Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

The snw musical is the best star trek episode ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Scratch Monkey posted:

I miss the days when it was trek vs dr who

Captain Picard’s chair is up for auction

https://propstoreauction.com/lot-details/index/catalog/386/lot/126434
I wouldn't pay a plugged nickel for that; it doesn't spin or loom menacingly above an incompetent navigator or any of the fun stuff Kirk's did.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Weird thought but I realized whenever someone mentions Scotty I never think of how he looked in TOS. Grey haired movie Scotty is always the first thing I imagine.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kim Cattrall as a Vulcan is absolutely wild looking.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Every still I see from discovery season five is either someone wearing some new specific action uniform or everybody pointing various guns

Let’s be honest here. If you went by publicity stills, merchandise, TV ads (Staaaaaar Trek), and basically everything but the actual show itself, TNG was a show about guns’n’explosions.

I always thought this
https://youtu.be/LwDAiAKhsCs?si=zlPDJycfvOO4CZh8

was basically the perfect example of that dichotomy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

They've got a point

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

They've got a point

Riker serving his friends the breakfast of champions, what's the problem?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Did Riker replicate raw eggs, or did he get some from a real chicken at the last hillbilly colonist planet? Maybe five eggs was all he could get. Maybe the whole scene is a commentary on how people in the future have no idea how to react to real food. Pulaski thinks its fancy so she brings a fancy present. Riker doesn't have non-replicated oil or seasoning so he doesn't use it.

First of May fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 24, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Any good transporter chief has some food in buffer storage and just beams them in as needed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Monica Bellucci posted:

Any good transporter chief has some food in buffer storage and just beams them in as needed.

In fact they don't even need to keep the matter, just the compressed pattern! Then they can beam it in as many times as they want.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

First of May posted:

Did Riker replicate raw eggs, or did he get some from a real chicken at the last hillbilly colonist planet? Maybe five eggs was all he could get.

This is why he was so into that Irish cartoon woman a few episodes later, they show up and all he can think is "finally, real eggs"

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

"What's the matter with you, Will? Don't you like girls?"

I like eggs....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Monica Bellucci posted:

Computer, activate emergency hot sauce protocol Habanero

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Weird that the Klingons made a ship that could fire while cloaked and then just never bothered with that again after it blew up.

naem
May 29, 2011

Monica Bellucci posted:

MikeJF posted:

In fact they don't even need to keep the matter, just the compressed pattern! Then they can beam it in as many times as they want.

I thought this is like what the replicator does

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

Kim Cattrall as a Vulcan is absolutely wild looking.

There is also an industry rumor that Kim Cattral and her then boyfriend also did a nude photoshoot while in makeup at the bridge, but Leonard Nemoy got angry about that type of unsanctioned screwing around and ensured that all photos and negative of the film of that was destroyed before they leaked and caused a scandal.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Der Kyhe posted:

There is also an industry rumor that Kim Cattral and her then boyfriend also did a nude photoshoot while in makeup at the bridge, but Leonard Nemoy got angry about that type of unsanctioned screwing around and ensured that all photos and negative of the film of that was destroyed before they leaked and caused a scandal.

What a killjoy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

naem posted:

I thought this is like what the replicator does

Yes it is.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Der Kyhe posted:

Ironic if true, given Nimoy's penchant for nude photography.

another thing i am wondering is what do you think the eggs smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Weird that the Klingons made a ship that could fire while cloaked and then just never bothered with that again after it blew up.

I thought this was weird too, like why do they never pursue this huge advantage? Only Shinzon did it.

I guess presumably because once they figured out how to destroy it any Federation ship could take it out with a single torpedo so it wasn't worth the cost or something.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That's a fair point. I just figure a free shot before the fight starts on top of your initial de-cloaking surprise would be pretty sick in a fight.

Then again some gigachad Klingon scientist probably decided that was without honor and kicked all the nerd's asses working on it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I figure there's probably been other versions and it always ends up with their enemy pretty quickly figuring out a procedure within a few encounters to use it to immediately pinpoint you and blast you away since you're basically gonna be highlighting your position as you fire and cloaks are still incompatible with shields. (Until the scimitar)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 24, 2024

naem
May 29, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Yes it is.

seems like you could do the same with ensigns if you start running low

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if a ship ever started to run out of ensigns then there would suddenly be numerous exceptions to how impossible transporter clones are supposed to be.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

First of May posted:

Did Riker replicate raw eggs, or did he get some from a real chicken at the last hillbilly colonist planet? Maybe five eggs was all he could get. Maybe the whole scene is a commentary on how people in the future have no idea how to react to real food. Pulaski thinks its fancy so she brings a fancy present. Riker doesn't have non-replicated oil or seasoning so he doesn't use it.

i would like to think the enterprise has a chicken room that is filled with free range chickens

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if a ship ever started to run out of ensigns then there would suddenly be numerous exceptions to how impossible transporter clones are supposed to be.

I'd argue from a functionality perspective. Some ensigns are quite necessary to ship's critical functions. Whereas, in a life or death emergency, is the botany department, for example, really needed?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Space Jam posted:

i would like to think the enterprise has a chicken room that is filled with free range chickens

Chicken holocoop

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

I'd argue from a functionality perspective. Some ensigns are quite necessary to ship's critical functions. Whereas, in a life or death emergency, is the botany department, for example, really needed?

whose gonna grow the leola root of you eat all the botanists?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Space Jam posted:

Finally solved what to do with all that unused space.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Space Jam posted:

Chickens are important Starfleet business

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Space Jam posted:

Avian Ops

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Space Jam posted:

Did they say they were chicken eggs?

There could be some crewmember who lays eggs for all we know.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Yeah I always assumed they were not chicken eggs, and not from an Earth animal at all. Weird space eggs that look like chicken eggs and Riker just feeds them to his friends.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

What if it turns out they were sentient? Did he even check?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

What if it turns out they were sentient? Did he even check?

:ohdear:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Let’s be honest here. If you went by publicity stills, merchandise, TV ads (Staaaaaar Trek), and basically everything but the actual show itself, TNG was a show about guns’n’explosions.

I always thought this
https://youtu.be/LwDAiAKhsCs?si=zlPDJycfvOO4CZh8

was basically the perfect example of that dichotomy.

Sorry to triple post but this reminds me of this bit from IMDB's trivia section for "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and why the second pilot was successful:

quote:

After NBC saw this episode, they were pleased with the results and decided that Star Trek would be a weekly television series. Gene Roddenberry said that, like The Cage (1966), this still had a lot of science fiction elements in it, but that it was the bare knuckle fist fight between Kirk and the god-like Gary Mitchell that sold NBC on Star Trek.

So it's pretty much always had action as one of the main elements, but not from the get-go.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

First of May posted:

He literally says he got them on Starbase 73 and they are Owat eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-i7J9ZLuM

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

ensign birdperson standing in the corner, breathing heavy and staring with delight, “do you like it captain? I made them myself”

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Yes it is.

I know this is a trap but gently caress you I'm stepping on it anyway.

No, that isn't how the replicator works at all. Replicators digitally save the information about the dish, and they break down a slurry that they store on ship to recreate it as the food. This is why nothing living can be replicated. They only store things at the molecular level, without saving specific energy states of particles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

He literally says he got them on Starbase 73 and they are Owat eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-i7J9ZLuM

Must have cooked them with Tana sauce in the Siam style