Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

This is wildly untrue.

People remember the Flacco Ravens run and think the playoffs are basically flipping coins but it ain’t that at all.

Nah, he's got a good point, it's easier to win if you get that bye but this years champion was the 3 seed from the conference and went the long way and we were a bees dick away from a detroit (3) vs Green Bay (7) in the NFCCG.

seeds are your last 5 champions - at least via a quick wiki search. There's going to be some teams where you know their days are numbered but we've seen a lot of one seeds get dumpstered their first game. We've also seen a bunch of games where no matter who wins the playoffs are over the next week. I can't remember the exact year but I remember a Panthers v 9ers game where they beat the gently caress out of each other that badly no one was getting past that game in tact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

BlindSite posted:

Nah, he's got a good point, it's easier to win if you get that bye but this years champion was the 3 seed from the conference

Those amazingly scrappy underdogs, the dynastic 3 time super bowl champion Chiefs :hmmyes:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, it's quite a nice bump from what was expected.

https://x.com/gregauman/status/1761089858389385519?s=20

Hahaha

Chargers have the bad cap year right when the giant increase happens

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coldforge posted:

Those amazingly scrappy underdogs, the dynastic 3 time super bowl champion Chiefs :hmmyes:

Well I mean your team lost one of their best defenders on a freak movement and CMC almost had his knee torn to pieces on an awkward tackle and your coach didn't have his team prepped correctly for over time. Not to mention a dumb special teams mis cue.

Not to drag the falcons into this too but we saw them lose from an almost unlosable position not that long ago as well.

The chiefs being champions kind of proves my point in that weird and dumb poo poo happens in the playoffs and the right guy doing the right thing at the right time can make up for a whole lot of deficiencies. If not for an inch of trajectory and a more relaxed jog onto the field from a defender the 9ers probably cruise home and chiefs fans would be pissing and moaning on the forums about their glaring lack of wide receivers.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

BlindSite posted:

Well I mean your team lost one of their best defenders on a freak movement and CMC almost had his knee torn to pieces on an awkward tackle and your coach didn't have his team prepped correctly for over time. Not to mention a dumb special teams mis cue.

Not to drag the falcons into this too but we saw them lose from an almost unlosable position not that long ago as well.

The chiefs being champions kind of proves my point in that weird and dumb poo poo happens in the playoffs and the right guy doing the right thing at the right time can make up for a whole lot of deficiencies. If not for an inch of trajectory and a more relaxed jog onto the field from a defender the 9ers probably cruise home and chiefs fans would be pissing and moaning on the forums about their glaring lack of wide receivers.

The Chiefs were not a worse team or less well prepared than other playoff teams, they just had a lot of weird and dumb poo poo happen to them in the regular season (most of the weird and dumb poo poo being WRs) that they figured out by the time playoffs arrived.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coldforge posted:

The Chiefs were not a worse team or less well prepared than other playoff teams, they just had a lot of weird and dumb poo poo happen to them in the regular season (most of the weird and dumb poo poo being WRs) that they figured out by the time playoffs arrived.

I'm glad you came round to my way of seeing things.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Just get to the playoffs* and anything can happen

*w/ Pat Mahomes at QB

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

BlindSite posted:

I'm glad you came round to my way of seeing things.

Sure, if that's what you're saying, random poo poo happens all the time in the NFL. It's not limited to the playoffs, and it's unlikely to happen several games in a row at any point.

More often than not, the better prepared team that plays better, wins. The random BS usually has an oversized effect only if both teams are otherwise roughly equal in those things.

The only thing I disagreed with was the Chiefs being a 3 seed mattered in any way, because the *reason* they were a 3 seed was abnormal.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 23, 2024

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
[Quote="Ornery and Hornery" post="537969756"]
This is wildly untrue.

People remember the Flacco Ravens run and think the playoffs are basically flipping coins, but it ain’t that at all.
[/ quote]

I also remember the Flacco Ravens run. What a great run. What a great team!

Ravens should really win the Superbowl more often.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Ravens should really win the Superbowl more often.

Hard disagree

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bolt Up with Jimmy Harbs

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The337th posted:

Just get to the playoffs* and anything can happen

*w/ Pat Mahomes at QB

I listed a number of instances that did not in fact involve patrick mahomes or the kansas city chiefs. Hope this helps. 1 example in a half dozen you think deserves a qualifier doesn't change the point - or you know. Decades of sport around the world that serve as examples of - why we play the games.

Coldforge posted:

Sure, if that's what you're saying, random poo poo happens all the time in the NFL. It's not limited to the playoffs, and it's unlikely to happen several games in a row at any point.

More often than not, the better prepared team that plays better, wins. The random BS usually has an oversized effect only if both teams are otherwise roughly equal in those things.

The only thing I disagreed with was the Chiefs being a 5 seed mattered in any way, because the *reason* they were a 5 seed was abnormal.

I mean. You're both really hung up on the chiefs so let me use the most recent example:

quote:

In the highly anticipated game, the teams traded the lead five times. After the fifth lead change, in which the Chiefs scored a touchdown to take a three-point lead, the Bills attempted a fake punt after failing to pick up a first down after three tries on the ensuing series, but it failed. A play later, Kansas City advanced the ball down to Buffalo's 3-yard line with a great opportunity to extend their lead to two scores. However, Kansas City wide receiver Mecole Hardman fumbled the ball out the side of the end zone for a touchback, thus allowing Buffalo to regain possession and remain in the game. After the teams traded punts, the Bills advanced the ball into Kansas City territory, but their drive stalled in field goal range. In a play that evoked memories of the missed game-winning field goal attempt by Scott Norwood in Super Bowl XXV, Buffalo kicker Tyler Bass proceeded to miss his field goal attempt wide right, thus allowing Kansas City to take over with their three-point lead still intact. Kansas City then picked up a first down on their next possession to drain the clock and seal the victory

The next game the chiefs played the Ravens who inexplicably didn't bother to run the ball despite the evidence and smart money being on that being the strategy, Zay Flowers taunted and caused a penalty, Zay Flowers fumbled a gimme touchdown, Jackson made his worst read and throw of the year at the worst possible time.

Then we had the superbowl that I listed above.

We can have a long winded discussion about the intersection of luck, preparedness, bad performance, bad strategy, random chance and all that bullshit but it still comes down to what is basically - make it to the playoffs do the best you can and see if poo poo breaks your way.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I don't really disagree with the premise that much, anyone could hypothetically string together a few lucky games and win it all

But the Chiefs are still a hilarious example to use, lol

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

e: oops, missed an entire page of discussion on a point. Disregard!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

BlindSite posted:

We can have a long winded discussion about the intersection of luck, preparedness, bad performance, bad strategy, random chance and all that bullshit but it still comes down to what is basically - make it to the playoffs do the best you can and see if poo poo breaks your way.

We don't need it, because it boils down to: win as many games as you can and hope things break your way when it matters.

No one's disagreeing with that, just that the Chiefs are a weird example to hold up of a "bad" team getting lucky in the playoffs.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The337th posted:

I don't really disagree with the premise that much, anyone could hypothetically string together a few lucky games and win it all

But the Chiefs are still a hilarious example to use, lol

It literally happened this year, lol. In examples I posted, in the post above yours. Things you guys say don't happen in the playoffs, just happened, in the latest playoffs. To directly the team that you're saying these things don't happen for.

Are you trolling at this point or just this dense?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coldforge posted:

We don't need it, because it boils down to: win as many games as you can and hope things break your way when it matters.

No one's disagreeing with that, just that the Chiefs are a weird example to hold up of a "bad" team getting lucky in the playoffs.

You're the only one to use the term "bad".

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Well then let's move on to a less heated issue. Standards of evidence for domestic violence employment disciplines.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/...7B43W53PLTMF24/

At a bare minimum, it seems like there is enough circumstantial evidence to say Zay Flowers did something not good. Was he hitting his girlfriend? Was he grabbing her so hard as to leave bruises? Was he barring her exit from a house and she hurt herself trying to get past him? Was he present when his brother committed the abuse? Was she lying about everything?

Well except for that last question where the answer is definitely no, we will probably never know the truth. That's because the criminal investigation is closed with no charges. So knowing what we do know, which is very little, what should the NFL do about Flowers. I know for a lot of people the answer is to expel him from the league without any opportunity to play football again. But is that kind of discipline permitted under the union contract? Is it moral to take away someone's livelihood without strong evidence? Do we want NFL owners to make those calls when they will likely punish marginal players and let superstars skate? Is domestic violence so abhorrent that that weak, circumstantial evidence is enough for heavy discipline? Are cases of totally innocent people being accused of DV so incredibly rare that the harm someone in that situation may face shouldn't be factored in at all?

I do not know. The one thing I think I know is that Flowers should face some kind of professional punishment and he almost certainly won't.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

BlindSite posted:

It literally happened this year, lol. In examples I posted, in the post above yours. Things you guys say don't happen in the playoffs, just happened, in the latest playoffs. To directly the team that you're saying these things don't happen for.

Are you trolling at this point or just this dense?

I know it probably feels like fate itself is trolling you with the team owner and franchise QB you've ended up with, but no

It's a very silly example

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The337th posted:

I know it probably feels like fate itself is trolling you with the team owner and franchise QB you've ended up with, but no

It's a very silly example

Nope.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Is this guy seriously using the current NFL dynasty as a "whacky things can happen in the playoffs" example? Like, the team that's won 3 Super Bowls in 5 years and have been to like 6-7 consecutive AFC Championship games?

LMAO

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Not a dynasty.

Gotta win 3 straight

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

a neat cape posted:

Not a dynasty.

Gotta win 3 straight

By this logic, the Cowboys of the 90's weren't a dynasty either, so I think you're on to something

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I would be happy with a playoff win

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Chiefs weren't a big favorite going into the playoffs considering how hot the Ravens and Bills looked. Chiefs had a lot of lucky breaks, but they were also experienced enough to take advantage of those breaks and stay in games to the end.

The Chiefs weren't the best team this season, probably not even in the top five, but they definitely earned their Super Bowl win and were at least arguably the best team in the playoffs.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It pains me to say, but the Chiefs went up against the best teams and beat them all on this Super Bowl run. The only one that might be considered flukey was Miami because of the insane weather. Even if that one has an asterisk, it was the worst team they faced all postseason.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

If zero of the Chiefs wins from playoffs to SB hinged on Patty Mahomes being The Guy, then I'll retract mocking your example

Otherwise, the point stands

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Which one of y'all is gonna sign Bakhtiari?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Which one of y'all is gonna sign Bakhtiari?

J
E
T
S

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

JETS JETS JETS

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The Tom Bratriots never won three in a row. Not a dynasty.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

drat. It's almost as if Fiz had a point when he said making the playoffs is important because a lot can happen and lead to wins.

Which it clearly did. This year, and in years past.

Crazy.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Tom Bratriots never won three in a row. Not a dynasty.

It's true

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

the only question is if he's going to be their starter going into TC which would be hilariosuly insanely dumb but it's the jets.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

There are no dynasties in the NFL, just false gods and frauds

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

After the Broncos beat the Chiefs this year, the Chiefs never recovered from the loss and spiraled into hell, never to return..............

What? I was a asleep? But my dream was SO good. :mad:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

3 DONG HORSE posted:

After the Broncos beat the Chiefs this year, the Chiefs never recovered from the loss and spiraled into hell, never to return..............

What? I was a asleep? But my dream was SO good. :mad:

Same but my dream occurred right after the Christmas Day Massacre at Arrowhead

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Same but mine was when the chargers—gently caress

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, it's quite a nice bump from what was expected.

https://x.com/gregauman/status/1761089858389385519?s=20

Mickey Loomis just whistles and laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well that's nice.

https://x.com/AuxGod_/status/1761144094494204363?s=20