Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I put together a solid build to take on the Alchemist once I got to the vault. I thought, rather than piss off the gods working my way back up, why not explore that funky purple area to the left of the vault?

I did not make it to the Alchemist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

AceClown posted:

early levels it can do chip damage and things like the money spiders in the first zone will get killed by it, but by the time you get to the snowy depths it doesn't do much at all.

I assume it's not % based like it is for Mina because that would be easily exploitable

Edit: Strangely, the big drilling worms seem to take a decent chunk of damage from fire, not sure why that is.

It is in fact % based, but taking 50 seconds to kill an enemy is not very good

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

AceClown posted:

Edit: Strangely, the big drilling worms seem to take a decent chunk of damage from fire, not sure why that is.

I think that's because they're multi-segmented, and each individual segment takes fire damage at the same time. Pretty sure that's why they die incredibly fast to spells that can pierce through them or otherwise hit a bunch of their segments at once.

Or it might just be because they have huge HP pools so each tick is a big number. Idk. Worms are fuckin weird in this game

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The physics engine may smash every potion and randomly delete objects, but sometimes it is very funny, so who can say if it is bad or not?

https://i.imgur.com/QW9NwDB.mp4

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Had a very strange run start developing, found a shop in the mines with Zeta and Summon Taikasauva. So now I effectively only can have two wands, but it summons infinite friendly wands that persist and can be picked up after death. I've already come close to death since then several times from random wand effects, but it is extremely funny to spam.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Somberbrero posted:

I put together a solid build to take on the Alchemist once I got to the vault. I thought, rather than piss off the gods working my way back up, why not explore that funky purple area to the left of the vault?

I did not make it to the Alchemist.

once you trigger the earthquake when exiting the holy mountain, the gods no longer care about that shrine. you can dig in/out/etc and won't get Steve'd. rushing through to hit the exit and then digging back inside can help prevent spiders/etc in the Jungle from angering too.

also you can safely destroy the brickwork layer between levels as long as you don't blindly dig into the terrain immediately surrounding the shrine.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
My luminous drill wand atm shoots like a projectile. But i dont have anything that should be making it do that i dont think.

Doesnt it normally just appear out of the front of the wand?

Maybe bouncing spells?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Any modifier that increases lifetime will do that.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Had no idea thought it was just pingpong or whatever

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

silentsnack posted:

once you trigger the earthquake when exiting the holy mountain, the gods no longer care about that shrine. you can dig in/out/etc and won't get Steve'd. rushing through to hit the exit and then digging back inside can help prevent spiders/etc in the Jungle from angering too.

also you can safely destroy the brickwork layer between levels as long as you don't blindly dig into the terrain immediately surrounding the shrine.

if you collapse a holy mountain, do not go back inside of it for a minute or so. there will be red particles floating around it until "the curse" wears off.

you can still dig and do whatever once it collapses. there's just a damage aura for a while.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
https://i.imgur.com/iYylHby.mp4

There's probably a lesson to be learned somewhere in this but I can't hear it over the sawblades.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

animatorZed posted:

https://i.imgur.com/iYylHby.mp4

There's probably a lesson to be learned somewhere in this but I can't hear it over the sawblades.

lol what in the world

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The hiisi base has never ever been as fun as it is with the luminous drill projectiles. I dont have to care about corners. Its like the end of Eraser in here.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Accelerated spiral shot bouncing burst with saw blade orbit??

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I did it! I had to use the tinker with everywhere mod but i made it to the work!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
which one

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

which one

The gold one that killed me. But at least i made it to one!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Whats the answer to the eye puzzle? The noita guy is here right? Can you just tell us please?

Thanks!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Which eye puzzle do you mean? The one with the hourglass?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Angry Diplomat posted:

Which eye puzzle do you mean? The one with the hourglass?

the one that all the youtube people say isn't solved yet

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
there are a handful of unsolved puzzles in noita and i suspect they are either literally unsolvable or close

the eye trigram puzzle is probably the most well-known, but apparently the cauldron actually got an update in the beta branch, too; my understanding is that the function that determines what the cauldron has in it had a bug, got patched, and now has a different bug

given that noita is still getting a small trickle of updates, it's arguably more frustrating having these mysteries, because it isn't clear if they're unsolvable or will be updated to be solvable later. the single downside to getting updates

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hempuli has claimed not to know how the eyes puzzle works. All of the devs were given free reign to insert their own puzzles into the game, and it wasn't one of his. Or so he says anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ZeusCannon posted:

The gold one that killed me. But at least i made it to one!
congrats on your first win :toot:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it is funny that there are puzzles in noita that even the devs are like "yeah i have no clue who put that poo poo in there". hempuli is one but i'm p sure the other devs have occasionally mentioned it.

arguably you could find out who did what puzzle by the process of elimination :v:

(hempuli has been very up front that he does not have any insight/access to the actual engine code, and most things are deeply buried in the engine, so)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

We had kind of mutual understanding that everyone could put in new secret stuff if it didn't break things too badly; as a result, there are a bunch of little funny tidbits that the other devs didn't know about until players dug that stuff up. When we were closing in on the Epilogue Update (or was it 1.0? Can't remember), all the devs (4 at the time) kind of unofficially added one major secret each. I don't think this was planned as such, and e.g. I didn't know about the eye messages before they were in and I don't even know when exactly they were added.

My secret thing was the Sun Quest, and because I don't know C++, it was never very *secret*, just obtuse in other ways.
Antti put in the Metal Egg questline, and in general Antti's secret stuff has been by far the most approachable secret content, haha.
The Cauldron & Eye messages were put in by the other 2 devs, and since they were the programmers of the team, they had access to the full C++ implementation and could make them much more hidden, as it were.
I literally do not know how the Eye messages work or what they say; I've asked about them but even if I knew how to solve them, I'd respect the dev's wishes to keep them secret since it's not a thing added by me.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hempuli posted:

We had kind of mutual understanding that everyone could put in new secret stuff if it didn't break things too badly; as a result, there are a bunch of little funny tidbits that the other devs didn't know about until players dug that stuff up. When we were closing in on the Epilogue Update (or was it 1.0? Can't remember), all the devs (4 at the time) kind of unofficially added one major secret each. I don't think this was planned as such, and e.g. I didn't know about the eye messages before they were in and I don't even know when exactly they were added.

My secret thing was the Sun Quest, and because I don't know C++, it was never very *secret*, just obtuse in other ways.
Antti put in the Metal Egg questline, and in general Antti's secret stuff has been by far the most approachable secret content, haha.
The Cauldron & Eye messages were put in by the other 2 devs, and since they were the programmers of the team, they had access to the full C++ implementation and could make them much more hidden, as it were.
I literally do not know how the Eye messages work or what they say; I've asked about them but even if I knew how to solve them, I'd respect the dev's wishes to keep them secret since it's not a thing added by me.

That's rad, thank you for answering!

Are they going to tell us if we can't figure it out eventually? I'm not going to go learn C++ engines or whatever to find out myself.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

madmatt112 posted:

lol what in the world

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Accelerated spiral shot bouncing burst with saw blade orbit??

Chained long distance cast nolla, add expiration trigger, sawblade orbit, infestations with some other garbage tossed in. Without the nolla, any combination of infestation + sawblades will definitely kill you even with long distance cast.

An earlier version:
https://i.imgur.com/j1rziij.mp4

Expiration trigger, along with add trigger / add timer are pretty rare/high level spells with some pretty broken effects. Add trigger in particular is the basis for many stupid wands which I've used a bunch in the past.
If you do muck about with the trigger/timer spells, a tip for getting the chained spells to spawn not directly on top of the source is to chain into long distance cast / drill with timer, potentially with a heavy spread modifier if you want the result to spread about chaotically.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wait nolla makes sawblades not kill the player but still kill enemies?

:psypop: this fuckin game, man

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hempuli posted:

for what it's worth your sun quest led to a really great "what did you think would happen" moment

someone on twitch was going for all the cheevo pillars, and two of them are for sacrificing the sun gems there. he brings the sun gem to the altar, sacrifices it, and... instant game over, because the sun spawned and instantly ate him.

:sun:

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Still angry that a Steam cloud issue caused me to lose all my tree accomplishments. Yeah, I have the Steam achievements, but I have to go through and kill all these dang things again.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Ciaphas posted:

wait nolla makes sawblades not kill the player but still kill enemies?

:psypop: this fuckin game, man

Yeah. I think the way it works is that you get a 1-2 frame grace period where projectiles you fire don't hurt you, to make it so that simply fitting l firing a large sawblade doesn't instagib you while it's near your hit box.

Enemies don't get that grace and nolla gets rid of the projectile before the grace ends.
That might not be the exact reasoning but close enough.

This is what enables the late game nolla omega sawblade teleport bolt movement/damage/eraser wand

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Roki B posted:

That's rad, thank you for answering!

Are they going to tell us if we can't figure it out eventually? I'm not going to go learn C++ engines or whatever to find out myself.

I wouldn't count on it, haha; it has seemed that some of the other devs are way better than me at not spilling the beans on in-game secrets.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Fungal shift 1 - blood to gunpowder. Well that's not great because I took vampirism. Maybe i'll try fungal shifting it with this flask full of what was blood.

It's acid now.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

A jargogle posted:

Fungal shift 1 - blood to gunpowder. Well that's not great because I took vampirism. Maybe i'll try fungal shifting it with this flask full of what was blood.

It's acid now.

Do it again.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Pea soup, which also heals apparently

Unfortunately, I also met a very friendly blue skinned chap who said "lol, lmao"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

A jargogle posted:

Pea soup, which also heals apparently

IIRC this is because the game manages material-based perks and spell effects relative to the base material. So if you have vampirism and shift blood into grass, eating the "grass (transformed)" that bleeds out of creatures will still heal you. Likewise, if you shift all water into fire and are using a wand with Critical Hit on Wet Enemies, I think you'll auto-crit when shooting enemies that are on fire (I know for a fact that you'll auto-crit if you add the Water spell to your wand, even though it shoots fire now).

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hempuli posted:

I wouldn't count on it, haha; it has seemed that some of the other devs are way better than me at not spilling the beans on in-game secrets.

the counterpoint is that you get to enjoy all the people going through the bullshit involved in the sun quest and all the people proud of having done it, while the other devs just get to sit and watch everyone stare at eyes for hours :v:

(i enjoyed the sun quest)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does winning the game once unlock anything? Im mostly asking because im suddenly paranoid that since I had a mod on it wouldnt (im under the impression mods only stop achievements)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Just a pillar segment, which mods don't effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ZeusCannon posted:

Does winning the game once unlock anything? Im mostly asking because im suddenly paranoid that since I had a mod on it wouldnt (im under the impression mods only stop achievements)

winning once unlocks Nightmare Mode as an option when starting a new game