Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
2.0 was the live or die moment. The game was plenty successful after that so by 2.5 production they knew the game was alive and well.

And it opens more plot threads than it ties up for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Have they gotten to that fight yet? I was under the impression that they were not.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah they've done to level 80 before. This is a new character forgetting how long the 2.x content is.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah they've done to level 80 before. This is a new character forgetting how long the 2.x content is.

That's right. Thank you.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Just finished Stormblood. Man, that was a good ride.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's maligned by a lot of people but I thought it was a good story. Are you done 4.0 or 4.3?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I didn't care for much of Stormblood as I was playing it but once I got to the post expansion content I warmed up to it a bit. Still don't really care for the azim steppe content but it's fine overall

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It's in a similar vein to how doing the menial tasks in 2.x content is kind of frustrating as you're going through it but it makes sense in retrospect because people don't see you as a hero yet, you're just a guy acting like one in their eyes. Doing the "fetch us cheese and wine" questline makes a little more sense when the guy straight up admits he's taking the piss because he doesn't think you're capable of doing the things you say you're gonna do

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I sort of wish the writing on the Company of Heroes quest hammered a little more on their motivations, because I feel like "these are annoying chores, but not screening the 'heroes' who want to fight Titan just gets them killed, along with their comrades and who knows how many innocent bystanders" is kind of important.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I had a good ride through stormblood but it definitely felt like two kids in a trenchcoat

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Antivehicular posted:

I sort of wish the writing on the Company of Heroes quest hammered a little more on their motivations, because I feel like "these are annoying chores, but not screening the 'heroes' who want to fight Titan just gets them killed, along with their comrades and who knows how many innocent bystanders" is kind of important.

I did like in the Company of Heroes quests how Y'shtola was like "I'm not the only one losing my mind here at this fetch quest right?"

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Nitrousoxide posted:

I did like in the Company of Heroes quests how Y'shtola was like "I'm not the only one losing my mind here at this fetch quest right?"

I liked the contrast between her being all indignant and me just shrugging my shoulders and wondering if I'll be in the desert long enough to need to change clothes. Got all that done in a few hours and still had time to eat a kickass meal. Ya need to chill babe. The Warrior of Light's got this.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Best description I've seen about Stormblood feeling weaker than other expansions was for someone to call it a 7 or 8 out of 10... flanked on both sides by 11s.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A lot of Stormblood's enjoyment is also tied to some hit or miss elements. If you're not down for the long and storied Squaresoft storytelling tradition of rising to the challenge of an invincible antagonist, and/or you hate Zenos on contact... it's a lil' rough.

Likewise the entire fantasy Japan trip, or whether or not you love the goofy-rear end Xaela. As somebody who does the Steppes were a big highlight and payoff! And even if you like fantasy Japan elements it's undeniable that Stormblood was clearly split in two at the exact point you leave Rhalgar's Reach for Kugane.

Still love Stormblood though.

Stormblood 4.X post-patch: Omega is great, Tactics are great fights and setting but the only dialogue in the game I regret reading, I love what the three-fold payoff is but the Yotsuyu amnesia plot is still regrettably an amnesia plot.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I liked Zenos as a villain in SB quite a lot despite (or maybe because of?) his golf bag of swords.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

3 Action Economist posted:

I liked Zenos as a villain in SB quite a lot despite (or maybe because of?) his golf bag of swords.

I really wish we had gotten a bit character who was his sword caddy and actually a fierce fighter in their own right as a dungeon boss

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Concept: Zenos arriving to each of your duels in a golf cart.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that'd be a great 2-up mount too

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I'm a brand new player on xbox and I'm coming over from ESO. I'm only level 8 and still in the starting city, but I'm finding it hard to navigate with the map, as in finding where quests are and my location relative to them. Is this just a me problem? It's possible because I'm bad at games. There doesn't seem to be any way to make a waypoint or anything like that or am I missing something? It's not a giant problem now since I'm just a dumb baby so "go east" works well enough now, but feels like it will not work well enough once the game expands in scope.

Otherwise it's kinda cool!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

1glitch0 posted:

I'm a brand new player on xbox and I'm coming over from ESO. I'm only level 8 and still in the starting city, but I'm finding it hard to navigate with the map, as in finding where quests are and my location relative to them. Is this just a me problem? It's possible because I'm bad at games. There doesn't seem to be any way to make a waypoint or anything like that or am I missing something? It's not a giant problem now since I'm just a dumb baby so "go east" works well enough now, but feels like it will not work well enough once the game expands in scope.

The three ARR cities are all kind of confusing to navigate even after several hundred hours, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. This is especially true if your starting city is Ul'dah.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We call em 'waymarks' and i think there is a way to hotbar the placement function in one of the menus, but i'm a PC player so i'm not sure exactly how.

Also, yeah, ul'dah is really confusing and i hate going there. gridania is better but still sometimes annoying. theres a reason i call limsa home and its not the dancing catgirls

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

1glitch0 posted:

When you have the map active, LB+RB will set down a flag that also shows up on the minimap. If you're on the same map as a quest objective, your minimap will have an orange arrow at the edge pointing to where the objective is, as well. And don't forget when you look at a quest in the journal, there's a map button that will open the map at your objective (mostly), though this may be less helpful if it's in a different zone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quiggy posted:

The three ARR cities are all kind of confusing to navigate even after several hundred hours, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. This is especially true if your starting city is Ul'dah.
I'm not proud of how long it took me to even get my head around Limsa's layout.

1glitch0 posted:

Go through the rigamarole of finding all the aetheryte shards in your starting city. (You can see the ones you missed either from the shard menu itself or on the map.) Not only will this unlock some extra teleport options and make getting around easier, pulling open the map and figuring out how to get from A to B will help you get your head around the city layout a little more easily.

And don't be afraid to ask what might feel like stupid questions. XIV has a lot of counterintuitive mechanics and remnants of decade-old MMO design that don't always properly explain themselves.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 24, 2024

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

BlazetheInferno posted:

Best description I've seen about Stormblood feeling weaker than other expansions was for someone to call it a 7 or 8 out of 10... flanked on both sides by 11s.
This is my general feeling about SB. It's the "worst" expansion but people tend to think that means it's awful when it's still quite good, just not as good as the other expansions IMO.

Stormblood also gets credit for me because to me it's where the devs have mostly figured out the game in general, outside of the story. I think the way zones look, the music, the fights, and the combat in general all got solidified during SB.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

1glitch0 posted:

It's pretty well agreed that the map isn't great and is especially confusing to new players. You do slowly get used to it though and after a little while it's mostly fine, especially if you just unlock all the little aetheryte crystals around the cities to port about.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

gridania has the most sane layout but comes with a distance from aetheryte to market board tax that will matter later. still i think gridania is the most chill big city even if limsa is the coolest. i can't think of a reason why i'd want to make uldah home

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I’m making my way through ShB and there’s some beautiful zone music here. This is juxtaposed by the battle music, which can be generously described as ‘a bold choice’.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Stormblood and Shadowbringers random trash mob battle music really isn't suited to 15 second encounters when they have 20+ second opening riffs. The Stormblood theme gets used really well in a much later side dungeon at least and hey, Shadowbringers annihilates the rest of the soundtrack with endless bangers so fair trade.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bird. posted:

gridania has the most sane layout but comes with a distance from aetheryte to market board tax that will matter later. still i think gridania is the most chill big city even if limsa is the coolest. i can't think of a reason why i'd want to make uldah home

i temporarily bound to uldah aetheryte while i was leveling blu. same with base omicron when i was grinding all that

immediately back to my lominsa after that tho

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Uldah's main aetheryte is in a lovely location nobody would want to hand around at, which makes it the worst

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Uldah's main aetheryte is in a lovely location nobody would want to hand around at, which makes it the worst
Ul'dah's main aetheryte is right next to the Immortal Flames station, meaning it's got the fastest access to both a glamour dresser and the place where you dump all your useless dungeon loot so you can roll the minion/mount gacha.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

bird. posted:

the MB really isn't that far from the Gridania aetheryte, leave the plaza to the east and head north and it's basically right on the other side of the loading screen. Sure it's no Hawker's Alley but it's really not bad

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Brain In A Jar posted:

I’m making my way through ShB and there’s some beautiful zone music here. This is juxtaposed by the battle music, which can be generously described as ‘a bold choice’.

What, you don't love having the sad and contemplative music of Amh Araeng interrupted with ~sick guitar riffs~ because some trash mob happened to spot you?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Navigating Ul'dah and Limsa is why my hub's in Gridania. Their aetherites tend to be placed between points of interest instead of at them, but you're just running across an open space to get there.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

City navigation is part of the reason that at least one of my three concurrent levelling jobs needs to be one that has Peleton.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

Ul'dah's main aetheryte is right next to the Immortal Flames station, meaning it's got the fastest access to both a glamour dresser and the place where you dump all your useless dungeon loot so you can roll the minion/mount gacha.

I meant aesthetically, limsa and gridania has them in places where it's nice to chill.

And yeah, Ul'dah has the best grand company access, Limsa is great for retainers and marketboard but bad for GC, gridania I guess is average access for everything?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ul’dah is my home aetheryte and it really isn’t that bad for market board access. It’s one loading screen away, which is nothing if your game is on an SSD.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Qwertycoatl posted:

I meant aesthetically, limsa and gridania has them in places where it's nice to chill.

And yeah, Ul'dah has the best grand company access, Limsa is great for retainers and marketboard but bad for GC, gridania I guess is average access for everything?

I think gridania has the best inn room access.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think Limsa has the least walking to get to an inn but it's more loading screens so ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Uldah's inn is also very close