Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Offler posted:

Charleroi is probably pretty unique in that they've built a couple of metro lines that were "fully completed, but never opened" as seen in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeMJBqU_eYc

This guy’s voice is grating, but some of the places he visits are cool.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This was a few years ago so I don't really remember, sorry. I probably found some equation that used the ideal gas law to describe air pressure and temperature decreasing with altitude, and plugged in negative numbers.

If I have time tonight I may just see if I can retrace my steps but it was all strictly amateur stuff. I'm not an atmospheric scientist or anything.

EDIT: Oh hey here's somebody who actually knows what they're talking about working the same problem:

https://stormeyes.org/wp/2013/12/the-hottest-of-days-on-modern-earth/

Coo—Neat! Thanks!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This was a few years ago so I don't really remember, sorry. I probably found some equation that used the ideal gas law to describe air pressure and temperature decreasing with altitude, and plugged in negative numbers.

If I have time tonight I may just see if I can retrace my steps but it was all strictly amateur stuff. I'm not an atmospheric scientist or anything.

EDIT: Oh hey here's somebody who actually knows what they're talking about working the same problem:

https://stormeyes.org/wp/2013/12/the-hottest-of-days-on-modern-earth/

Yeah, you can see this pretty easily in the Grand Canyon. Theres typically about a 30F degree swing from the rim to the center and thats about 2k feet above sea level. Definitely pro click for those of you who haven't, btw.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Another day, another map.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2018/05/31/u-s-population-keeps-growing-but-house-of-representatives-is-same-size-as-in-taft-era/

Of course the article notes that part of this is from the fact that the US is the largest country in the OECD, and if you do the math on India's lower house, the average representative represents 2.6 million people.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Imagine this were a map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legislatures_by_number_of_members

I am guessing Germany (736) is probably close to about how high you can go in a Democracy since even the current House is kinda unwieldy.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Speaking of unwieldy, read this at your peril: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhang_seat

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2018/05/31/u-s-population-keeps-growing-but-house-of-representatives-is-same-size-as-in-taft-era/

Of course the article notes that part of this is from the fact that the US is the largest country in the OECD, and if you do the math on India's lower house, the average representative represents 2.6 million people.

Sure sounds like there should be more reps anyway

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Overhang seats are neat

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like to think that Pew Research is run by Benjamin Pew from the 2008 music video to Utah Saints' hit track "Something Good".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

India's kind of forced to do it that way. Uttar Pradesh, at 241 million, is the most populous subnational entity in the world. If it were independent, it would rank as the world's fifth-largest country.

:eyepop:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've wondered about a system where instead of having overhang seats/party list make up seats with local representatives (making the final proportions nearly proportional), you just have local representatives but their voting power is weighted by their parties national vote share. So suppose party a wins 10/100 seats, but got 18% of votes nationally. Each of their representatives votes are then worth 1.8 votes in parliament (other parties will have reps with <1 weighting). I'm sure could work with non-fptp systems too

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I have some vague ideas that India probably should've been divided into more than two nations at independence, since it's very big and bigger than it ever was before the British came along as the greatest unifying force in Indian history.

The fact that right now it is ruled by a weird ethnonationalist movement that also jumps through a lot of weird hoops to define a sort of pan-national identity among a lot of traditionally unrelated groups (and as a consequence comes down even harder on the groups it specifically excludes from its conception of its identity) speaks to the problems with trying to get that many people all on the same page.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean India is a federation of 28 states.

Now if all those states were independent it would be treated more like a continent like Europe.

Don't know enough about politics to know if that would be remotely workable. Probably would turn out about as well as if every state in America became independent (at least those all speak the same language)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

India's kind of forced to do it that way. Uttar Pradesh, at 241 million, is the most populous subnational entity in the world. If it were independent, it would rank as the world's fifth-largest country.

:eyepop:

Why are there so many pondicherries?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Now if all those states were independent it would be treated more like a continent like Europe.

Don't know enough about politics to know if that would be remotely workable. Probably would turn out about as well as if every state in America became independent (at least those all speak the same language)

States rights lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

It means New Town basically, so lots of opportunities for reuse.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

:france:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like how there's a bunch of places from Palestine through Türkiye to especially Greece called Neapolis.

Alexander wept when he heard Anaxarchus discourse about an infinite number of worlds, and when his friends inquired what ailed him, "Is it not worthy of tears," he said, "that, when the number of worlds is infinite, we can never visit each one, point everywhere, and shout 'new place' at things?"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

FreudianSlippers posted:

There's a lot of differences between areas of India: language, physical geography, local religious and political traditions, impact of Islam, but there's a lot of similiarities: Hinduism, languages of only two different families, shared colonial history, a historical concept of "India". If you flip the perspective, you could easily see Europe as one big state: most of the languages are basically the same, there's really only one religion, political histories of most areas are very similar, there's a very distinct kind of patriotic racism around the concept of "Europe". Nations are fake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“America according to Algerian school books”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
When u divide ur country into major economic areas but Mexico still be succin

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Texas almost looks about the right shape if you hold your phone at an angle.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It is rather remarkable that there are few major secessionist movements outside of Kashmir, given India's incredible diversity. It's had to make a lot of concessions to get there, though. Not only do the states have far-reaching autonomy, the only reason that English is still a widely used official language in India, despite being a legacy of colonialism, is to appease the fears of non-Hindi speakers, particularly in the Dravidian parts of the country, and particularly in Tamil Nadu.

When Hindi was set to become the sole official language of India in 1965, after a transitional period where it was co-official with English, there was widespread rioting and unrest in Tamil Nadu, until the central government promised to maintain the use of English indefinitely.

OwlFancier posted:

All of those places belong to the same union territory of Puducherry...somehow

They're all former French colonial possessions.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

There's marxist rebels in the east. Though I guess I don't know if they're secessionist or not.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't think the Maoists are secessionists per se, but the people in the mountains of Nagaland where like what the gently caress is an "India" get out of here for a long time

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

What the gently caress is this?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Everyone giving the Norse and Columbus credit for reaching the Americas, but it's actually embarrassing that it took that long considering how close it is to Europe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Norse all got crushed when Greenland crashed into them, so that's understandable.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ras Het posted:

There's a lot of differences between areas of India: language, physical geography, local religious and political traditions, impact of Islam, but there's a lot of similiarities: Hinduism, languages of only two different families, shared colonial history, a historical concept of "India". If you flip the perspective, you could easily see Europe as one big state: most of the languages are basically the same, there's really only one religion, political histories of most areas are very similar, there's a very distinct kind of patriotic racism around the concept of "Europe". Nations are fake.

There really just being one religion in India is a fairly controversial assertion.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

There really just being one religion in India is a fairly controversial assertion.

I don't think I said that

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Platystemon posted:

“America according to Algerian school books”

texas region needs to be a little bigger, especially in the west

otherwise, this is pretty accurate

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I have some vague ideas that India probably should've been divided into more than two nations at independence, since it's very big and bigger than it ever was before the British came along as the greatest unifying force in Indian history.

The fact that right now it is ruled by a weird ethnonationalist movement that also jumps through a lot of weird hoops to define a sort of pan-national identity among a lot of traditionally unrelated groups (and as a consequence comes down even harder on the groups it specifically excludes from its conception of its identity) speaks to the problems with trying to get that many people all on the same page.

Curiously enough, it was the smaller country Pakistan that split a few decades after independence instead. I think it was in the 70s when East Pakistan broke off from the rest of the country and renamed itself Bangladesh. The name change probably came as a relief to know-it-alls and trivia champions everywhere, since they would no longer have to fight the urge to shout about how "that name makes no sense" any time East Pakistan was mentioned in the news. The name "Pakistan" is fairly new, and most of the letters before -stan represent areas in northwest India (or more accurately British India before partition). Punjab, Afghanistan, Kashmir, Sindh. I think i have read both that -stan was chosen to represent Baluchistan and that it's just the usual ending to country names in Persian, so I don't know about that one. All this to say that East Pakistan was a strange name for a country on the Bay of Bengal to say the least. Not many country names manage to be unsuitable both as a whole and when dissected letter by letter.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

To be fair, having a geographically discontinuous country, separated by a not quite friendly neighbour isn't exactly ideal, especially before the internet and with no historical sense of togetherness. (I don't know when hostilities between India and Pakistan began, but I assume it's about as old as the countries).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What was the rationale behind making Bangladesh part of Pakistan and not having them just be two separate countries

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Badger of Basra posted:

What was the rationale behind making Bangladesh part of Pakistan and not having them just be two separate countries

Religion.

The same reason India and Pakistan aren't the same country.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Also the fact that India is sort of inherently defined by it's hinduness also raises the thorny issue of what hinduism really is given that it doesn't fit neatly into the classification of religions that developed in the west following the rise of christianity and islam. Different regions and groups have their own favoured gods and myths and cosmographies that don't always fit that neatly together but everyone kind of just agrees are aspects of other hindu gods and beliefs so everyone can all just get along. It's a bit more like the hellenistic view of religion where you just decide that the egyptian god you've just come across is actually hermes in different clothes than normal so everyone can just keep worshiping and not cause any problems.

e: One of my favourite examples of this is Jagannath who looks nothing like other hindu gods, being essentially a log with a face, and no one is really sure exactly on it's origins. But it is accepted as either a god in it's own right or an avatar of various other gods. One of the theories is that it was a popular local god adopted by the indo-aryans, and that it might have been adopted more than once which is why it's role and identity is so confused.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 24, 2024

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Also the fact that India is sort of inherently defined by it's hinduness also raises the thorny issue of what hinduism really is given that it doesn't fit neatly into the classification of religions that developed in the west following the rise of christianity and islam. Different regions and groups have their own favoured gods and myths and cosmographies that don't always fit that neatly together but everyone kind of just agrees are aspects of other hindu gods and beliefs so everyone can all just get along. It's a bit more like the hellenistic view of religion where you just decide that the egyptian god you've just come across is actually hermes in different clothes than normal so everyone can just keep worshiping and not cause any problems.

Also, even after the India-Pakistan split along religious there are many, many muslims living in India. In fact, there are more muslims in India than in any other country in the world, save for Indonesia and Pakistan.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Offler posted:

Also, even after the India-Pakistan split along religious there are many, many muslims living in India. In fact, there are more muslims in India than in any other country in the world, save for Indonesia and Pakistan.

Yeah, and also the Jains, and Sikhs, and Buddhists, and Indian Christians of various stripes. India being Hindu kind of falls down at first hurdle. Partition was dumb, nationalism is fake. I blame the British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I blame the British.

as a general rule this is a pretty solid plan