Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Feel like streakers need to be nude, or at least near it, to qualify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

There is no way they let him keep it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1761224782392229994

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

that felt kinda surprising but then i remembered that tag-and-trade seems to be the route bengals fans posted about the most

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I forgot to check for a new thread so here I am lol

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Anderson Koopa posted:

That whole article is a goldmine. Crazy that was only twenty years ago. I'm assuming it's better these days?

I would have thought that Veterans would have gone for piss troughs.

quote:

“That’s disgusting. That’s why some of the guys use this,” said Cross, pointing to an empty antifreeze jug. Two hours before kickoff, it was three-quarters filled.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Coldforge posted:

The Chiefs were not a worse team or less well prepared than other playoff teams, they just had a lot of weird and dumb poo poo happen to them in the regular season (most of the weird and dumb poo poo being WRs) that they figured out by the time playoffs arrived.

If Rice hadn't gotten his poo poo together in the playoffs, the Chiefs wouldn't have been in the SB. Legit props to him for getting it done when he absolutely had to.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miamis apparently ready to tag Wilkins too

That cap room helped mega

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Borsche69 posted:

that felt kinda surprising but then i remembered that tag-and-trade seems to be the route bengals fans posted about the most

When was the last time someone was tagged and traded? I feel like it is talked about every year but never actually happens.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Terrible news. Flaco has died.

https://apnews.com/article/flaco-owl-dies-central-park-zoo-escape-e44939489c422379723d9fdec1b8c9db

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pontius Pilate posted:

Feel like streakers need to be nude, or at least near it, to qualify

Agreed. The only clothes a streaker is allowed on are socks and shoes. Otherwise you're just an arsehole getting in the way of the game

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Flags at half mast :(

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Who?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://x.com/tsn_sports/status/1761184696833015999?s=46&t=4v69OlVJpK1h7pgGOGqqoA

This is probably the one watchable play from this endeavor but gently caress it this is the only football we got

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Adding ice as a playing surface for football seems like a brilliant way to get a whole lot more concussions once people learn how to skate oh they're not even on skates. Do they actually tackle or is it like 2 hand touch?

But I don't really care about that, I'd watch that mess (for a few minutes at least).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

As a fan of a team with like 20 roster holes it’s going to be rough if the huge bump lets teams tag or otherwise keep guys who were expected to walk for cap reasons

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Flikken posted:

When was the last time someone was tagged and traded? I feel like it is talked about every year but never actually happens.

I had to look it up - Jarvis Landry to the Browns in 2017, Dee Ford to the 49ers in 2019, a twofer in 2019 where the seahawks got Clowney from the Texans and also traded Frank Clark to the Chiefs, and Ngakoue to the Vikings in 2020. That article is dated 2021 though so I don't think we've seen one since - covid probably hosed with that business.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Docjowles posted:

As a fan of a team with like 20 roster holes it’s going to be rough if the huge bump lets teams tag or otherwise keep guys who were expected to walk for cap reasons

There’s definitely diminished returns on having like $90m in cap space unless you want to give $20m to every mid player who makes it past the franchise tag.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hamhandler posted:

https://x.com/tsn_sports/status/1761184696833015999?s=46&t=4v69OlVJpK1h7pgGOGqqoA

This is probably the one watchable play from this endeavor but gently caress it this is the only football we got

Why didn’t he just skate/glide into the end zone?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Borsche69 posted:

I had to look it up - Jarvis Landry to the Browns in 2017, Dee Ford to the 49ers in 2019, a twofer in 2019 where the seahawks got Clowney from the Texans and also traded Frank Clark to the Chiefs, and Ngakoue to the Vikings in 2020. That article is dated 2021 though so I don't think we've seen one since - covid probably hosed with that business.

Wow I completely forgot thats how we got Jarvis, I remember the trade and the extension not the tag.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what if they played football in shin-deep water. it would cut way down on concussions. they should try it at next years pro bowl

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

indigi posted:

what if they played football in shin-deep water. it would cut way down on concussions. they should try it at next years pro bowl

Bottom of the pile going for a loose ball but you’re face down in water.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

indigi posted:

play in an outdoor stadium during winter

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Aw, and right after his career resurgence

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hamhandler posted:

Next weekend you get two games of NRL played in vegas at least.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Bottom of the pile going for a loose ball but you’re face down in water.

Snorkel helmets? Look it's a learning process.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Disrupting the football space

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

indigi posted:

Snorkel helmets? Look it's a learning process.

Just have them play water polo

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Just have them play water polo

Why are you adding a pool to a sport involving horses?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Water polo is bullshit because they don't use river horses

Cowards.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Cthulu Carl posted:

Water polo is bullshit because they don't use river horses

Cowards.

Hippos? Hungry hungry hippos?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

Is this guy seriously using the current NFL dynasty as a "whacky things can happen in the playoffs" example? Like, the team that's won 3 Super Bowls in 5 years and have been to like 6-7 consecutive AFC Championship games?

LMAO

Wait till he gets started on month 5 of Bryce Young Can Still Happen

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fetch is more likely to happen.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the 2023 Chiefs getting through the Bills and Ravens on the road and then 9ers is absolutely "anything can happen" poo poo especially considering it required Greenlaw to pop his Achilles taking the field. it's not the 2011 Giants but it's still absurd.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Anything can happen in the playoffs if you have a HoF coach and QB, sure. For regular rear end teams not so much, not unless they’ve got a stacked defense. The Bucs or Steelers winning it all would be one thing, but come on, the Chiefs may not have been favorites but it sure as hell wasn’t improbable.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bills, Ravens and 9ers all had a lot go wrong. The point of the whole discussion is playoffs are a crapshoot so it doesn't really matter how you make them, just that you make them for a shot.

I never called the chiefs bad, all I contended was that they had weird poo poo happen in their games they were able to take advantage of.

That you need to be in the games to take advantage of. Which is why the playoffs are a crapshoot and it's cool and good to make them.

Its very goon brain poo poo to jump from "even this years champs had some lucky breaks" to "chiefs are bad".

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hopefully one day they will see. that anything can happen in the national football league

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BlindSite posted:

Bills, Ravens and 9ers all had a lot go wrong. The point of the whole discussion is playoffs are a crapshoot so it doesn't really matter how you make them, just that you make them for a shot.

I never called the chiefs bad, all I contended was that they had weird poo poo happen in their games they were able to take advantage of.

That you need to be in the games to take advantage of. Which is why the playoffs are a crapshoot and it's cool and good to make them.

Its very goon brain poo poo to jump from "even this years champs had some lucky breaks" to "chiefs are bad".

Every football game involves some measure of luck, the silly thing is jumping from there to “so really all you’ve got to do is make the playoffs and anything can happen,” and then backing that up by arguing that the current Dynasty is proof that a plucky middling NFC South team with a bad coach and mediocre QB could totally win it all if they just make the playoffs.

It’s not a crapshoot. It’s not entirely random and totally unpredictable. On a game by game basis weird poo poo will happen but at the end of the day we were ended up with a Super Bowl between two of the preseason favorites.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 25, 2024

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

BlindSite posted:

Basically, the Bills lost the same way they lost the last two times: they got out-coached and out-schemed. Spags correctly identified our receiving corp as poop from a butt, so the Chiefs mostly concentrated on keeping James Cook and Josh Allen contained and forcing us to dink-and-dunk down the field, counting on one of our receivers eventually making a mistake, which turned out to be a depressingly-reliable strategy!
McD, for his part, was unable to contain the Chiefs offense very well. You could point to the numerous key injuries the Bills suffered on D, or you could point to past examples of Andy pantsing McD in the playoffs, or the complete inability of any Bills defensive lineman to make a play, perhaps. McD also called or approved that brain-dead fake punt that got bailed out by a flukey play, and then decided to send his kicker (who had been shaky all year) out to attempt a game-tying field goal with plenty of time remaining, which was all but conceding the game even before Bass hooked the kick wide right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

restricting it to the Chiefs, who were still a pretty good offense and solid overall team this year, is silly, and not even an especially demonstrative case. they're just easy to remember because it happened like last week and I’m stupid. but you're right, it's never happened to a bad team, but a few meh teams have managed to do it: Flacco went fluke-o, the Giants pulled off road upsets against the 15-1 Packers and stacked 9ers before squeaking by the dominant Pats, and the Eagles late season offense was doodoo so they aaaalmost lost to the Falcons before riding Nick Foles (lol) to a Superbowl over a dynasty.

just 3 winners in the last 30+ years that I can think of, and again none of those teams were actually bad, certainly the Chiefs weren't. so it's at best a ~1/40 chance if your playoff team is "ok" and then nosedives from there. but sometimes longshots hit a few weeks in a row, and before you know it Dre Greenlaw's foot falls off due to light jogging. so idk I guess that could happen to the Panthers next year? even though it won't. it could... and that's cool