Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, it's usually the people with 20 years of replaying it using Dungeon Be Gone because they can do it in their sleep. It's otherwise a Liberty Island type set piece where it's the only place in the game that is 1 of every gameplay idea which actually makes it the best test bed for figuring out if you dig the mechanics or roleplay possibilities of your character idea.

"Little long" is probably correct but I'd extend that argument to every IE set piece that isn't in IWD (and 1 or 3 of them in IWD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

who the gently caress finds candlekeep fun?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zedprime posted:

Yeah, it's usually the people with 20 years of replaying it using Dungeon Be Gone because they can do it in their sleep. It's otherwise a Liberty Island type set piece where it's the only place in the game that is 1 of every gameplay idea which actually makes it the best test bed for figuring out if you dig the mechanics or roleplay possibilities of your character idea.

"Little long" is probably correct but I'd extend that argument to every IE set piece that isn't in IWD (and 1 or 3 of them in IWD)

I've been using Dungeon-B-Gone for so long that I've honestly forgotten what the Chateau holds :ohdear: I'm sure if I walked through there it'd be familiar again, but you know, gently caress that noise

Now, the Temple of Trials in F2 :argh:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jay Rust posted:

😅

I absolutely adore playing through Candlekeep. But it would not surprise me if this were one of many areas where the fact that it seems like some people restart RPGs 10 times as often as I do is coming into play. Every time I read about how infuriating it is to play through Fallout 2's Temple of Trials or the opening of Skyrim or something I think about how I put hundreds of hours into both games but only on, like, two playthroughs at most, so of course I am not sick of the intro. I have probably played Candlekeep six or seven times, but that is over 25 years.

Edit: I did not coordinate this post with Rappaport

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jay Rust posted:

Me. Having a character just doing menial chores before taking on the gods themselves 4,000 hours later is a fantastic experience and adds to the "humble beginnings" feel that makes Baldur's Gate 1 so special to me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

who the gently caress finds menial chores fun?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Me! It's not overly drawn out as these sequences go and serves to show you your happy, isolated from the world childhood before poo poo hits the fan.

Deadfire's Berath sequence is far more of a repetitive drag by comparison, though the actual tutorial portions once you hit the beach I never tire of. But given the very large reactivity in Deadfire to your Pillars actions, it's understandable to have that sequence. It's just slow as hell.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There's something kind of zen about going around collecting MY antidote potion and MY identify scroll and...okay the lady can have her book back, I'm not a complete rear end in a top hat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

😅

I absolutely adore playing through Candlekeep. But it would not surprise me if this were one of many areas where the fact that it seems like some people restart RPGs 10 times as often as I do is coming into play. Every time I read about how infuriating it is to play through Fallout 2's Temple of Trials or the opening of Skyrim or something I think about how I put hundreds of hours into both games but only on, like, two playthroughs at most, so of course I am not sick of the intro. I have probably played Candlekeep six or seven times, but that is over 25 years.

Edit: I did not coordinate this post with Rappaport

I’m with you 100%. Character creation is done on the character creation screen. I’ll have done some research and figured out what I want to do already, and then I just play the game end to end. I’ve probably done Candlekeep the most, but I was a kid who was learning how to play games for adults and had a bunch of false starts in BG1 because of it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

docbeard posted:

There's something kind of zen about going around collecting MY antidote potion and MY identify scroll and...okay the lady can have her book back, I'm not a complete rear end in a top hat.

the gently caress? You'll let those quests stay in your Active Quests list forever?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

the gently caress? You'll let those quests stay in your Active Quests list forever?

Sometimes I look at them and smile about how Firebeer Elvenpants never got his Identify Scroll even after he paid me 300 gp to go away

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

You sick bastard... Mods?!?!?!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I love candlekeep.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve also never skipped Chateaux Irenicus. It’s a fantastically designed little dungeon crawl and I could never imagine skipping it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I hate Candlekeep but that's because I only had the BG1 demo for the longest time and played through that poo poo a million times. It took me a long time to figure out how to successfully kill everybody in Candlekeep.

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve also never skipped Chateaux Irenicus. It’s a fantastically designed little dungeon crawl and I could never imagine skipping it.

Yeah, it's a really tight dungeon. I've always wanted to try and adapt it to tabletop, but I'd first need to find some players that haven't touched BG2.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Candlekeep comes with a built in skip at least. Buy some gear go talk to Gorion and it’s over in just a minute.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Candlekeep is fun on Ironman runs because it's hilarious when you die to Shank or Carbos

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ginette Reno posted:

Candlekeep is fun on Ironman runs because it's hilarious when you die to Shank or Carbos

Not sure if it’s the Unfinished Business mod or vanilla game, but I just ran into their mom in Baldurs Gate. Hilarious!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I love Irenicus' dungeon, it plays like a really great little tabletop module. I'd never skip it.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Likewise, I like chateau Irenicus and it's so short and easy I don't see myself ever getting sick of it.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I admit I didn't have the patience for Chateau Irenicus when I was a teen just wanting to chain run games over and over but now that I only sit down and play BG once a year I can really appreciate how much of a great little dungeon it is.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Had there been any mods yet to successfully implement the Black Pits 1 and 2 into the campaign of BG1 and 2, respectively? I’ve never played them and likely never will as I don’t see the point of them being separate.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

chaosapiant posted:

Had there been any mods yet to successfully implement the Black Pits 1 and 2 into the campaign of BG1 and 2, respectively? I’ve never played them and likely never will as I don’t see the point of them being separate.

No, why you hide something deep inside a game that you can already do right from the main menu? The entire point of the black pits is that it is a tactical challenge that gates your experience and magical item possession. It's only a challenge because it knows you aren't coming in with extra levels and overpowered gear. Each fight you are at a set experience level and have a set amount of gold to spend on items.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I understand the sentiment as someone who will undoubtedly never play either of them as they are now but would probably be intrigued if someone threw the fight pits into, like, Dragonspear and Saradush or something weird like that. But yes I understand the way they are scripted that would make no sense

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dr. Quarex posted:

I understand the sentiment as someone who will undoubtedly never play either of them as they are now but would probably be intrigued if someone threw the fight pits into, like, Dragonspear and Saradush or something weird like that. But yes I understand the way they are scripted that would make no sense

It’s this. Beamdog already demonstrated with their content that they could have integrated BP with the games. I’m all for more content, but if I just want a series of combat challenges, I’ll play Icewind Dale.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I'm almost certain Sandrah does this, but it might be a fever dream as it's been awhile since I've last read Vichan's complete mental breakdown

Needless to say, do not install Sandrah

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Rappaport posted:

I'm almost certain Sandrah does this, but it might be a fever dream as it's been awhile since I've last read Vichan's complete mental breakdown

Needless to say, do not install Sandrah

Sandrah does do that, yeah.

Do NOT install Sandrah.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a mod that fixes the Black Pits? I spent a couple hours trying to beat 2 and it was fundamentally broken.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pentyne posted:

Is there a mod that fixes the Black Pits? I spent a couple hours trying to beat 2 and it was fundamentally broken.

I have no idea, I've never played them.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

chaosapiant posted:

I have no idea, I've never played them.

They're not that great, another reason very few people would probably not bother to do anything with them. Black Pits 1 was... very underwhelming. Not challenging at all. Black pits 2 I never finished, but it wasn't any more fun.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Next time I play a heavily modded EET playthrough I'm gonna cut down XP awards by like half, I think. Not that I mind being able to piledrive everything in the Underdark with my six million XP ubercharacters but it's probably not the intended experience.

(Watcher's Keep on SCS Insane was still a real trip, tho)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of EET, how is that experience these days, compared to modded individual installations of BG1 and BG2?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of EET, how is that experience these days, compared to modded individual installations of BG1 and BG2?

It does what it does well, though you have to be wary of compatibility issues with some other mods (in particular quest mods for BG1 can be a bit problematic because of the way EET imports and renames some BG1 assets).

That being said, and I play with it almost exclusively these days, I'm not sure there's any actual good reason to do so beyond a minor bit of convenience. It probably makes certain specific heavily modded installations, such as those with a lot of custom spells and kits, a bit more reliable and/or easy to maintain though. I think it's fine, good even, but I don't know that I'd recommend going out of your way to set it up if you're happy with the way you do things now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The only content mods I run are UB for both games and the banter pack for BG1. Plus Tweaks Anthology, Iwdification and the Dragonspear UI++. Would those be safe?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Off the top of my head, I think so. There are a few mods (and BG1 UB is one of them I think) that you need to install in BG1 prior to installing EET (most everything else installs fine afterwards) so make sure you read up on everything in advance.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Last question: if I’m at a between-game transfer point (ie: I just beat Sarevok and started Siege) is it safe to nuke my current installation and install EET? Then load my save into EET?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This is the load order I'm planning to use for my first EET-based run whenever I get to it (waiting for latest SCS and Talents of Faerun to be more stable first): https://gist.github.com/v1ld/107bb29dddad5493c74e36a41296639c

Like I said, first time I'm running EET so take it with a grain of salt.

There's some reason I'm not using DUI++ that I cannot remember now. But it turns out that EEUITweaks can fix most of my issues with the default EE game's UI (the heavy side bars can be hidden, I find those a bit oppressive on a smaller screen like the Deck's).

I also have a subset of the above on the iPad - but am not planning to play through there but rather on the Deck.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Last question: if I’m at a between-game transfer point (ie: I just beat Sarevok and started Siege) is it safe to nuke my current installation and install EET? Then load my save into EET?

Probably not.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Even after 20+ years of playing these games, I’ve never touched difficulty mods like SCS. What is this Talents of Faerun mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Even after 20+ years of playing these games, I’ve never touched difficulty mods like SCS. What is this Talents of Faerun mod?

It's a new in-development mod by the same person who created SCS, adds a bunch of extra class/race/skill/spell options to the game. I last tried it around its first or second beta and it still needed a lot of work/had a lot of game-breaking bugs. It's had a number of beta version since, but it's still very much in development and I honestly couldn't tell you how compatible it is with anything else right now.

And to add to my rather quick reply above, installing basically any mods on an existing save game is almost always a bad idea. You can get away with it with some mods sometimes, but most of the time it will wreck your save and there's no way around that.