Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Is it time to revisit the question of whether he's a flight risk again?

The popular view seems to be "not until after he looses the election", but I will not be the least bit surprised if it happens earlier than that.

Anyhow, he should not be free rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Trump fleeing before the election would be great

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

small butter posted:

I read that if Trump is able to get a bonding company to pay, he'd have to put up only 3% and collateral. 3% is nothing, but how does collateral work in this case? Does he simply pledge "I will give you this building if I can't pay"?

I assume that if it’s a Trump Org property then the court appointed supervisor has to sign off that the property(s) is actually worth that amount and isn’t entangled in other contracts or obligations.

Which is going to take more than the 30 days he has to appeal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Agents are GO! posted:

The Trump Organization is the CERN of fraud.

The Bigly Hadron Collider

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Uglycat posted:

The popular view seems to be "not until after he looses the election", but I will not be the least bit surprised if it happens earlier than that.

No one to my knowledge has actually proposed a plausible mechanism by which an extremely famous and recognizable old man under constant Secret Service surveillance flees the country without being detected. When someone does it will be time to revisit the question.

I mean, I'd be happy to see him in jail but it's because he's continuing to do harm right now, not because he's a flight risk.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

He’d have to be certain he wasn’t going win and would be facing real consequences.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Killer robot posted:

No one to my knowledge has actually proposed a plausible mechanism by which an extremely famous and recognizable old man under constant Secret Service surveillance flees the country without being detected. When someone does it will be time to revisit the question.

I mean, I'd be happy to see him in jail but it's because he's continuing to do harm right now, not because he's a flight risk.

He won't succeed, sure, but I wouldn't put it past him to try anyway.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pikavangelist posted:

He won't succeed, sure, but I wouldn't put it past him to try anyway.

Yeah, as one of the people who thinks he's most likely to try doing a runner at some point in the future, the word "try" is load-bearing. I've been specifically saying I can't wait for it because it's going to be a darkly comedic failure.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

small butter posted:

I read that if Trump is able to get a bonding company to pay, he'd have to put up only 3% and collateral. 3% is nothing, but how does collateral work in this case? Does he simply pledge "I will give you this building if I can't pay"?

That is typically how collateralized debt works. The problem is finding a sufficiently unencumbered building and a bond company willing to do that deal with him. I suspect both will be very difficult. Also he needs 15 million cash which uhhh.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, as one of the people who thinks he's most likely to try doing a runner at some point in the future, the word "try" is load-bearing. I've been specifically saying I can't wait for it because it's going to be a darkly comedic failure.

Look at whom the last lawyer was in a trial where he ended up being on the hook for $350 million +.

But when it comes to evading the justice system, that's when he's finally going to spend the big bucks and hire Jack Bauer, Sam Fisher and Cate Archer to get him out of the country.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Does the interest on the fraud judgement (which is something like $110k/day) pause during the appeal process (assuming Trump somehow posts the bond), or does it continue accruing the entire time, and then get tagged on once that's all finished?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

The Bigly Hadron Collider

We've discovered a new type of fraud that only exists for milliseconds in laboratory conditions.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uglycat posted:

I don't see why that question would be particularly relevant right now? He's not facing jail as a result of this particular case, and even if he were to flee, all his money is tied up in bank accounts the court already has its eye on and properties that he can't take with him.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Killer robot posted:

You're making the assumption that the USSS would be opposed to him skipping town. They seem to have been pretty strong fans of his so for all we know they'd permit it or even abet it.

Also if he hasn't been barred from leaving the country (I don't know if he has or not but I feel like I remember it specifically not being imposed?) then the fact certain people know about it would, from the perspective of what they can or must do about it, be met with "So what? He's allowed to travel."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Killer robot posted:

“Hey guys, going to bed. See you tomorrow!”

Walks down stairs at Mar-a-lago and out the delivery entrance into a car, drives 3 minutes to marina, gets on boat registered to someone else. Leaves. Two hours later in Miami gets on a plane owned by someone else, flies off.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ms Adequate posted:

You're making the assumption that the USSS would be opposed to him skipping town. They seem to have been pretty strong fans of his so for all we know they'd permit it or even abet it.

Also if he hasn't been barred from leaving the country (I don't know if he has or not but I feel like I remember it specifically not being imposed?) then the fact certain people know about it would, from the perspective of what they can or must do about it, be met with "So what? He's allowed to travel."

That's kinds my take. I don't know what his specific bond conditions are but he'd have to be actively stopped and depending on how he did it that might not be a guarantee. He could, like, get on his plane and then just lie about the flight plan and dare anyone to have the balls to shoot him down. He has his own plane. Of course he's a flight risk.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

Walks down stairs at Mar-a-lago and out the delivery entrance into a car, drives 3 minutes to marina, gets on boat registered to someone else. Leaves. Two hours later in Miami gets on a plane owned by someone else, flies off.

Found the weak link in that plan.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

'im a criminal now so black people can relate to me and they like me now' is such a shitball cocktail of the ways racist people think they're all chummy with their Don't Get Me Wrongs that it is giving me impressive flashbacks to

well

dealing with trump supporters in my life. multiple

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murgos posted:

Gets on his own loving jet liner in the middle of the day and just flies away

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Or that. I was just trying to avoid having his secret service detail have an opportunity to interject themselves, not that I think they would stop him if he was all, “going to Russia now, bye” right to their faces.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
No one gave Trump a 5m bond. No one gave him an 83m bond, due tomorrow. It would seem 454 is right out. The appeal isn't a good bet. Collecting on the debt when Trump is the sitting president is a very bad risk.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

elhondo posted:

No one gave Trump a 5m bond. No one gave him an 83m bond, due tomorrow. It would seem 454 is right out. The appeal isn't a good bet. Collecting on the debt when Trump is the sitting president is a very bad risk.

I'd assume the bond company and/or NY courts could garnish his paychecks somehow, in which case (assuming they got 100% of his checks for a second term) they'd only be short $3.4 million for the first Carol defamation judgement.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

azflyboy posted:

I'd assume the bond company and/or NY courts could garnish his paychecks somehow, in which case (assuming they got 100% of his checks for a second term) they'd only be short $3.4 million for the first Carol defamation judgement.

again he'd probably just do the "oh I'm not taking a presidential salary" thing he claims that he did for his first term.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I thought he took the salary, but "donated" it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

azflyboy posted:

I thought he took the salary, but "donated" it.

His tax returns can neither confirm nor deny this.

Also whatever he said personally is 99.9% certain to be a lie anyway.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

If anyone follows the Dan Markel murder case, it was a whole conspiracy and the mother in law was snagged with one foot on a plane to Vietnam. God bless body cam footage.

Anyway, if that happened to Trump I would checks notes... lol

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Staluigi posted:

'im a criminal now so black people can relate to me and they like me now' is such a shitball cocktail of the ways racist people think they're all chummy with their Don't Get Me Wrongs that it is giving me impressive flashbacks to

well

dealing with trump supporters in my life. multiple

Even if one were to spin these statements in the most positive light possible ("I'm being unfairly treated by a biased justice system just like you people"), he's basically acknowledging a core tenet of Critical Race Theory.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Surely once he becomes president again he'll get to fixing all this injustice on day one!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

I’m fairly sure Trump does not know how to fly a jet liner.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Comedy scenario: Trump is free to flee but has been forced to sell everything, including his jet, and is too proud to fly commercial

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Comedy scenario: Trump is free to flee but has been forced to sell everything, including his jet, and is too proud to fly commercial

Trump is picked up on a raft headed to Cuba.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

Or that. I was just trying to avoid having his secret service detail have an opportunity to interject themselves, not that I think they would stop him if he was all, “going to Russia now, bye” right to their faces.

The Secret Service detail is offered to former presidents, Trump can simple waive the protection at any time. He literally has to just say "don't follow me" and they won't. It is not their job to detain or prevent him from doing anything, they are a voluntary security detail.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

kzin602 posted:

The Secret Service detail is offered to former presidents, Trump can simple waive the protection at any time. He literally has to just say "don't follow me" and they won't. It is not their job to detain or prevent him from doing anything, they are a voluntary security detail.

As the leading candidate for President, at what point would he get the detail regardless?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

As the leading candidate for President, at what point would he get the detail regardless?

Generally after the officially nomination, but he's kind of unique in that he's a former one and he probably likes having armed guards he can order around.

Obama got the security detail when Hillary was refusing to drop out, iirc. Especially after she randomly mused about Bobby Kennedy.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
It's so funny that Haley is going for a Homer win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhvIISDoarU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Haha someone did it: https://trumpdebtcounter.com/

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Trump is not really in control of his businesses in NY but the monitor is, correct? So what happens when the deadline comes? Is the monitor looking at what to liquidate now or does that process start at the deadline? Does she liquidate? Does Letitia James? How long does liquidation take for something like this?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

small butter posted:

Trump is not really in control of his businesses in NY but the monitor is, correct? So what happens when the deadline comes? Is the monitor looking at what to liquidate now or does that process start at the deadline? Does she liquidate? Does Letitia James? How long does liquidation take for something like this?

Appealing a judgment generally pauses that judgement. Depending on the state and type of case the law can impose certain requirements before a defendant can appeal - and thus pause - a judgment. Criminal defendants, for instance, generally need to stay on bail conditions during their appeal. The requirement in NY civil cases is (apparently) to put the judgment amount in the court's escrow. If Trump can't do that, then he can't appeal, which means the judgment doesn't pause.

If the judgement doesn't pause it becomes a "final judgment" which is a legal term of art referring to when all the appeals are done. Like here, he has thirty days to appeal and if he doesn't then the judgment becomes final at the end of that thirty days. A plaintiff can then take that final judgment and do alllllllllllllll sorts of fun and exciting things. Those things, however, all require more paperwork, but at that point the judgment is bulletproof so it's not like he can hope to ignore it. His interest in those buildings gets sold, his bank accounts get handed over, and his nonessential stuff gets seized and sold.

I would only be speculating what the paperwork would entail, but likely some judge would authorize the title transfer like when cars get seized with drugs and guns in them, then the municipality flips it out of the impound lot. There's process for it. I know you asked for specifics of what that process is but that's outside my expertise sorry.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ms Adequate posted:

Commander and Major have been trying to warn us, but nobody will listen.

It amazes me that of all the Presidents in my lifetime, Donald Trump is the one to somehow instill a near undying loyalty in the Secret Service. There's no way he was kinder to them or treated them better than of the other Presidents. Yet he's the only one who got enough buy in and support that they even helped try and cover his rear end in his coupe attempt.

Like, I can kind of get how some dumbfuck who only knows the powerful businessman and wealthy billionaire he sees on TV can believe in Big Daddy Trump. But how the hell do you hang around with that disgusting hate golem 24/7 and decide you're a ride or die bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gyges posted:

Commander and Major have been trying to warn us, but nobody will listen.

It amazes me that of all the Presidents in my lifetime, Donald Trump is the one to somehow instill a near undying loyalty in the Secret Service. There's no way he was kinder to them or treated them better than of the other Presidents. Yet he's the only one who got enough buy in and support that they even helped try and cover his rear end in his coupe attempt.

Like, I can kind of get how some dumbfuck who only knows the powerful businessman and wealthy billionaire he sees on TV can believe in Big Daddy Trump. But how the hell do you hang around with that disgusting hate golem 24/7 and decide you're a ride or die bitch.

I think we just cannot grok his appeal to cops and cop-adjacent people, like we get it intellectually and can write reams about why, but without feeling it ourselves it can never truly make sense to us.

Or maybe they're all super petty bitches and were just immensely overjoyed at Trump constantly poo poo-talking all the diplomats and congresspeople and reporters that their professionalism restricts them from doing.

On the money topic, I think I just thought of the funniest possible outcome of the appeal, which is that he manages to just eke out the needed amount to lodge the appeal through various desperate gambles and loans he insists he'll pay back once this thing is overturned and he's President again; and then Habba does some sort of cataclysmic procedural gently caress up and the appeal isn't actually filed.