Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

seriously doubt the viability of keeping this thread open until the final shape drops. we're devolving into a chat thread with alcoholics anonymous vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

MJeff posted:

I'm doing strikes to get an Auto-Loading Disorienting Grenade Empty Vessel. One of my Hero Nightfall runs took 28 minutes and getting banned is starting to seem like a decent alternative. :geno:

What about crafting pardon our dust?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GodspeedSphere posted:

Empty vessel is energy slot

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Kith posted:

seriously doubt the viability of keeping this thread open until the final shape drops. we're devolving into a chat thread with alcoholics anonymous vibes

Healing has to start somewhere

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Turkey Farts posted:

...my advice to avoid getting banned is to simply not cheat

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Kith posted:

my brother in crust, we are just fine

after you’ve spent a while in the eve online threads, this thread is downright congenial by comparison

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ullerrm posted:

after you’ve spent a while in the eve online threads

the alcoholics anonymous bit was a joke you didn't need to hit us with a confession

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

gently caress

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GodspeedSphere posted:

I agree that I should be able to equip my level 30 Pardon Our Dust and Malfesance at the same time and it is cancel culture that I can't.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

MJeff posted:

I'm doing strikes to get an Auto-Loading Disorienting Grenade Empty Vessel. One of my Hero Nightfall runs took 28 minutes and getting banned is starting to seem like a decent alternative. :geno:

just make sure you get danger zone on it too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Holy poo poo, yes.

There really is nothing like that feeling of suspense you get when you see that it has Disorienting Grenades and you have to go inspect to see if it has Auto-Loading.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm so goddamn lazy with this game, and don't play nearly as much as I thought. I don't think I've done multiple vendor resets in many seasons, but worse is I'm clearing out backlogs of quests and realising things I've left for so long.

I have now finished:
Parasite quest
Shadowkeep campaign
Some exotic catalyst quests
Outstanding seasonal final missions I apparently never did for some reason???

Planning to just finish the last couple steps of like a dozen other things too. Apparently it's season of stop leaving things 75% done for me lol

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I've been doing the same. I have literal years of exotic quests clogging my pursuits.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

MJeff posted:

I agree that I should be able to equip my level 30 Pardon Our Dust and Malfesance at the same time and it is cancel culture that I can't.

Combining the first two weapon slots into a general pool would absolutely be one of the biggest QoL changes they could push.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it would also make the inventory system poo poo the bed immediately

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

have they ever changed the slot of a weapon except for between D1 and D2?

tbh with how frequently stasis and strand weapons appear now I kinda don't really see the value in separating them anymore but I'm with you on it probably being an untenable operation from the db perspective, unless they could hotwire infusion and slot filtering easily.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

weren't shotguns power weapons at some point

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In year 1, most of the special weapons were power weapons, yeah.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

so it's not just possible, it seems like it's totally doable

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Don't give them more Year 1 ideas

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shotguns should be in the power slot, but only when in crucible.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Year 1 weapons were the weirdest loving thing in hindsight. That was before I was hardcore enough to care about dps calculations, so I don't know how the actual numbers worked out, but having one slot to choose between a shotgun or a rocket launcher seemed like an incredibly dumb choice, one to which I said "rocket launcher" to every time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was even weirder because rolls were all fixed, so at any given moment there was an objective best weapon of each archetype (maybe even an objective best weapon in the game) and it wouldn’t change until the next content drop

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

my rearward facing blinders are really purging my memory on how things were back then. I mean I remember now but there's a part of me that rejects that the history was true and real

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

It sucked poo poo and lol nvr 4git

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing I always remember about Y1 was in the betas and demos. Bungie said they retooled it all for the esports sweaties, to make it truly an esport like Counterstrike, or like Halo was ruined into by 343. To their credit, the sweatlords told them, repeatedly, "this sucks, we want D1" and were rebuffed.

For once, MLG Mountainmen weren't the ones to gently caress the game up and actually tried to get Bungie to course correct lmao

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think one of the weirdest phenomenons of sunset weapons has got to be when they're reissued, with identical stats and similar perk pools and the response is "wow this sucks now". Sometimes it's because they take out the real godroll perk combo people loved, but often it's just because it's powercrept to hell now, which makes me wonder of a bunch of sunset weapons how many would still be regularly used considering the better options available. Obviously there'd be some favourites, but I feel like a lot would've been naturally phased out by now even if they weren't sunset.

Which makes me wonder if we ever needed sunsetting to get people to use different things, but also makes me wonder how big of an impact sunsetting really had in the long run (besides reputation lol).

I think we're at the point where a lot of sunset weapons are back in some form anyway, right? It's basically Dawn and Forge weapons left? I'd say also older playlist weapons but they seem to just be reissuing those anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dawn, Forge, and the old pinnacle pursuit weapons, some of which were insanely overpowered and getting rid of them was one of their goals

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Ah yeah the Pinnacle weapons. Which I feel like now they'd just spot nerf them, like they do Immortal and its ilk.

Also with the Prophecy update we now only have two dungeons (Grasp and Pit) and two raids (Vault and Garden) that haven't had the loot itself refreshed with origin traits, which is kind of neat. It's actually good to know they're at least going back over older endgame content. Altho still loling that Shattered Throne is just stuff you can get via Blind Well pretty easily.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Guns that remain to be brought back:

Red War simple looking scavenged stuff
Levianthan weapons
Mercury Forge/Osiris/Lost Prophecy weapons
Mars/Braytech weapons (osprey and technically werewolf are in but...)
Tangled Shore/Eliksni weapons (some of these sneak in, like lethal abundance is a reskin of these autos)
Black Armoury
Gambit Prime/Reckoning weapons
Season of the Undying grown over weapons
Season of the Undying Vex-construction weapons
Season of Dawn Saint-14 inspired weapons
Trophy Hunter and Pyroclastic flow
Crown of Sorrows

Plus they've been bringing back a bunch of the other foundries so I think there are still a few random green and blue weapons they could turn legendary.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Give me back my goddamn Pillager. I don't care what it takes. I don't care what aliens I have to hurt. I just want to hear my boy sing again.

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

I’m on Xbox and running into a weird problem. Whenever I get a fireteam invite from the destiny looking for group phone app, I see it appear and I go to hit accept but nothing happens.

I tried restarting the game and my Xbox but nothing has solved it. Has anyone else ran into this and know how to fix it?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
DPS in year one was an absolutely bizarre experience. You got like two full rear end minutes to damage Calus but 75% of that was plinking away at him with an auto rifle. And without Well of Radiance, damage phases were actually somewhat dangerous.

I kind of got what they were going for with sunsetting. The idea was they could put really strong stuff in the game but it wouldn't be too oppressive because it would get cycled out eventually. This didn't just apply to weapons like Mountaintop, Not Forgotten and Recluse, but to mods like Warmind Cells.

Now all of that stuff just seems kind of quaint compared to subclass 3.0 and the artifact mods we have now. Oh your Warmind Cell build can blow up an entire room? Have you met my good friend Sunshot?

Even Recluse would probably be kind of poo poo now because all legendary primaries feel like garbage.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sunday at work posted:

Combining the first two weapon slots into a general pool would absolutely be one of the biggest QoL changes they could push.
I agree, but my bad take that I secretly think is good is that they should go in the opposite direction, back to primary / secondary / heavy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I agree, but my bad take that I secretly think is good is that they should go in the opposite direction, back to primary / secondary / heavy.

That's never happening with the way the artifact works so I assume this is your fiendish plan to get champions removed from the game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

syntaxfunction posted:

Which makes me wonder if we ever needed sunsetting to get people to use different things, but also makes me wonder how big of an impact sunsetting really had in the long run (besides reputation lol).

mountaintop, recluse, and wendigo were 99% of the reason that sunsetting happened. it was a complete, versatile loadout with Exotic level power in every slot that could be pulled from collections.

the other 1% was that bungie was either too afraid or too inexperienced to make good perks. outlaw/rampage ruled every gun it was available for because there just wasn't anything else worth chasing. even if they weren't suited to your playstyle, the power bumps that those gave were so far beyond any other perk that there was no point in chasing anything else

anyway it turned out that pinnacles were too strong for sunsetting and eventually had to be solved by targeted nerfs anyway, the thing that everyone told them to do from day 1

outlaw/rampage being king poo poo of turd mountain was solved by weapon design maturing further and guns getting better perks and balance, the other thing that everyone told them to do from day 1

the moral of the story is that bungie is good at tuning videogames but not good at balancing them and thinking ahead (or just listening to their community) is not their strong point

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think the moral of the story is that Luke Smith was bad at that stuff.

Joegoroth turned out to be okay at that stuff and bad at entirely different stuff.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

luke smith was responsible for an entirely different set of problems unrelated to sunsetting. luke smith sucked rear end but he is not the boogeyman behind everything.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought sunsetting was the thing that got him booted upstairs. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kith posted:

anyway it turned out that pinnacles were too strong for sunsetting and eventually had to be solved by targeted nerfs anyway, the thing that everyone told them to do from day 1

It's more that because sunsetting only hit power level, it left them usable in every mode that didn't use power level, including most of crucible, so it didn't accomplish the goal in the first place