Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

What the hell is the purpose of cloistering Warhammer media on a separate platform like Warhammer Plus?

GW is very proprietarian about the IP. I think they saw co-opting all the cool fan animators as a magnanimous compromise that would build goodwill, vs copyright striking all of them. "Leave it alone" probably wasn't an option they would take.

Yes the animations are a minority of the content on WH+, but I figure they'd have just left the other stuff in a youtube channel if they hadn't gotten hot and bothered about the animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

what surprises me is that they haven't done a Bakeoff/Throwdown/Lego Masters style show where painters do a series of challengers with one being eliminated every week.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Nobody got a c&d from GW over fan animations it was a completely fake controversy.

What DID happen though was fans harassing one of the animators GW hired so badly they quit and washed their hands of the entire community.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Mike Brooks' latest Orks novel Da Big Dakka is now unlocked and available for download on the Black Library site :hmmorks:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

AnEdgelord posted:

Nobody got a c&d from GW over fan animations it was a completely fake controversy.

What DID happen though was fans harassing one of the animators GW hired so badly they quit and washed their hands of the entire community.

Good grief, who was that?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LashLightning posted:

Mike Brooks has made his way into the Good Black Library Author canon. Brutal Kunning, Orks and Adeptis Mechanicus having at each other.

I just looked at my 40K folder on my Kindle to decide the next book I'd red, had two novels to choose from and decided I'd go with whichever was a Mike Brooks book. They were both by Mike Brooks.

Bonus Mike Brooks interview,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVuM8SBsIpk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fearless posted:

Good grief, who was that?

Sodaz, though GW isn't entirely faultless. GW wanted Sodaz to remove all of their 40K animations from YouTube as part of the deal and Sodaz refused. But the harassment from angry fans led Sodaz to remove the videos anyways and switch over to Halo, Titanfall and Fallout animations rather than 40K.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 24, 2024

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Wow, what a loving bummer. His 40k animations are fantastic.

I noticed a while back that his 40k videos were suddenly wiped off youtube I could only find them as reuploads from other random accounts. I always assumed that it was just GW bringing the cease and desist hammer down.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Having gotten through the first short story and seven chapters in the omnibus of Eisenhorn, yeah, this is some good poo poo. Thanks, goons!

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Kylaer posted:

Mike Brooks' latest Orks novel Da Big Dakka is now unlocked and available for download on the Black Library site :hmmorks:

Also available on Audible.

Let's fuuuuuuuuuuking go, lads!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Warden posted:

Also available on Audible.

Let's fuuuuuuuuuuking go, lads! 'Ere we zoggin' go, boyz!

:orks101:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

:orks101:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Did a bit of actual 40K-style archaeoarchivist diving today. So I've posted a couple times about remembering an :admech: smiley that looked like :science: and being unable to find it, and today I remembered the site eternityofwar, which was an SA offshoot that existed about a decade ago specifically for warhammer stuff, now long since dead and deleted. I think the :orks101: smiley is from there and the :admech: one must have been too. So using the internet archive I went hunting to see if I could retrieve :admech: and, in the finest tradition of the source material, I was unable to, it seems to not have ever been cached.

All I got was

So much lost, never to be regained :smith: This is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope. Forget the power of technology and science. Forget the promise of progress and advancement.

(If someone has that smiley cached I'll pay for it to be added to the roster here)

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Abnett definitely stuck the landing with EATD Part 3. Now bring on Pandaemonium!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Plucky Brit posted:

Abnett definitely stuck the landing with EATD Part 3. Now bring on Pandaemonium!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kylaer posted:

Did a bit of actual 40K-style archaeoarchivist diving today. So I've posted a couple times about remembering an :admech: smiley that looked like :science: and being unable to find it, and today I remembered the site eternityofwar, which was an SA offshoot that existed about a decade ago specifically for warhammer stuff, now long since dead and deleted. I think the :orks101: smiley is from there and the :admech: one must have been too. So using the internet archive I went hunting to see if I could retrieve :admech: and, in the finest tradition of the source material, I was unable to, it seems to not have ever been cached.

All I got was

So much lost, never to be regained :smith: This is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope. Forget the power of technology and science. Forget the promise of progress and advancement.

(If someone has that smiley cached I'll pay for it to be added to the roster here)

When you want something found, you ask a dark age of technology AI Mind.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

When you want something found, you ask a dark age of technology AI Mind.

Hell yes :admech101:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/25/sunday-preview-old-world-reinforcements-and-the-army-of-the-solar-auxilia/

Do you want some new books? Of course ya do! :admech101:

But only one next week, with the special edition of The Hollow King going up for pre-order.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why not just announce when the book is available to buy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
how else they supposed to sell out instantly from scalpers?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

how else they supposed to sell out instantly from scalpers?

Or, bear with me on this, you could sell [thing] all several inward-facing streams and poo poo and then do a thing for COLLECTORS all 1500 at [PUSHING IT MONEY] because. GW always make it seem like WWE are good at this.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Da Big Dakka was a fun romp. Nothing spectacular and you could exactly how it would go, but it was pithy, funny and the reader had a blast. Orks are fun.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
What is the consensus on Joshua Hill and in particular Cadian Honour? In particular I’m looking for good descriptive prose. Is he a solid addition to the BL stable or more like a Haley or French style writer ?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Can't wait to powerwash all that grimdarkness off my dreadnaught later today.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Eh nvm

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Is there any work that goes into the nature of the Eldar gods? Like, is there any lore about their fundamental nature or origin? Most of them are dead and Slannesh busted Khaine into pieces like a c’tan, but they don’t seem to be cosmic leeches corralled into unnatural bodies like the c’tan (obviously). From the outside they seem to be real deal, traditional pantheon-style gods rather than beings so powerful they may as well be considered divine.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Blue Raider posted:

Is there any work that goes into the nature of the Eldar gods? Like, is there any lore about their fundamental nature or origin? Most of them are dead and Slannesh busted Khaine into pieces like a c’tan, but they don’t seem to be cosmic leeches corralled into unnatural bodies like the c’tan (obviously). From the outside they seem to be real deal, traditional pantheon-style gods rather than beings so powerful they may as well be considered divine.

I thiiiink the limited explanation we got from them is they were made by the old ones as a weapon.

More 40k fan animations:

https://youtu.be/xqH7NpkMFrg?si=dP1Ly0stc_5jc5_Z

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Both the eldar and orks were made by the old ones. The eldar gods are an emergent second order effect of the eldar and their vast psychic power; whether they are an intended effect is unknown.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R9PkBpWtAo

I got recommended this one.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Finally got around to finishing Sea of Souls by Chris Wraight. It was basically Event Horizon.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I really enjoyed Sea of Souls. I feel like it's hard to talk too much about without spoiler tags though, because the twist is pretty well telegraphed but at the same time still a very well done twist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have gotten quite a bit of the way through the Eisenhorn omnibus and I think I'm nearly finished with the first novel. I enjoy how Abnett evokes the spehss mureens quite a bit. Humanizing, but simultaneously the opposite of that.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I just finished Vaults of Terra - does that “oh poo poo, the throne!” storyline continue anywhere yet? And are there any other decent books with Dark Eldar in? I enjoyed how unpleasant they were.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Mike Brooks' newest book has Orks versus Dark Eldar.

Otherwise there's the Gav Thorpe books. They are, to the best of my knowledge, decent enough.

There's also a scattering of short stories featuring them. But most of them are from the 00's and scattered through various anthologies from back then.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm halfway through the latest Mike Brooks ork book and it's a fun trip as usual. I'm really enjoying the culture shock moments, especially through Drukhari's povs.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Dark Eldar appear in Abnett's Brothers of the Snake and the Space Sharks book Silent Hunters by Eduardo Albert.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Warden posted:

Finally got around to finishing Sea of Souls by Chris Wraight. It was basically Event Horizon.

I've been wanting to check ths out based on thread recommendations, but I noticed it's "Book 7 of the Dawn of Fire series". Is this something I can read as a one off or do I need to commit to another series?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Sanford posted:

I just finished Vaults of Terra - does that “oh poo poo, the throne!” storyline continue anywhere yet? And are there any other decent books with Dark Eldar in? I enjoyed how unpleasant they were.

Fabius Bile trilogy books have Dark Eldar. I think it’s the second book. The whole trilogy is really good.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
You can absolutely read it as a one-off. From looking at discussions on reddit after I read the book myself, most people were like "well, it's a good story but it has basically nothing to do with the overarching plot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Dog_Meat posted:

I've been wanting to check ths out based on thread recommendations, but I noticed it's "Book 7 of the Dawn of Fire series". Is this something I can read as a one off or do I need to commit to another series?

I think it works as a one off.