Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I mean, it kinda is given how vague those terms are?

E: The Berlin Interpretation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm kinda still on the fence on Pacific Drive and looking for some more inputs on it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Pacific Drive is a survival game, but instead of your survival it's more about your car's survival. So instead of food and drink, you have battery charge and fuel. It's rogue-ish, in that each run is randomly generated and if you die you lose a large portion of what you have accumulated and have to deal with fixing the very expensive damage you've done to your car. You can also change it so you lose everything in game options. Someone called it My Summer Tarkov upthread and that's pretty much the whole deal- it's more of an extraction game than a roguelike per se.

It's hard to give an opinion on Pacific Drive yet because I've been preparing for a trip into the mid-zone which I understand is where the difficulty really spikes. But the game is pretty good about giving you a vague idea of the dangers and rewards of a zone before you select it (after which it tells you everything and you're locked in- there are upgrades that let you change your mind a limited number of times after the details are revealed to you though). It won't tell you about things you haven't scanned yet, though, so the first time you encounter a particular hazard or reward you won't know anything about it going in. I think it's nice. It's very tense but there's not a lot of action- if things pop off you're generally going to regret it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's very Roadside Picnic by way of a roguelite.

It's kind of weird. I like it so far, but I feel the time pressure is more detrimental than it helps.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m coming off a lengthy BG3 run and now trying to take a break playing something else.

I wound up buying pacific drive so I’ll find out if I like that soon enough. The aesthetic and how everything interacts so far has really impressed me.

I was wondering between Nightingale and Enshrouded which of these would be the better buy? I don’t think I have the time or money to get both.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Enshrouded is very stable and fleshed out. It uses the Valheim system where you can take your character and items to other servers at will, if you like.

Haven't played Nightingale yet but Enshrouded is really drat fun.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Pacific Drive is a survival game, but instead of your survival it's more about your car's survival. So instead of food and drink, you have battery charge and fuel. It's rogue-ish, in that each run is randomly generated and if you die you lose a large portion of what you have accumulated and have to deal with fixing the very expensive damage you've done to your car. You can also change it so you lose everything in game options. Someone called it My Summer Tarkov upthread and that's pretty much the whole deal- it's more of an extraction game than a roguelike per se.

It's hard to give an opinion on Pacific Drive yet because I've been preparing for a trip into the mid-zone which I understand is where the difficulty really spikes. But the game is pretty good about giving you a vague idea of the dangers and rewards of a zone before you select it (after which it tells you everything and you're locked in- there are upgrades that let you change your mind a limited number of times after the details are revealed to you though). It won't tell you about things you haven't scanned yet, though, so the first time you encounter a particular hazard or reward you won't know anything about it going in. I think it's nice. It's very tense but there's not a lot of action- if things pop off you're generally going to regret it.
is there much to find exploring in the game either on foot or in your car besides loot, eg big buildings? From reviews it looks like it's just endless forest/swamp with a very limited number of small prefab cabins/research pods. Game does look great but a couple of reviews mention it getting quite samey, and I'm worried I'd get bored of it real quick without interesting stuff to explore.

VVV thanks, thats a shame but whatever, I'll probably give it a go anyway

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 24, 2024

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

toiletbrush posted:

is there much to find exploring in the game either on foot or in your car besides loot, eg big buildings? From reviews it looks like it's just endless forest/swamp with a very limited number of small prefab cabins/research pods. Game does look great but a couple of reviews mention it getting quite samey, and I'm worried I'd get bored of it real quick without interesting stuff to explore.

Naw everything is a loot location primarily with a couple of exceptions for structures related to the main story but those are pretty small too, and they do get reused.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Is there a way to sleep through the night when you're at your base in Pacific Drive?

Given how horrific and dangerous everything is I would simply choose to not go out at night, if given the option.

That said, being forced to deal with the darkness has been really tense and exciting. My first time I was looting a car at night, I had a flare out, which I dropped to take out my scrapper, and then I got an achievement for distracting an anomaly with a flare and I looked around in confusion to see twelve mannequins flickering in the red glow of the road flare all around me. Perfectly still and lifeless. Naturally, they had not been there when I parked my car.

I really love the atmosphere of the game. Trundling around in my car gathering resources is very satisfying, and I love that there are no real weapons. If the game had weapons I'd be expected to use them and clear an area out or whatever. There are plenty of dangers, and plenty of ways to overcome them, but open combat is not one of the solutions, and I really like that. I'm not just destroying everything (or trying to)- the best I can do is scurry around and do my own thing in this hostile environment.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
In this game you can have a roadside picnic in the Roadside Picnic

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Kraftwerk posted:

I was wondering between Nightingale and Enshrouded which of these would be the better buy? I don’t think I have the time or money to get both.

Enshrouded.
Nightingale gets very grindy by the mid game. The lack of pulling from chests is even worse than most other games as the crafting gets very convoluted.
It has plenty of potential, but I've benched it for a long while
Maybe check some reviews.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 24, 2024

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've already played a ton of Nightengale. I love the game but frankly if you don't look at it and think, 'drat I wanna play that' than one of the other more finished survival games are probably a better choice. It's gorgeous and the core loop of exploring strange worlds feels excellent. What's going to make or break the game is a.) how the devs continue to drip content, since as a proc gen game it has to potential to get very repetitive if they don't build it out some, especially where fauna are concerned and b.) how the devs add QOL improvements to the game. Crafting is... fine? But it's very complicated and the game doesn't do you any favors in streamlining it. Not pulling from chests is the biggest issue, but there's also the fact that you need to add cute decorative items to increase the effectiveness and crafting list of nearby benches; but sometimes your bench isn't good enough to craft the item even with the added decor, a fact you have to figure out on your own. You pretty much have to progress by finding vendors and purchasing recipes but what key thing you need to do in order to progress isn't always clear.

There is so much here to love - the way magic is freeform and attached to items, the way exploration has an immediate impact on character development, etc, but it's still to early to tell if the charm will rub off after a couple dozen hours.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Pacific Drive is extremely vibes-based. For what it's worth, it has a low review rating on Steam primarily because the game saves at base and any time you leave a junction, but not at-will. So if you take a long time in a single location, you'll go a long time between saves. This mostly happens early on when they keep throwing locales with no time limits at you, but realistically you should not spend that much time in any one spot because the instability storm will sweep through. I kind of wish the first few zones had a time limit or at least a faked time limit because it gives you the wrong impression of the game's pacing, much grindier than it really is. My first run I was scrapping every car I passed and eventually learned yeah, there's no need to do anything like that.
(The other reason it's getting negative reviews is that "it's woke")

30.5 Days posted:

But the game is pretty good about giving you a vague idea of the dangers and rewards of a zone before you select it (after which it tells you everything and you're locked in- there are upgrades that let you change your mind a limited number of times after the details are revealed to you though).
It's not well explained but I'm pretty sure you're never locked in. You can scan route A on the map but then when it's time to leave pick a totally different route. Scanning will reveal all the details about the location you pick and any destinations on the way to it, but you don't have to actually go to the one you scanned.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

I kind of wish the first few zones had a time limit or at least a faked time limit because it gives you the wrong impression of the game's pacing, much grindier than it really is. My first run I was scrapping every car I passed and eventually learned yeah, there's no need to do anything like that.
(The other reason it's getting negative reviews is that "it's woke")
I think it was a good call to let you scrap everything in the first few areas because that's how you learn where the good stuff is and what's valuable to scrap and what's not. If I was panicking about a time limit I'd probably skip things and maybe miss the best sources for some important stuff.

Not looking for story spoilers if there's something particular later on, but what on earth is "woke" about it? Is Washington state just inherently woke?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Eiba posted:

I think it was a good call to let you scrap everything in the first few areas because that's how you learn where the good stuff is and what's valuable to scrap and what's not. If I was panicking about a time limit I'd probably skip things and maybe miss the best sources for some important stuff.

Not looking for story spoilers if there's something particular later on, but what on earth is "woke" about it? Is Washington state just inherently woke?

Yes, but they're mad about all the pride flag decals that are autoloaded in when you get the detailing station

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Eiba posted:

Bunch of lgbtq+ cosmetics to slap on your car. Mostly the various pride flags which makes chuds really mad.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You'd think the car came with those or they were impossible to remove or something, but it's just "there's a rainbow flag in the game and I have to scroll past it"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Playing Sons of the Forest and I feel like the naked red dudes are a clear sign to the player that you need guns. I have the pistol but I need to find a shovel. So far I've only found one cave...

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Bunch of lgbtq+ cosmetics to slap on your car. Mostly the various pride flags which makes chuds really mad.

Most importantly, it has a straight ally pride flag, which is the main thing I think my sloop in sea of times was missing

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

man gently caress tourists

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

man gently caress tourists

On a whim I threw a lit road flare at a pack of them. It was extremely satisfying and I recommend you try it as soon as possible.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I watched a pack of bunnies completely destroy them for no apparent reason

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Enshrouded looks really good, probably the best looking survival game I've played, and the building offers a decent variety, but the gameplay feels repetitive even after like 8 hours, and the combat is anything but challenging. So far it didn't really do anything new, it feels like Valheim+ with even the few interesting gotchas stripped down (trees being physical objects in the world, the building implementing simple structural load etc.).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vib Rib posted:

You'd think the car came with those or they were impossible to remove or something, but it's just "there's a rainbow flag in the game and I have to scroll past it"

I am reminded of racing game 'Buck Up And Drive' which has a toggle in the options that looks like it turns off the presence of pride flags, but actually just turns every single billboard and flag into a pride flag instead.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, especially once you move to the end game areas in Enshrouded, there's not much POI or enemy variety. That's something they definitely need to improve on. You fight the same few scavengers the whole game, there could surely be some elites or something. Even the tough dual machete guys never drop anything worthwhile, I've basically stopped looting enemies at this point.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Rynoto posted:

I was so startled by this completely unexpected bit of representation in a game I instantly fell in love with that I started crying when this happened. tearfully whispering, "You're telling me a queer coded this?"

I forgot that people would be mad about it, thanks for making my day better by reminding me. It brings me immense joy to know that many people, in that moment where I was further invited into the experience, encountered a locked gate built out of their own lovely rear end in a top hat opinions. 10/10

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had a similar pleasantly surprised reaction. I didn’t know that I was gonna get to slap a bi pride decal on my sci-fi wagon. Sadly, my second reaction was also “drat some losers out there are gonna hate this.”

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ComradePyro posted:

I was so startled by this completely unexpected bit of representation in a game I instantly fell in love with that I started crying when this happened. tearfully whispering, "You're telling me a queer coded this?"

I forgot that people would be mad about it, thanks for making my day better by reminding me. It brings me immense joy to know that many people, in that moment where I was further invited into the experience, encountered a locked gate built out of their own lovely rear end in a top hat opinions. 10/10

Like, I'm a cis het guy and my reaction when I saw all the flags was "oh that's really cool"

RIP bozos who are too bigoted to enjoy a good game just because it has representation decals in it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

HopperUK posted:

I am reminded of racing game 'Buck Up And Drive' which has a toggle in the options that looks like it turns off the presence of pride flags, but actually just turns every single billboard and flag into a pride flag instead.

Lol awesome

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I went and checked the reviews on Steam for PD, and except for one guy deep in there complaining about flags, almost every single negative review was about the save system.
I feel you guys are making a bigger deal about this than it is.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 24, 2024

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Pacific Drive is pretty intense, I barely made it out of the first tutorial drive.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

If you see box trucks, make sure to hit the back of them up for loot because gently caress me I've driven by way too many before realizing they were full of sweet loot like cosmetics and peculiar parts. Gotta trick out the ride!

Broken Cog posted:

I went and checked the reviews on Steam for PD, and except for one guy deep in there complaining about flags, almost every single negative review was about the save system.

There are people genuinely struggling with the save and run system...? The heck.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Broken Cog posted:

Who is making a big deal out of it? Seems like people are just pointing out that there are people who are mad about pride flags in the game which there are.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The save system only saving between junctions is a bigger deal early on when most early missions have no time limit and you can spend a very long time in one place. I definitely had moments I wished I could step away but had to finish off the current level first. Would be nice to be able to quit and resume, like many roguelites have, and not just between roads.

Umbreon posted:

On a whim I threw a lit road flare at a pack of them. It was extremely satisfying and I recommend you try it as soon as possible.
Very early game spoiler: It's also the only outer-zone source of a specific resource, so get throwing!

Broken Cog posted:

I have seen at least a dozen such negative reviews and far more complaints in the steam discussion form (just search "woke") but I've definitely seen that many of these are being deleted, too, so that may be why you're not seeing them as much.
That said, it absolutely is a thing and you don't need to try to downplay the LGBT hate gamers show on the regular

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Pacific Drive gave me intense motion sickness, even with FOV cranked up. I'm sad, it looks like a game that would be totally my jam.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vib Rib posted:

I have seen at least a dozen such negative reviews and far more complaints in the steam discussion form (just search "woke") but I've definitely seen that many of these are being deleted, too, so that may be why you're not seeing them as much.
That said, it absolutely is a thing and you don't need to try to downplay the LGBT hate gamers show on the regular
There will always be some assholes that's mad about that, and they tend to be loud (and predictable) so they're easy to find if you specifically go looking for them, which is kind of a weird thing to do.
Let them stew in their own impotent rage and spare yourself the mental effort of having to read their garbage. If they're not having any impact on how a game is reviewing, who cares. It just kinda struck me as one of those "This game is reviewing poorly because of bigots" things you get every now and then.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Weirdly, I am not getting motion sickness, despite usually getting motion sickness especially in UE games.

Otoh, it seems for me the game just renders most environment textures in the lowest of the lowest of resolutions for some reason.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Have the devs mentioned that they might add saving? It rly seems like it’s kind of tanking their reviews relative to what they could be + actually makes it a lot harder to fit in playing their game. It feels like a save where you can stop mid mission and resume, but not like choose from a list of saves, would keep the important aspects of the current system if those matter to them? It’s sort of turning me off from really starting- I liked the vibes from the start a ton but don’t really have consistent chunks of guaranteed free time that often.

E:
Turns out they have and they aren’t going to change it due to tech limitations (?). I guess maybe I’ll just try and get through the start and it gets more frequent?

quote:

Currently, saving functions like this: when you’re in the garage, you are able save up to your current level of progress. Parts will stay on the ground, your inventory stays the same, you’ll even have the same amount of gas in the tank for the car, etc. While out on a trip into the Zone it’s a bit different. You’ll keep all your progress up to the current junction, but nothing after - your game will save automatically when you enter a new level and the game won’t save again until you get back to the garage, or move on to the next junction.

Due to the scope of the game, and our focus on providing a robust and varied experience across a high number of trips into the zone, with variable map sizes, anomaly populations, and the amount of hazards, we had to make technical sacrifices early on in the project that makes revisiting this save behavior not feasible. While we understand why this is highly requested, it’s not something we plan on revisiting for those reasons.

We believe that once a majority of players have had time in the game, it’ll be apparent why the save system is working this way. The game gets much faster and more intense the more you learn your way around the Zone and you’ll have plenty of time to grab the essentials and get out or take your time and explore. If you do need to save mid-run, just head for the next exit and then you can safely quit the game once you load into the next level, without losing any progress.

tildes fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 24, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Broken Cog posted:

There will always be some assholes that's mad about that, and they tend to be loud (and predictable) so they're easy to find if you specifically go looking for them, which is kind of a weird thing to do.
Let them stew in their own impotent rage and spare yourself the mental effort of having to read their garbage. If they're not having any impact on how a game is reviewing, who cares. It just kinda struck me as one of those "This game is reviewing poorly because of bigots" things you get every now and then.
I didn't go looking for them, they were just there when I checked the reviews. I mentioned searching because you couldn't find any and I'm assuring you, they're there.
I don't really care what you think about how I should react to or notice this stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Evil Kit posted:

If you see box trucks, make sure to hit the back of them up for loot because gently caress me I've driven by way too many before realizing they were full of sweet loot like cosmetics and peculiar parts. Gotta trick out the ride!

There are people genuinely struggling with the save and run system...? The heck.

My guess is it's people who are pretty unfamiliar with extraction games. I could see this kind of gaming hitting people who don't normally do that.