Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mystes posted:

As a veiled threat or just because people over 40 need more time to decide due to cognitive decline?

probably neither, but rather an acknowledgement of the fact that due to rampant age discrimination in hiring, the decision may not be "stick with this job" vs "get a new job," but rather "stay employed" vs. "retire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i basically see it as an additional cooling off period and window to seek independent legal advice

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
how does your work even know how old you are? I don’t remember giving mine that info

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

guarantee you that hr and payroll have your dob

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
seems like a breach of privacy

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bhodi posted:

how does your work even know how old you are? I don’t remember giving mine that info
In the US employers are required to check that you're legally allowed to work (i.e. you're a citizen or have the correct visa status) and I think you have to give your DOB as part of that process, so it's impossible for them to not have been given your DOB.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

it would be if they made public which employees got the extra time to consider the offer. there may be other groups who get extra time too

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

echinopsis posted:

any sane governance would limit that information to the people that actually need it

In the context of the layoff legal would have said "I need these different terms to go to protected groups" and hr would have sent it out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
breach of privacy that they are allowed to ask at all

ageism is real

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you look 70 are you sure you want this job

actually i’m 27 just a heavy smoker who works laying down tarmac in arizona for a job

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they can have your DOB for employment verification without keeping a long-term record of it. many companies ask for voluntary information about different classes that a candidate might be in, in part because parts of the US gov’t wants to know the aggregate stats, but that info doesn’t get kept in the candidate profile or resulting employee record if the company is not straight up stupid

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mystes posted:

In the US employers are required to check that you're legally allowed to work (i.e. you're a citizen or have the correct visa status) and I think you have to give your DOB as part of that process, so it's impossible for them to not have been given your DOB.

i always had to xerox my license and ss card

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

echinopsis posted:

ageism is real

breach of privacy that the pharmacist asks for my dob when I'm picking up my medication

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

ageism is real
they only ask after you’re hired, so they are allowed to do so. the use they put it to at that point has nothing to do with ageism

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

they only ask after you’re hired, so they are allowed to do so. the use they put it to at that point has nothing to do with ageism
The specific reason they ask is not for discrimination, but if they record it, it is presumably possible to do discrimination even after people have already been hired.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

breach of privacy that the pharmacist asks for my dob when I'm picking up my medication

that’s right

Kenny Logins posted:

I am being facetious

but also quite serious

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mystes posted:

The specific reason they ask is not for discrimination, but if they record it, it is presumably possible to do discrimination even after people have already been hired.
particularly in small businesses without an hr silo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

particularly in small businesses without an hr silo
I think a lot of companies have more of an hr blast radius, really

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Our SSN includes date of birth. One of the few valid cases for a company having that kind of info about me, legally, is my employer. Now are they allowed to use that info for anything other than identification and checking if I'm of legal age so I can work [redacted]? gently caress no. Will they? IDK but also IDC.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sang some karaokesutera and used the names Keyser Söze and Harry Lime and no-one loving knew the names. But a lady shouted "oh it's Fat Larry!" and people clapped.

The unpopcultured folk SMHD.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

ageism is real

its real, and my friend

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

question for all the olds itt: why didnt you just stay young? why bother going through all the crap?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tfw u don’t hire some coz they’re 12

what a bigot

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fart simpson posted:

question for all the olds itt: why didnt you just stay young? why bother going through all the crap?

i dont celebrate my birthday so im still in my late 20s

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i couldnt stop it

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Only the good stay young.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fart simpson posted:

Oh hello, nice to see you again, existential dread. It's been about 15 minutes since last time!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
found out they're not going to be literally burning off nerve endings in my spine next week, just the myelin sheaths. which basically eliminates any chance of a serious whoopsie. the doc said it's a ridiculously safe procedure, and not knowing entirely what was involved, i asked, because uhh killing off random nerves doesn't sound really great

so that was a relief but i'm still pretty anxious about it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

back issues are the worst, gl goon

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the human back is pretty much an open-and-shut case against the theory of "intelligent design"

unless your perspective is that "god exists, and he hates us and wants us to suffer" in which case...hmm

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FMguru posted:

the human back is pretty much an open-and-shut case against the theory of "intelligent design"

unless your perspective is that "god exists, and he hates us and wants us to suffer" in which case...hmm

and don’t get me started on the knee

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Subjunctive posted:

and don’t get me started on the knee

please do the kneedful

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

tk posted:

Only the good stay young.
you'd think so but peep the names on this list

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

back issues are the worst, gl goon

thanks friend. it's actually not the first time i've had this particular procedure done, but

from what my current doc says, the guy who did it the first time (~10 years ago) completely hosed it up and did it wrong

lol lmao :negative:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Beeftweeter posted:

thanks friend. it's actually not the first time i've had this particular procedure done, but

from what my current doc says, the guy who did it the first time (~10 years ago) completely hosed it up and did it wrong

lol lmao :negative:

hmm

super easy procedure that’s basically impossible to gently caress up

but last dude should have his plumbing license taken away, look at this mess

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Subjunctive posted:

hmm

super easy procedure that’s basically impossible to gently caress up

but last dude should have his plumbing license taken away, look at this mess

yeah, basically

things the other guy did wrong:

- kept me fully sedated
- burned off more than myelin
- didn't test for effectiveness/nerve function during the procedure (see sedation)
- hit the wrong points, actually

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m not a medical expert but I recommend not returning to your previous surgeon

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Subjunctive posted:

yeah i figured that one out 9.5 years ago

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

why would we fire him though? have we forgotten the parable of the million dollar education?

quote:

IBM had survived The Great Depression. Gambling on a post war boom, Watson Sr. had maintained IBM’s employment levels by increasing inventories when there was little demand. Excess machinery and parts crowded basements and filled every nook-and-cranny of Endicott's warehouses.

Some on the board of directors, because of this, were lobbying to remove Watson as IBM's President. He needed these inventories sold.

A very large government bid, approaching a million dollars, was on the table. The IBM Corporation—no, Thomas J. Watson Sr.—needed every deal. Unfortunately, the salesman failed. IBM lost the bid. That day, the sales rep showed up at Mr. Watson’s office. He sat down and rested an envelope with his resignation on the CEO’s desk. Without looking, Mr. Watson knew what it was. He was expecting it.

He asked, “What happened?”

The sales rep outlined every step of the deal. He highlighted where mistakes had been made and what he could have done differently. Finally he said, “Thank you, Mr. Watson, for giving me a chance to explain. I know we needed this deal. I know what it meant to us.” He rose to leave.

Tom Watson met him at the door, looked him in the eye and handed the envelope back to him saying, “Why would I accept this when I have just invested one million dollars in your education?”

except i guess the million dollars was beeftweeter's body. i'm sure the surgeon learned his lesson though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I had a dream last night where I thought I was at university, but I knew it was a dream so concentrated really hard to try and work out where in my life I actually was, then sort of woke up with the realisation that my twenties were behind me, not ahead of me