Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Booty Pageant posted:

oh i guess mashing E on pick ups breaks things, i thought it was just a graphical thing til my samples didn't count

Should work fine on samples, its everything else you can pick up (medals, bux, req, etc) that immediately is saved to your account that can cause hangups. Samples aren't checked immediately on pickup (hence cheaters being able to manipulate the value) and are just added during extraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Oneiros posted:

it's also probably gonna fail because five dozen youtube influencers and a hundred thousand poopsockers are intentionally failing countless operations by grinding out the most brainless mission in the game to the exclusion of everything else

I guess this explains the level 50 that was intentionally failing missions but extracting with as many samples as possible and saying "no good maps" the entire time?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

bird food bathtub posted:

I feel like chargers are over tuned and become a fun-limiter. You must build for taking out multiple chargers simultaneously and very quickly because it will happen all the time and you will get endlessly hosed up if you build for anything else. It's an extremely binary "are you worthless Y/N?" situation that drains away fun by forcing you away from options. Wanna try X? Can it handle three chargers? No? gently caress off.

Agree, any bug mission on difficulty 4+ you absolutely need a bunch of high armour pen weapons which really hurts your ability to use a varied loadout

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Best weapon for killing a charger is your helldiver pod when it kills you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

JBP posted:

Can't wait until mechs release for 30,000req

I'm more excited for vehicles. I can't wait to chase down my teammates in whatever stupid armored golf cart they give us.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Booty Pageant posted:

oh i guess mashing E on pick ups breaks things, i thought it was just a graphical thing til my samples didn't count

Don't mash E, hold down E and walk around what you want to pick up. I think other stuff that uses the interact button, like 3rd party reloads and resupplies work the same way.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

Specifically it seems to canceling the pickup animation at exactly the same time it starts. Managed to lose some super samples once because someone tried to grab the sample container with them while sprinting and proc'd this bug. :negative:

This might explain earlier cases of trying to collect both cargo crate loots in a hurry, and then only getting a notification for one of them :tinfoil:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I’ve been on vacation for a few days. Is Helldivers matchmaking working yet?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kaddish posted:

It will work, but may or may not break depending on:
* having crossplay enabled or not
* having friends in the party already or not
* whether it's the first game in the session and somebody has left before or not
* Other reasons

But you can reliably get ingame now at least.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Are there any robot defense missions that can be done on trivial that aren't the crappy 'rescue people' missions? I just want to chill and work on the major order.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kaddish posted:

Yes. In Europe anyway. Working absolutely fine

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Fishstick posted:

Should work fine on samples, its everything else you can pick up (medals, bux, req, etc) that immediately is saved to your account that can cause hangups. Samples aren't checked immediately on pickup (hence cheaters being able to manipulate the value) and are just added during extraction.

Nah it's samples as well, I've definitely had a few cases of super samples not registering because I was mashing E while sprinting over them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dunno if it's what you're talking about, but when repeatedly dropping/picking up artillery shells I got bugged and could no longer do any "press E" interactions, and also could not get onto the pelican at the end

-6 super samples

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Had a pubbie squad leader run a full map tagging all the big critters while I'd follow being ACing them. Beautiful democracy.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I finally unlocked the Slugger shotgun and I really like it against bots. Being able to reliably snipe medium armor enemies at range without constantly switching to the railgun is nice. It also forces me to work on my aim and make my shots count. Compared to the Breaker where you just unload the clip in the general direction of enemies.

I'm not sure how it would be against bugs, but it seems like the Breaker would still be number one because of the sheer number of enemies swarming you at close range.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

How exactly does the SOS work vs quickplay vs trying to join a random mission somebody has on a planet? I swear I fail to connect to 75% of the missions when I try to join random people, and quickplay has never taken me to a mission in progress so it doesn't seem related to the SOS.

Also I am crashing about 50% of the time on mission entry in a multiplayer situation which is not fun.

e: I just want to get these drat robot defense missions out of the way so I can go back to doing fun missions.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Are there any robot defense missions that can be done on trivial that aren't the crappy 'rescue people' missions? I just want to chill and work on the major order.

Imo the eradication defense mission is trivially easy on the majority of difficulties. If you get a couple turrets and some sort of heavy weapon then you can just shoot down from the high ground and grind them into paste before they can even get close.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo the eradication defense mission is trivially easy on the majority of difficulties. If you get a couple turrets and some sort of heavy weapon then you can just shoot down from the high ground and grind them into paste before they can even get close.

Is that a bug mission? The only missions I see on trivial and easy are 'retrieve essential personel', and on normal it seems to be 'retrieve personnel and fuel an ICBM' and these retrieve personnel missions are horrible dogshit.

e: wrong mission

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 24, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Please game let me unlock a primary gun with better armor pen, I know one exists, I can be trusted with it.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is that a bug mission? The only missions I see on trivial and easy are 'retrieve essential personel', and on normal it seems to be 'retrieve personnel and fuel an ICBM' and these retrieve personnel missions are horrible dogshit.

e: wrong mission

I don't know if they have them in trivial but if you bump it up to 3 or so then they are usually there, although not in huge volumes because they are so easy and fast that you'd be able to grind out a billion resources off of them otherwise.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
On the robot scientist extraction nightmare missions I've gotten a ton of use out of EMS mortars. They really help buy you those extra seconds that you need to keep the nerds safe on difficulty 5+. If you back it up with the regular mortars, you'll get whole groups that just get frozen and exploded before you ever see them. The big blue clouds are a great indicator that you have some guys to deal with over there, and you don't get snuck up on as much.

Highly recommend!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Shame Boy posted:

Maybe the bugs aren't so bad in this case.

REPORTED

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

bird food bathtub posted:

I feel like chargers are over tuned and become a fun-limiter. You must build for taking out multiple chargers simultaneously and very quickly because it will happen all the time and you will get endlessly hosed up if you build for anything else. It's an extremely binary "are you worthless Y/N?" situation that drains away fun by forcing you away from options. Wanna try X? Can it handle three chargers? No? gently caress off.

I really wish they'd follow DRG's lead on this one and have any weapon able to break armor, just that poo poo like the liberator or breaker or whatever took an entire mag maybe to do so.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kitfox88 posted:

I really wish they'd follow DRG's lead on this one and have any weapon able to break armor, just that poo poo like the liberator or breaker or whatever took an entire mag maybe to do so.

I don't want a PUSH BUTAN -> WIN GAME combination, but it's a very negative feeling when all your rounds ping off, despite it being cool visually.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

I definitely don't think everything should be able to break armor, but I think a lot more of the arsenal should have varying degrees of anti heavy armor.

Like, if the breaker could knock armor off in a single mag, it would invalidate almost every other weapon so you can't go too far in that direction either.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I was fighting some bots on a snow planet just now and saw that at one point I could press x to make a snowball. threw it at a bot which then erased me with a missile. good times

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Shame Boy posted:

Maybe the bugs aren't so bad in this case.

:mods:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
After saying I'd never had trouble on an evac mission, played a hard evac with bots and man, it's a giant jump in difficulty, partially because of these things like hulks being way too plentiful while the bots just keep coming. We won but ran out of reinforcements and evac'd at 0:00 left. We got chased WAY off the mission site at one point and had to like air support the hell out of the area.

Kitfox88 posted:

I think we just need more low and mid tier anti armor weapons. It feels like it basically doesn't make sense to take any of the low to mid tier anti armor options. Like the disposable anti tank rocket thing seems like such a waste of a stratagem slot. I'm kinda not sure what other options there are other than trying to snipe weakspots.

Maybe give us a sticky anti armor grenade that kinda sucks in blast radius or technically has none, but is effective enough at piercing armor that it can take out most armored enemies.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

One place where helldivers is very strong is the interactivity of the targets. The Hulk, the closest equivalent to the Charger, is possibly the most interactive target in the game. You can take out either of its weapon arms with medium werapons to heavily reduce the threat it presents, or shoot a leg to cripple its movement. Any player weapon can kill it via the massive weakpoint on its back and damage dealt here stacks with direct damage dealt to the chassis via AT. Or you can use some weapons to straight out kill it with eye shots, though that requires not just precise aim but usually also not having people shooting at you (flinching from hits makes this really hard.)

The Charger is in comparison really uninteresting. Most of it is heavily armored, except for the tail which almost feels like it's there to fake you out rather than be a practical way of killing it with small arms. Shooting out its leg just kills it, and is in fact usually the best way to kill it. You really can't affect its offensive potential in any way other than killing it. You can shoot out the side armor, but this doesn't do much and is actually surprisingly difficult to follow up on with small arms. I think you still need medium armor pen for the sides even after they break; it's not clear to me. Trying to kill it with direct hits from anti tank support weapons is almost a waste of time, it simply takes too many shots compared to doing leg hits.

A more interactive charger could be a better and more balanced experience. My ideal world charger would have 6 legs. A leg hit from an EAT-17 or Recoilless would blast a leg off immediately - reducing its speed and charging capabilities (perhaps even cause it to 'spin out' if its mid charge) - but not killing it. 2 or even more lost legs would be required to kill it. Its 'head' should be more of a 'sensor stalk', where even small arms can blast it off causing it to be blinded. A blinded Charger would still be able to sense players (technobabble about echolocation), but would have no ability at all to track players during a charge. A hit from a Spear should possibly not kill it immediately, but should at least make it mostly dead and put it into bleed out. The Tail weak point should either be bigger than it is now, or it should be significantly more vulnerable to small arms and be basically a 1-shot from an EAT-17 or RR.

quote:

Maybe give us a sticky anti armor grenade that kinda sucks in blast radius or technically has none, but is effective enough at piercing armor that it can take out most armored enemies.
Impact grenades are pretty much anti-armor already. Try em. Throw em under chargers, or at tank weak points, etc.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 24, 2024

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Impact grenades are pretty much anti-armor already. Try em. Throw em under chargers, or at tank weak points, etc.

:eyepop: I'll give them a try.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Yeah either all the stratagem weapons need some sort of anti armor capability or we need some primaries to fill that role because while it's not necessarily mandatory to bring a railgun on higher difficulties, it's a hell of a lot easier if you do.

e: I like this idea as well:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A more interactive charger could be a better and more balanced experience. My ideal world charger would have 6 legs. A leg hit from an EAT-17 or Recoilless would blast a leg off immediately - reducing its speed and charging capabilities (perhaps even cause it to 'spin out' if its mid charge) - but not killing it. 2 or even more lost legs would be required to kill it. Its 'head' should be more of a 'sensor stalk', where even small arms can blast it off causing it to be blinded. A blinded Charger would still be able to sense players (technobabble about echolocation), but would have no ability at all to track players during a charge. A hit from a Spear should possibly not kill it immediately, but should at least make it mostly dead and put it into bleed out. The Tail weak point should either be bigger than it is now, or it should be significantly more vulnerable to small arms and be basically a 1-shot from an EAT-17 or RR.

Anti armor is so important right now mostly because chargers can be so hard to deal with without it, even just making their tail much more vulnerable to small arms would go a long way to making other builds more viable.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 24, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Darox posted:

I tried the Breaker and was thoroughly whelmed, but then I tried a bug mission with it and it's great there. It's good against every not-charger/titan bug type and being able to mag dump a Stalker to get it off you is incredibly helpful. Against bots it can help get the chainsaw dudes off you but most of the basic bots stay at mid range where it takes two shots to put them down and the SMG or Marksmen rifles are far better at cleaning up those groups of light bots.

Also Chargers still suck rear end and are the primary reason I prefer fighting bots over bugs. The only really annoying thing about bot missions are the base turrets just because of their range and how hard it is to hit them properly. Maybe I'll feel differently once I get my own railgun but needing a railgun to make them not suck rear end is its own problem.

e: Like, Hulks are approximately 5000 times more likely to kill you than Chargers but if I have to assault an outpost with 5 Hulks or 5 Chargers give me the Hulks any day.

Breaker pairs well with autocannon vs. Bots you use it like a DMR and use the Breaker like a pistol if anything closes.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 24, 2024

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Anti armor is so important right now mostly because chargers can be so hard to deal with without it, even just making their tail much more vulnerable to small arms would go a long way to making other builds more viable.

Yeah one game I was in had all 4 of us with machine guns and stalwarts, it took FOREVER to kill chargers and usually cost us a handful of reinforcements.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

wilderthanmild posted:

After saying I'd never had trouble on an evac mission, played a hard evac with bots and man, it's a giant jump in difficulty, partially because of these things like hulks being way too plentiful while the bots just keep coming. We won but ran out of reinforcements and evac'd at 0:00 left. We got chased WAY off the mission site at one point and had to like air support the hell out of the area.

Yeah I didn’t have trouble with civilian rescue missions all the way through extreme difficulty/6, but suicide mission/7 has really made it a bit of a brick wall.

raverrn posted:

I've had the most success with speed and turrets. You want one person on each door, hitting the button the second they touch down. Fourth person floats, trying to keep the center of the map clean. Shields and railguns of course, but a mix of Autocannon and rocket turrets, with orbital Railgun and lasers for the spicy times.

There's also an unintended-ish method involving running outside the evac with most people to bait the drops away, with a floater in the down running the objective. I've never tried it, seems lame, but you do you.
Hm maybe part of the answer here is that I should be a higher level for these, I’m missing a lot of that stuff still. Will see how it feels when I have a few more of those. Also mostly been doing it with random matchmaking and that might not be enough coordination to pull this off.

the unabonger posted:

I guess this explains the level 50 that was intentionally failing missions but extracting with as many samples as possible and saying "no good maps" the entire time?

I think what he’s referring to is just doing single Automaton extermination missions, where you need to kill 150. With turrets (esp mortar turrets) these are really easy to complete in like 2-3 minutes on difficulty 7 and give crazy good rewards for time spent.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I actually like the auto cannon more then the railgun against bots. You can kill pretty much anything with headshots and dish them out way faster… except that it takes your backpack slot and I feel like the shield backpack is SO good against bots on higher difficulty’s that it is hard to justify. So I basically just end up using the railgun against everything which is kind of a bummer. When I branch out I feel a little punished for it as well. To be clear this is only really the case at 8-9 which is where I like to hang my hat. Going down even to 7 I feel like I can kind of bring whatever.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

imho the way to make chargers less obnoxious isn't through changes to the guns, it's through buffing gas/incendiary damage. They already completely ignore armor when dealing damage, the devs just need to make the damage non-trivial and you now have a strong case for bringing incendiary weapons on bug missions

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Grenade launcher has lots of ammo and doesn't require a backpack

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It occurred to me that they are probably going to have some growing pains with how the currency works in this game. Here we are probably weeks out from any new content and months before anything substantial, and while I still have a very good chunk of battle pass stuff to unlock, I'm hitting the point where I'm about to have every strategem, ship upgrade etc unlocked and after that there's really no cap to the currency or even the battle pass medals etc. A guy in my group has played a ton and is just currently sitting on like 300k req cause he unlocked every gem a while ago.

maybe it's not a bad thing, cause I'm not a huge fan of grind and largely just play games to have fun, but it's also gonna seem off if everyone who plays a bunch just has enough funds sitting around to instantly unlock any future content. Even I might get a little bored with that. If nothing else they are probably going to have to add some sort of new secondary in game currency just so people can't unlock everything that drops instantly. Which would also probably tick people off, cause then what's the point of having the other poo poo? I dunno. I do appreciate their mostly generous and non predatory approach to GAAS but also I think it's gonna be hard to balance for future updates.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

it's funny to me that hitting a weakpoint of an automoton tank blows it up about 10x quicker than shooting a charger in the rear end.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good guide to the unlockable weapons and which have armor pen capabilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a good guide to the unlockable weapons and which have armor pen capabilities?

Only weapons that can crack heavy armor afaik is the railgun, spear, recoilless rifle, and EAT and the railgun is the clear winner despite it not being very fun to use (imo)