Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I think herzog is just inextricable from eschatology and lyrically yelling at us about a weird God who hates us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZKBnM1XE9o

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Peccadillo posted:

I think herzog is just inextricable from eschatology and lyrically yelling at us about a weird God who hates us

His autobiography is literally titled "Every Man for Himself and God Against All."

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Is he still a practicing Catholic? That kind of anger doesn't come from a "lapsed" catholic or an atheist. It's not mocking how God would be if He were real it's being super pissed at the one you believe does.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bright Bart posted:

Is he still a practicing Catholic? That kind of anger doesn't come from a "lapsed" catholic or an atheist. It's not mocking how God would be if He were real it's being super pissed at the one you believe does.

I dunno, I haven't finished the book.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

That episode about the old lady who never leaves her apartment or lets anyone in because she's afraid any person she meets might turn out to be Robert Redford?

No this one

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7290295428308946219

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Drive-Away Dolls was pretty good, though my audience seemed incapable of laughing. Very light and silly, but there's stuff there I'm not equipped to unpack (90's Democrats loving each other with Republican cocks?. Also the cuts to the statues, which completely went over my head (heh).

Didn't vibe with some of the scene transitions tbh.

Best joke is the title card reveal at the end, though I'm guessing it's gonna result in a lot of semantic arguments about the film.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 24, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ruddiger posted:

Like that twilight zone episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwUdL9qXjk&t=17s

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What are your favourite films where it becomes a completely different movie halfway through. The main characters die off or just disappear and new characters are introduced. Or a drama becomes an action flick.

An example of this, although perhaps not a stellar movie, is Better Watch Out. It starts off as a babysitter and her charge fleeing from a home invader. Then it turns out there was no home invader. It was staged by the kid and his friend maybe to impress the girl because he's into her. Then when she reacts poorly (like anyone would) and doesn't see it as a romantic gesture, he moves on to torturing her for the third and fourth acts.

A movie I actually liked and won't spoil the name of because it is just a stellar film you might come across eventually is Cabin in the Woods. For those who are deciding whether to hover over, think teenagers acting like in a typical horror movie after finding a scary tome and then it turns out there's a reason for that.

Bonus points if the change-up is seemingly unintentional.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Sorry I know this isn't a movie but I always love talking about this.

Nostromo is a novel that most people neglect in favour of some of Joseph Conrad's other works. But it's considered his best (and plausibly one of the best works in English period) by many academics and critics.

In the first part, Nostromo is a character that appears only in the talk of other characters with bigger roles. And he is talked about as a combination saint and superhero. He's a war hero and beloved by all. The rich love him because he handles their problems. The poor love him because he's generous. The politicians love him because his presence dampens discontent in the plebs. Patriots love him because they think he secretly supports the revolution. He makes one appearance in person to show that his reputation is accurate. But it's not from his point of view.

Then when you finally really meet him as the POV character he's a broken shell of a man who has become someone else entirely.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 24, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I guess From Dusk Till Dawn is like the archetype of this.

One recent indie example was Border (2018).

Given the nature of the Q both should obviously be watched without any googling.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sunrise is kinda this. Sets itself up as a love triangle melodrama and then becomes something else altogether.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In The Bedroom was a huge critical success that we don't talk about much anymore and it takes a bit of a left turn about halfway through.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Paths of Glory goes from a war film to a courtroom drama in the second half. The Birds is a romcom before it becomes a horror picture. The Handmaiden switches genres like three times.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Seeing From Dusk Till Dawn on opening night, having no idea what it was about besides "hey, new Quentin Tarantino written movie directed by Robert Rodriguez" (because pre-internet, things could still be kept secret and be surprising), while being pretty drat high is one of my favorite movie experiences. Just struggling to comprehend what was going on and what I was seeing and how to fit it into the framework of the world the movie had thus far presented was maybe the most confused I can remember ever being.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I showed Dusk till Dawn to my nephew* once. I just said it was a crime film. When the vampires showed up he literally stood up and said "dude, what the gently caress... what the gently caress, dude... wait, what the gently caress?". He loved it. Now he's a medical doctor and I choose to believe there's a direct connection between those events.

*Who because my family is weird is only two years younger than me.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

I showed Dusk till Dawn to my nephew ... Now he's a medical doctor and I choose to believe there's a direct connection between those events.

Is he a podiatrist?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

*Who because my family is weird is only two years younger than me.

I teach a girl in 9th grade who I know has an aunt in 7th grade and I am still not prepared to deal with that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Both my siblings have grandchildren.

I'm 33.

My mother has two great grandchildren. She's 70.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My sisters are both more than 10 years older than me but they waited until they were about 40 to start having kids so the cousins are all relatively close in age.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Malignant and Death Proof

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Does the f13 remake count? The opening feels like it's own movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The first episode of Bang Brave Bang Bravern

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A whole lot of people listing actual villains in the replies.

https://x.com/RealEmirHan/status/1761490328463565019?s=20

Like Dolores Umbrage in Harry Potter, and freaking Humbert Humbert in Lolita, and Denzel Washington's character in Training Day.

Edit: I forgot how many people hated the wife in Breaking Bad.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 25, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Her name is skylar white, yo

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What are some examples of movies where someone’s great sacrifice isn’t just being willing to die for the greater good, but also die with a disgraced reputation? These are dorky examples but I’m thinking of things like Eddie in Stranger Things 4 or The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

A whole lot of people listing actual villains in the replies.

https://x.com/RealEmirHan/status/1761490328463565019?s=20

Like Dolores Umbrage in Harry Potter, and freaking Humbert Humbert in Lolita, and Denzel Washington's character in Training Day.

Edit: I forgot how many people hated the wife in Breaking Bad.

I mean starting the thread with a victim of severe abuse who never really does anything bad to Forest is not setting an amazing tone to begin with

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

What are some examples of movies where someone’s great sacrifice isn’t just being willing to die for the greater good, but also die with a disgraced reputation? These are dorky examples but I’m thinking of things like Eddie in Stranger Things 4 or The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3.

He doesn't sacrifice his life, but Batman sacrifices his reputation to protect Dent's in The Dark Knight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean starting the thread with a victim of severe abuse who never really does anything bad to Forest is not setting an amazing tone to begin with

I only saw the thread because someone retweeted it with a picture of Rory Gilmore, which I kinda believe.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Cloverfield was a fun surprise movie for me just because I got dragged into the midnight release by some friends after having somehow completely been missed by all the marketing and commercials. I mean I dont think I thought at the time it was gonna be a movie about a party in New York or something but i was basically blind and boy that was a hell of a ride, great theater experience.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I only saw the thread because someone retweeted it with a picture of Rory Gilmore, which I kinda believe.

haha yeah that's a fair one, although I feel like tho Rory sucks it's more that everyone around her sets her up as the Most Special and Perfect Person of All Time and this really fucks her head up which explains why in the sequel mini-series she has no real clue what she wants to do and ends up getting knocked up by Star Wars cosplayer

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pirate Jet posted:

It's not Death but I love the movie Frank not because of the story around Frank. But rather Gleason's character who realizes he is ultimately talentless and only brute forced his way to where he is. The only reason to rectify the situation is to remove himself from it... Not as a sacrifice but as a realization he was the problem.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Pirate Jet posted:

idk if it exactly fits your criteria but I am thinking about Mother Night, even though it's more well known as a Vonnegut book.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guilty pleasure for normal people:
Something slightly camp or silly

Guilty pleasure for me:
The works of fascist authors who would 100% shoot me as a degenerate, communist , and genetic defect if given even the slightest chance. (Yukio Mishima, Death in June, all of Norwegian black metal. 40% of country music, also RRR)

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Guilty pleasure for me:
The works of fascist authors who would 100% shoot me as a degenerate, communist , and genetic defect if given even the slightest chance. (Yukio Mishima, Death in June, all of Norwegian black metal. 40% of country music, also RRR)

Who among us hasn’t had a wry chuckle at Mein Kampf?

I’m quite enjoying the TV series Reacher even though I shouldn’t.

I tried a Mishima recently. Couldn’t get into it. Found it dull

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The key to Mishima is to read it as a literary version of Tom of Finland.

E:
Except with a lot more glorification of suicide. Obviously.

Also Tom of Finland was a literal Nazi collaborator.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 26, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Guilty pleasure for me:

You should read Nazi Literature in the Americas. It's a bunch of short biographies of (fictional) fascist authors mostly in Central and South America during the first half of the 20th century.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mishima had a healthy respect for communists who held their beliefs with conviction. For example in Runaway Horses when the young ultranationalist gets arrested and is absolutely seething when he hears the sound of the communists being tortured while he, being of the same dimension but of different degrees gets a slap on the wrist and a note not to assassinate any capitalists instead of being beaten and flayed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean yeah

When I was working on my B.A. thesis on the discourse and ideology of the interwar fascist movement in Iceland I once stumbled upon a newsletter by one of the more hardline factions where they complained that most of their compatriots were just middle class weekend fascists who were bound to the traditional conservative party which was just a class party for the upper class in the same way that the communists were a class party for the workers. And I remember thinking "they're not wrong".

Of course after the war even the hardliners merged into the old conservatives.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 26, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Watching Brotherhood of the Wolf, and this is already very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Waffleman_ posted:

Watching Brotherhood of the Wolf, and this is already very cool

I remember seeing that in theaters and of the ~10 other people in the showing, a couple of middle-age guys got up and stomped out snarling once it became obvious that it was in French