Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve French posted:

the fun is actually in buying new skis, believe it or not

see, now I want new skis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Made it to SLC and finally got to bed just after 2am last night. Bought a 3 day superpass which is good for Solitude, Brighton, Snowbird, and Alta. It was puking on Solitude today. Nearly all terrain open. So good. So tiring. Found some bottomless turns on Cathedral Cirque. Milk Run & Headwall were great. Found some good stashes in Honeycomb Canyon.

Was loosely planning on night skiing on Brighton but we're tired from lack of sleep. Hitting Snowbird tomorrow. Forecast is for sun. 3rd day is still up in the air, might split from the two criminals and hit Alta with another skiier, but not sure.

Also, the roads in this city are horrible. Just terrible.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

stratdax posted:

Made it to SLC and finally got to bed just after 2am last night. Bought a 3 day superpass which is good for Solitude, Brighton, Snowbird, and Alta. It was puking on Solitude today. Nearly all terrain open. So good. So tiring. Found some bottomless turns on Cathedral Cirque. Milk Run & Headwall were great. Found some good stashes in Honeycomb Canyon.

Was loosely planning on night skiing on Brighton but we're tired from lack of sleep. Hitting Snowbird tomorrow. Forecast is for sun. 3rd day is still up in the air, might split from the two criminals and hit Alta with another skiier, but not sure.

Also, the roads in this city are horrible. Just terrible.

Yeah this current storm cycle has been really nice. Followed ski patrol as they opened AMF on Snowmass yesterday and it was thigh deep blower top to bottom. Best run of my season yet.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

new split arrived today. I have a volume shifted addiction. I'm hoping it skins well being this short and wide.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Breck was super sick today. Did 3 peak 6 hikes and it was deep and steep. Colorado is just firing ever since the second weekend in January.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tell me you’re middle aged without telling me you’re middle aged. They live came out in 1988.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Clearly a Duke Nukem 3D fan. So just early middle aged.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Crested Butte was gorgeous today!

The lines were not.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

"Purgatory will be slammed this weekend," I said. "But I have a brilliant idea. I'll drive for a couple hours to Wolf Creek aka the best kept secret in Colorado. Surely it won't be busy!"

Know what I found there? Texans. Thousands upon thousands of Texans.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
resort skiing is out, backcountry is in

hopefully death rates don’t rise and parks start banning it

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Murgos posted:

Tell me you’re middle aged without telling me you’re middle aged. They live came out in 1988.

Well, now you’ve outed yourself too.

One of my other pairs says “let’s do the numbers”

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

regulargonzalez posted:

"Purgatory will be slammed this weekend," I said. "But I have a brilliant idea. I'll drive for a couple hours to Wolf Creek aka the best kept secret in Colorado. Surely it won't be busy!"

Know what I found there? Texans. Thousands upon thousands of Texans.

Bro, I told you.

Breck had practically no lines today. It was confusing as hell. Less than 5 min.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
How much less insane will it (Purgatory) be next weekend instead? Thinking about going to the skibike race Saturday

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It'll be a typical weekend. 15 minute (e: thinking about it more, probably 5-10 minutes actually) line at lift 1 for the first 30 minutes of the day and then sub-1 minute lines everywhere except maybe lift 3, which might have 2 minute lines.

That said, parking fills up early on weekends and you should get there before 9 to ensure you're not in overflow. I'ma try for 815 tomorrow, should be plenty early even with the holiday. For fun I looked at the lift ticket prices for tomorrow -- $229 which is hilarious. First time I remember seeing over $150.

I love Purgatory. So happy it's my local mountain.

spwrozek posted:

Bro, I told you.

Breck had practically no lines today. It was confusing as hell. Less than 5 min.

Tf? So weird.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 18, 2024

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Backcountry at Huntsman's Ridge was empty. Pow was a bit heavy because we started late and the sun was doing its thing, but no lift lines and absolutely no competition for fresh lines on any of our laps

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

new split arrived today. I have a volume shifted addiction. I'm hoping it skins well being this short and wide.

How do you get on with volume shifted boards? I loved mine in good conditions, but in icey hard pack I lost an edge way more than I've done on my other boards.

(I may be looking for validation that I've not gone poo poo)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I don't have any issues. That being said, the Dancehauls that I have are not as wide as some other volume shifted boards.

I also have a K2 Special effects that is extremely wide. That definitely has more trouble on ice than the Dancehaul. But alot of that could come down to that board being flat to rocker while the Dancehaul has a ton of camber.

But overall I love volume shifted boards. I haven't touched any of my more traditional boards since I've ridden them. Volume shifted boards are just so much more maneuverable in the trees. I find them to be a lot more playful too. The only downside is that they can be sketchy at speed on groomers due to the short effective edge. But I try to be in the trees and powder as much as possible so the trade off is worth it for me.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 18, 2024

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Sometimes, I get bummed about how much of a mobshow it's become in Tahoe the last few years.

Other times, my wife takes the kids to the grandparents during a storm cycle and I get in a night of storm skiing followed by a morning at the resort before work with no lift lines (aside from waiting in line at KT for opening) and fresh tracks every run down Chute 75, Siberia face, Shirley chutes, two laps on granite, one of them down corkscrew, and Broken Arrow.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Welp, I was a dumbass at Copper Sunday and went a little too fast over some bumps. Now I'm out for the rest of the season with a tibial plateau fracture. Shout out to Michelle and Cooper from ski patrol who immobilized it and gave me a super smooth sled ride down.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
My sympathies.

I decided to learn to snowboard last year, egged on by some 'friends'. The bastards.
Managed to beat myself black and blue on the ice in France for a week. The mid-week days were miserable but it was a lot of fun by the end. Couple weeks after I got home I found out I'd fractured my elbow (just a hairline fracture though). 10/10 will snowboard again.

This year's main trip was to Austria, last week. Things went well, nice slushy and powdery snow. It was awesome. Until day 4 when, an hour into my group lesson, the instructor took us off piste down a serious slope and I managed to nosedive the board into the powder, did a nice pretty cartwheel, felt my right knee make some interesting crunching sounds. Managed to board down to the bottom. Turns out I sprained my MCL, apparently quite a rare injury for snowboarding.
It seems to be healing well. Problem is, I am due to be going out to Switzerland for a friend's pre-wedding ski trip as well.. in less than two weeks lol. Guess we will have to see. I suppose the worst that happens is I shlep around to the nearer apres ski places on foot and hang out there drinking my sorrows away. Could be worse.

edit

Partial Octopus posted:

As a total newbie I don't know what any of those words mean but those look like sweet boards

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
One thing I love most about talking to new snowboarders is the eventual broaching of shared pain and I go "oh, gently caress no. I learned at 10, I didn't feel anything".
It happens literally every time I speak to someone who learned as an adult. My response always elicits the same look.

I don't even really do it to rub it in.. I feel like it's a badge I never had to earn. I haven't had a bad fall since I was a teenager... I say 1 sleep from a big trip. BRB finding some wood right now

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

Great thanks for the reply's. Okemo it is!

Thanks everyone for your input. We just got back last night and we all had a great time at Okemo. We must have run down Rum Run 20 times, even my daughter who is a very cautious skier was loving that little dip right before it merges with upper mountain road. My son’s favorite was Tuckered Out, with all its twists and turns, over on the Jackson Gore side.

The crowds were pretty bad Tuesday but the bubble lifts cleared the lines okay as long as you didn’t go all the way down to the base. Wednesday was better and Thursday the lines were pretty minimal. The weather was beautiful, blue skies nice sun, moderate wind, not too cold. The mountain was very well marked with signage practically everywhere making for very convenient points to wait for everyone to catch up and with the bases so well separated there was little risk of someone going the wrong way and ended up lost.

The only downside was really the complete lack of snow cover over the sheets of blue ice down the middle of many of the trails. That whole part of Vermont was pretty much completely barren of snow.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Math You posted:

One thing I love most about talking to new snowboarders is the eventual broaching of shared pain and I go "oh, gently caress no. I learned at 10, I didn't feel anything".
It happens literally every time I speak to someone who learned as an adult. My response always elicits the same look.

I don't even really do it to rub it in.. I feel like it's a badge I never had to earn. I haven't had a bad fall since I was a teenager... I say 1 sleep from a big trip. BRB finding some wood right now

I remember getting the wind knocked out of me a time or two when learning to board as an adult (I had been a skier since I was ~6), but never anything especially, “bad.” No, those falls all happened much more recently, when I thought I was, “good” but actually just careless.

Have a good trip! :haw:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So for some dumbass reason, my gf's brother is getting married next week in Tahoe (Truckee) and it looks like it might blizzard that weekend

Atleast we planned to spend several days in South Lake Tahoe afterwards and ski heavenly during the mid-week

Edit: The summary of the open snow forecast for the wedding weekend

quote:

We will continue to watch the trends on this storm all week. If the current forecasts hold we could see snow Friday through Sunday next week, along with strong winds. Hopefully, we will be measuring the storm in feet.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 23, 2024

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sounds like he is a genius. Great timing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

spwrozek posted:

Sounds like he is a genius. Great timing.

Well except for the part where no one involved actually lives there

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

But you appear to be getting some great ski conditions. Best thank the man. Lol.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Please do report back on how it is, I'm also headed to heavenly for 4-5 days of weekday skiing mid-March. I've never been, but it sounds like Tahoe is one on the lucky places with good snow this year.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Tweak posted:

I remember getting the wind knocked out of me a time or two when learning to board as an adult (I had been a skier since I was ~6), but never anything especially, “bad.” No, those falls all happened much more recently, when I thought I was, “good” but actually just careless.

Have a good trip! :haw:
I made a couple pretty significant mistakes on my first trip (last year) which are part of why I got so bashed up. I booked group boarding lessons but then when I turned up on the first day the school said we don't have any groups, why don't you take a private lesson. I said ok, not knowing any better. I'd spent some time getting lessons and practising on an indoor snow slope at home (UK) so thought I was doing ok (lol). The private instructor also seemed to think so once we'd made it down some slopes and I appeared vaguely competent. So then he tried to teach me new things. Big mistake. I immediately started falling - just wasn't ready to try new stuff, it was my first time on a mountain for one thing, I just needed to be practising and have someone tell me where my basic technique was off.
Also, neither I, nor the instructor, realised that no one had ever taught me how to do flats on a snowboard. Like, I had no idea what to do on them lol. So naturally I started to go down a lot on them. On hard ice. Repeatedly. Totally lost confidence that first day.

Anyways after a few days of group lessons I finally started to get some confidence back near the end of the week - it helped that there was also some snow on day four or five so the ice problem lessened.

But yeah, bad luck and stupid decisions.
Probably also doesn't help that I'm not particularly sporty or fit, I'm skinny but don't do enough exercise in general. Once I start to get seriously tired, that's when I'm in the real danger zone though I guess it's the same for everyone.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Time posted:

Update on the bindings the store hosed up - they said they are safe according to their test but off center by 1mm. I’m measuring 2-2.5mm pretty consistently. They refuse to offer any compensation because it was a hard job to do with a paper jig. The heel is definitely canted but safe according to them. I guess now I get to figure out the best way to review bomb them

Did you ever get anything more from them?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Weather forecasts are pissing me off. I'm using Meteoblue, because it was pretty reliable last year. But it keeps reporting several days 20-30cm of snow at the place where I'm heading, just to regularly demoting the forecast to 2-5cm. Like what the gently caress, man.

Also I got me something neato for the next trip to the Alps. Got this thing second hand of all things, and it has practically no wear:

:haw:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

El Grillo posted:

My sympathies.

I decided to learn to snowboard last year, egged on by some 'friends'. The bastards.
Managed to beat myself black and blue on the ice in France for a week. The mid-week days were miserable but it was a lot of fun by the end. Couple weeks after I got home I found out I'd fractured my elbow (just a hairline fracture though). 10/10 will snowboard again.

This year's main trip was to Austria, last week. Things went well, nice slushy and powdery snow. It was awesome. Until day 4 when, an hour into my group lesson, the instructor took us off piste down a serious slope and I managed to nosedive the board into the powder, did a nice pretty cartwheel, felt my right knee make some interesting crunching sounds. Managed to board down to the bottom. Turns out I sprained my MCL, apparently quite a rare injury for snowboarding.
It seems to be healing well. Problem is, I am due to be going out to Switzerland for a friend's pre-wedding ski trip as well.. in less than two weeks lol. Guess we will have to see. I suppose the worst that happens is I shlep around to the nearer apres ski places on foot and hang out there drinking my sorrows away. Could be worse.

edit

As a total newbie I don't know what any of those words mean but those look like sweet boards

A volume shifted board is short and wide board that you can ride smaller than your usual board. Sometimes like 10+cm shorter than your normal size.
They have the same surface area as a normal board but it's "shifted". So you get all the float of a normal board but at a much shorter size.

They're a lot more nimble in trees than larger boards. I find them much more playful too. They're also great if you have big feet.
The downside is that they're not as stable at very high speed and their width makes transitioning from edge to edge not as responsive as a normal board on hardpack.

I have like 60 or so days on my Dancehaul(s). It's not really all that wide even though it's volume shifted, so it still feels super responsive. I use it for everything and can't recommend it enough. It's even great in the park. I have like 8 boards and it's pretty much the only board I ride anymore. The only downside I can think of is that it's super lively and not damp at all. So it gets bucked around a lot. It can get kind of exhausting to ride in bad snow. The "pro" version did help address that though, but it lost some of it's playfulness in the process.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I took a full day private lesson in Breckenridge today. It’s my first lesson even though I’ve been skiing since I was 13. I learned three things in the first hour that I will use and remember for the rest of my life.

as it turns out I ski like I’m doing a squat and that’s why my thighs burn and I just thought that’s what skiing was.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Partial Octopus posted:

A volume shifted board is short and wide board that you can ride smaller than your usual board. Sometimes like 10+cm shorter than your normal size.
They have the same surface area as a normal board but it's "shifted". So you get all the float of a normal board but at a much shorter size.

They're a lot more nimble in trees than larger boards. I find them much more playful too. They're also great if you have big feet.
The downside is that they're not as stable at very high speed and their width makes transitioning from edge to edge not as responsive as a normal board on hardpack.

I have like 60 or so days on my Dancehaul(s). It's not really all that wide even though it's volume shifted, so it still feels super responsive. I use it for everything and can't recommend it enough. It's even great in the park. I have like 8 boards and it's pretty much the only board I ride anymore. The only downside I can think of is that it's super lively and not damp at all. So it gets bucked around a lot. It can get kind of exhausting to ride in bad snow. The "pro" version did help address that though, but it lost some of it's playfulness in the process.

Dancehaul is on the list of rentals where I'm going tomorrow. Very timely praise!
I will have it on my shortlist

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

I took a full day private lesson in Breckenridge today. It’s my first lesson even though I’ve been skiing since I was 13. I learned three things in the first hour that I will use and remember for the rest of my life.

as it turns out I ski like I’m doing a squat and that’s why my thighs burn and I just thought that’s what skiing was.

The rare private lesson (or better yet share a group private lesson on a super crowded day) is a good way to fix annoying issues.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Yeah I don’t think I would recommend snowboarding to start out to someone my age, and I’m under 40. Much easier to learn when you bounce. Likewise I have a 4 year old nephew who’s about to start snow sports and I absolutely will try to start him on a snowboard because that’s the time to learn. You can always pick up skiing later.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Yeah I don’t think I would recommend snowboarding to start out to someone my age, and I’m under 40. Much easier to learn when you bounce. Likewise I have a 4 year old nephew who’s about to start snow sports and I absolutely will try to start him on a snowboard because that’s the time to learn. You can always pick up skiing later.

I was always told the other way round, little kids don't have the core strength to go straight to boarding but they can ski as soon as they can walk. Certainly that's the dogma around here.

Godlessdonut posted:

Welp, I was a dumbass at Copper Sunday and went a little too fast over some bumps. Now I'm out for the rest of the season with a tibial plateau fracture. Shout out to Michelle and Cooper from ski patrol who immobilized it and gave me a super smooth sled ride down.

Condolences, I had a tibial plateau fracture back in 2018. Healed up well ultimately, though there is quite a lot of metalwork in that leg.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I started to learn to snowboard at around 40 to try and entice my wife into learning so we could have that joint activity. She gave up after a couple of lessons so I stopped as well since I wasn’t into falling and getting up with a board strapped to your feet and when your core strength isn’t great just kind of sucked.

That said, I found the actual snow boarding part of it pretty easy. Like the motions to kind of casually slide down the hill and transfer edges didn’t take a lot of technique and was pretty natural. Want to stop? Just twist your body and lean back. Want to turn? Just lean that way. Heel and toe vs the insides and outsides of your feet I guess?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
It’s more about the falling part. It hurts more when you’re older.

Gay ski week kicks off today so it’s drag brunches and parties from here on out, hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My wife has a terrible time with skiing and more specifically ski boots. She has thick filipino calves\cankles and ski boots are absolutely not working out for her when we get rentals. Surely snowboarding is the answer as an alternative without having to drop hundreds on a properly fitted ski boot for an activity she does 1 day out of the year.