Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Converting ok. I assumed it was in addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
E; the post I replied to made no sense until I made a smartass comment and then it cleared up. Win some, lose some.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Legal Questions thread: I made a smartass comment and then it cleared up. Win some, lose some.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

You generally always have to sue civilly for damages, whether the individual or the estate.

'Reparations' are almost exclusively a condition of probation, only by agreement of the defendant, in certain types of criminal cases, but they aren't very common to my knowledge.

Restitution can and is often ordered even in a prison sentence in California. It is very useful because it is non-dischargeable. While the court can punish you for not paying, if able to pay, on probation or parole, once the court loses jurisdiction over you, it converts into a non-dischargeable civil debt.
It is quite common in CA.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
In the Trump case I believe the companies in question are already under a court-appointed administrator so avenues to prevent collection are further limited.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cross-posting this from BFC because I forgot about this thread:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't see a small business thread anywhere so I guess I'll ask here. I'm a tiny business owner looking to hire my first very part-time W-2 employee. I've had a buddy help me for years but he was always happy with a 1099 so I've never had to navigate all this stuff. I've got a local payroll company handling all the payroll, I-9/E-Verify/state new hire reporting stuff and have gotten worker's comp coverage (not actually required for me in my state at my small scale, but I definitely need it). I'm in an at-will, very employer-friendly red state. Do I need a written contract with this employee? Or is saying 'I'm paying you $20/hr, fill out this W-4' sufficient? It's been forever since I had a W-2 kind of job and can't remember what's normal. If contract, is any randomly googled 'free employee contract form' fine? It's like 10 hrs a week maybe, no paid benefits/vacation/sick/personal time. It seems like even if no contract is technically required, both of us signing a piece of paper where we agree that he's getting paid x/hr, no benefits, either of us can terminate the employment at any time seems good just to make sure our expectations match.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ll take the job, when can I start? Thank you Kaiser Schnitzel God bless you I’ve had a run of bad luck lately but I really think this job could be key in helping me get back on my feet.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Offer…acceptance…meeting of the minds…ladies and gentlemen, we have joinder

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
A friend mentioned he’s “pretty much the executor” of his friend and former roommate. Is just assuming the role of executor of an estate a possibility for non family member? It sounded like the kids and survivors were all good with it, but I feel like this is opening yourself to incredible liability both criminal and civil. Won’t there come a point in time when he have to commit fraud signing something or is it possible to just skate through it if no one complains or notices?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

some_admin posted:

A friend mentioned he’s “pretty much the executor” of his friend and former roommate. Is just assuming the role of executor of an estate a possibility for non family member? It sounded like the kids and survivors were all good with it, but I feel like this is opening yourself to incredible liability both criminal and civil. Won’t there come a point in time when he have to commit fraud signing something or is it possible to just skate through it if no one complains or notices?

If you die with no family, no one can be executor of your will, and you get to take it all with you.

Pharaoh discovers this one weird trick. Descendants hate him!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

some_admin posted:

This only works if he has a gold-fringed US flag in his bedroom and agrees to be subject to the law of admiralty.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

some_admin posted:

So what are the possibilities? The will names a executor(the friend), or it doesn't/there is no will? The only thing that matters is that point is what the state courts will decide.

Unless you are saying the deceased family all collectively agreed to let your friend divide the estate in which case lol get that in writing.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Only the court can appoint an executor, if that hasn't happened it's fraud/identity theft all the way down. Financial institutions, title companies, the dmv, etc. won't provide anything without proof of court appointment. Anything he can accomplish absent that through login credentials or untitled documents like cash or personal property is fraud and can be undone.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

some_admin posted:

I'm not a lawyer but probate attorneys typically (if not always) take their fees from the state, and in most states they're capped at a few percent of the estate value. At minimum, they can assist with your friend being properly appointed executor, which makes much of this work a lot easier. If it's a small estate, some states have a streamlined process that a probate lawyer can probably advise on too.

Having been an actual executor of an intestate estate, I wouldn't touch this situation with a ten foot pole without a lawyer.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think I need to figure out how to mention this to him and get it sorted legally. He may have had POA, but I know there was no will.
I don’t think there was much of an estate, no real property, but no matter. I’ll how to let him know he really needs to have this done correctly or he could be on the hook. Sucks, he’s still grieving; they were friends since high school 1969 , roommates for last 17 years. Ugh. I’ll also get him an admiralty flag, got to have a plan B!
No seriously though, I think he is seeing this like he is “helping” by getting it done quickly and “staying out of court”. He feels like he needs to help his deceased friend with his affairs and doesn’t realize the implications.
Argh. I knew it was an issue as soon as the words left his mouth. My SO (attorney) was executor for mom, and I don’t remember anything about it being casual.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
POAs expire at death and this suggests he simply hasn't reported the death to financial institutions, so yeah fraud. Bonus points since most state's POA statutes will make him reimburse attorneys fees to an opposing party if he gets sued for this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

some_admin posted:

Yeah, I think I need to figure out how to mention this to him and get it sorted legally. He may have had POA, but I know there was no will.
I don’t think there was much of an estate, no real property, but no matter. I’ll how to let him know he really needs to have this done correctly or he could be on the hook. Sucks, he’s still grieving; they were friends since high school 1969 , roommates for last 17 years. Ugh. I’ll also get him an admiralty flag, got to have a plan B!
No seriously though, I think he is seeing this like he is “helping” by getting it done quickly and “staying out of court”. He feels like he needs to help his deceased friend with his affairs and doesn’t realize the implications.
Argh. I knew it was an issue as soon as the words left his mouth. My SO (attorney) was executor for mom, and I don’t remember anything about it being casual.

There aren't too many times it is more urgent you get a lawyer then when someone is insisting you don't need a lawyer or trying to keep the courts out of it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don’t know anything, but is there any chance “they were roommates” and may have had arrangements they didn’t want to share with you?

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

I don’t know anything, but is there any chance “they were roommates” and may have had arrangements they didn’t want to share with you?

I doubt it, also long term girlfriend… but who knows. But really though it feels like the mythical “shortcut to save everyone trouble/stay out of probate”. Not a big estate either so hopefully no one gets mad later. Well. I made it known I was concerned, and he should think twice again before doing anything else talk to an attorney. Sheesh. 🙄

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Total hypothetical, as my father is still alive to my knowledge, but would I be able to decline part of an inheritance?

If I got willed both money and a bunch of dumb crap like useless furniture, can I say yes to the money and no to the furniture, or is it all or nothing? Does it matter if my siblings are willing to take the furniture?

Second question, probate happens in the state where the deceased died, correct, even if they have multiple residences? If so this hypothetical takes place in Montana, USA. Or is one residence subject to State A's laws while other residences/property are subject to State B's laws?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

some_admin posted:

But really though it feels like the mythical “shortcut to save everyone trouble/stay out of probate”.

The choice of who is the executor will have no bearing on whether an estate has to be probated. That will depend on how large the estate is, whether it has any real property, etc.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Total hypothetical, as my father is still alive to my knowledge, but would I be able to decline part of an inheritance?

If I got willed both money and a bunch of dumb crap like useless furniture, can I say yes to the money and no to the furniture, or is it all or nothing? Does it matter if my siblings are willing to take the furniture?

26 CFR § 25.2518-3 goes over the IRS rules for disclaimer of less than an entire interest. Severable property is one such category. So yes, if local laws allow.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Second question, probate happens in the state where the deceased died, correct, even if they have multiple residences? If so this hypothetical takes place in Montana, USA. Or is one residence subject to State A's laws while other residences/property are subject to State B's laws?

No, where somebody physically dies is irrelevant. You're going to probate the bulk of the estate where the deceased was residing when they died. You can own multiple homes but you cannot have multiple residences. Like, you can only be registered to vote in one place. Real estate in other states may have to be probated separately in those states. Ideally, an estate that large and complex would have a trust set up to avoid probate entirely, though.

Muir fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 26, 2024

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Maybe.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Classic lawyer answer.
See also: "It depends"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

B33rChiller posted:

Classic lawyer answer.
See also: "It depends"

The real skill in lawyering is knowing when to use the one or the other. And that’s a fact-specific inquiry.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It’s res nova. There are valid arguments on both sides and the caselaw is all over the place.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
for those at home, "res nova" means "generates attorney's fees"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My mom was executor of Dad's will. It took months just tracking down and notifying TIAA, social security, and random other stuff. You're also required to pay all the dead person's debts out of the estate, and if they haven't kept records, have fun.

E: elapsed time, not constant effort.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 28, 2024

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My mom was executor

Did you say "en taro adun"? It's traditional.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

some_admin posted:

I doubt it, also long term girlfriend… but who knows. But really though it feels like the mythical “shortcut to save everyone trouble/stay out of probate”. Not a big estate either so hopefully no one gets mad later. Well. I made it known I was concerned, and he should think twice again before doing anything else talk to an attorney. Sheesh. 🙄

If your friend wants to help, he can totally help whoever the actual executor is (if not an attorney) by doing a lot of the legwork and getting things put together for the executor to sign or make a list of ‘call this bank, here’s the account number, here’s a copy of the death certificate’ etc. My mom was the executor for her father’s complicated estate and the executor for a cousin and has been through the process a few times. She’s currently helping her aunt (who is her deceased husband’s executor) with her uncles estate by tracking stuff down and getting things organized, but not signing documents. It’s a lot of work.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
E: wrong thread, was supposed to post in the secret law thread.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Unless this is going to be a hugely contested and formal situation this is likely way more of a family politics question than a legal question. If you don't want the thing and nobody else does, just see if people are cool with disposing of it with the other stuff that inevitably needs to be disposed of.

If it's worth money there are companies that will deal with it for you and take a cut. If it's not, then paying a junk company is a small cost but you can potentially share that cost if there's other stuff or you may be able to donate.

Like, the thought process here is:

1) if I say I don't want it will everyone just roll with it? If so, cool
2) can I work with these people to negotiate if they don't roll with it
3) if negotiating about it doesn't work is it worth the effort of arguing about it and any ongoing family drama even if I'm right

The only time the legality will matter is if you get to question three and think "yes this is worth the drama"

Then you get to

4) is this worth the time to argue about the legality knowing that if I'm having to argue about the legality it's likely already a drama bomb

That being said, I understand that some families have people where this may not be avoidable, but in that case it's likely better to just take the stuff and dispose of it yourself and not engage with those people, unless there are significant money concerns on your side.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm trying to imagine what inheritance item would be so burdensome nobody wanted it, so low-value that selling it and splitting a fat check isn't an option, but somehow everybody still feels strongly enough about what SHOULD happen to it that one person shrugging and driving it to the dump is a no-go.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Javid posted:

I'm trying to imagine what inheritance item would be so burdensome nobody wanted it, so low-value that selling it and splitting a fat check isn't an option, but somehow everybody still feels strongly enough about what SHOULD happen to it that one person shrugging and driving it to the dump is a no-go.
Great granny's tredle sewing machine. (/collection)

Edit: they're pretty heavy and low$ value, high sentimental "somebody not me should save this in the family" value.
See also: upright pianos.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 3, 2024

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Stuff like that is squarely in the realm that an auction house will happily turn into money for you, though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Javid posted:

From experience: an aging and unruly parrot. It had lived with my grandmother for 40 years or more, all the uncles and aunts couldn’t bear the idea of ditching it or selling it (if anyone would buy it) but no one actually wanted to make space for a screaming parrot that required daily care.

The youngest uncle finally took it, mostly from pressure from the older siblings and because he has lived with it most recently so it shouted his name.

It took ten more years to die.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Javid posted:

Corpses.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Javid posted:

Mahogany china cabinet.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mahogany china cabinet.

And the boxes of "fine china" that goes with it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Javid posted:

boxes of used novelty Christmas ornaments. Extremely "nostalgic", but largely impossible to use because there are so many, and utterly worthless in terms of cash. No one wants to be the rear end in a top hat to say "trash em", but no one wants them either.