Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Skeezy posted:

Kick myself constantly that I’ve never seen the Flips live.

One day.

I had tickets in 2011, then a final exam got rescheduled. Haven't tried to see them since. That and Toro Y Moi in 2015 are the only two shows I've ever missed and I still haven't made either up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
I turned down free tickets to Alive 2008 because I was tired after work :(

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Costco Meatballs posted:

Oh..oh brother I think this will take the cake. No need to go any further.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
:rip:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Costco Meatballs posted:

Oh what the gently caress

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Also this song reminds me of the glory days of Cults. I've had this on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeUiA1K9ITs

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
If the Lips were coming to my city, it'd be the easiest concert to buy tickets for.

Yoshimi was so monumental to me in terms of musical discovery in my youth, even though I don't consider it my favourite album ever. It is one of the few CDs I actually remember where I was when purchasing, and then the time spent listening immediately after. As quaint as the thought is now, it made me realize music could be more than what I was already listening to.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like they're skipping nyc in favor of some apple orchard in the middle of nowhere way way upstate lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Twin Cinema posted:

If the Lips were coming to my city, it'd be the easiest concert to buy tickets for.

Yoshimi was so monumental to me in terms of musical discovery in my youth, even though I don't consider it my favourite album ever. It is one of the few CDs I actually remember where I was when purchasing, and then the time spent listening immediately after. As quaint as the thought is now, it made me realize music could be more than what I was already listening to.

Yeah my brother gave it to me, I had no idea who the Flaming Lips were at the moment, and I was blown away. This was a bit later in my life than when I first discovered music but it definitely took me down a different path.

Also that 5.1 dvd mix they did some years back is stellar too. Well worth the listen.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Costco Meatballs posted:

You’re never gonna live this one down. That’s crazy

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Costco Meatballs posted:

Don’t beat yourself up over this. You’re only human, after all.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I've seen the Lips twice. Their own show was amazing, no complaints.

When I saw them at Bonnaroo late night it was half their stuff and half of their version of Dark Side of the Moon. And like during 'Time' Wayne would be like "Time...it's time to legalize weed!" and the crowd gave a half cheer because it's 1:00 AM at Bonnaroo come on man. No one is saying no. Otherwise they were good

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Seen the lips a bunch though not recently. One of the best shows I’ve ever been to was Madison square garden New Year’s Eve 2004 with Wilco, flaming lips, and sleater-kinney.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

angrygodofjebus posted:

I've seen the Lips twice. Their own show was amazing, no complaints.

When I saw them at Bonnaroo late night it was half their stuff and half of their version of Dark Side of the Moon. And like during 'Time' Wayne would be like "Time...it's time to legalize weed!" and the crowd gave a half cheer because it's 1:00 AM at Bonnaroo come on man. No one is saying no. Otherwise they were good

Lmao

The flaming lips are definitely narcs

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New Real Estate and MGMT albums are out today.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got my Lips tickets. Taking my 5 and 10 year old to the show too!

(edit: it's an outdoor show and we got lawn tickets)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skeezy posted:

New Real Estate and MGMT albums are out today.
I'm listening to the new MGMT now, and I know I'm probably in the minority since a lot of people loved their last album, but I'm still of the opinion that nothing they've made since Oracular Spectacular has the same amount of energy.

To me, they suffer from the Bloc Party effect: absolutely incredible debut, but everything after feels weak by comparison

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

I'm listening to the new MGMT now, and I know I'm probably in the minority since a lot of people loved their last album, but I'm still of the opinion that nothing they've made since Oracular Spectacular has the same amount of energy.

To me, they suffer from the Bloc Party effect: absolutely incredible debut, but everything after feels weak by comparison

Yeah you’re absolutely tripping. Their only bad album is their third one

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Nah, Rage is right. They pivoted so hard away from that sound. Imagine Cut Copy doing that right after their first one. What would have been MGMT's In Ghost Colours. This is the poo poo that keeps me up at night! Like what that shelved Klaxons album sounds like.

They should have never shortened their name. Kept the pronunciation "The Management". If Letterman says your name is the management, your name is forever the management.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
My wife was just watching some instagram video and it had some weird remix/cover/highly processed version of Electric Feel yesterday and I actually turned and made her hand me her phone going "what is this?"

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah you’re absolutely tripping. Their only bad album is their third one

:hmmyes:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
tbh I think MGMT's third album would be excellent if almost every song was about half as long. they just get dragged out way too much.

I'm loving Loss of Life

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
their third album is their best one (astro-mancy sucks tho)

the new one's up there for sure. great stuff.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MGMT album is good, the real estate one is about the same thing that they always do. I don't mind it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I mean, even if you are an ocular spectacular stan, you gotta admit little dark age is a banger album. that album is the only reason people have been talking about mgmt in 2024. revived their drat career.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
the new mgmt album is… MID!

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

New MGMT is good but all the non-singles sound like the same song. At least it's a good song.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
All MGMT bangs except the 3rd album.

I'm pretty much just parroting the general consensus here.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So these Lemon Twigs fellows are pretty drat good

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Rageaholic posted:

Says you, A Weekend in the City is also fuckin great :colbert:

Everything since then has been a massive let down

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Shageletic posted:

Looks like they're skipping nyc in favor of some apple orchard in the middle of nowhere way way upstate lol

This is bullshit I'm not going all the way upstate no matter how dope the show will be.

Seen the FLips 3 or 4 times, first time was at Cornell University in '10 on the Embryonic tour and it was a religious experience. I kind of checked out on them after the Terror but that 2010 tour was loving amazing, I saw them in Central Park as well later in the year.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

Captain_Person posted:

Cosign. If those drums at the start of Song for Clay don't make you just want to take off sprinting down the street or pedaling down a hill at full tilt I don't want to know you

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It had some good songs but also some really bad ones too.

Weekend and Intimacy both have their moments but silent alarm doesn’t have a bad song on it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The National and the War on Drugs are doing a small tour together. Would love to see that.

Sep 12 — Gilford, NH
Sep 13 — New York, NY
Sep 14 — Mansfield, MA
Sep 16 — Columbia, MD
Sep 17 — Philadelphia, PA
Sep 19 — Laval, QC
Sep 20 — Toronto, ON
Sep 21 — Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Sep 24 — Chicago, IL
Sep 25 — Sterling Heights, MI
Sep 26 — Madison, WI
Sep 28 — Denver, CO
Sep 29 — Salt Lake City, UT
Oct 01 — Seattle, WA
Oct 02 — Vancouver, BC
Oct 03 — Portland, OR
Oct 06 — Berkeley, CA
Oct 07 — Los Angeles, CA
Oct 10 — Mexico City, MX

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Pj Harvey is going on tour. Last time around I got caught in horrible traffic and only made it in time for the encore, so definitely going to get tickets

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I just saw the National this weekend and other than the lack of Smoke Detector the set list was incredible. They played most of Trouble Will Find Me and even pulled out tracks like Cherry Tree.

I'd been pretty lukewarm on their album over the last decade but live they just can't be beat.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, it was a really drat good show. Even if you're only a casual fan, it's worth your time to go see them. I had a blast (although they played a 2.5 hour show on a Sunday night, which shows a serious lack of respect for the ~95% of their audience who had to go into the office the next morning).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah same... not a fan of recent work but still an amazing live show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

I saw them live a couple months ago and properly one of the best concerts I went to all year. They even made their new stuff sound great but alot of old pleasing stuff too. Sick band to see live they're all really good

Drummer is particularly insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Should I go see Diiv? They’re gonna be here in Miami.