Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Janissary Hop posted:

Being authorized to do something is a lot different from actually doing it in practice, even if the authorization comes from throne daddy himself. Everyone knows you're authorized to have an eldar waifu, but it doesn't stop the inquisitor from threatening to jail you or the dogmatic trader from threatening to burn you or your own citizens and nobles from recoiling in horror.
That's what the seraglio decks are for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Arglebargle III posted:

Noooo my little robot men! Does this mean no battle tech sequel?

Yes, any new BTech is fully kaput. I can't pull up the specific reply right now, but they've talked about it being over. BTech 2 got pitched and rejected because at Paradox it required too many players, and presumably Microsoft isn't interested in working with a Seattle indie on a new BTech title, which is what Harebrained is now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lamplighter's League just didn't perform well enough. I think paradox really dropped the ball on PR, but sales are sales.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

wiegieman posted:

Lamplighter's League just didn't perform well enough. I think paradox really dropped the ball on PR, but sales are sales.

Paradox forced mass layoffs at HBS months before Lamplighter's League released and shoved the game out the door to die in an extremely busy release window.

Game wasn't great and probably wouldn't have done big numbers even in an ideal scenario, but HBS was already gut shot and bleeding out by Paradox before LL even came out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aramoro posted:

I respeced Ulfar and instantly regretted it after clicking approx 15 thousand buttons to get him back to lvl 45. Didn't bother with the other ones.

Then went to kill the Space Marines and Lord of Change and it was still pretty trivial. The Lord of Change had 6000 hp so I assumed there was a gimmick to the fight. The gimmick turned out to be overwhelming bolter fire.

It's feels like everyone is operating on different scales. Bad guy has 6000 hp and hits for 4-6 damage, sometimes in a big hit 40. My dudes have like 100 hp and burst fire for 500+ damage multiple times a round.

There's more then a few fights in act 2 and beyond where lasting 4+ rounds means you can't win just from the sheer amount of damage the enemy can deliver. The surprise hellbrute fight on the drifting voidship has its own gimmick of "spread everyone out to every corner of the room" since it gets free autoattacks against literally every single hit delivered. At that point past a certain number of attacks you would be dead even in the best rng scenarios.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That one encounter is such bullshit. The big Doomsday hellbrute isn't even the hard part. There are like six loudspeakers in a couple of encounters that go early and give massive buffs to every enemy and aren't likely to be killed in a single attack either way.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

That's what the seraglio decks are for!

I mean, my Dogmatic's solutions for the each, in order, were:

1. Have her dutiful son Nomos unravel the guy's constituent particles. Nomos is a good son and believes in the Emperor, which immediately makes him a better bet than Calcazar's heretical scheme. And as Calcazar said, it's only heresy if I lose. :smug:
2. Enforce regime change via regicide and install her own cult leaders who will not cull 3/4 of the population and eat brains out of someone's skull. Chorda was obviously a sneeze away from heresy herself.
3. Any other malcontents can get a nice, all expense paid trip through the warp without the shutters closed so they can spend quality time reevaluating whether joining forces with aliens who ALSO want to kill the horror show outside the windows is actually a problem or not. Assuming they don't go mad in the process, anyway.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

wiegieman posted:

I've never heard of this. Alternate universe 1930s occult tactical game does not sound like a slam dunk pitch, especially if there's no marketing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kanos posted:

Paradox forced mass layoffs at HBS months before Lamplighter's League released and shoved the game out the door to die in an extremely busy release window.

Game wasn't great and probably wouldn't have done big numbers even in an ideal scenario, but HBS was already gut shot and bleeding out by Paradox before LL even came out.

Yeah, it's a repeating pattern. They hosed over obsidian with tyranny, which is still their best.game, and now they've done the same with HBS. I hope harebrained can recover, they're one of my favorite studios.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

wiegieman posted:

I hope harebrained can recover, they're one of my favorite studios.

It actually does sound like, post-layoffs, they're bringing some folks back under the independent HBS and they're actively working on their New Thing.

https://twitter.com/WeBeHarebrained

Mike McCain returns posted:

Mitch’s departure does leave some big shoes to fill on our team, though. That’s why I am pleased to announce that Mike McCain has rejoined the studio as Executive Producer.

Mike was the Game Director on BATTLETECH and Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Since he left the studio in late 2019 he has worked on some of the most exciting projects in animation. He’s done visual development for Netflix’s Blue-Eyed Samurai and Sony’s Across the Spiderverse. He also Art Directed the Academy Award-winning The Boy, The Mole, The Fox, and the Horse. Now he’s back here to help us navigate the transition to indie studio again.

Andrew McIntosh site interview posted:

I’m not going to let you get into specifics, but what are you excited about what we’re working on right now?

I'm extremely excited about the universe we're building, and the many strange beings we're populating it with. It feels like a fresh spin on concepts that long-time HBS fans are going to love, with a narrative full of player-driven choice. That choice-driven narrative and the game's mechanics intertwine beautifully with one another, and I think it's a great display of how narrative can amplify gameplay through stakes and context.

We're still in the early days of the project, so that's all I can say at the moment. But I honestly can't wait to share more!

Anyway, to lead this back to topic, this is why I'm glad Owlcat hasn't been tied to a specific publisher. Oleg and Alex put up with enough shenanigans like that back in their Nival days.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The people loved my iconoclastic rear end in my playthrough. The noble houses not so much But after some deep, intentional soul searching I discovered that I don't give a poo poo what their opinion is if their last name isn't Werserian.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The people love me in my Chaos run, because I demand they worship me as a god.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Say, did they update Toybox for the new build yet?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

There's more then a few fights in act 2 and beyond where lasting 4+ rounds means you can't win just from the sheer amount of damage the enemy can deliver. The surprise hellbrute fight on the drifting voidship has its own gimmick of "spread everyone out to every corner of the room" since it gets free autoattacks against literally every single hit delivered. At that point past a certain number of attacks you would be dead even in the best rng scenarios.

Yeah the pacing and general encounter design is awful. It's all over the shop. The encounter with the Chaos Sorcerer, Space Marines and Lord of Change was such a non event as they couldn't hit anyone and when they did it did no damage. I think the LoC did around 100 damage total in the fight.

Whislt the Hellbrute downed 2 of my party before succumbing to bolter fire. It feels like his attack after every attack was bolted on to make the encounter challenging in any sort of way because of the fundemental problems with the system design.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nessus posted:

Say, did they update Toybox for the new build yet?

Within a few hours.
https://github.com/xADDBx/ToyBox/releases

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

They ought to make a ui for multiple level ups. "pick 3 attribute advances" "pick 7 talents" etc, all in one go.

There are some minor concerns, like prerequisites and talent selections that are limited to a subset (like common talents), but on the whole it's a change that's needed to take an element that people flock to Owlcat games for, the character building, and stop it from being an exhausting chore.

Bonus points if I never again have to level up six characters at once either.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Griddle of Love posted:

They ought to make a ui for multiple level ups. "pick 3 attribute advances" "pick 7 talents" etc, all in one go.

There are some minor concerns, like prerequisites and talent selections that are limited to a subset (like common talents), but on the whole it's a change that's needed to take an element that people flock to Owlcat games for, the character building, and stop it from being an exhausting chore.

Bonus points if I never again have to level up six characters at once either.

Leveling up is a massive chore and seems to be largely pointless after a certain point. Like halfway round the wheel you have all the good choices so then you're picking the ones you've already rejected multiple times. There are very few prerequisites on skills so it's not like a skill tree.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, by the time I hit exemplar levels and it brought me back to picking previous archetype talents, there were maybe a couple I wanted from each , and it mattered more to the psykers picking a few things overall.
Though I guess it was fun having Ulfar max ranged and melee arch militant poo poo

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I left the game to cook for a bit and it seems like a lot has changed in terms of balance.

What is the current premiere ranged Psyker build? Seems like the archtype has always been heavily oriented to melee and the build that used to do solid range DPS (Purge Soul/Word of Emperor) is far from where it was.

Anything popping off that I don't know about?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I did biomancy staff spam with an arch militant. Telepathy or just the lightning stick is probably just as good.

Be soldier-Arch, and blow all your free turn stuff on mind bullets or lightning.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Xun posted:

Are there any reasonable build guides out there? I love Pasqal but I cannot figure out a good feeling build for the poor guy.

Also I stuck Cassia on grand strategist and I'm not sure if that was a good move, but it's not like I'm using any AP on non psyker stuff anyway

Cassia makes an excellent GS especially if your other GS is Int based because GS zones take the highest of all GS Int and Fellowship for their effects.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Cassia makes an excellent GS especially if your other GS is Int based because GS zones take the highest of all GS Int and Fellowship for their effects.

Unless you have a Voidborne Be Smart GS. :eng101:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jack Trades posted:

Unless you have a Voidborne Be Smart GS. :eng101:

I don't think that's the case? You're talking about the talent that lets you use Int instead of Fel on most rolls, right? The GS stuff doesn't benefit from that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

I don't think that's the case? You're talking about the talent that lets you use Int instead of Fel on most rolls, right? The GS stuff doesn't benefit from that.

I'm pretty sure it uses your Int twice unless the last patch changed something.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

wiegieman posted:

I just don't think there's enough of a market for turn-based games that incorporate stealth. I loved X-Com and Midnight Suns but I played Invisible Inc for an hour and refunded it, and the stealth stuff put me off looking at Lamplighter's League. It's a small enough market as-is, and I think when you fragment it by adding other elements you risk just not leaving yourself enough people to sell to. Poor Midnight Suns was great but I think Marvel Burnout + card game turned off enough of what would have been their market.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If I had like a billion dollars I'd probably help fund Harebrained to get them their licenses permanently. Just such a shame to see them lose out on the chance to make cool poo poo.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Coming back to this game after the big patch and I've forgotten how some mechanics work. Is triggering an exploit the same as removing an exploit? For example if I use analyse enemies I add exploits. If I then use remove weakness it removes the exploits for a bonus. Or is triggering the exploit some other thing I forgot about?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Goofballs posted:

Coming back to this game after the big patch and I've forgotten how some mechanics work. Is triggering an exploit the same as removing an exploit? For example if I use analyse enemies I add exploits. If I then use remove weakness it removes the exploits for a bonus. Or is triggering the exploit some other thing I forgot about?

I haven't actually counted to confirm but I always assumed that triggering exploits refers to attacking an enemy with exploits and getting the +INT bonus damage, which removes 1 exploit per attack.

It's probably a case of inconsistent translation where trigger and remove are meant to be the exact same thing.

Honestly I don't know about how to best manage exploits for damage. Up until late Act 3 where heavy bolter Argenta clears rooms in a single round all I used it for was using Tactical Knowledge for that %armor bonus early rounds, and then just stacking ~10 exploits on the boss before hitting it with expose weakness.

Joint Analysis stopped being useful not too long after I got it, and Precise attack doesn't matter even for Yrilet as her accuracy is so insanely high anyways besides most of the time the enemies are rushing you not turtling in heavy cover.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just finished it. Final thoughts:

It was a little unfortunate I started this right after Baldur's Gate 3. That game was so well crafted, written and balanced. Still, the jankiness of RT had a certain charm. The maps lacked variety early on so it was nice when I finally arrived on Janus and saw a bit of greenery.

The levelling system is bad. Too many levels, too many choices, too much reading. BG3 gave me a little dopamine hit when I saw the level up icon. Competing a mission in RT and seeing multiple characters who stayed on the ship now have a half dozen levels to go through just made me put the game down for the day. The characters I used less often got a very "whatever" choice of upgrades because it was a chore.

Similarly, inventory management was cumbersome. Not having a traditional trade mechanic means you can't just arrange by most valuable and ignore/scrap anything below the first few rows.

The big patch a little while ago happened when I was nearly at the end and boy did it nerf my crew. The final boss is insanely spongy and without my old powers it took hours to beat him, what a tedious slog. I agree a rebalance was needed. I'm not sure if it was done well as I played so little of the game post-patch.

Overall I enjoyed it. Basic gameplay loop was fun. The characters and story telling were good enough to keep me interested and I was satisfied with the ending I got.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bitterandtwisted posted:

The levelling system is bad. Too many levels, too many choices, too much reading. BG3 gave me a little dopamine hit when I saw the level up icon. Competing a mission in RT and seeing multiple characters who stayed on the ship now have a half dozen levels to go through just made me put the game down for the day. The characters I used less often got a very "whatever" choice of upgrades because it was a chore.

This might be a 'different strokes for different folks' situation; I found BG3's level up system too basic, the upgrades too samey. RT having a whole bunch of class-unique upgrades keyed to different attributes was much better suited to my tastes. That said, it's good to see you had a good time with the game!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think there's a happy medium to hit. BG3's level up system is so bare bones that it almost feels vestigial for a lot of classes; like half the classes in the game have whole rear end empty levels where they get nothing of note besides a few numbers going up. Rogue Trader's system is a labyrinthine mess with an absolutely horrific UI that will quickly reduce most people to cross-eyed confusion - it's probably an indicator that poo poo's a little hosed when 80% of your ability icons are just the first letter(s) of the perk name on a blank button.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

WotR nails it for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

The levelling system is bad. Too many levels, too many choices, too much reading. BG3 gave me a little dopamine hit when I saw the level up icon.

:chloe:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

CommissarMega posted:

This might be a 'different strokes for different folks' situation; I found BG3's level up system too basic, the upgrades too samey. RT having a whole bunch of class-unique upgrades keyed to different attributes was much better suited to my tastes. That said, it's good to see you had a good time with the game!

Same. BG3 is on another level but I didn't like a lot of concepts from there. Levelling up specifically felt lacking both choice and impact. Same for Pathfinder really, in all of these games it felt to me like my choices are tricky questions determining how close to a perfect build for my class am I. Not to mention the giant trap of multiclassing.

RT does have too many levels though. I though it will slow down after the tutorial but I'm in a middle of act 2 and I still get levels every couple of fights and I don't have time to get used to new stuff my characters got. I could probably live with fewer passive and active abilities for each character.

Also the UI in general is bad and levelup UI begs for replacement in a form of tree - not Diablo style but rather Windows Explorer folder view maybe.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CommissarMega posted:

I have to wonder if this is maybe by design, so you have your wizards and bards and whatever who are making difficult choices every level, and then you have one or two characters who you just click OK number go up by 1, so you're not faced with 4 complicated sets of level-ups every time your party gets enough experience. I played Mask of the Betrayer with a custom PrC pack and everyone in my party was a complex, multi-prestiged nightmare every time the level up button came up. It was fun, but almost too much to manage.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Phenotype posted:

I have to wonder if this is maybe by design, so you have your wizards and bards and whatever who are making difficult choices every level, and then you have one or two characters who you just click OK number go up by 1, so you're not faced with 4 complicated sets of level-ups every time your party gets enough experience.

Eh, I'd stick to my idea it's a personal taste issue- I'm certainly way too grognardy for my own good, as I found even the more complex BG3 classes you mentioned above to be way too simplistic for my tastes. The only difficulty I experienced with those classes was discovering that metamagic was apparently a Sorceror-only thing. Levelling malaise/boredom is the same issue I experienced with Solasta, so it's probably an issue I'd have with D&D 5e if I ever played it for real.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 24, 2024

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

The issue with RT leveling is mostly that each Tier comes with new and interesting choices for a bit, and then you get increasingly less exciting levels as you pick through the list for your fourth or fifth choice for a given talent bucket.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I have to wonder if this is maybe by design, so you have your wizards and bards and whatever who are making difficult choices every level

I just want to point out that Wizards in BG3 are not making any meaningful choices on levelup at all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I only played the intro section of RT and yeah, I felt there were too many level ups in general, though hopeful that would slow down past the very start. Shame it doesn't, I guess.

Also yeah, DnD 5E levelling up is pretty anemic. It is legit impressive how great a game BG3 is despite being saddled with that system. I'd also prefer games to be in a happy medium between the full clunkcore of Pathfinder/Rogue Trader and the way way way too simplicity of DnD.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I really really want to be able to respec from specific levels because goddamn if I realize I dont like a choice I made 2 levels ago I need to start from the very beginning and hope I remembered to write down what I picked before. It just feels really hard to experiment because it's such a pain