Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Green Intern posted:

Also, no thoughts about plumbing?
To the people who sit around dreaming this poo poo up, poo poo like plumbing and electrical wiring/Ethernet cord and duct work and all that Just Happens. You put the building together, and it just appears on its own; they've never had to coordinate the plumbers and electricians and HVAC teams to put stuff in as a new building is going up, never seen it happen, never even thought about it. You put up four walls and a roof and the outlets pop out of the walls like magic.

They're the kind of assholes whose children went on to design vehicles entirely in CAD and that's why you have to take both front wheels off to remove your car battery, is what I'm saying.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Okay. We need to talk.

This is getting an interesting reaction in the GoComics comments, because it's common knowledge now that the V-J Day photo they're referencing here was a scene between two strangers. That means in recent years people have been looking at it while asking some very pointed questions about consent and what that means in terms of what they see in what has been considered one of the most iconic photographs of the 1940s. What this strip means, on the other hand, is simpler: call the cops, lady.

Also, get a load of Ed walking past a store with a sidewalk window display of televisions, presumably with a sidewalk speaker. Something you totally see everywhere in 2024 America, and not a weird anachronism to force the joke to work.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 4, 1936)

Peanuts, in which Chuck finally snaps. (February 25, 1977)

Rip Haywire: Ka-FUGITIVE!

Li'l Abner, in which I WAS PROMISED GORILLAS, YOU MONSTER. (December 2-4, 1935)

Thimble Theater (September 27, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 20-22, 1944)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Jesus Christ Crankshaft.

IIRC the nurse in the original photograph was identified and she’s gone on record about the thing, and her take was essentially “I’ll allow it”. But yeeesh

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I approve of the idea of only having one home instead of having multiple homes that are empty most of the year. The rest, well...

THORN, March 30-April 4, 1984

Got 'im, Phoney.

Bit of a Duck Amuck reference there?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So did the witch queen’s retinue bring their own agony wheel, or did Aura provide it when she had them as guests for the coronation?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'll need one for the office, AND one for home

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Wait, wait, wait. All that loving build-up and we didn't even get one single strip of Jeremy and his friends actually, y'know, at the dance?
The dance isn't the actual point of this week's joke arc. :ssh:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Holy poo poo, that Prince Valiant sure brought the sixties back.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts, in which Chuck finally snaps. (February 25, 1977)

Ha ha, yes! Get 'em, Chuck!

Amazing. Somehow I've never seen this strip before, because I certainly would have remembered it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

A random fact I remember from a sidebar in the Daily Show book is that they were not legally allowed to use Did You Know so further sidebars used Were You Aware. That tickles me for some reason.

edit: I may have my facts muddled

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Green Intern posted:

So did the witch queen’s retinue bring their own agony wheel, or did Aura provide it when she had them as guests for the coronation?

This is Ming's house. There's probably one in every guest chamber, or more likely, each province's government probably has their own permanent set of chambers that they've been able to stock however they like.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Wait, wait, wait. All that loving build-up and we didn't even get one single strip of Jeremy and his friends actually, y'know, at the dance?

The comic has just made you sympathize with Jeremy's mother. Think on this.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Just a heads up, I'm going to be on holiday starting from the 29th so someone is going to need to cover for me until I'm back by the 18th of March.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

The comic has just made you sympathize with Jeremy's mother. Think on this.

Connie and Walt are great. I like Zits.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (July 15-19, 2005)

Oops.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Just a heads up, I'm going to be on holiday starting from the 29th so someone is going to need to cover for me until I'm back by the 18th of March.

God, I love Orange Triangles. I can't keep 'em in the house.

"Lynx Africa" is known as "Axe Kilo" on this side of the pond. I am completely unfamiliar with it, because the Axe brand was introduced Stateside just after I graduated high school. I spent four years being overwhelmed by classmates doused in relatively good colognes, I am grateful that I missed the era of kids blasting themselves with cheap stuff on a daily basis. (I still have my bottle of Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger from that era in my closet, with like a third of it left. I used it very judiciously.)

I can add Bad Machinery to my lineup in your absence.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

:lol:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 26, 1910)

Baron Bean(February 25, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(January 24, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 17, 1919)

Us Boys(February 23, 1912)

The Gumps(March 23, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 19, 1913)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Oooooooooooooooo

I assume that Josh is going to weasel out of this by calling Stuart again

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They're the kind of assholes whose children went on to design vehicles entirely in CAD and that's why you have to take both front wheels off to remove your car battery, is what I'm saying.

My brother has a story about a car like that, wish I could remember the model. Back in college someone walked into his common area and asked for help changing the battery. They figured it was just someone learning how their car worked, no shame in that, but it turned out the thing was clamped into the car in such a way that you needed someone underneath the car at the same time to remove the clamps. Third-hand and decades ago so I'm fuzzy on the details, but I think the clamp was bolted in place without seatings so it would just spin if you tried to unscrew from one end? One of those "I can see how someone got here, but they never tried to use it" problems.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Gil Thorp

It's funny that you post Luann and Gil Thorp, because this is the most Thorp a Luann strip has ever been, and I'm actually interested in Piro's story. Luann can tell a clearer narrative, but Thorp tells a more engaging story, even when that story appears to feature a high school sporting event told in 5 second scenes filmed 20 minutes apart.

Bruceski posted:

My brother has a story about a car like that, wish I could remember the model. Back in college someone walked into his common area and asked for help changing the battery. They figured it was just someone learning how their car worked, no shame in that, but it turned out the thing was clamped into the car in such a way that you needed someone underneath the car at the same time to remove the clamps. Third-hand and decades ago so I'm fuzzy on the details, but I think the clamp was bolted in place without seatings so it would just spin if you tried to unscrew from one end? One of those "I can see how someone got here, but they never tried to use it" problems.

That sounds like a luxury brand move.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
I refuse to read "The Phantom" until Blevins is removed as artist. His work is horrendous to look at, and tonally at odds with what the strip does.

Not that it looks like I'm missing anything, based on the comments.

Modesty Blaise: The Gallows Bird

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Transmodiar posted:

I refuse to read "The Phantom" until Blevins is removed as artist. His work is horrendous to look at, and tonally at odds with what the strip does.
I don't blame you. It looks to me like it's just filler stories until Manley comes back anyways.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Andertoons

loving DO SOMETHING jesus christ, whatever you're leaning to with this story loving just GET THERE ALREADY so we can all get mad about it.

Also lol that Andertoons.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

holbrook pull up. pull up.

what.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Grandmas like to cut sandwiches diagonally, I guess?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I'm not sure why moving this harp is so hard. It's even on wheels!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Hey, he used to be a pro wrestler and he still made it to 97. He's gotta be doing something right.

Antivehicular posted:

Grandmas like to cut sandwiches diagonally, I guess?

Diagonally cut sandwiches taste better and this is a scientific fact. Any good granny knows this.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 6/1/52

Archie 8/25-27/49

Looks kinda like Marmaduke's ancestor.

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 2/21-23/77

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

That's a chokeslam, not a bodyslam.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (April 2-4, 1925)

Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (April 3, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (June 19-21, 1922)

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: Traffic is completely and absolutely paralyzed in a case like this where a $2 bill blows out of the Skipper's hand and off the car.

TOMBOY TAYLOR: Tomboy Taylor took up a position on those rocks overlooking the golf course and had a wonderful afternoon with her air rifle.

Dok's Dippy Day Before Everything Changes FOREVER (February 9, 1915, and yeah, something actually does happen next time. Be patient. Also, spoilers for the Usual Reasons.)

Little Lefty (November 6-8, 1939)

In case you don't remember this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lMEYthXlQ

More Marmy clip art:

Olive & Popeye

And back to Mousetrapped

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

So you can water plants when its already raining on them but also leaves commonly found in pure rainwater gets stuck in your ears? what

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 2/21-23/77

I congratulate the artist for sneaking blurred silhouetted nudity into the American funny papers in 1977.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Powered Descent posted:

I congratulate the artist for sneaking blurred silhouetted nudity into the American funny papers in 1977.

In 1977, there were photos of bare asses & some nudes in Newsweek. We've uh, receded somewhat since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc