Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Its not used in English, why would we want it cluttering up our keyboard?

Well it's not used in any of the Nordic languages but héré ýóú gó. It's used in Sámi :doh:

e: Also, there are loads of words in an English dictionary that do use ´. Are you saying English dictionaries are full of words that aren't actually English, hmm?

(The answer is yes, of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

with a simplé font filé édit you can maké all your émails éxtra réspéctful

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I speak like this ^^^^^^^ out of respect

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well it's not used in any of the Nordic languages but héré ýóú gó. It's used in Sámi :doh:

e: Also, there are loads of words in an English dictionary that do use ´. Are you saying English dictionaries are full of words that aren't actually English, hmm?

(The answer is yes, of course.)

Duh. Its mostly french

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

I speak like this ^^^^^^^ out of respect

Yôû mêân lîkê thîs?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Why have that on your keyboard if you are not a rabbit?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Marcade posted:

Why have that on your keyboard if you are not a rabbit?

I mean I have a §-key and I'm not a lawyer :shrug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seriouspost: Your keyboard doesn't have an ´-key? I used to know the ALT-n codes for a lot of characters but nowadays a lot of computre (i.e. laptops) don't have a numpad. Or does it work with regular number keys nowadays?

Now that I've looked it up and tried different methods, it seems because I'm on a laptop without numpad my original method actually was the best. Unless I switch to US International.

Also I tried one code and it locked my laptop? It's like I almost did a classic Alt+F4 prank on myself.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yôû mêân lîkê thîs?

Yes, I am in fact a Tolkien charåctër.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Yes, I am in fact a Tolkien character.

"You have my axe"
"And my sword"
"Ând my bâstârd kârâtê!"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

When I'm posting about diarrhœa, I'm very likely to be involved in something that makes it not a joke to me.

e: The Finnish word for it is ripuli which is a fun word. Dunno the Esperantoan word for it.

Boringly, it's diareo, however the Malay word is apparently cirit-birit (remember kids, Malay "c" is a "ch" sound). My wife's asleep so can't confirm that's accurate.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Honey wake up, I need to know what the word for diarrhea is in Malay

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Elissimpark posted:

Boringly, it's diareo, however the Malay word is apparently cirit-birit (remember kids, Malay "c" is a "ch" sound). My wife's asleep so can't confirm that's accurate.

If there was ever a reason an emergency spousal awakening was warranted, I think this is it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It should be diarrhëa, really. Or diarrhöea.

Because of the diaeresis, you see.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's used a lot in Icelandic.

Like in the example sentence:
"Tóti Úlfarsson, lýtalæknir, fékk áfallastreituröskun eftir að hafa séð mág sinn Ásgeir Ívarsson, vélvirkja, fremja sjálfsvíg með vélsög."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Modern versions of windows have a window key + period shortcut which brings up the emoji palette, but more importantly every other character you could type as well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sir Lemming posted:

Modern versions of windows have a window key + period shortcut which brings up the emoji palette, but more importantly every other character you could type as well.

drat. Did not know that one. Thanks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mine apparently only has the emojis on there. Sorry, rest of the world, looks like you're not getting any fancy accented letters from me :effort:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mine apparently only has the emojis on there. Sorry, rest of the world, looks like you're not getting any fancy accented letters from me :effort:

Try clicking the omega button

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There isn't one!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

3D Megadoodoo posted:

When I'm posting about diarrhœa, I'm very likely to be involved in something that makes it not a joke to me.

e: The Finnish word for it is ripuli which is a fun word. Dunno the Esperantoan word for it.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/lakso#Esperanto

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

3D Megadoodoo posted:

mindst én anvendelse på Dansk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Lemming posted:

ĤóĽŸ ∮ύͼ₭

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

ĤóĽŸ ∮ύͼ₭

ČóōŁ

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Ch as in metternich or ch as in channel or ch as in charisma?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Karate Bastard posted:

It should be diarrhëa, really. Or diarrhöea.

Because of the diaeresis, you see.

jesus wept

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Diarrhesus pieces

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

poo poo of Diarrhesus

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phlegmish posted:

Nah, dude's just using an azerty keyboard.

Getting banned for that is crazy and shows how much the Internet has changed since 2007, nowadays not using proper capitalization and punctuation signifies ironic detachment.

For a lot of folks it's just how they type in literally all walks of life. Saw a goon the other day talking with complete sincerity about how he never uses his shift key, even for work communications. This was after posting a huge, multi-paragraph post that was noticeably harder to read because periods got lost in the sea of lower case.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

If you are weeping diarrhoea please see a doctor immediately

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Kingo Ligma posted:

If you are weeping diarrhoea please see a doctor immediately
Or a priest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeping_crucifix_in_Mumbai

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sir Lemming posted:

🆒

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

sullat posted:

Hanging gardens: burned down for immortality
Great lighthouse: fell over after earthquake
Colossus: fell over after earthquake
Mausoleum of Halicarnassus: fell over after earthquake
Temple of Artemis: destroyed by Christians
Statue of Zeus: destroyed by Christians
Pyramids: still ticking

cheetah7071 posted:

So what I'm gearing is that Christians are two thirds as destructive as earthquakes but twice as destructive as fire

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phlegmish posted:

Nah, dude's just using an azerty keyboard.

Getting banned for that is crazy and shows how much the Internet has changed since 2007, nowadays not using proper capitalization and punctuation signifies ironic detachment.

It's hard to understate how much you had to be pretty ironfisted to get people to actually use the shift key and not unironically use l33tsp33k back in the day, or various other gimmicks that lose their novelty after half a second and continue to be run into the ground.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

For a lot of folks it's just how they type in literally all walks of life. Saw a goon the other day talking with complete sincerity about how he never uses his shift key, even for work communications. This was after posting a huge, multi-paragraph post that was noticeably harder to read because periods got lost in the sea of lower case.

And you're also incredibly lucky if people use paragraph breaks.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
When I am president of the world these people will have their electronics confiscated and their thumbs chained together.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I know this is just me being me but to this day when I see someone using "u" in place of "you" I can only picture a tiny kind grandma or one of those French kids with the hat and lollipop.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ch as in metternich or ch as in channel or ch as in charisma?

As in channel. And my wife, now awake, has confirmed it is correct.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like if you speak English you should be able to understand "product cosmetic not comestible"

steinrokkan posted:

¿Produto cosmético? ¡Não, comestive!