact that I had lost. I just wanted to jump in the ring and get my revenge, when in reality I had two fights to go before getting to Matt Serra.

"So, [the psychologist] says to me, 'You haven’t released your brick.' He made me grab a brick and he said, 'Carry a brick for one day and it’s not so bad. At first it’s not heavy. But if you carry it on your back every day, every single minute of your life, it’s going to get heavy. So you better get rid of it and look for what’s important to you.'

"He made me get a brick and I wrote 'Matt Serra' on it, and he said, 'When you are ready to release that brick and look to the future, you’re going to take this brick and throw it into the river.' It sounds stupid but that’s what I did. I think it helped me to release a lot of the negative energy that I had. Instead of focusing, I kept my eyes off of the goal. So now I’m focused again on the goal. I think this helped me a lot."

I also read (or hallucinated) that the psych thought that GSP would carry this brick around for a day, realize how exhausting it would be, and learn the lesson. He carried it for like a week (or longer!), 24/7 before realizing, "I should get rid of this goddamn brick."

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

GSP is definitely the sort of guy to go all-out in brick carrying.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

whats for dinner posted:

It's totally normal and natural to have nerves before a competition. In fact I would even say it's the sign of a healthy and normal psyche. Even Olympic gold medal winning judoka and wrestlers have spoken at length about tournament stress and match nerves. I personally do my worst in the first round of every tournament I have entered.

The best way to handle it is with solid preparation, including preparing for the fact that you know you WILL have a massive adrenaline dump in your first match that will leave you gassed much faster than you otherwise normally would. Know that you're gonna tighten up, and tighten up your gameplan with regards to your training. If your body is freaking out, at least try and stay focused on your techniques and jiu jitsu.

Make sure you're working good and hard in your practices leading up. It's not like you're competing for a major/international title so there's no need to worry about tapering or anything like that, you just need experience. I would also personally suggest you don't worry about cutting weight at this level so eat well and take care of all the little things in your life.

On the actual day of the comp, my main practical advice is to get in a very tough warmup before your first fight. Try to time it ~30 minutes before your first fight and work yourself up to a real sweat. Try and keep it there for a solid 5 minutes or so before doing some cool down exercises. Light rolling, takedown reps, jogging/jump rope, sprints, jumping jacks whatever. Just make sure that your first match is not your first serious physical exertion of the day. I like do do these warmups with a hoodie under my gi to get myself warm and keep me there.

Hydrate well also, and get plenty of electrolytes, you will burn them faster than normal and being dehydrated will make your stress/anxiety worse.

Edit: Nugget of advice I forgot where I heard it - you can't control outcomes so just focus on developing good habits and practices.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 28, 2024

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

okay that story rules. maybe I need to get a brick and write "becoming shonanzakura" on it

wedgie deliverer posted:

[ a bunch of really excellent advice ]

this is all really great, thank you! the bit about the really tough warmup makes heaps of sense and I'm absolutely going to give it a try. it lines up with all my experience to date so far, too.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

"After my first fight with Matt Serra, I was training with one thing in mind: get my revenge. It was the only thing I had in mind. I was not focusing on the guy I was going to fight; I was focusing on getting my revenge against Matt Serra. I was working with a sports psychologist and he said, 'You haven’t released your brick.' That’s what he told me. And it was true. I didn’t accept the fact that I had lost. I just wanted to jump in the ring and get my revenge, when in reality I had two fights to go before getting to Matt Serra.

"So, [the psychologist] says to me, 'You haven’t released your brick.' He made me grab a brick and he said, 'Carry a brick for one day and it’s not so bad. At first it’s not heavy. But if you carry it on your back every day, every single minute of your life, it’s going to get heavy. So you better get rid of it and look for what’s important to you.'

"He made me get a brick and I wrote 'Matt Serra' on it, and he said, 'When you are ready to release that brick and look to the future, you’re going to take this brick and throw it into the river.' It sounds stupid but that’s what I did. I think it helped me to release a lot of the negative energy that I had. Instead of focusing, I kept my eyes off of the goal. So now I’m focused again on the goal. I think this helped me a lot."

I also read (or hallucinated) that the psych thought that GSP would carry this brick around for a day, realize how exhausting it would be, and learn the lesson. He carried it for like a week (or longer!), 24/7 before realizing, "I should get rid of this goddamn brick."

Thats a great story and applies to many things in life.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I did my first tournament after a ~14 year break today. Been back in BJJ for about 1.5 years. Nogi, 5min matches, sub only (or judge's decision if no sub). My teammate who was kind enough to help me warm up warmed me up a bit too much :D Wrestled with him for like 30 minutes and was totally sweating / heart beating before the first match. I'm 35, opponent was a 21yo amateur MMA fighter with a 3-4 record. Wrestled a bit, got taken down, reversed and came up on top, got reversed, ended up in bottom closed guard, eventually he took my back and RNC-d me out. Only thing I'm disappointed in is that I didn't get to do more than 1 match. And at one point in the closed guard I had a guillotine hold on him, should've opened my legs up and tried to come up on top. I was super nervous a few days before the competition but felt completely chilled out today.

lovely tuna snatch fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 2, 2024

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

lovely tuna snatch posted:

I did my first tournament after a ~14 year break today. Been back in BJJ for about 1.5 years. Nogi, 5min matches, sub only (or judge's decision if no sub). My teammate who was kind enough to help me warm up warmed me up a bit too much :D Wrestled with him for like 30 minutes and was totally sweating / heart beating before the first match. I'm 35, opponent was a 21yo amateur MMA fighter with a 3-4 record. Wrestled a bit, got taken down, reversed and came up on top, got reversed, ended up in bottom closed guard, eventually he took my back and RNC-d me out. Only thing I'm disappointed in is that I didn't get to do more than 1 match. And at one point in the closed guard I had a guillotine hold on him, should've opened my legs up and tried to come up on top. I was super nervous a few days before the competition but felt completely chilled out today.

Nice work!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

lovely tuna snatch posted:

:nice:

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Did my first tournament at brown belt today. Round-robin format with a bonus for submission finishes, went 1-2 but got the only submission in the bracket, so I came in 2nd overall. Brown belt is interesting 'cause everyone has a solid game plan and no glaring weaknesses, so winning is mostly a matter of who can grind out their A-game a little better than the other guy. Masters brown belt is also funny because everyone is just happy to have someone else in their bracket, lol

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

duckdealer posted:

Nice work!

Same, congrats to all competitors. I also think that a 1 match minimum sucks considrring grappling tournament entries are usually expensive.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm doing my first judo competition in about a decade today. Here's to coming out of retirement baby.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Good luck!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Lost to a junior international competitor as time expired. All things considered I fought really well for a 33 year old pothead/vaper trying to turn back the clock. Happy with my performance and I think I've finally found the motivation to kick the vape.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Some more anecdotes from yesterday, a couple wholesome and a couple hilarious:

One of my teammates was feeling pretty down on herself after a narrow loss in the morning and I was able to cheer her up and get her head back in the game; she lost to the same girl in no-gi later that afternoon but was all smiles anyway. I'm normally not very good at that sort of pep talk, so that was a nice little win.

One of my white belt teammates absolutely *crushed* his division; 5-0, all submissions. I've been telling him lately that his closed guard is getting dangerous enough that I need to defend his attacks with 100% seriousness if I let him play there, and since I have 30 pounds and 7 years of experience on him, he's gonna wreck other white belts from there, and what d'ya know! Super cool guy, too; exactly the sort of coachable/consistent/focused student that makes for a great training partner. You love to see that kind of work pay off.

So the tournament took place at the Arnold Sports Festival, and one of my black belt teammates looked up in the middle of his match to find that his opponent's previously empty coach's chair was occupied by... the Terminator himself, who hopped in to coach his opponent, lol

One especially tough teammate wound up panic tapping to a BS choke... because he realized the other guy had just shat himself and wanted to GTFO as quickly as possible before he got any closer. :barf: The guy shoulda been DQed and even apologized for it afterward, but the ref didn't realize until after the match was over, unfortunately. It cost him the gold medal, but I told him that it's better he got that #2 than the other one. :dumbrim:

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Nestharken posted:

It cost him the gold medal, but I told him that it's better he got that #2 than the other one. :dumbrim:

lol

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Feel like if the dude admitted to a foul before the match ended the ref could have reversed the decision. "I won because I shitted on you. I'm sorry. But I'm not giving you this gold medal I won for making GBS threads on you, illegally."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone please reality check top turtle for me.

Last night, our rolling time was all positional drilling, attacking or defending turtle - person on top wants to submit the opponent or force them into a bottom position, while the person in turtle could only stay where they were or resist, but couldn't leave turtle.

When I was on top, I'd get a back of the collar and belt grip and just alternate between lifting people up and forward to open space near their ribs to step in, or pull them up and backwards to place them on their back. They couldn't resist the lifting action, and if they started moving too much I always had that highly dominant grip on the back of the collar. It was suspiciously effective? Like, literally, I'm suspicious of how well it worked.

What's the correct response to what I was doing? The only thing I can personally think of is either standing up or turning your turtle until the person is in front of you instead of behind you?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 8, 2024

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Turtle is a guard, if you just sit there youre going to get passed. The guy on bottom needs to be working duck unders, singles , doubles, sit outs, or return to standing. if he just sits there youll win every single time.

Edit: went to a seminar taught by a silver medalist judo player from cuba. Dude was super slick with his throws, but as per usual I didnt learn anything, except he taught me how to tie my belt properly.

I didnt mind because he pulled me out of the warm up to do it, and as a purple belt in bjj theres nothing I hate more than warm ups.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 8, 2024

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Turtle is just a bad place to be unless you're super tight and only doing it to dissuade someone from wasting energy while you wait for the judo ref to stand you up.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Turtle is just a bad place to be unless you're super tight and only doing it to dissuade someone from wasting energy while you wait for the judo ref to stand you up.

This is one of those things that judo doesnt translate to combat sports. Being super tight in turtle is how you get wrecked and only exists because very quickly a ref will stand your rear end up. In combat sports you need to be mobile and active so you can build back up to standing or get a reversal. All and all turtles not bad, if I where to list a hierarchy of bottom positions id put turtle even with half guard, not a great place to be, but not the worst.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This was a BJJ class, but we teach "going to turtle" as a legitimate bail out strategy of last resort if, say, your guard is being passed. But of course you're supposed to immediately create a scramble and/or stand up, not enter the newaza fuhrer bunker.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

yeah I treat turtle like a checkpoint position where I know I've got a tempo or two to check what they're going for, maybe try and shift weight around a little and then make my move. I think if I had to stay in turtle there I'd be looking to push sideways into you, or away just to try and force you to put effort in a direction you don't want to yeet me.

Jack B Nimble posted:

enter the newaza fuhrer bunker.

been laughing like an idiot at this for like five minutes

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
New thread title imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Now that I've had time to rest and recuperate and mull some stuff over, I'm gonna post a seminar review.

Israel Hernandez, 2x Bronze Medalist from Cuba and some amount of gold and silver medal for various other judo tournaments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oqtq5GIL8o So this dude came down for like three days, it was a pretty cheap seminar. 30$ per session, Members got in free and it was during my normal judo time so I figured why not. First off I was surprised so many dudes came down. Usually that class is very small as it's a noon class, five dudes at most, but we had our normal five dudes, a bunch of rando black belts come out of the woodwork, and even a few BJJ dudes who threw on some white belts from schools around the area. We did "The Standard Warmup" which is basically just jogging and Ukemi. I usually run with my belt around my neck, because...it's just a thing I do? Israel pulled me aside and politely instructed me on how to tie my belt, for which I will be forever grateful and will take the pro tip with me to my grave, as it allowed me to skip half of the jogging laps. The running theme of the seminar was movement tech, so he showed stuff about if you're circling or going parallel you should get ahead of your opponent instead of mirroring their movement speed, and practicing certain movement patterns. He didn't really talk about throws at all, beyond "hey we're gonna do this pattern and then you're gonna end with Okuri Ashi or Harai or whatever." The few throw demonstrations where sick, like I've never seen demonstration throws look so effortless and slick especially since his uke was just any random upper belt who was hanging around rather than him having a traveling uke who knew what was going to happen and was prepped for whatever. So we went for an hour and a half, the final five minutes was a five minute set of 30 second rounds where you paired off fought for a dominant grip and reset and to finish you threw your partner three times as quick as possible.

Over all he was a chill dude with lots of good things to say and kinda funny, and if you're unlike me and actually get things out of seminars rather than believing they are a waste of time, then you should definitely go see this dude.

My favorite quote of the day "I'm a native spainish speaker from cuba, who doesn't speak english very well, and also has to speak some Japanese, so please if you don't understand, ask questions."

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 9, 2024