Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I regretted not bringing in a stack or two of mould, need a lot of nanites to copy your ship and multi-tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MikeyTsi posted:

Just use the signal booster or get a map and find a minor settlement. The dealer there will regularly have at least one or two solar mirrors for sale.

Different mirrors, the one you get from dissonant worlds.

Speaking of which, things worth noting:

1. A lot of the recently-added stuff from the robot patch can be rendered to nanites in a refiner-- Unmodified brains from wrecked sentinel ships are 230 nanites each, Inverted Mirrors are 95 each, Radiant Shards are 50 each. If you need nanites fast, or want something worth actually bringing across to render down, that's The Stuff to aim for.

2. You can copy ships and multitools in both directions

3. You can copy multiple ships and multitools-- each individual one can only be copied once, but whatever your primary one is at the time is the one that'll be available for copying.

Add all that together and you can, if you're so inclined, copy your good multitool/ship into the expedition, rip all the tech out, stick it in the quest reward ship/multitool, and copy it back across to your main save, and do it with multiple things to boot.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I haven't ended the expedition yet (I'm waiting for those drat community milestones to finish) but I do now have two Omega saves going; the one I originally started as its own save file and my main save which is now a special expedition save since I started the expedition from the Anomaly.

But now I have to completed expeditions, one I can transfer stuff from and one I can't, but both have the quicksilver I earned so doing the expedition twice got me 18k quicksilver, and buying stuff from the non-main save will still unlock the stuff so that's nice.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone continually getting the prompt to make and feed food to local animals, even though it's not (afaict) anywhere in the log? Or maybe it's an earlier expedition milestone that I didn't notice. But I don't have any rewards waiting to be claimed, nor is the pellet creation task a part of any of my undone milestones, so I don't know wtf is going on.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You need faecium to build something for one of the milestones, that's the only thing I can think of.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

MikeyTsi posted:

Just use the signal booster or get a map and find a minor settlement. The dealer there will regularly have at least one or two solar mirrors for sale.

Some really nice people in the community expeditions are putting down message orbs, so I finally found one that way.
Say hello to the ISS Horrible Light

LIke I said, people have been putting message orbs down....

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Different mirrors, the one you get from dissonant worlds.

Okay, those are even easier to find, the visor points them out for you.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man they aren't kidding when they say it will require a lot of travel to get tot he 2nd Redezvous. That or I'm just way off course because I went through a black hole.

At least I had the foresight to build a tiny base on a dissonant plant so I can go grab radiant shards for refueling more easily.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's Recommended to teleport back to rendezvous 1 after black holing or you're going to have to travel 300,000 ly or so manually

In (some?) previous expeditions black holes seemingly were hardcoded to spit you out at the start, presumably to avoid exactly this, so I'm not sure what they were thinking this time around

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Permadeath question - I'm on my way to the center of the galaxy with The Purge quest active trying to get the "To Live Forever" trophy (reach the center of the galaxy in permadeath mode). Does portaling straight to the Atlas count as per the quest or do I have to manually make my way there through black holes?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just want to drop this info here, as it might happen to someone else: today, I couldn't load the game up. I mean, it would start up, and I'd come to the mode selection screen. I'd pick my latest save (in the expedition) and I'd get the usual loading thing of flying through space (jfc, there's a lot of space there). Anyway, it'd do that without loading anything. I was trying to load it during my lunch break, and just kept my steam deck next to me while I was working, seeing if it would come up. After almost 30 minutes, I force-quit it and that was that. Later, I'd try again, but same deal. I verified the files, and rebooted my deck, made sure everything was up to date. I don't run the experimental build, btw.

But I found a solution! Make a brand new save in creative (so it gets right to the point with a functional ship). Pop in and out the ship, so it saves. Quit to mode select, load the save file you want, and boom, it works now.

I don't know if this is more of a Steam deck thing, or if it's just a bump that occurs with NMS patches and updates, but I found this solution from Reddit, and it had been posted months ago, likely when Echoes came out.

Hope it helps someone.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

It's Recommended to teleport back to rendezvous 1 after black holing or you're going to have to travel 300,000 ly or so manually

In (some?) previous expeditions black holes seemingly were hardcoded to spit you out at the start, presumably to avoid exactly this, so I'm not sure what they were thinking this time around

Yeah I did that today and it was a big help, knocked out a bunch of expedition quests.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Is this done via a new base teleporter on the other side? This’ll only be my second time through one and I never learned how to transit between galaxies.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lordshmee posted:

Is this done via a new base teleporter on the other side? This’ll only be my second time through one and I never learned how to transit between galaxies.

You can just do it from the Anomaly or local space station teleporter, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

You can just do it from the Anomaly or local space station teleporter, too.

Yeah, the little rectangle preview of the space station near rendezvous 1 will actually say "rendezvous 1". I did it tonight and it really helped. Now I'm on phase 4.

Edit: jfc, I need this game in VR. Hooooooly gently caress.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 21, 2024

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Well I've finished the expedition, except for the final goal of researching the final planet...so I guess the question is what's worth bringing back to my main save, since it seems I can't bring say, the fancy Atlas multitool I got?

And what even comes back with me? Apparently stuff you don't put in the expedition terminal gets converted to units and nanites? Including your ships and freighter if you have one? I just get the free Starborn Runner ship and posters on the other side?

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 21, 2024

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
You'll be able to pick up the Atlas multitool and all the appearance modifications (the mask and the jetpack) at the quicksilver vendor on the anomaly too, along with the ship. Your original ship, the interceptor you picked up, and your freighter you'll lose, but (as I think the expedition was meant to show you) they're pretty easy to replace.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Giant Ethicist posted:

You'll be able to pick up the Atlas multitool and all the appearance modifications (the mask and the jetpack) at the quicksilver vendor on the anomaly too, along with the ship. Your original ship, the interceptor you picked up, and your freighter you'll lose, but (as I think the expedition was meant to show you) they're pretty easy to replace.

So the only thing to worry about is any suitably rare materials and powerful upgrades I picked up along the way, got it.

On that note, I really wish I the UI would show you the actual boosts for packaged gear that you've uninstalled, in numbers instead of saying what it boosts but not by how much.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 21, 2024

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Hunter Noventa posted:

So the only thing to worry about is any suitably rare materials and powerful upgrades I picked up along the way, got it.
Correct, and you can bring a rather generous number of them back with you.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hunter Noventa posted:

Well I've finished the expedition, except for the final goal of researching the final planet...so I guess the question is what's worth bringing back to my main save, since it seems I can't bring say, the fancy Atlas multitool I got?

If you have the nanites on your main save, you can jump back to it and copy the atlas multitool if it's your expedition self's currently equipped weapon

Same goes for the ship, which is nice-- I've had the golden vector and utopia speeder tying up permanent spots after their expeditions since I claimed them without really thinking but never use them, but also don't want to get rid of them...

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

If you have the nanites on your main save, you can jump back to it and copy the atlas multitool if it's your expedition self's currently equipped weapon

Same goes for the ship, which is nice-- I've had the golden vector and utopia speeder tying up permanent spots after their expeditions since I claimed them without really thinking but never use them, but also don't want to get rid of them...

yeah I found that, which was nice. My main save is still kind of young since i've only had the game about a month, but the new ship and staff are a big help.

Next goal is to find a nice spot with ambient power to build a big farming base.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

Next goal is to find a nice spot with ambient power to build a big farming base.

tip for finding hotspots- you can always find the direction of the nearest one by listening for when the sound changes, even if you are too far away for it to give you the distance.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

marktheando posted:

tip for finding hotspots- you can always find the direction of the nearest one by listening for when the sound changes, even if you are too far away for it to give you the distance.

Good to know. I'd really like to find one next to some kind of mineral or gas one, but that's probably too much to ask.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

Good to know. I'd really like to find one next to some kind of mineral or gas one, but that's probably too much to ask.

You'd be surprised! I've got a base at the first portal I randomly encountered that has both a gas and electric node. My first underwater base that I created before I even knew about the surveying tool had both a gas and electric node nearby, as well. Anecdotal, sure, but I did not go out of my way to search for this stuff. If you're actively looking for a spot that has both, I suspect you'll be able to find it pretty easily. You can expand out the buildable area on a base to quite a huge degree, if you find anything remotely nearby.

But also, if you want to farm, highly recommend doing it on a freighter. The harvesting is much, much faster because you do clusters of plants rather than individual plants.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah, it's rare to not find all 3 types of hotspot within buildable distance of any random location you build a base at. You will probably need to extend the buildable area by placing some stuff at the boundaries though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The Absolute Maximum Boundary of building is a 1000u radius, so if you want one base in range of multiple things the trick is

1. Find your I Want This More Than Anything On This Planet node, mark it
2. Find the nearest power node. If it's within 2000u, it's close enough, doesn't matter what class it is since you can put more electromagnetic generators
3. (Optional) Find any other nearest nodes if you care to look, you can probably find 1 or 2 more of random stuff
4. Find the spot in the middle where all of your nodes are <1000u away and plant your base

In my experience there's always at least an Electric node within 2000u of any other single node, so as long as you do base-extending techniques you can power whatever mine you feel like mining

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

as long as you do base-extending techniques you can power whatever mine you feel like mining

Also, ran into this for the first time the other week, apparently you have to restart the game or at least quit to the main menu after establishing a base before you can expand the boundaries by building. I set up a new base and tried to immediately push out the radius and kept hitting the wall, had a very WTF moment.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It can be a little finicky, yeah. I've never had it give me grief about boundary-shoving on initial base establishment, but I have had to log out in the base and back in if I've left mid-build and come back to it later

Either way, yeah, relogging usually fixes it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Apparently, this weekend is also going to be free for NMS. Does anyone know if that's going to happen on the Switch as well?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Welp finished and got my shiny new ship, I prefer the Sentinel Interceptor over this honestly.

My next goal is capturing a Rogue Dreadnought.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Apparently, this weekend is also going to be free for NMS. Does anyone know if that's going to happen on the Switch as well?

That was last weekend, when this expedition first started. I wanted to give the switch version a go, but i could't work out how to download the trial version.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
How is co-op these days? Might drag some friends back in to see the new stuff that's been added, but the biggest thing that sticks out in my mind from my last attempt was everyone's crashed ships clipping into each other at the starting tutorial location.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zet posted:

How is co-op these days? Might drag some friends back in to see the new stuff that's been added, but the biggest thing that sticks out in my mind from my last attempt was everyone's crashed ships clipping into each other at the starting tutorial location.

It's fine but without communal base building, there's nothing really to do in co-op apart from derelict freighters and anomaly missions, and those get repetitive pretty quickly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

marktheando posted:

That was last weekend, when this expedition first started. I wanted to give the switch version a go, but i could't work out how to download the trial version.

Yes, I know, but they're literally doing it again.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1760977159504396796?t=RSxPmOfCm8PY5Jpi8JEs_w&s=19

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

DreadUnknown posted:

Welp finished and got my shiny new ship, I prefer the Sentinel Interceptor over this honestly.

My next goal is capturing a Rogue Dreadnought.

I'm annoyed that it doesn't actually hover.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes, I know, but they're literally doing it again.

Oh right, nice. Yeah here's hoping it works on the switch this time, i'd like to try it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This video has inspired me to make way better bases, ones that I actually WANT to spend time in and invite people to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R65OPaTSw4U

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

This is the first expedition I've finished since the one with the Normandy from Mass Effect. I've dabbled in two or three of the other expeditions since then, but never stuck it out. Being able to bring over my ship and some materials from my old save was a fantastic shot in the arm, and really what the game needed. Being able to skip a lot of the low-level grind of getting a basic base going and a decent ship that can jump to any star opens the game up a lot.

In fact, I think I'm going to abandon my old save for this one going forward. I did the cheap trick of save-scumming a freighter encounter until I had an S-class Venator of similar appearance to my old one (which was only ever a C-class), but then the first pirate dreadnought encounter after that turned out to immediately be an S-class, so I really feel well set-up at this point. The only caveat is that I had to use the goatfungus save editor to hack the Normandy frigate back in, as it appears that the ability to claim the device that summons it from the quicksilver vendor on the anomaly is either bugged out or has quietly been removed.

I'm also transitioning all my games to Linux, and NMS has run great with Proton for the 10-15 hours I've taken to complete the expedition, barring one late-night lag spike that I blame on my ISP. And it also runs decently well on my absolute base-model M1 MacBook Air with dozens of browser tabs constantly open in the background. I think if they include co-op base building in Light No Fire from the get-go, it's gonna be a long-term game for a lot of people. Other survival games like Valheim and Ark have come and gone in my friend groups, but NMS with better construction co-op probably would've kept most of them coming back. I can only hope that Hello Games keeps a trickle of development for NMS going alongside Light No Fire too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

used the thingy to find a crashed Sentinel ship.. just in time to see someone else take off in it. So now I have to find another echo locator? Cool cool cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

used the thingy to find a crashed Sentinel ship.. just in time to see someone else take off in it. So now I have to find another echo locator? Cool cool cool

There are a number of expedition objectives that don't play nicely with multiplayer, and that's one of them. Go into the settings, disable multiplayer, save and reload, and the sentinel ship will have magically reappeared.