Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I mean, this is an example of game design specifically directing the player to do it, and the weapon design in the game then goes further to explicitly encourage it with how they fire. It's not an insurmountable challenge, but putting in the mechanic with nothing in the tutorial and more traditional direct shooting or exploding weapons means it is not ever explicitly conveyed to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like how if you're on the bridge of the super destroyer in a busy area, the other super destroyers will be launching barrages and pods, and if you look down at the planet there are indeed beacons for said barrages and pods, with even the right colors of red and blue. :3:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

It's a choice in game design that could be adapted to but it would only feel "fair" if there was a portion of the tutorial the explicitly and directly says "bug bodies are different soldier! Headshots are not instantly lethal and glowing guts are threats not weak points. Shoot the legs for democracy!"

you learn this in your first few missions by shooting bugs and seeing them continue to hobble after you or charge you without a head

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So you know how chargers and bile titan can kill smaller bugs as they run through the place? while dancing underneath a bile titan I had a charger hit the titan leg and kill it and later had a titan stomping around that killed a charger underneath it.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So you know how chargers and bile titan can kill smaller bugs as they run through the place? while dancing underneath a bile titan I had a charger hit the titan leg and kill it and later had a titan stomping around that killed a charger underneath it.

bile titan acid breath will also melt chargers pretty badly. If they survive then they have no armor on half their body

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's hilarious that when divers shoot down to the planet they don't vent the burnt propellant into space, it just fills the ship's bridge. The crew should be so grateful that their imminent death in the war prevents them from developing supercancer instead.

ijyt posted:

you learn this in your first few missions by shooting bugs and seeing them continue to hobble after you or charge you without a head

TBH that doesn't mean a lot. Sure the head might come off but that doesn't mean it's not a weak spot still, especially for otherwise armored enemies. There's a good number of zombie games where you can take their heads off and sometimes they keep moving, doesn't mean it doesn't do way more damage.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/dMCsk5H.mp4

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

TBH that doesn't mean a lot. Sure the head might come off but that doesn't mean it's not a weak spot still, especially for otherwise armored enemies. There's a good number of zombie games where you can take their heads off and sometimes they keep moving, doesn't mean it doesn't do way more damage.

sorry maybe barbie adventures is more your speed

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

ijyt posted:

They also die shortly thereafter.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

extremely good player name there

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Seems reasonable to want the UI elements to tell you the truth, idk. If there’s one for “bounced off” then the opposite one for “cool weak spot” shouldn’t secretly do less damage.

Subverting player expectations is fine but in a game about cooperation and success it shouldn’t undermine the fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What button drops stuff on PC? The key binds are missing so much.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Aphrodite posted:

What button drops stuff on PC? The key binds are missing so much.

Hold x.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
So had my first drop with Stalkers, and those are pretty rough. I feel like they probably don't need quite so much health, they seemed to soak up shots like a Charger.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

BitBasher posted:

Then shoot the leg, it's right there! Is there some reason you just really don't want to shoot the leg?

Because despite literally 30 years of shooting games on the computer I can't shoot for poo poo and the venom ballsack is large.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ijyt posted:

Shooting their head does guarantee a kill. Just the bugs have a distributed neurological system that can keep kicking for a few seconds before they die. They bleed out from lack of head much like the charger bleeds out from lack of tail so I've learned to back off if I'm not already.

It's a very common problem to have when you like to use the AP rifle like I do.

Also love completing a mission only to have the pubbies run straight into the front gates of the local Automaton mega-base. Meanwhile I'm sighing and sneaking around the back, blowing up the last factory, and then sneaking of as I call in the pity respawns as they come off cooldown.

I Greyhound posted:

So had my first drop with Stalkers, and those are pretty rough. I feel like they probably don't need quite so much health, they seemed to soak up shots like a Charger.

Yeah I don't mind there being stealth guys, or them being able to do a bunch of damage. I do mind them being such bullet sponges. They're the only enemy I feel is really tankier than they should be.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Vargs posted:

Once I get all the super samples required for ship upgrades I'll probably stick to 6. Maybe 7. It's just more fun to play. You can bring a larger variety of equipment without griefing your team, and the game doesn't devolve into Benny Hilling it with 3 Titans, 5 Stalkers, and the entire Chargers football team in tow anytime you encounter a single bug.

Helldivers 2: the entire Chargers football team

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alkydere posted:

Yeah I don't mind there being stealth guys, or them being able to do a bunch of damage. I do mind them being such bullet sponges. They're the only enemy I feel is really tankier than they should be.

With the health pools they have, imo it feels like most bugs should be one armor level class lower for the most part. Robots are fine, I've had literally zero issues with robots. But bugs have insanely fiddly hitboxes I find and it's weird that they feel vastly more armor protected than the faction literally made out of metal and deploying tanks.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Triarii posted:

My main complaint with the railgun after using the grenade launcher and autocannon a bunch is that it's WAY too hard to kill yourself with the thing. I've taken it on several missions and not blown it + myself up once yet. Maybe if firing rapidly caused it to heat up so the overcharge limit gradually gets lower and lower until it has a chance to cool down?

That's funny because the first thing I did when I picked up a rail gun off the ground was turn off the safety and immediately blow myself up. I found it to go off really fast.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Gave HD2 an honest bash. Super happy they seem to have stabilized the serverside issues, proud of their Discord mods insta-banning bigots, and I like the transparency of their leads. I just... I can't with all the teamkills. I know it's the tone of the game, I know respawns are generous, etc. etc. It's merely not my thing

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If I join someone else's mission do I miss out on medals I would've gotten from starting an operation?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

If I join someone else's mission do I miss out on medals I would've gotten from starting an operation?

You get medals for any mission completed

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

dog nougat posted:

You get medals for any mission completed

Is it the same number of medals?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

isk posted:

Gave HD2 an honest bash. Super happy they seem to have stabilized the serverside issues, proud of their Discord mods insta-banning bigots, and I like the transparency of their leads. I just... I can't with all the teamkills. I know it's the tone of the game, I know respawns are generous, etc. etc. It's merely not my thing

You pretty much only get teamkilled if you stand next to orbital/air strikes or turrets so just don't do that :shrug: It's rare enough for me that it's funny when it happens

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 25, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

You don't get medals that they got for missions they've already completed. But if the first mission gives 4, the second gives 6 and the third gives 8 and you join on mission 3, you get 8 from that mission.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Depends. You get whatever the quantity of medals is for the mission(s) you participate in. Like you're not going to get medals for say the first 2 missions completed if they're on their third one. The game basically throws medals at you, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just find a good squad and dispense liberty and you'll be swimming in medals in no time.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ijyt posted:

I've done 50 missions and I didn't even know that you can shoot their heads or limbs off because any shot you land turns whatever you hit into a viscera geyser

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah even the smaller bugs have limb damage modeling, it's really cool. I'm not sure about the teeny tiny ones but like you can blast limbs off the basic warrior guys and they'll crawl around trying to get you

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you blow their heads off and keep shooting there's nothing to worry about.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

turn off the TV posted:

I've done 50 missions and I didn't even know that you can shoot their heads or limbs off because any shot you land turns whatever you hit into a viscera geyser

lmao

ALso, Hellmire owns

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

My 2cents on the game after buying it at the start of the week. I didn't think it was anything special when I did a few missions on easy - normal and felt it was very overrated. Just went with it for a few more hours to see if I am missing something. Then when I unlocked challenging and hard, the game clicked with me. I did think the tone was funny but the gameplay was too easy.

Then I saw the true horrors of war. on hard..

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

My co-op gang is having so much fun with this game. The 4-player limit is somewhat annoying but we do kinda just cycle through the evening as people step out to do real life adult instead.

A future wish of mine would be epic extra player missions that basically you don't stand a chance without 6-8 players.

And thateaser cannon is honestly the best feeling weapon I've ever used in any game, by heads and shoulders. loving incredible. This is the Warhammer 40K game I always wanted.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

deep dish peat moss posted:

You pretty much only get teamkilled if you stand next to orbital/air strikes or turrets so just don't do that :shrug: It's rare enough for me that it's funny when it happens

This is as helpful as saying "just don't take damage! dummy!!"

If someone drops an Eagle near me, of course I try to get away. Same with lines of fire. If there's a wave of enemies, I set up at a good angle from teammates with some distance between us. All that stuff. However, there's only so much I can control, and there are absolutely mouthbreathers and griefers out there. It's how it goes in online games that have a large playerbase

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Playing with goons has been a Minimal Friendly Fire experience.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Friendly fire has been fairly rare. Like I only had two instances yesterday. Once when I mistook a team mate as being part of a bot squad moving on me from around a corner, and once when a teammate ran in front of me while I was shooting a big bug. (Which he accepted blame for)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
poo poo I killed my friends like five times last game I played

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Look, sometimes a man just dives in front of your barrel as you open up on some bugs.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

isk posted:

This is as helpful as saying "just don't take damage! dummy!!"

If someone drops an Eagle near me, of course I try to get away. Same with lines of fire. If there's a wave of enemies, I set up at a good angle from teammates with some distance between us. All that stuff. However, there's only so much I can control, and there are absolutely mouthbreathers and griefers out there. It's how it goes in online games that have a large playerbase

Imo once you get above extreme diff everyones generally a lot more competent so you don't really have to deal with that poo poo so much.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
If you say "danger close!" over the coms as you huck the orbital strike you're legally not liable for whatever happens next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Benagain posted:

If you say "danger close!" over the coms as you huck the orbital strike you're legally not liable for whatever happens next

See, this soldier gets it.