Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Read current events articles enough and you begin to see the same tropes used repeatedly:

"x scramble(s)/are scrambing to y"
"Critics/x pounced"
"x weighs/is weighing [policy initiative]"
"Shot dead" (which I think I've complained about before. As opposed to what: shooting someone alive?)

Find new metaphors. These need to be retired.

That last one at least is because you can shoot someone and not kill them.

Agreed on the others. Repetitive language is a peeve of mine as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Articles referring to murderers as "the gunman", as if that's their profession.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Every single streamer on Twitch is really good at the game they're streaming.
I want to see losers like me.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

When I was a teenager I had a summer job doing large-scale grocery shopping trips for teams who were bivouacked in remote research sites. All-day trips, effectively getting groceries for 25 people at a time, for 4 summers in a row. Perhaps because of that I have way too many peeves about grocery stores and grocery shopping:

Drivers blocking the parking lot aisle because someone with a good spot is loading their groceries
Drivers getting impatient with pedestrians, or worse, just not paying attention to pedestrians at all.
God, just large parking lots in general
Person from lovely organization is taking donations out front
Get right inside, family of 8 decides to stop in doorway to get everyone's coats off and loaded into carts
Grocery store has added turnstile things to lend credence to their complaints of increased shop-lifting, and they barely work.
ATM broken, lottery scratch card dispenser in tip-top shape
Everyone who enters loses all awareness of corporeality, will charge about blindly, block entire aisles, and leap in front of your cart
Most of the self-checkouts are broken, or they're extremely "vigilant" and need input from an employee every time you breathe wrong
Only one real register open, and they're pushing the member's club really hard today
Small run costs $120

sorry, I had a lot to get off my chest

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Every single streamer on Twitch is really good at the game they're streaming.
That's not true. Look for people who are famous for things other than streaming like actors, wrestlers, comedians, etc. They don't have to be very good at games because demonstrating their gaming skill is not the reason people are watching them.

If you're looking for someone who plays a specific game all the time though, then yeah they're probably going to at least be decent at it since they play it a lot. :shrug:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Read current events articles enough and you begin to see the same tropes used repeatedly:

"x scramble(s)/are scrambing to y"
"Critics/x pounced"
"x weighs/is weighing [policy initiative]"
"Shot dead" (which I think I've complained about before. As opposed to what: shooting someone alive?)

Find new metaphors. These need to be retired.

Speaking of retiring metaphors, how about loving retiring "the Perfect Storm"

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
those cliches suck but british journalist language is way worse. there's this infantilized set of slang words that only journalists use, presumably because they imagine their readers to be proletarian dullards who can't read the word "scientist" but will clap their hands like a circus seal at "boffin". or "luvvies" for "actors". there's a load of that awful stuff.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

When a delivery service just bold-faced lies to you. "We tried to deliver this but no one seemed to be home!" No, I've been sitting in my living room office all day, no one has walked up to the house the whole time. It's not even a package that's marked as requiring a signature or anything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm grabbing a slice and a beer at a pizza place and I look over at one of the TVs on the wall. Cute kids and their parents in home videos. Adorable, but why--ah, it's Oxygen TRUE CRIME for some reason, those kids and their mom were murdered. Nice, real mood setter, let me get a second pint.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Part two: I'm researching what happened to a wooden statue of a baseball player that used to be in my city in the early 20th century, and there's all these stories in the paper about this guy donating it to the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in 1939.

Except they say they never had the statue in their collection. I'm looking at press photos of the donator shaking hands with the curator of the museum in multiple national newspapers, and they're telling me they just never had this thing. Well, nearly a dozen newspapers across the country record it going down very differently, so what, did you drop it down a storm-drain and hope nobody would notice?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Remember "slowly being abducted 'aliens!' guy"? Imagine I posted that picture with the bottom text "TERMITES!"

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
A spell brought it to life and now it stalks the halls of Cooperstown as its eternal silent guardian.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

theironjef posted:

When a delivery service just bold-faced lies to you. "We tried to deliver this but no one seemed to be home!" No, I've been sitting in my living room office all day, no one has walked up to the house the whole time. It's not even a package that's marked as requiring a signature or anything.

A lot of them give their drivers way too many deliveries and way too little time to do them which incentivizes the drivers to just skip a bunch of them but lie about it so it doesn't gently caress their numbers.

It's a really stupid system that doesn't benefit anyone.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

theironjef posted:

Sometimes this has happened to me, and the package does get delivered but like hours after I receive an e-mail that says "Your package was delivered!"

edit: twice this has happened with Amazon. Both times, I receive this e-mail in the morning, there is no package, I complain to Amazon, then the package does get delivered, and I say to Amazon, Nevermind the package is here, and Amazon will say Well whoops we sent you another one, but don't worry about paying for it. :shrug:

edit 2 because I want to complain more: The single use I have for Facebook these days is to keep up on events happening in my area. Sometimes I get hit with targeted ads telling me about bands I'd love to see. The frustrating thing is, half the time these sponsored ads are in my area, and half the time they're somewhere thousands of miles away, and it doesn't say. It just says, "Come see this great show at the Suchandsuch Theater!" No indication of what city or state it's in. Then I click on the link and it sends me to a page telling me how fantastic Suchandsuch theater is, and where I can buy tickets, but even here it doesn't specify what city/state we're in. I have to Google the goddamn theater just to find out it's on the other fuckin coast!

credburn has a new favorite as of 05:17 on Feb 21, 2024

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

theironjef posted:

Whenever something comes to my building through FedEx I wind up finding a note on the entrance saying I wasn't there to receive it. We have a callbox but never receive a call, and I don't live in the lobby. Recently I think we figured out it's because some packages get labeled with just the first three letters of the recipient's last name, and the delivery guys don't seem to put two and two together when they don't see that name listed under the apartment number.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nameless Pete posted:

A spell brought it to life and now it stalks the halls of Cooperstown as its eternal silent guardian.

I'm beginning to think it's gotta be something ridiculous.

I just found a book on archive.org from 1970 with a photo of the statue in question. "Courtesy Baseball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, New York." I'm starting to feel insane.

Edit: Just found it in a digitized copy of "Treasures of the Baseball Hall of Fame: The Official Companion to the Collection at Cooperstown" by John Thorn. 1998.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Feb 21, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ha! I win! It was there all along! They just sent me a photo. *licks finger, tally marks air*

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

FreudianSlippers posted:

A lot of them give their drivers way too many deliveries and way too little time to do them which incentivizes the drivers to just skip a bunch of them but lie about it so it doesn't gently caress their numbers.

It's a really stupid system that doesn't benefit anyone.

Yeah, in this case it's USPS as a partner for Royal Mail, and I get it, the job is overloaded, I just wish they had a "couldn't deliver today" button they could press that A) wasn't a lie, and B) didn't act as a dead end for tracking details. As soon as they do this "We tried" bullshit, it goes off the tracker and now the package is just untrackable and in the wind. That part especially sucks.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Is the overloading of delivery workers even necessary? Like practically even non-food order I've ever made has been fine to arrive within the next week. I'm sure there are some emergencies but they should be very rare.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lobsterminator posted:

Is the overloading of delivery workers even necessary? Like practically even non-food order I've ever made has been fine to arrive within the next week. I'm sure there are some emergencies but they should be very rare.

Strictly speaking? No.

But more drivers taking on fewer packages each means more employees and vehicles for the delivery company which cuts into profits, so.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Arrath posted:

Strictly speaking? No.

But more drivers taking on fewer packages each means more employees and vehicles for the delivery company which cuts into profits, so.

The only actual logistical disaster in recent years was when the shipment of sex arses were stuck in Calais.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Youtube Premium: Pay extra to avoid ads, and even get extra-high-bitrate video streams!*
*Except our apps will consistently, 'accidentally' keep pushing lower quality streams when you don't notice.

It's honestly incredibly obnoxious how often youtube will try to push not-max-quality streams even though my devices can take it, my connection can take it, and I explicitly have the devices set to prefer highest quality.
Yet magically it'll advertise that a video has a 4k stream... but deliver a 1080p one until I explicitly set it. Knowing google I assume it's an active choice they do, seeing where they can get away with delivering lower bitrate feeds when possible.

Atleast I haven't gotten one of those 'oopsie woopsie, we're loving up! Here's a page where we blame you and your ISP for us being bad!' pages in a few years, I remember those were incredibly obnoxious.

(Also why on earth do they still not have a 'keep watching the playlist you were on' function, as opposed to 'oh hey, continue watching ep 15 of this playlist! You were watching that! Once you're done with that, we'll autoplay ep 17, or suggest ep 7!')

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SubNat posted:

(Also why on earth do they still not have a 'keep watching the playlist you were on' function, as opposed to 'oh hey, continue watching ep 15 of this playlist! You were watching that! Once you're done with that, we'll autoplay ep 17, or suggest ep 7!')

it's a transparent example of how their recommendation algorithm sucks

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SubNat posted:

Atleast I haven't gotten one of those 'oopsie woopsie, we're loving up! Here's a page where we blame you and your ISP for us being bad!' pages in a few years, I remember those were incredibly obnoxious.
The little popup that says "experiencing interruptions? Find out why."? Those still exist and they're still annoying as gently caress. It doesn't tell you anything you don't already know, it just forces you to click the button to make the loving popup go away.

Also, why does YouTube Music have the "are you still watching?" popup? The whole reason I use that is to turn it on and then leave it playing. No, I'm not actively sitting in front of the laptop, watching the screen. I have music playing. Yes, I want it to keep playing until I choose to stop it. :argh:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I know it's petty and wrong to gatekeep. HOWEVER! I'll be five years sober next month and I would like to take a moment to roll my eyes real hard at people who throw the word "addictive" around for things like Candy Crush or Cheez-Its or whatever. I find it disrespectful to my hallucinations and all the bile I puked while drying out.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Tiggum posted:

The little popup that says "experiencing interruptions? Find out why."? Those still exist and they're still annoying as gently caress. It doesn't tell you anything you don't already know, it just forces you to click the button to make the loving popup go away.

Also, why does YouTube Music have the "are you still watching?" popup? The whole reason I use that is to turn it on and then leave it playing. No, I'm not actively sitting in front of the laptop, watching the screen. I have music playing. Yes, I want it to keep playing until I choose to stop it. :argh:
but what if a corporation thus ended up paying three tenths of a cent in royalties to an artist's label when they could have avoided that? a crime against the holy shareholders!!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just switched phone companies (because my old one informed me that they were "upgrading" my plan by charging me more) so I'm setting up my account with the new one.

Are they trying to guarantee that no one will ever be able to actually remember their password?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Nameless Pete posted:

I know it's petty and wrong to gatekeep. HOWEVER! I'll be five years sober next month and I would like to take a moment to roll my eyes real hard at people who throw the word "addictive" around for things like Candy Crush or Cheez-Its or whatever. I find it disrespectful to my hallucinations and all the bile I puked while drying out.

Candy crush is literally designed to be addictive. Gambling and game addictions are real.

But I agree on cheez-its. I'm just a shameful fatass who loves them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Just switched phone companies (because my old one informed me that they were "upgrading" my plan by charging me more) so I'm setting up my account with the new one.

Are they trying to guarantee that no one will ever be able to actually remember their password?

God drat I hate that poo poo.

When I worked for T-Mobile, we had three systems (billing, the database, and the main interface) that each required passwords. Each system had to have a unique password; you couldn't use the same password in two systems. Every 90 days a new password had to be created. The new password could NOT contain ANY of the passwords you previously used. So like, you couldn't have password followed by password1 followed by password2, etc.

All this meant was that every single person's computer had a post-it note where all their passwords were written down, defeating the entire purpose of it all.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I just came up with phrases, and each year they’d go by themes. They’d be fictional evil corporations, such as “Weyland-Yutani Corporation, est. 2099” or made-up tavern names like “The Hammer & Sickle, est. 1922”.

I started this year feeling just kinda burned out so my password was “It’s not fun anymore in 2024”.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

credburn posted:

Each system had to have a unique password; you couldn't use the same password in two systems.

Fun fact! There's no way to automatically detect and forbid this that doesn't also reduce the security of both systems!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

credburn posted:

God drat I hate that poo poo.

When I worked for T-Mobile, we had three systems (billing, the database, and the main interface) that each required passwords. Each system had to have a unique password; you couldn't use the same password in two systems. Every 90 days a new password had to be created. The new password could NOT contain ANY of the passwords you previously used. So like, you couldn't have password followed by password1 followed by password2, etc.

All this meant was that every single person's computer had a post-it note where all their passwords were written down, defeating the entire purpose of it all.

My old job had a very similar set of systems, with the tweak that one reset every 90 days, one every 60, and one every 45, so you couldn't even sync them up.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MightyJoe36 posted:

Speaking of retiring metaphors, how about loving retiring "the Perfect Storm"

SubNat posted:

Youtube Premium: Pay extra to avoid ads, and even get extra-high-bitrate video streams!*
*Except our apps will consistently, 'accidentally' keep pushing lower quality streams when you don't notice.

Youtube Premium itself is a pet peeve of mine because it's Google blackmailing you to stop ads. I don't judge anyone for deciding to go with Premium, but my personal opinion is that a non-Chromium browser and NoScript should be all you need.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey I made an image macro to illustrate an annoyance on these forums using visual references from a thing we all know

There are words that for forty years I've been taught mean one thing, and just because a viral TikTok created last month used it in a different way, it doesn't make one a prescriptivist to wonder why people are suddenly using it in a strange way.

I know that makes me longitude but :shrug:

Oh here's another one. I recently saw a really rad play about Jesus, and one thing kept really nagging at me. They kept saying he was innocent. But he wasn't. He was trying to overthrow the government. That's a crime!

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Feb 23, 2024

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't know much about Jesus but wasn't his whole thing aside from being the son of god about preaching against corrupt religious leaders and foreign occupiers?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Correct, he hated the church and people from other countries

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Words are liquid honey

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When two people are pointing guns at each other and it's labelled or treated as a Mexican standoff. The whole point of a Mexican standoff is that the first person to shoot is the second person to die; it requires at least three gunmen, so that if A shoots B then C will shoot A, but if A shoots C then B will shoot A. If it's just A and B then A can shoot B and that's the end of it because B has been shot and there's no one else there so would one of you please just fire you gun and stop pretending this is some intractable conundrum?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Tiggum posted:

When two people are pointing guns at each other and it's labelled or treated as a Mexican standoff. The whole point of a Mexican standoff is that the first person to shoot is the second person to die; it requires at least three gunmen, so that if A shoots B then C will shoot A, but if A shoots C then B will shoot A. If it's just A and B then A can shoot B and that's the end of it because B has been shot and there's no one else there so would one of you please just fire you gun and stop pretending this is some intractable conundrum?

Nothing about the term or history implies it has to be >2 people. If A and B are both actively pointing guns at each other, then either firing will prompt the other to fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Nothing about the term or history implies it has to be >2 people. If A and B are both actively pointing guns at each other, then either firing will prompt the other to fire.

I'm talking about TV and movies in which being shot makes you instantly dead (or incapacitated) and it has never been shown or implied that a person who has been shot might still have the wherewithal to fire back. It happens a lot. A character will be killing their way through a bunch of bad guys with guns by always firing the first shot and never worrying about being shot at in return until suddenly an important bad guy points a gun at them and instead of doing the thing they've done every other time this happened (ie. shoot first and win) they suddenly stop and it's treated as though they and the enemy are in an inescapable situation now where neither can fire.