Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I have no idea what the ideology of tonight's Masters of the Air was.

Nazis bad? Luftwaffe good? German children good? German farmers and civilians bad? American POWs getting shoved into a boxcar bad? A train full of Jews in a worse boxcar slowly passing worse? (In October '43, when the main period of deportations was over, Treblinka was already closing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
big hollywood remake of salo

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

"Those poor civilians (PS the RAF did it!)" turning into an extremely gratuitous lynching was also deeply weird in terms of the tone being all over the place. A woman pushing a stroller beats a POW to death with a bottle? The American flyer is saved the following day by the loving rural bumpkin Landespolizei.

In conclusion, kill 'em all, Bomber Harris did nothing wrong, I guess?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

they should renake the big lebowski
:yeah:

give me the fish-out-of-water origin story reboot-make. i need to know how the dude got his bathrobe, and whats up with milk, why did he get so into bowling? these questions need answered and only hollywood can provide

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm on the 6th hour of hasan watching this tik tok thread on this woman who's husband was a serial liar. my brain is mush

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I have no idea what the ideology of tonight's Masters of the Air was.

Nazis bad? Luftwaffe good? German children good? German farmers and civilians bad? American POWs getting shoved into a boxcar bad? A train full of Jews in a worse boxcar slowly passing worse? (In October '43, when the main period of deportations was over, Treblinka was already closing).

There's no ideology

WW2 is just entertainment, like Regency dramas.

There will be remakes of Jane Austen novels and retellings of the same WW2 battles until the end of time

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Big Lebowski shouldn't be remade but a sequel would be p fun

Afaik only one person saw Turturro's Jesus spin off and they didn't sound impressed

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
prequel movie young Jeffrey [in the young Sheldon font]

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they should remake Kingpin with all the same actors

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Telluric Whistler posted:

WW2 is just entertainment, like Regency dramas.
If that was true, we would have serious dramas with non-racist/PoC Nazis.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If that was true, we would have serious dramas with non-racist/PoC Nazis.

Ever heard of a little thing called BRIDGERTON chief, champ???????

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

Ever heard of a little thing called BRIDGERTON chief, champ???????
Those are just Englishmen. A real Nazi would not be caught dead wearing Regency era trash.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
wow killers of the flower moon is devastating!!!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

exmarx posted:

wow killers of the flower moon is devastating!!!

It's just about the most ruthless list of kills I think in a Scorsese film. They're all basically just a business transaction in a way more than a mob hit.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Late but the country town supermarket near where I was raised had little kid sized trolleys presumably so the kids can zoom around with them and help with the shopping instead of hanging around bored and/or demanding rides in the trolley.

Lol how culture warriors will get mad about literally anything, but I do find there seems to be a theme of them being mad that anything exists that's smaller and sleeker and not maximised, that anything can be less than maximal indulgence and consumption, that there's any implication of restraint, that the option presented to have anything less than the biggest car or the biggest food or the biggest commute is a conspiracy to destroy them. (Of course, completely ignoring poo poo like shrinkflation usually)

Gonna start calling anything bigger then a Tacoma a Cuck Truck

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

Big Lebowski shouldn't be remade but a sequel would be p fun

Afaik only one person saw Turturro's Jesus spin off and they didn't sound impressed

I saw like 20 mins of it and it was bizarre. Had no idea what it was going for. Just plot points about this dude getting out of jail.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dudes rock

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Xaris posted:

:yeah:

give me the fish-out-of-water origin story reboot-make. i need to know how the dude got his bathrobe, and whats up with milk, why did he get so into bowling? these questions need answered and only hollywood can provide

the landlord's origin story and how he developed his dance quintet. you know, his cycle

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Srice posted:

dudes rock

guys will restore a print of Abel Gance's 1927 historical epic Napoleon with a 250 piece live orchestra before they ever go to therapy

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
I gotcha triptych right here *grabs junk*

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

90 seconds into the Netflix Avatar, and firebending really suffers from the well-known Wolverine's Claws Problem. I thought this in the cartoon too but it's even more stark live action somehow

e: 4 minutes in, wow maybe they'll really just go for it

indigi has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Feb 24, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well, episode one was way better than I was expecting, but they cover about the same amount of plot as the 23 minute pilot. I can already feel the pacing coming off the rails

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
it's funny how the new ATLA is supposed to be more mature but it feels like they nerfed fire bending even harder than the cartoon.

comet empowered fire benders were total push overs. they should be roasting whole city blocks with one punch and they can barely win a duel rofl.

i couldn't finish ep1 it was so bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

indigi posted:

well, episode one was way better than I was expecting, but they cover about the same amount of plot as the 23 minute pilot. I can already feel the pacing coming off the rails

That episode's an adaptation of the first three episodes.

I thought it sucked though ngl.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im watching the promised land and im intrigued by the fact that despite the marketing material calling this movie a western its much more accurately described as a modern antebellum narrative which is to say that its basically a story about how the aristocracy consists entirely of corrupt pieces of poo poo who treat most people in their country like garbage and treat their slaves even worse than that mostly because nobodys even trying to stop them

the main irony of all this is that since the story takes place in eighteenth century denmark and not the nineteenth century united states the implication is clearly that the exploitation in both cases is caused by a political system which prioritizes the arbitrary whims of the wealthy over literally any other possible priority so i can see why this aspect is not being strongly emphasized

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

so im watching the promised land and im intrigued by the fact that despite the marketing material calling this movie a western its much more accurately described as a modern antebellum narrative which is to say that its basically a story about how the aristocracy consists entirely of corrupt pieces of poo poo who treat most people in their country like garbage and treat their slaves even worse than that mostly because nobodys even trying to stop them

the main irony of all this is that since the story takes place in eighteenth century denmark and not the nineteenth century united states the implication is clearly that the exploitation in both cases is caused by a political system which prioritizes the arbitrary whims of the wealthy over literally any other possible priority so i can see why this aspect is not being strongly emphasized
it's a western because it takes place in the untamed danish west, which would only be colonized by copenhagen in the latter half of the 19th century.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

drat my ma saw this once in the 70s at her university film club and never shuts up about it. Big year for me, my mom, and napoleon

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
watching the netflix avatar show (pretty bad), how come they don't call the elements "the elements"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk but yeah it's not good. it's still way better than I thought it would be. none of the kids can really act which sinks the entire venture before it gets out of dry dock. but when they're fighting it's pretty cool, the music is well done, it's shot decently for a streamer, the sets and wardrobe are surprisingly good, and it's well-lit (mostly) for a Netflix show. that could be cause a lot of it is outside so they didn’t have much choice, I guess we'll see. I'll wind up watching it all at the gym/work unless it really sucks poo poo, which is possible.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Maybe we could stop trying to remake the thing that was real good to begin with??? Maybe we could like make new shows in the same setting??? Or remake Korra at least, the show that would benefit from it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Is True Detective: Night Country worth watching?

It seems folks don't like it online, and it is giving me Ghostbusters vibes, where IdPol is being used to defend a terrible product.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Okuteru posted:

I liked it, but it's absolutely got some flaws. Some great performances. I think there's something interesting in the way that it decoheres towards the end of its run. The relevant plot mechanics broadly make sense but the greater metaphysical elements, though unambiguously present from the start, have an ambivalent presence within the narrative. Some cool class/decolonisation elements.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

The relevant plot mechanics broadly make sense but the greater metaphysical elements, though unambiguously present from the start, have an ambivalent presence within the narrative.

Isn't that exactly like the first season then? In that Carcosa and the yellow king are mentioned very early on but none of that stuff actually matters beyond giving the show a slight magical realism vibe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Isn't that exactly like the first season then? In that Carcosa and the yellow king are mentioned very early on but none of that stuff actually matters beyond giving the show a slight magical realism vibe.

Unless I'm misremembering, the first season was ambiguous about whether the fantasy elements were real. In Night Country there are a handful of elements where the fantasy is definitely real, but even so it's not clear whether they're behind several other incidents we see.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Okuteru posted:

It seems folks don't like it online, and it is giving me Ghostbusters vibes, where IdPol is being used to defend a terrible product.

it has a lot of very cool stuff in it but it doesn’t feel like a TD season; constant needle drops and a lot of other things make it feel like just another mystery show rather than TD which for better and worse had it’s own vibe that was consistent at least in s1 and s3. The dialogue is also clunky and inorganic at times which bothered me.

NC didn’t work for me although I wanted it to as a Thing fan. i dropped off after episode 2

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm still mad about the first season of True Detective

Because I feel like there's all this stuff about a wider conspiracy at first and then later it's like nah it was just this one dude. There was a conspiracy around the one dude, but he did all the bad stuff.

The first few episodes of every season of True Detective hints and promises a bigger and crazier world than they ever deliver on. It's like being promised sex and a three course dinner and having that promise fulfilled by a bag of chips and a begloved handjob

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Because I feel like there's all this stuff about a wider conspiracy at first and then later it's like nah it was just this one dude. There was a conspiracy around the one dude, but he did all the bad stuff.

The first few episodes of every season of True Detective hints and promises a bigger and crazier world than they ever deliver on. It's like being promised sex and a three course dinner and having that promise fulfilled by a bag of chips and a begloved handjob

it was def a epstein thread show at first

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

it was never good. only redditor types get impressed by thomas ligotti

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a bag of chips and a begloved handjob

don't share my search terms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Okuteru posted:

It's kind of dumb, but it's fun to watch. It's carried by the two leads, who do a great job with some nonsensical episodes.