Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Seems like the Checkered deck is almost an easy mode where you can climb to higher stakes by sticking to mainly flush strategies, or strategies that focus on jokers that buff spades or hearts exclusively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
holy poo poo. riff-raff (the joker that gives 2 common jokers every blind) can give you negative jokers

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've now beaten all the challenges but 20, which I'm unsure of how it's even possible. Removing jokers from the game entirely is certainly questionable, I guess you just have to get a ton of glass/steel cards?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BabyRyoga posted:

Seems like the Checkered deck is almost an easy mode where you can climb to higher stakes by sticking to mainly flush strategies, or strategies that focus on jokers that buff spades or hearts exclusively.

You want easy mode get Green Joker and the +1 hand size voucher and never miss a flush ever

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I haven't won a run yet though I think it'll be very manageable very soon. That said, what do you guys prioritize early game? I am uncertain which avenues will produce the biggest returns. My rule of thumb is that if I find something exceptional, I try to build for it asap. That's a very bad idea in something like Spire, but I think it is much more reasonable in this.

I guess the most reliable power boost that's rng and run agnostic are planets, but is there any other low hanging fruit you'd consider a bit of a no brainer?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

holy poo poo. riff-raff (the joker that gives 2 common jokers every blind) can give you negative jokers

!!!!!!!!

The purple stake is absolutely demolishing me, not sure how much is bad luck and how much is bad habits from lower stakes catching up with me.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

unattended spaghetti posted:

I haven't won a run yet though I think it'll be very manageable very soon. That said, what do you guys prioritize early game? I am uncertain which avenues will produce the biggest returns. My rule of thumb is that if I find something exceptional, I try to build for it asap. That's a very bad idea in something like Spire, but I think it is much more reasonable in this.

I guess the most reliable power boost that's rng and run agnostic are planets, but is there any other low hanging fruit you'd consider a bit of a no brainer?

There’s probably a more interesting way to play but all my successful runs have focused on getting money to buy arcana and spectral cards and pumping up flushes every time I can when I get planet options.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

If there's nothing amazing, just bank most of your money so you earn interest. You can easily clear the first ante with most starting decks just by aggressively fishing for mid-range hands. Beyond that the best early game power boost are jokers that add generic multiplier; even the basic joker with +4 mult can get you past the second ante. Conditional boosts are also good but aren't necessarily ideal, you often need to build very heavily into them. to make them better than what you can get just from generic boost.

If you see an option to skip a round for a special joker, you should usually take it unless it's going to dump you at a boss that you know you can't beat.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Man earlier I was on a boss and yolo'd my last hand by picking all the cards on the left with three face down and on the flop it was a straight flush. Why the gently caress I can never manage to make those on purpose.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

President Ark posted:

:allears:
riff-raff could be an uncommon card given all the value its gives. it prints a lil money, it makes some useful jokers, its just one of the best cards to pick up early.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

my experience so far has been that the shop spend priority, from most to least important, is:

-getting at least one joker with a multiplier upgrade
-getting a joker that provide income generation (egg is weak, but most other income jokers are strong)
-spectral packs
-holding money to reach 25 and maximize interest
-loose fool and justice cards in the shop (keep them in your consumables until the glass is needed for a dangerous blind or a good copy target for fool is found)
-getting a joker with an x2 or better multiplier upgrade
-filling out remaining joker slots with jokers that synergize with existing jokers or deck composition
-arcana packs
-holding money to 50 in order to benefit from interest buffs if they show up
-celestial packs
-shop refreshes (only as many as allows gold total to remain stable, so usually 1 per round without other income buffs or refresh discounts, 3 or 4 with)

arcana pack pick priority, highest to lowest
-any of the suit conversions that can turn 3 cards into your most frequent suit, lower priority if there are no face cards to convert
-fool cards, if they can turn into another high priority arcana.
-hanged man (every 2 or infrequent suit you can get out of your deck improves flush/face card reliability
-hermit (joker synergies are what win and lose the game, so more money lets you dig through shop refreshes more quickly)
-death (copying face cards in your most frequent suit is extremely valuable)
-everything else is medium

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

TheMopeSquad posted:

Man earlier I was on a boss and yolo'd my last hand by picking all the cards on the left with three face down and on the flop it was a straight flush. Why the gently caress I can never manage to make those on purpose.

hit both sort buttons, the game knows the cards even if you don't and you can use their position in the hand order to make inferences about what the cards are

you can also enhance a card with an arcana to flip it over and see the exact card for a moment

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Got to ante 14 on the big money challenge with a red stamp/steel/Baron build. I really like the challenges that just let you play out the fantasy of starting with a joker or voucher that snowballs through a run.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Out of curiosity what happens if you deck out? Do you shuffle the discard back in or do you lose. I was trying to get my deck thin enough to find out, but didn't quite get there despite some luck spectrals.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

BabyRyoga posted:

I hit ante 13 and I was not mentally prepared for that chip jump. Blueprint -> 40x vampire with level 20 flush checkered deck is just about the best I can come up with for now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gaius Marius posted:

Out of curiosity what happens if you deck out? Do you shuffle the discard back in or do you lose. I was trying to get my deck thin enough to find out, but didn't quite get there despite some luck spectrals.

Nothin' special but it is possible to do if you take max discards! You just run out of cards to draw and your hand gets progressively smaller til you are out. When it hits 0/0 and you play your last High Card you get a standard Game Over if it doesn't score enough.

It's kind of cool that the dev accounted for it regardless!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 24, 2024

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I have now beaten all 20 challenges, the last challenge was just bashing my face into an rng wall until booster packs gave me some god playing cards and having rng cooperate long enough to slowly convert the deck into one suite that was almost entirely glass/steel cards.
Back to playing the normal actually fun game then.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 24, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Bleh, I think I won 1-2 new stakes tonight, but if so it was White Stakes for new decks, and not much progress elsewhere. Oh well, always tomorrow!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I reiterate that checkered deck is a free key to unlocking all the stakes-based decks.

I've won 5 in a row with it on increasingly higher stakes, improving strats on the fly around flushes. I've accidentally unlocked many jokers that require winning in few hands, not playing hands, not using all the jokers (got the empty joker slots are +1 multi joker as a first, then negative jokers to go with him so he was always 5 multi), and even managed a run to 11 ante that was using inconsistent full houses and 4OAKs.

I don't think it's a good deck to get very high after winning the run, but it will essentially carry you to unlocking the other decks.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 24, 2024

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gently caress black deck!!!

Nearly won but whiffed all my discards in a straight deck on the last blind

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

One last run for the night and I discovered the improved Grabber Voucher, the Nacho Tong: Permanently gain +1 hand per round. Didn't win for entirely unrelated reasons, but holy moly this thing seems busted as hell.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

And that's gold down. Actually took me fewer tries than orange. Fun fact: if you retrigger the first face card you play then Photograph fires again for however many times you retrigger it. This is actually my first checkered deck game where leveling up flush was a big part of my win, I rarely bother pumping it up above 3 but since all of those Photograph multipliers happen so early in the scoring getting the base hand multiplier up was crucial. (I did have one orange chip game where I got Flush up into the high teens via the burned joker, but I couldn't find any x-multipliers and died on a lategame Wall.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 24, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Of the decks I own, Checkered is somehow one of two that I haven't won with.

The other is Green, which also surprises me, because on paper, Green looks strong as all hell.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jossar posted:

One last run for the night and I discovered the improved Grabber Voucher, the Nacho Tong: Permanently gain +1 hand per round. Didn't win for entirely unrelated reasons, but holy moly this thing seems busted as hell.

Note: that does not mean "every round your hand count permanently increases by an additional +1", it means "the number of hands you get per round permanently goes up by 1."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

Note: that does not mean "every round your hand count permanently increases by an additional +1", it means "the number of hands you get per round permanently goes up by 1."

I feel like this wording is very confusing and it took me awhile and asking here to figure that out.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Gaius Marius posted:

You lose. It doesn’t reshuffle. Don’t ask me how I know :negative:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Came back from vacation to find out that the full release of Balatro finally dropped. :shepspends:

Apart from the game itself, I highly recommend buying the music DLC. Not only does it support the developers, but the Balatro theme is clutch for any kind of productivity/reading/chilling. :discourse:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Got my first win :mitt:

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Don't take Superposition. It'll tempt you into fishing for the straight that will never come.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
As opposed to the flush that never comes when you have 40 hearts in your deck?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

For deck thinning I had a run where I got it into the low 30s with 95% of the deck as hearts and that joker that adds mult for every heart played. Just pumped up flushes and straight flushes. Easily beat 8 ante with it but it didn't go far in extended. Plus you end up drawing out the whole deck at later antes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I beat the final difficulty! And all it took was prismatic blueprint and every OP joker!

Out of these stuntman is the one that's really just clearly too strong imo.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Finally unlocked the Anaglyph Deck, my favorite from the demo. I think I'll prefer to play nothing but white stake from now on - missing small blind money is just too detrimental.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

And that is the Blue deck completely conquered. Holy gently caress what an exhausting push. I do wish the NG+ stuff was still in where you'd get an extra joker slot for each added difficulty (think I said that before)

I think I'll try the Plasma deck... I also don't think I'll ever play off of White Stake again unless I have to, that was harrowing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

This is so loving sad. Do not be like me and use all of your discards fishing for the perfect flush on The Mouth. Just lock in your hand ASAP otherwise you'll be stuck in a death spiral forced to play only high cards and lose through attrition.

Orrrrrr you could use planet cards to boost your high card score, but you do you. :v:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

C'mon, game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man that voucher is poorly worded. I avoided buying it because it seemed useless until I realized that it's not just a max raise, it's $2 wherever you'd get $1, so even if you don't hit the cap you benefit a lot.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CJacobs posted:

Man that voucher is poorly worded. I avoided buying it because it seemed useless until I realized that it's not just a max raise, it's $2 wherever you'd get $1, so even if you don't hit the cap you benefit a lot.

The Green Deck doesn't earn interest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Veryslightlymad posted:

The Green Deck doesn't earn interest.

LOL I didn't even notice the deck color. Roguelikes!! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Busted combo is busted
https://i.imgur.com/xnYnUXq.mp4

Smeared Joker + Ancient Joker = "What coloured flush are we playing this round?"

Combine with Oops! All Sixes + Space Joker and it's a 50% chance to increase the hand level every time it's played.

Throw in a Green Joker & 3 foiled jokers and you're off to the races!

Until of course you come across this horseshit on the first ante of endless and you get the wrong combo on Ancient Joker :negative: