Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nuebot posted:

Someone upthread said tanks were the equivalent of chargers which could not be right because I think the most tanks I've ever seen at once is two. Two tanks. I've been tackled by no less than five chargers before.

Yeah I think they're more equivalent to Hulks, who are also kind of ridiculous but at least they have a much more exploitable weak spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I tried the Breaker and was thoroughly whelmed, but then I tried a bug mission with it and it's great there. It's good against every not-charger/titan bug type and being able to mag dump a Stalker to get it off you is incredibly helpful. Against bots it can help get the chainsaw dudes off you but most of the basic bots stay at mid range where it takes two shots to put them down and the SMG or Marksmen rifles are far better at cleaning up those groups of light bots.

Also Chargers still suck rear end and are the primary reason I prefer fighting bots over bugs. The only really annoying thing about bot missions are the base turrets just because of their range and how hard it is to hit them properly. Maybe I'll feel differently once I get my own railgun but needing a railgun to make them not suck rear end is its own problem.

e: Like, Hulks are approximately 5000 times more likely to kill you than Chargers but if I have to assault an outpost with 5 Hulks or 5 Chargers give me the Hulks any day.

Darox fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 24, 2024

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Nuebot posted:

Someone upthread said tanks were the equivalent of chargers which could not be right because I think the most tanks I've ever seen at once is two. Two tanks. I've been tackled by no less than five chargers before.

I think the game intends for it to be Hulk=Charger Tank=Bile Titan in terms of equivalency which is why you get 5-8 chargers/5-8 hulks or 2-4 Bile Titans/2-4 tanks in term of spawns.

In terms of effectiveness/threat/hassle then it's different. I'm more concerned about Chargers than I am tanks because tanks are huge, slow and get stuck everywhere.

Flamethrower hulk groups that spawn like 2-3 at a time are the worst thing in the game to fight so it's funny they spawn as often as chargers.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://youtu.be/ZHZd8dGK0vQ?si=wC7cMweONuk_ZQmE

this seems good to know vs chargers

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I love how happy your dude gets if you just let rip and unload a whole magazine into a swarm with a machine gun. It’s nice to see him enjoying democracy

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Quickly tap down on the D pad, don't hold down on the D pad.

There is no team killing or collateral damage, there is only Failure to Yield Right of Way to Democracy.

Democracy always has the right of way, citizen!

oooh i see, thanks fellow citizen

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I think one thing I'm really enjoying about this game that I don't with others is that nobody's managed to datamine the hell out of everything and drop it on a wiki somewhere. It's still early days enough that everyone's experimenting with what feels best.

And it's not a game where datamining everything is necessary to play the loving thing like Escape from Tarkov. You can just have fun in difficulty 5-6 missions with whatever you want to.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yall weren't joking about the flamethrower, what a disaster of a weapon

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

explosivo posted:

Did my friends' first Bile Titan mission last night in dense fog and man the sight of that thing coming out of the fog is just so unbelievably cool.

The Hellmire planet is great for this. During the night it's not all that bad, but then the sun comes up, visibility drops to zero and fire tornadoes are in the sky.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Friend: Lol that charger clipped through the wall
Me (literally screaming): IT'S BACK IT'S BACK IT'S BACK
https://i.imgur.com/VAzzP1w.mp4

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://i.imgur.com/uAQWe2V.mp4
Bask in your success.
But not for long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPuaa08Wt2o
Excellent patrolling strategy.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 24, 2024

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Game desperately needs a 'For Liberty!' button.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A+ jifs.

Hulks are generally more manageable than chargers; the ranged hulks tend to keep their distance and are easy to shoot in the eye, while the melee hulks it's possible to simply blow off the flamethrower arm even if you aren't confident of an eye shot, on top of them being vastly more vulnerable to small arms shots in the rear.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any tips on completing the protect civilians mission against bots on level 7 difficulty? I’ve had a few operations run into a brick wall on this, and am just not sure how to establish enough safety that civilians can get out. We usually end up extracting like 6/40 and getting totally overwhelmed. Am wondering if it’s easier just to find an op without it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kazinsal posted:

I think one thing I'm really enjoying about this game that I don't with others is that nobody's managed to datamine the hell out of everything and drop it on a wiki somewhere. It's still early days enough that everyone's experimenting with what feels best.

And it's not a game where datamining everything is necessary to play the loving thing like Escape from Tarkov. You can just have fun in difficulty 5-6 missions with whatever you want to.

Another factor is that datamining isn't really going to change too much beyond like, the most effective strategies I guess. But if the dataminers found out that somehow the spray and pay was actually the most effective weapon, how many people would actually swap to using it?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
https://i.imgur.com/zdvL8q8.mp4

DarkDobe posted:

Bask in your success.
But not for long.
Love the foreshadowing of the Charger slowly lumbering up to get behind you at the beginning lol

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

tildes posted:

Any tips on completing the protect civilians mission against bots on level 7 difficulty? I’ve had a few operations run into a brick wall on this, and am just not sure how to establish enough safety that civilians can get out. We usually end up extracting like 6/40 and getting totally overwhelmed. Am wondering if it’s easier just to find an op without it.

I've had the most success with speed and turrets. You want one person on each door, hitting the button the second they touch down. Fourth person floats, trying to keep the center of the map clean. Shields and railguns of course, but a mix of Autocannon and rocket turrets, with orbital Railgun and lasers for the spicy times.

There's also an unintended-ish method involving running outside the evac with most people to bait the drops away, with a floater in the down running the objective. I've never tried it, seems lame, but you do you.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

DarkDobe posted:

https://i.imgur.com/uAQWe2V.mp4
Bask in your success.
But not for long.

Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It took me like 2 hours to earn 300 Super Credits.

Anyway, after having done so many of these defense missions on trivial I'm going to go on a limb and say half the problem with them is the map. There's like two major variations of them, one variation has a lot of obstacles and stuff and the enemies beam down at the edges of the map, mostly. When there's a flood of enemies it's still rear end and sucks, but it's a lot better than the other variation where enemies will literally just beam in down right next to the escape hatch and bottle neck the routes used by the escapees.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Finally played a game with irl friends

Once I got cornered by 3 hulks myPC shut off and I wasn’t able to join anyone’s game :v

Then I solo’d challenging mode for some reason and failed every time

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

:tinfoil:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Don't believe their insidious lies:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I like talking to the NPCs on my ship. They have some fun things to say. One lady was telling me the illuminate are just loving gone now, while another was telling me that the cyborgs are around and are working hard labour for their crimes and that its possible the automatons are trying to find them :tinfoil:.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
The autocannon is great but I suck rear end at aiming it

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

jerman999 posted:

definitely recommend crouching and an armor that reduces recoil with the autocannon. it's a beast but that mostly tames it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
First person mode for the auto cannon is absolutely necessary.

Unrelated, but I finally encountered stalkers and I totally understand why they're possibly the most dangerous enemies in the game. I saw a random pubbie in front of me get murked by one and after the initial laughter I realized that I should probably make it my number one priority to hunt down the nest. Also turns out you can destroy nests with the auto cannon which is cool

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

jerman999 posted:

Clearly you should embrace this truth, and live up to the namesake by toggling your autocannon to full auto mote.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Pictured: helldiver has an opportunity to do the funniest thing ever

I was trying to extract with positive requisition.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Owl Inspector posted:

yall weren't joking about the flamethrower, what a disaster of a weapon

Yeah it rocks :flame:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

First person mode for the auto cannon is absolutely necessary.

It really is until you understand the recoil. It's still way more aim-able in first person for follow up shots in first person tho

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do only multiple-mission campaigns count for the "clear 8 defense campaigns vs automatons" task? Tried a bunch of one-mission trivials to see if they counted and they did not.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's a community goal, not a personal one: We as a community need to clear 8 defense campaigns.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Pierson posted:

Do only multiple-mission campaigns count for the "clear 8 defense campaigns vs automatons" task? Tried a bunch of one-mission trivials to see if they counted and they did not.

that's a global order that requires the entire player base to successfully win eight planetary defense campaigns against the automatons, not eight missions/operations

it's also probably gonna fail because five dozen youtube influencers and a hundred thousand poopsockers are intentionally failing countless operations by grinding out the most brainless mission in the game to the exclusion of everything else

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
just point out where the robot super credit bank is and i'll dive it every time

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can't wait until the streamers and youtube optimisers gently caress off and take 60% of the pop with them so the game can just exist as something fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Oneiros posted:

that's a global order that requires the entire player base to successfully win eight planetary defense campaigns against the automatons, not eight missions/operations

it's also probably gonna fail because five dozen youtube influencers and a hundred thousand poopsockers are intentionally failing countless operations by grinding out the most brainless mission in the game to the exclusion of everything else
considering how incredibly small the reward is relative to how long 8 campaigns would take the playerbase even if they were all serious about it, no skin off my back

drop me some samples/supercreds if you want that extrinsic motivation

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can't wait until mechs release for 30,000req

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
oh i guess mashing E on pick ups breaks things, i thought it was just a graphical thing til my samples didn't count

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Booty Pageant posted:

oh i guess mashing E on pick ups breaks things, i thought it was just a graphical thing til my samples didn't count
Specifically it seems to canceling the pickup animation at exactly the same time it starts. Managed to lose some super samples once because someone tried to grab the sample container with them while sprinting and proc'd this bug. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I feel like chargers are over tuned and become a fun-limiter. You must build for taking out multiple chargers simultaneously and very quickly because it will happen all the time and you will get endlessly hosed up if you build for anything else. It's an extremely binary "are you worthless Y/N?" situation that drains away fun by forcing you away from options. Wanna try X? Can it handle three chargers? No? gently caress off.