Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mustang posted:

Doing the Amazon "loop" today with 5 interviewers. Can't wait to get this poo poo over. 5 hours of interviews. gently caress me.

Been there, it actually wasn’t that bad I found. A lot less technical questions than I was expecting and more on work flow and personality fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
That's good to hear! Reddit seems to be full of people with bad experiences with the process, but that's not surprising because people with good experiences probably aren't posting on the internet about it.

I'm mostly nervous that they'll ask a question that I hadn't prepared for and I won't be able to think of a good one on the spot.

But the hiring manager already told me she would have hired me on the spot if she could, and she's one of the interviewers I have today.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They asked a lot about how I did things in the past, solved problems etc. I can’t even remember the last time I’ve been quizzed on technical details, must be because I’m in the senior phase of the career.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mustang posted:

That's good to hear! Reddit seems to be full of people with bad experiences with the process, but that's not surprising because people with good experiences probably aren't posting on the internet about it.

It's useful in this case to also remember that most reddit posts are fiction.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had a 5-rounds interview at amazon in around 2015. I didn't get it because one guy had a single 45 minute technical question about binary trees where you also had a function to see the grandparent or something, and I totally blanked and went 'uhhhhh' for about 45 minutes.

But that wasn't the worst! The worst was the 'negative man' who would have been my director or something. None of his questions were technical, but they were all negative. It was rapid fire for 45 minutes and it was all
"what's the worst thing about you? No, that's a bullshit answer. Who was your worst boss? Who was your worst colleague? Tell me when you got into an argument at work. What's the worst place you've worked at? What's the worst thing you've done?"

He must have asked me like 50-60 questions like that at least, and I'm still traumatized. Right at the end I said "that was the toughest interview I've ever had" and he said "NO IT WASN'T!"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's useful in this case to also remember that most reddit posts are fiction.

Yeah, one person had a bad interview years ago and dozens of people have posted about it trying to pass themselves off as the OP.

I've not gone through it but friends have. General feedback was it was long but everyone was pleasant and there was very little "gotcha" type stuff. I think the best advice is really pace yourself, be mindful of keeping your energy up as it drags, be mindful of who you're talking to so you can adjust yourself accordingly.

redreader posted:

He must have asked me like 50-60 questions like that at least, and I'm still traumatized. Right at the end I said "that was the toughest interview I've ever had" and he said "NO IT WASN'T!"

Lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Dodged a bullet, cos negative man sounds nightmarish

But also lol

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

redreader posted:

I had a 5-rounds interview at amazon in around 2015. I didn't get it because one guy had a single 45 minute technical question about binary trees where you also had a function to see the grandparent or something, and I totally blanked and went 'uhhhhh' for about 45 minutes.

But that wasn't the worst! The worst was the 'negative man' who would have been my director or something. None of his questions were technical, but they were all negative. It was rapid fire for 45 minutes and it was all
"what's the worst thing about you? No, that's a bullshit answer. Who was your worst boss? Who was your worst colleague? Tell me when you got into an argument at work. What's the worst place you've worked at? What's the worst thing you've done?"

My hiring manager and recruiter have been really nice, but that sounds loving awful. Sounds like you dodged a bullet, I wouldn't want to work for a team like that.

Hopefully everyone else is as nice as the hiring manager.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mustang posted:

Doing the Amazon "loop" today with 5 interviewers. Can't wait to get this poo poo over. 5 hours of interviews. gently caress me.

Remember to talk about customer impact

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

redreader posted:

But that wasn't the worst! The worst was the 'negative man' who would have been my director or something.
Was this in Ireland by any chance? I had an interview with them for an internship in 2016 and I might have met negative man. It was also the second last whiteboard interview I ever did. It was also the first one where I just said "ye know what? Thanks for your time, I'm good" because it was for a general AWS support role, not dev work. No need for me to do a quicksort or some poo poo.

It also taught me a valuable lesson. Since I knew everyone interviewing that day we could all compare notes, and the first person negative man talked to got the job. Primacy bias is real!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Arquinsiel posted:

Was this in Ireland by any chance?

No, it was in Palo Alto I think, or Redwood City or something. An office in the bay area in CA.

It gave me a lot to think about, and I realised later that yes I dodged a bullet. I also decided from then on to just leave if I am ever doing a day of interviews and one of them is like that. I'll also make sure to say why I'm leaving.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's finally over. I think it went well, everyone seemed to like my answers. Fortunately, there was no negative man to deal with lol.

Honestly everyone was really nice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Great! Hope you get a good response.

redreader posted:

No, it was in Palo Alto I think, or Redwood City or something. An office in the bay area in CA.

It gave me a lot to think about, and I realised later that yes I dodged a bullet. I also decided from then on to just leave if I am ever doing a day of interviews and one of them is like that. I'll also make sure to say why I'm leaving.
Yeah, I think there's probably an element of someone, somewhere in Amazon's hiring team, that decided to be lovely to candidates to see "how they perform under pressure" or some poo poo, and then got smacked hard after a bunch of people walked out of interviews in 2015-ish.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

redreader posted:

Now I want to 3D print a :negative: and put it on the corner of my desk when I'm required to conduct interviews I'd rather not.

Come to think of it I should bring it with me to meetings too.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

redreader posted:

Right at the end I said "that was the toughest interview I've ever had" and he said "NO IT WASN'T!"

lmao

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

redreader posted:

Were you interviewing to work at an argument clinic?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

fondue posted:

Were you interviewing to work at an argument clinic?

No, arguments are in room 12A. This was abuse.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Ugh, gently caress employers that use those third party employment verification lines, and also gently caress background check companies that won't accept verification from those lines.

Now I get to try to collect 7 years of tax documents in a household of 3 undiagnosed ADHD adults or risk not getting the job that would fix everything for us yaaaaaay!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Organic Lube User posted:

Ugh, gently caress employers that use those third party employment verification lines, and also gently caress background check companies that won't accept verification from those lines.

Now I get to try to collect 7 years of tax documents in a household of 3 undiagnosed ADHD adults or risk not getting the job that would fix everything for us yaaaaaay!

7 years of tax documents? What on earth does that prove???

At this job I had to do a police check but those are easy peasy

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chewbecca posted:

7 years of tax documents? What on earth does that prove???

It proves exactly how low a salary they can get away with paying you.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

It proves exactly how low a salary they can get away with paying you.

I've already got an offer on that, so I should be good. I just need these background screening company goons to give me the all clear.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The job posting for the job I went through 5 interviews for on Friday has been pulled from Amazon's website. I'm supposed to find out tomorrow if I got the job.

The wait is killing me. Been applying and interviewing for 7 months now.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Funnily enough, I just got an invitation to take an assessment for an Amazon role to which I had applied...more than 2 months ago. I guess this is indicative of their process as a whole.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

The job posting for the job I went through 5 interviews for on Friday has been pulled from Amazon's website. I'm supposed to find out tomorrow if I got the job.

The wait is killing me. Been applying and interviewing for 7 months now.

I'm in the same sorta boat. My next employer says they want me, but I've had to go through Byzantine bullshit to keep the background check moving along. I just wanna have an official start date instead of a tentative one so I can go ahead and tell my current employer to pound sand.

I hate waiting. Ugh!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So apparently the company I last interviewed for has been trying to get back to me for several weeks, but due to some stupidity with their auto-dialer program they couldn't get through to me as the thing didn't understand the format of "(country_code) area_code number" and someone just fed it into the machine from my CV directly... Not a super positive sign, but hey. Solid odds they'll want me in-office 100% of the time though, so we'll see how far I go.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Ugh, my hiring process seems to have hit a snag because they sent me an offer letter to accept along with all my background check paperwork, which they said I had 9 business days to submit, but here we are 9 consecutive days (not business) after and I got a message that the DocuSign link had expired. I emailed the HR contact who forwarded it to my hiring coordinator who said he had emailed me another link, but nothing showed up in my mailbox for a while. I emailed him after 20 minutes, and then again after an hour, just asking if he could resend it in case mail filtering had misrouted something. I got no reply to either email after waiting over the course of the afternoon, so I emailed the HR contact once more mentioning what had happened and the steps I was trying to take to get the link resent, as well as a brief explanation as to why I wasn't signed it quite yet, and said that I hope that I hadn't derailed the process. I wasn't trying to throw the coordinator under the bus or anything, but I also don't want to drop the ball on this any more than I feel I already did when i waited to submit the acceptance letter. I wasn't purposefully putting it off, I had just mentally planned to do it after the background check was squared away, which wound up taking longer than I anticipated. I was actually about to take care of that today when I got the email about the link expiring. But I was still within the period they told me to submit it, so I dunno what's happening. I tend to drive myself mad with worst case scenarios when I can't get any more information about something.
I'm still waiting to hear back from either person.
What I'm imagining is that the company enacted a hiring freeze (there was mention of an impending freeze which was a reason they were trying to fast-track my hire) which is blocking them from re-creating offers in whatever they use for an HR system, and now I've just screwed myself out of a job where it seemed like the whole team wanted me to be there. Or they just think it's ridiculous that someone wouldn't submit that acceptance letter earlier and decided that they don't want to waste time on a person who drops balls like that.

Help me not panic, goons. It's after 5 and I'm sure I won't hear anything from either person I've emailed (I have no phone numbers for them) until tomorrow, so it's gonna be a long night with these thoughts that I'm convinced that I've lost this opportunity against all odds. Being ghosted sucks.

EDIT: Finally got the email with the link and got my offer signed! Totally wasn't expecting them to be working this late but I'll take it.
The hiring process is brutal when you have an anxiety disorder.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 1, 2024

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022
I love being ghosted by a company with a position I'm a great fit for. I love being gaslit that I'm going to speak to a hiring manager.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I got repeatedly ghosted after talking to recruiters for several jobs, one of which would have been a three minute walk from where I lived. My current job the guy I spoke to wasn’t supposed to interview me, the guy who was got too busy so the first guy said gently caress it and hired me anyway. You just never know with some companies

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

I got repeatedly ghosted after talking to recruiters for several jobs, one of which would have been a three minute walk from where I lived. My current job the guy I spoke to wasn’t supposed to interview me, the guy who was got too busy so the first guy said gently caress it and hired me anyway. You just never know with some companies

I had so many promising discussions with recruiters that never amounted to poo poo, it was almost worse than not talking to them at all

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
There’s so many levels of lovely when job hunting. There’s places you never hear back from, there’s places you talk to a recruiter then get ghosted, there’s places that give you a two hour interview with 4 teams then ghost you afterwards (thanks Maxar), and finally there’s places that give you an offer but it’s a lowball and they won’t budge (thanks Lockheed). I’m sure there’s even more levels I haven’t encountered but holy hell it saps your will to keep going

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

There’s so many levels of lovely when job hunting. There’s places you never hear back from, there’s places you talk to a recruiter then get ghosted, there’s places that give you a two hour interview with 4 teams then ghost you afterwards (thanks Maxar), and finally there’s places that give you an offer but it’s a lowball and they won’t budge (thanks Lockheed). I’m sure there’s even more levels I haven’t encountered but holy hell it saps your will to keep going

Haha, I had a recruiter trying to get me for the Maxar gig. I'm generally not too keen on working with military contractors so I didn't respond. Good thing.

I'm still gonna be nervous as hell until the background check people finish their thing and certify the report. I've got one employer that they cant verify so I might have to dig up tax or payment records that I no longer necessarily have, so that's fun. And I'm not even sure if it's something that would actually be a barrier on the report, like I'm not sure they care that much about verifying every single employer, but for all I know it's a process-halting catastrophe for them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Euphemism time. How would you say, "My current place is a loving shitshow" in Interview Speak?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Magnetic North posted:

Euphemism time. How would you say, "My current place is a loving shitshow" in Interview Speak?

"I'm looking for opportunities to do <thing new company is doing>"

If you get pressed things like "<Current place> sometimes doesn;t always prioritize consistent process" or <Current place> is in something of a transition so they are prioritizing getting the basics down" can help code it without you throwing them under the bus.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

I had so many promising discussions with recruiters that never amounted to poo poo, it was almost worse than not talking to them at all

I had one recruiter that kept ghosting me so I just started ignoring him. He keeps popping back up every few months though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think in order to effectively translate to interview speak you need to consider HOW your current place is a shitshow first. calling a place a shitshow is ~just vibes~ and doesn't really help you that much. If it is, as lockback said, a lack of standard processes you can run with that and talk about how that is important to you. If it's directionless leadership you can say that you're looking for greater clarity of vision/purpose for your team.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
It's kind of both. They have seriously huge process issues to the extreme and little leadership gumption to do more than just talk about doing better. There's zero courage in leadership and the team has been ground to dust by perpetual readiness footing.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

what's interview speak for "some morons set the roof on fire and management told everybody (including people at the company next door) to not call the fire department?"

Hotel Kpro posted:

I had an interview with a National Lab two weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. This place was extremely slow in the rest of the process so maybe they're still taking their sweet time, but my optimisms drops every day. Then again, I hope a NL has enough respect to not ghost people

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 1, 2024

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Organic Lube User posted:

Haha, I had a recruiter trying to get me for the Maxar gig. I'm generally not too keen on working with military contractors so I didn't respond. Good thing.

Was it the platform support engineer gig? The schedule looked batshit insane, going from days to swings to mids with the last week ending seven straight days of work on two overnight 12 hour shifts, but then it was five days off, work two 12s, and seven days off. Sounded chaotic but fun. Hope whoever they picked worked out for them

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Didn't get the job but "they saw Amazonian attributes" in me and I can interview at Amazon immediately again instead of being blacklisted for 2 years. Said they're going to contact me again next week about other roles.

This has been the worst job search of my life. Current feeling: keep a shitlist of everyone I interact with in this job search and if I ever have the opportunity to gently caress over one of them over in the future, I will relish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Amazonian attributes, lol.