Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

the dagger is probably the most op pve wep in the game. i should just have a big assortment of every element + quickstep is OP as hell

I’m running around as a shirtless wretch with a shamshir and blue dancer charm spinning and twirling, hooting and hollering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

alarumklok posted:

I liked advent children because the one winged angel cover is cool

I can’t deny this but why are we hearing one winged angel in this game anyway?

If you take the game in the context of the original, the Sephiroth scenes are all cringey shoehorned-in fanservice. And if you want to ignore that context and “take it as a single game to enjoy or not” then Sephiroth makes ZERO sense whatsoever, like what the gently caress is this guy’s deal.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

Your little brother hosed up your save.

i wish. it's not even like i just lost progress, i have a card edition i didn't have before, and the ones i did have are gone. same for some blinds and jokers.

it's stupid to care about for a game like this but it kinda killed my sense of investment in unlocking poo poo if it can just vanish between sessions.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

cool av posted:

I can’t deny this but why are we hearing one winged angel in this game anyway?

If you take the game in the context of the original, the Sephiroth scenes are all cringey shoehorned-in fanservice. And if you want to ignore that context and “take it as a single game to enjoy or not” then Sephiroth makes ZERO sense whatsoever, like what the gently caress is this guy’s deal.

:mad:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Chard posted:

i wish. it's not even like i just lost progress, i have a card edition i didn't have before, and the ones i did have are gone. same for some blinds and jokers.

it's stupid to care about for a game like this but it kinda killed my sense of investment in unlocking poo poo if it can just vanish between sessions.

This means that you are the little brother.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the sephiroth stuff in the original was fine imo and p much established him as, you know, a final fantasy villain. I think the scene with the giant snake stuck on the tree in his wake was particularly good. he just has a really weird intense fanbase that grew up around him that none of the other series villains really did, because he's an edgy longhaired anime man with a huge katana

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

animan

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Buck Wildman posted:

the sephiroth stuff in the original was fine imo and p much established him as, you know, a final fantasy villain. I think the scene with the giant snake stuck on the tree in his wake was particularly good. he just has a really weird intense fanbase that grew up around him that none of the other series villains really did, because he's an edgy longhaired anime man with a huge katana

yeah. in the original you don't even see the guy until after midgard so stuff like him wrecking shinra HQ offscreen and the midgar zolom work really well to build him up as a badass. in the remake you already fight and beat him on the way out of town, completely deflating the tension.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

meh I thought the final fight in the remake was a lot of fun and the people demand sephiroth so you knew he was gonna show up

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

everyone glossing over the best part of the remake which was the dance party at the honey bee inn

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Remake's overuse of Sephiroth was one of it's big shortcomings imo but at the same time it'd be really weird to not have him in the FF7 remake just because it covers the part of the game he's not in at all. Imagine the motorcycle boss or Rufus being the final boss, lol

my_custom_username has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Feb 24, 2024

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Buck Wildman posted:

everyone glossing over the best part of the remake which was the dance party at the honey bee inn

It is

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i demand more dance numbers in FF7R-2

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I absolutely would have been satisfied with Super Roche fighting you alongside motor ball as the final boss that would've been incredible

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Buck Wildman posted:

I absolutely would have been satisfied with Super Roche fighting you alongside motor ball as the final boss that would've been incredible

how about like the third time you fight the Turks and they just sorta gently caress off after taking some damage, instead of fighting to the death like mindless RPG baddies?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I’m running around as a shirtless wretch with a shamshir and blue dancer charm spinning and twirling, hooting and hollering

and what are yo udoing in the game

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
what does the remake cover again? from the bottom of the staircase at the MAKO reactor all the way to the robot fight?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al! posted:

what does the remake cover again? from the bottom of the staircase at the MAKO reactor all the way to the robot fight?

end of the highway robot fight yeah

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Al! posted:

up to the end of disc 1 in the original, when you reach the world map

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

part 2 is supposedly goes up until the ancient city i think a dev mentions it in an interview so its not a spoiler

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i got the feeling ReBirth will pull a Chrono Trigger and have Cloud be incapacitated in some way towards the end and Zach takes over for a bit.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
there were parts on Remake I agree were just filler but some of that was stuff I really thought was great, particularly going to jessie's house. legit thought this was a great chapter that expanded on the world by letting you see how the PMC in Midgar live, added to Jessie's character, moved the plot along, really liked it

Did NOT like the sewer since it did none of those things

Stefan Prodan has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Feb 24, 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the effort the remake made to humanize Barret and not make him such a goofy caricature anymore was one of the things I most appreciated. his scene in front of Aerith's house was one of my favorites in the game and it's unfortunate I bet a lot of folks missed it because of the approval gimmick

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if anyone needs to be plvld in last epoch msg me in game. free service for friends and family

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Lpzie posted:

if anyone needs to be plvld in last epoch msg me in game. free service for friends and family

ty for your service

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Have to turn on bright nights for pacific drive. I can't see a loving thing even with a flashflight.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

but yeah indie is about as broad a range as "microbrew" which still means up to # million barrels of beer a year which can either be a loving insane amount or just a tiny pub. in this case, being self-published is enough to count as an indie label because that's about the definition as you can get. but also games that arent (i.e. devs using DigitalDevolver/Focus/etc) are also still considered indie. it's basically just defined as not-AA(A) corporation

if you're geoff keighley even that doesn't matter, you count as indie even if you're bankrolled by nexon.

Popy posted:

i got the feeling ReBirth will pull a Chrono Trigger and have Cloud be incapacitated in some way towards the end and Zach takes over for a bit.

that technically happens in disc three lol but I can see them pulling an end of game stinger scene with zach showing up and joining the party to forshadow this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Luigi mansion 2 is being released onto the switch for $60 lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

you’re going to buy it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Not me. I sold my switch and 3 games

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Luigi deserves your money and your respect

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Luigi mansion 2 is being released onto the switch for $60 lol

lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thousand year door is also being re-released at $60.

Way too much for both those games.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mario vs Donkey Kong also released recently for $50, maybe it's because I personally don't have any interest in these games so I'm not the one who is burned but I honestly have to admire it. They're the #1 developer around, have been for awhile, and their prices reflect that even when it makes zero sense.

Even if you know all of this going on they'll still get you too. Was $60 ridiculous for the Link's Awakening remaster? Absolutely. Was it a delightful 12 hours of charming fun? Also absolutely. Was it perfectly priced so that I felt it was too much for what I got but also not anything completely ridiculous because of all the times I spent that much money on a game that ended up being basically unplayable? Again, absolutely.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The price of a movie with the family for three times as much content if not more and none of your money is going to Hollywood weirdos.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why’d they decide to port the worst Luigi’s Mansion game instead of the best one?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Augus posted:

why’d they decide to port the worst Luigi’s Mansion game instead of the best one?

Because 3 is already on the Switch

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Buck Wildman posted:

it was cringe imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Mario vs Donkey Kong also released recently for $50, maybe it's because I personally don't have any interest in these games so I'm not the one who is burned but I honestly have to admire it. They're the #1 developer around, have been for awhile, and their prices reflect that even when it makes zero sense.

Even if you know all of this going on they'll still get you too. Was $60 ridiculous for the Link's Awakening remaster? Absolutely. Was it a delightful 12 hours of charming fun? Also absolutely. Was it perfectly priced so that I felt it was too much for what I got but also not anything completely ridiculous because of all the times I spent that much money on a game that ended up being basically unplayable? Again, absolutely.

Lol