Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
^^ also if it triggers on the ante 8 boss you get the win regardless, it got me the win on one of the higher stakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

How do wild cards interact with that one joker that wants you to hold onto only spades and clubs (blackboard I think)?

It counts wild cards as a spade or club.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Hooray, broke into Black Stakes. Also, this deck was running on fumes by the end: unlike most decks where I could at least play them to Ante 10 minimum, this one immediately tripped and fell on its rear the instant after I got the win.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 24, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hackan Slash posted:

Orange Stake is just an unfun difficulty jump Booster packs cost one more dollar PER STAKE

It basically means you can't buy boosters because of how bad econ it is, so really the only gameplay is how often you reroll the shop to get good jokers and you're basically left making only low hands because you do not have the deck manipulation available to make anything more consistent.

I kind of see the logic. I find that when you hit purple stake there's a lot of pressure to use econ jokers sparingly and just coast on interest, then orange stake says "ok, now do it again but this time you need to squeeze econ jokers back in if you want to be able to buy anything."

Still pretty unfun though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I feel like this is still counting my demo stats for the Jokers, just for how MUCH of a lead Spare pants has.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I wonder how far the tutorial cards can go for unlocks/discoveries/achievements.

The funny thing about seeds is that they'll always have the same card patterns, store patterns, random effect patterns (i.e. the Ancient Joker will follow the same sequence of boosted suits) - so you can actually plan everything in advance and perfectly reproduce a gameplan. This normally wouldn't matter to the question, because seeded runs done from the menu option disables all that, except that the first-run tutorial acts on unseeded rules, and still always uses the TUTORIAL seed. And if you remove your system's save files (and don't load cloud saves, where applicable), you'll get the first-run tutorial again.

Mostly an academic question, you're always locked into the default Red Deck/White Stake when you start from scratch, and the only locked items that can possibly show up are the ones you can unlock during the run itself, but since everything's otherwise set in stone, there's got to be an predictably optimal way to run it.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

How does the -1 ante voucher work and why would I pick it?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

AlphaKeny1 posted:

How does the -1 ante voucher work and why would I pick it?

Drops your Ante counter by one, effectively letting you play the Ante you just did a second, additional time, albeit with different Tags/Boss Blind. It's a panic button/tool to try and ramp up your engine more in case you're worried you're going to flub the next Ante or want to try and set up for a truly monstrous post-game. For example, if you're doing Midas/Vampire, you get several more rounds easily of chumpable blinds in which to feed Vampire extra multiplier. But given that you lose a hand for it, it's a pretty tough judgment call and I wouldn't do it in most cases.

Also, since I'm doing this new post anyway,

Per the holy poopacy's recommendations, tried out the Painted Deck. Was a fun variant on the formula and let me get my "beat the game with 4 jokers" unlock. Seems really limited in the long tail of Endless unless you get a ton of Negative Jokers, but I was also running around with Chicot, so could very well be doable.

Also, this run had a silly poker hand distribution.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 24, 2024

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ooh thanks, looks like I was right to pretty much avoid it whenever I saw it in most cases. I've been trying to grind a win with black deck and it hurts seeing that voucher.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like picking it up no matter what because I get ot play the game more, yay more game!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I would say the -1 ante is worth getting anytime that you're running a build that isn't complete enough to win the run or that scales with hands played. 3 hands after an extra ante to improve your poo poo should be stronger than 4 without it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

-1 ante is more powerful than it seems. If you're able to consistently beat an ante already, it's more opportunities for tags, money and shops. If you're not able to beat an ante consistently, you'd probably have more difficulty with the next ante and need those opportunities. Still, -1 hand is also more significant of a downside than it might seem. It's not a snap pick but it should be considered.

I think my favorite deck is no face cards. I've found the base chip value of cards not to matter past the early game so a little more difficulty at first for a lot more consistency throughout is well worth it.

EDIT: haven't unlocked all the decks yet though

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I nearly always pick the -ante vouchers, it winds up being a lot of extra opportunities to grow your run, unless you're black deck at which point only having 2 hands is a great way to die to The Water.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i always take the -1 ante, no exceptions. three more rounds of income, shop restocks, and booster cards and an extra voucher will always outweigh the hand and discard slots you lose.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
me: this painted run is going ok but I'm going to need some extra oomph to clear the boss, I hope a negative joker comes up soon
the game:

Nihilarian posted:

I think my favorite deck is no face cards. I've found the base chip value of cards not to matter past the early game so a little more difficulty at first for a lot more consistency throughout is well worth it.

Yeah, I love abandoned deck. I haven't gotten back to it since I first unlocked it and took it for a spin but I'm looking forward to it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Do you stop getting offered negatives after you buy two? I've never gotten 3+ negatives on a normal deck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Onmi posted:

I feel like this is still counting my demo stats for the Jokers, just for how MUCH of a lead Spare pants has.
Does omelette challenge give you 5x egg value? only way my stats make sense.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The boss that only lets you play 1 hand is hosed. An actual war crime.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

smoobles posted:

The boss that only lets you play 1 hand is hosed. An actual war crime.

The first and only time I ran into it I beat it. Fully prepared to curse its existence cause that was obscenely lucky.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Am I weird for consistently forgetting that aces aren't face cards?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So fun thing about the -1 Ante vouchers they uh... originally had no downside attached. They just took the Ante back 1 or 2 with the second voucher. Now they make you lose a hand/discard respectively. That said on higher difficulties you may need to use the vouchers just to give you more time. I think another thing to consider is a redone ante is 2 more tags you can pick up, 2 more stores, and 2 more chances to ramp. At purple and above you may want that just to handle the increased scaling.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Am I weird for consistently forgetting that aces aren't face cards?

Another fun fact, Ace cards used to not only give exactly the same chips as Face cards, they also weren't considered "Odd" cards for the cases of cards that care about the numerics of existing cards. Closed Beta Balatro was a hilarious wild west. One deck from the old beta that has not returned was the Platinum deck, which let you start with a Joker.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Is there some special unlock condition for 'negative' jokers in the shop? I almost never come across them in my runs and not sure if it's just cause they are meant to be super rare or if I'm missing something.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

roffles posted:

Is there some special unlock condition for 'negative' jokers in the shop? I almost never come across them in my runs and not sure if it's just cause they are meant to be super rare or if I'm missing something.

Nope, just random chance.

Also, hilarious erratic roll.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

roffles posted:

They're very rare, pretty sure they're rarer than holo/foil/polychrome. If you see a tag offered for a guaranteed negative joker then you should jump on it unless you are 100% sure you need another shop to survive the fight after it.

There's also a spectral card that adds negative to a random joker at a cost of permanent -1 hand size and this one is a bit more of a tradeoff but is often worth it.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Just popping in to mention that jokers like "The Duo" will also trigger on two pair/full house/ANYTHING that includes a scoring pair. I thought it was just a meh "2x to pairs" until I saw that.

Edit: 3 of a kind also counts I guess.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Just beat the orange stake and unlocked the erratic deck with the checkered deck! I'm gonna go back to beating the white stake with the remaining decks now, I need a bit of a breather.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Like it or not, this is what peak performance looks like, ladies.

First shop had the card that gives you three dollars and deletes the card if your first discard is only one card, and well, numbered cards can basically get hosed. By the end of that run, Erosion had +124 mult, and I had a 100% chance of playing the card my Idol joker pointed to that round. But that's only an X2 multiplier so deck topped out at ante 10 on red stake. Fun though.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BALATRO!!!!!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just had a fun Johnny Five Aces kinda run that revolved around stacking a negative Hologram joker and playing/discarding til I had my five aces and some kings to pop Baron on the last hand of a round. Very, very fun.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I think it's kinda lame that you can have burgler and can't put a joker that adds discard to the right of it to cheat.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

this game will
ruin my life

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm having a frustrating run of bad luck with the painted deck and most if it doesn't even have to do with having one less joker slot, the game's just not giving me anything lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kalsco posted:

this game will
ruin my life

:cheers:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does the Abandoned Deck actually make straights easier or am i imagining it?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's no face cards, right? a smaller range means easier straights

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that's no face cards, right? a smaller range means easier straights

Yeah, I don't have the statistics to prove it but I'm pretty sure that taking out 3/13 elements is going to improve your odds even with aces and 10s becoming strictly one-way.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Color Printer posted:

I'm having a frustrating run of bad luck with the painted deck and most if it doesn't even have to do with having one less joker slot, the game's just not giving me anything lmao

the answer was, of course, to complain on the internet

not pictured: the foil photograph i had to sell for leaf

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I got brutalized by the black deck for about 20 runs before I beat it. The early game was just loving brutal every time

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Kalsco posted:

this game will
ruin my life

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, I don't have the statistics to prove it but I'm pretty sure that taking out 3/13 elements is going to improve your odds even with aces and 10s becoming strictly one-way.

worth noting that aces count low or high. you can get a straight that goes A 2 3 4 5

e: i realize that is exactly what you said but instead let this serve as a tip to the rest of yall