Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i dont think that guy wanted a serious resident evil 2 recommendation, they were referencing the previous discussion about not playing games series in order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

All RE games go through the same set of stages in the same sequence:

1) "Haunted house" - You don't have any weapons and there's nothing that can kill you, just spooky atmosphere and some jump scares
2) Survival horror - Limited resources and constant danger, you're mainly running around looking for unlocked doors
3) 3rd person action - You've got plenty of resources and some powerful weapons, and the area is mostly fully scouted
4) Anime - Dudes are transforming left and right into giant Akira monsters and you're shooting them with heavy ordnance

Somewhat ironically RE3 OG skips one but the remake doesn't although that section is only seconds long.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried one of them on GameCube and ran out of saves before the rental weekend was even up and just stopped playing. Weird camera angle poo poo going on. Silent Hill always seemed scarier and better despite never playing any of them.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

I've never played a Resident Evil game, where should I start?

RE is all over the place in terms of quality and tone. You've got spooky survival horror ones with resource and path management:

Original RE1&2 (campy fun but honestly probably too old now)
RE: HD Remake (weird camera, most similar to original, you can turn off tank controls)
RE2:Remake
RE7 & 8ish (8 is all over the place from classic RE to action to walking simulator)
RE0? I didn't play it, heard it sucked.

Then you've got your action REs where I think the only good one is 4 and probably the 4 remake (haven't played it yet), 5 is supposedly mediocre and everyone hated 6. I'd put 3 remake in that category and I hated it but YMMV. Personally I'd start with either RE2 remake or RE remake. RE2 remake is the best in the series but I think I'd give 2nd best to RE:Remake.

Edit:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i dont think that guy wanted a serious resident evil 2 recommendation, they were referencing the previous discussion about not playing games series in order

How could you play with our hearts like this, Outpost22?

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 24, 2024

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The originals are way too old, yeah. Which is why the answer should be...

jokes posted:

Resident Evil 2 remake

:hai:

dsf posted:

if your more used to DS style combat it takes some adjusting, the game emphasizes blocking and parrying more over dodge rolling thru everything. its in kind of a weird place between Sekiro and DS but it works pretty well once you get used to it. Some of the later bosses are a little over-tuned though, you can tell the devs were looking to challenge people who are already souls veterans.

Maybe they tried slightly too hard then. The Surge 2 was all about parrying, but the timing made sense. Or maybe the animations were just clearer. Also it has a very satisfying dodge.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 24, 2024

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Give us the Code Veronica remake you cowards.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vandar posted:

Give us the Code Veronica remake you cowards.

I think we'll have to wait until they remake 5 and 6.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

'horror games are only horror games for the first 30 minutes'

is not remotely true.

the scariest parts of just to give a few examples:

re3: clock tower, hours in
soma: the actual end of the game, 10 hours in, phenomenal
re8: the italian house, about 8 hours in

the scariest part of any horror game is when the horror fuckers on the team win the case to let the level get scary, or when the writers reach their crescencdo.

the scariest part of any bad horror game? yeah it's the first 30 minutes before you realise it's bad.

now is re7 only scary for the first 30 minutes? yeah, but it's an okay game which gets progressively worse. re8 on the other hand is a bad game which randomly gets better and worse at different times.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's those rookie-spookies I've been warning you about.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah, that reminds me how big kid's horror is. Kids are into Five Nights are Freddie's, Poppy's Playtime, and lesser known stuff like Rainbow Friends. I think everyone knows FNAF even if we don't play it - single screen where you manage energy for looking through cameras, turning on lights, and closing doors. Poppy's Playtime is, I guess I'd compare it to children's Amnesia? A Funhouse with small puzzles and some monster chases. Rainbow Friends is a Roblox multiplayer collectathon. Then there's other crap I can't even remember the name of, but they all seem to have the theme of creepy children's entertainment.

When kids talk about them they're always comparing the 'jump scares,' but in their vocabulary jump scares are a good thing. It's weird hearing the kids talking about the jump scares they love while the old curmudgeons like us lambaste things for leaning on jump scares too much.

With the popularity of kid's horror I'm surprised the Goosebumps series hasn't been able to capitalize on anything. Get your act together R. L. Stine!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That reminds me of some movie on Netflix where the entire description is something like "this horror movie has the most jump scares per minute of any movie ever, it's official!" And I always wondered why

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

it's this one I think
https://www.netflix.com/tudum/videos/the-midnight-club-breaks-a-world-record-for-most-jump-scares

It looks so bad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

i like spooky games but the best horror in games is gameplay driven. if resident evil is scary it's not cause zombies and monster dogs and mutants are scary. it's scary when you have to do something and only have 3 bullets left to get there. similarly Dark Souls games aren't even horror but they pump up the anxiety and tap into that part of the brain. If you nailed the mechanics you could probably make a game about a pong dot being chased by a larger dot that felt scary to play.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Nice Van My Man posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me how big kid's horror is. Kids are into Five Nights are Freddie's, Poppy's Playtime, and lesser known stuff like Rainbow Friends. I think everyone knows FNAF even if we don't play it - single screen where you manage energy for looking through cameras, turning on lights, and closing doors. Poppy's Playtime is, I guess I'd compare it to children's Amnesia? A Funhouse with small puzzles and some monster chases. Rainbow Friends is a Roblox multiplayer collectathon. Then there's other crap I can't even remember the name of, but they all seem to have the theme of creepy children's entertainment.

When kids talk about them they're always comparing the 'jump scares,' but in their vocabulary jump scares are a good thing. It's weird hearing the kids talking about the jump scares they love while the old curmudgeons like us lambaste things for leaning on jump scares too much.

With the popularity of kid's horror I'm surprised the Goosebumps series hasn't been able to capitalize on anything. Get your act together R. L. Stine!

what always jumps out at me about these kind of posts is 'when i talk to these kids'

you talked to a dumb teen. a child who is gonna grow up to be stupid.

there are smarter kids but the 30+ year olds of the world don't normally encounter them cos they keep to themselves and don't really care what their uncle/teacher/coach thinks.

you only hear from the stupid ones. and they're gonna turn into you and say the exact same poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Resident Evils are many different games in the same box. They’re survival/horror/action/anime games, but all at different points in the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

With the exception of probably RE6, I think one of RE's strongest points is that it covers all sorts of varying degrees of horror and action while retaining the spirit and feel of the original game pretty well via all sorts of different approaches. The fact that there is literally one RE game I don't like (barring some crappy multiplayer stuff) in a series I've been playing for almost 30 years is impressive.

obviously they vary in quality but 6 is the only one I consider outright crap.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

I think it's the unexpected becomes more and more expected as you see a ton of it, and also kids are doing this as a kinda bravery test. Having a children's thing be scary is also a scary thing to children. Olds like silent hill because they are scared of the eternal suffering that is existence.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

i like spooky games but the best horror in games is gameplay driven. if resident evil is scary it's not cause zombies and monster dogs and mutants are scary. it's scary when you have to do something and only have 3 bullets left to get there. similarly Dark Souls games aren't even horror but they pump up the anxiety and tap into that part of the brain. If you nailed the mechanics you could probably make a game about a pong dot being chased by a larger dot that felt scary to play.

Tunnel Runner was indeed pretty fuckin' creepy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kids like garbage, they do now and the did when I was a kid. By consuming garbage you eventually either get a taste for good stuff or you buy Rocksteady's Suicide Squad and claim it wasnt a dead game on launch.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

roomtone posted:

what always jumps out at me about these kind of posts is 'when i talk to these kids'

you talked to a dumb teen. a child who is gonna grow up to be stupid.

there are smarter kids but the 30+ year olds of the world don't normally encounter them cos they keep to themselves and don't really care what their uncle/teacher/coach thinks.

you only hear from the stupid ones. and they're gonna turn into you and say the exact same poo poo.

Oh they're not teens yet, I assume they'll be into other stuff by then. I'm not saying I even have a problem with it, the games are fine. I just find it interesting how big the kid's horror games genre is and what kids are looking for vs adults. Kids love the jump scares, they don't care how cheap the thrills are and it's cool. It reminds me of me and my friends watching Mortal Kombat Fatalities or something.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dead Space is the only good horror game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Waltzing Along posted:

Dead Space is the only good horror game.

This poster gets it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best horror game is using voice chat while female in CoD.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

The best horror game is using voice chat while female in CoD.

I played in a SWTOR guild with some chill people, chill enough that I still occasionally play other games with them to this day, and at one point someone else in the guild asked another guildmate's wife (who was also in the guild) to elope with him because he misread a great many signals, and this attempt failed so spectacularly that the guild ceased to exist afterwards

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Waltzing Along posted:

System Shock 2 is the only good horror game.

FTFY

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think the scariest game for me was Fatal Frame 2. It was just terrifying from start to finish. You always feel vulnerable and never know what to expect.

Conversely, Dead Space doesn't even register in my mind as a horror game. I'm not saying it sucks, but it's just a gory action game.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Alien Isolation makes me squeal like a little girl more than I'd like to admit.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I think some of you have never played Last Half of Darkness

Oh gently caress why did I look this up

no sleep for me tonight :ohdear:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I played in a SWTOR guild with some chill people, chill enough that I still occasionally play other games with them to this day, and at one point someone else in the guild asked another guildmate's wife (who was also in the guild) to elope with him because he misread a great many signals, and this attempt failed so spectacularly that the guild ceased to exist afterwards

Beautiful, just beautiful.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

credburn posted:

I think some of you have never played Last Half of Darkness

Oh gently caress why did I look this up

no sleep for me tonight :ohdear:

HABACAS OJECA MISTO... gently caress. Too late. RIP, goon.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Barudak posted:

Beautiful, just beautiful.

lol thats funny

ive played literally thousands of dota games with a woman on my team and its fine, very occasionally someone will have an "oo a woman" response in the sense that the tone of their voice changes very slightly but; oops sorry i forgot it's 2024 and you arnt mean to react at all to a person at all in any way based on any defining factor since you might offend someone - stoicism all the way

there was one specific game i got genuinely upset because we had a pair of (English) animals on our team giving it the whole "get back in the kitchen, suck my penis" routine, people like that do unfortunately exist that completely lack in self awareness or levity or well, manners and class but it is what is, I would rather encounter them in a MOBA than a dark alley

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
the most scary thing in the Resident Evil series was playing RE4 VR on the quest 2 and turning around to see Ashley standing completely silently and still only inches from my face staring through me with her uncanny dead eyes, it was seriously one of the most unsettling things ive experienced

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

guild drama is the only thing I actually miss from MMOGs sometimes

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I recently grabbed Cyberpunk 2077 on sale because I was assured that it's good now.

Am I missing something? It's kinda trash to me so far. The gameplay is wholly unremarkable, every animation that's not part of a baked story scene looks super-awkward and stilted, ambient NPC behaviors are downright weird, and everything in the environment feels... I dunno... stuck, like part of a set. Everything feels artificial, and I don't mean that in an intentional artistic statement kind of way.

Maybe this gets more interesting once I access some cooler skills/implants, but so far, I feel like it's going to be a slog to keep going.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 24, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It was never good and it will never be good. It's a FPS.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aramis posted:

I recently grabbed Cyberpunk 2077 on sale because I was assured that it's good now.

Am I missing something? It's kinda trash to me so far. The gameplay is wholly unremarkable, every animation that's not part of a baked story scene looks super-awkward and stilted, ambient NPC behaviors are downright weird, and everything in the environment feels... I dunno... stuck, like part of a set. Everything feels artificial, and I don't mean that in an intentional artistic statement kind of way.

Maybe this gets more interesting once I access some cooler skills/implants, but so far, I feel like it's going to be a slog to keep going.

I did this same thing! Got cyberpunk on gog at half off after the new expansion was released

The beginning of the game had pretty ok gameplay but I loved the setting enough to keep going, and the skill trees really open up the gameplay possibilities. Being able to double jump and then air dash through the air is pretty fun, I am enjoying using a throwing knife and a light machine gun and a tech sniper rifle (meaning it shoots through walls)

I got a bunch of cyberdeck skills but I think it may have been a mistake, combat quickhacks are boring and I don't want yet another stealth archery open world game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cyberpunk doesn't have very dynamic world but it's actually really cool and varied with a lot of care put into it. I found it to be one of the more believable video games cities. Definitely shines more as you explore more. You are locked to just a few city blocks during the prologue so just b line the heist mission so you can go anywhere (Its a cool questline anyways)

I love CP2077 but its cool for the same reasons their other games are cool for the most part. Big, detailed world, decent writing, cool visual style...It's not the deepest game mechanically or anything but theirs plenty of toys to play around with.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Aramis posted:

Its so poo poo. I gave it SO many chances and played it a lot, it's just super poo poo and bad. It's a real shame, the bits where you're not playing are really good, but the gameplay / gunplay is irredeemably bad and annoying.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
the last time i was afraid of a video game it was doom 2, and I was nine.

amnesia is kind of scary until the first time a monster catches you and then all of the suspense and mystery is drained from the game. basically, i agree with the person who said only the first bit of a game can be truly scary. i liked soma, but it never had me feeling afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
None of the RE games are bad enough to be compared to anime. Most of them are a lot of fun, but I don't find them scary aside from the odd jump scare. I think it's because they are more "human science gone too far" as opposed to evil supernatural poo poo.

I think Silent Hill 4 is the best and scariest of the series. It's more of a slow burn descent into a nightmare that keeps getting worse as it seeps into reality until nowhere is safe. The locations are creepy, especially the water prison, and the monsters are more level-specific instead of just the same things appearing everywhere.

It also inspired one of the best internet meltdowns of all time, imo.