Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
timed hits are just a touch too basic anyway for vanillaware IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im going to do every single dbz ki blast on the next person to mention symphony of war

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rascyc posted:

timed hits are just a touch too basic anyway for vanillaware IMO

They're going to make a peripheral where you upload Instagram photos and an AI tells you whether your dish is delicious enough to get a bonus in game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

im going to do every single dbz ki blast on the next person to mention symphony of war

It is the height of delusion to think Symphony of War won't be talked about in here, for as long as this thread exists.

You're gonna have to live with it. And it's giantess fetish. Especially it's giantess fetish.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

giantess fetish seems downright understandable tbh. bigger ladies mean bigger boobies. that's just math

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Played a couple hours and the game is pretty cool! I think it's a little clunky in some ways but I already see that customizing units is going to lead to many hours of play. I find it interesting that Lex and Chloe are set up as fast leveling characters, makes me wonder if they suck now but get beastly later.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
They still suck 7 hours in for me, but just less so. Getting another unit with them helped, but when I get the full game they’ll be my next Squad to put a 4th member in. They’re a good squad in very specific cases.

I got a 4 member squad that runs with the Sellsword and the Sellsword just absolutely melts things.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
This game is so blatantly early game Fire Emblem in it’s presentation that I can’t tell if Josef is going to get killed off shortly after the demo portion or stick around and get slowly obsoleted like a proper Jagen.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Terper posted:

In the immediate moment, he goes "drat he actually let me go, I won't forget this"

No idea of any potential consequences after that!!

I went with what Clive said at the time, in that it is probably not a good idea to let go the leader of the bandits that were raping and pillaging a village if you want to endear yourself to said village.

This game is going to play hell with my indecision paralysis, isn't it?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Notty posted:

This game is so blatantly early game Fire Emblem in it’s presentation that I can’t tell if Josef is going to get killed off shortly after the demo portion or stick around and get slowly obsoleted like a proper Jagen.

it did make me laugh when you recruit a green-haired archer named rolf and he's competent and powerful. really subverted my expectations there!!!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnicornOverlord/comments/1azbn17/stat_comparison_of_units_from_two_classes_at/

Seems levels are pretty much fixed based on the two traits you pick. Also that uniques at least baseline aren't better than generics, although there's support pts and maybe other stuff later.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My only experience with this sort of JRPG is those big "move your units around the map" war battles in Suikoden, as well as the first Valkyria Chronicles. Is this or Fire Emblem closer to the Suikoden thing?

My hope/belief is that this is more like it, and that Fire Emblem is more of a Valkyria Chronicles which was also fine, but honestly I've never played any FEs before.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I'm just always going to slam pick the recruit/let them live option and if the others have an issue with that then maybe you shouldn't have given me the choice in the first place, punk!!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

My only experience with this sort of JRPG is those big "move your units around the map" war battles in Suikoden, as well as the first Valkyria Chronicles. Is this or Fire Emblem closer to the Suikoden thing?

My hope/belief is that this is more like it, and that Fire Emblem is more of a Valkyria Chronicles which was also fine, but honestly I've never played any FEs before.

The gameplay in Unicorn Overlord is not much like that of Fire Emblem, nor Suikoden, nor Valkyria Chronicles. It's most obviously in the vein of Ogre Battle (not Tactics Ogre, but the original and its direct sequel Ogre Battle 64), but there have been very few games that have copied the complete Ogre Battle package. Plus on top of that, Unicorn Overlord adds its own twists.

Units (a mixture of unique and generic characters) are assembled into small squads. The squads move around the map in real-time like an RTS; it is not turn-based, though you can pause at any time to issue orders. When they encounter an enemy squad, they fight for a limited amount of time, but not necessarily to the death, with the loser being knocked back. The combat between squads takes place autonomously without any user input, with the actions they take being determined by the layout of the squad and the skills and gambits that you previously assigned to its members.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

i guess fire emblem is techncally closer since those are turnbased but neither is that similar

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So does it seem like there is a time limit to rescuing Scarlett? I just had a cutscene showing her while she is being held captive, and it feels like the game is telling me to stop screwing around

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Endorph posted:

neither is that similar

Weird, I watched CohhCarnage stream like a dozen hours of Three Houses and it looked very much like that kind of thing.

Sounds like it's not my kind of game. Thanks!

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
The war battles in Suikoden V are pretty similar to this, the major difference being this game goes much more in-depth (but is still a series of automated calculations) when two units come into contact and start battle

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, I like the Thieves here are straight up Dodge Tanks and you are encouraged to put them on your front line. Having Clive and Travis together with the latter in the front just eats most units without taking any damage.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 25, 2024

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, I like the Thieves here are straight up Dodge Tanks and you are encouraged to put them on your front line. Having Clive and Travis together with the latter in the front just eats most units without taking any damage.
I've been running a team of Travis in front, Hodrick and Lex in the back, and in addition to being fairly effective it's real fun to have the guards in the back being protected

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I was shocked to see how good thieves are. They are usually so bad at combat in any sort of strategy game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I wonder what happens if you just keep executing everyone when prompted.

Edit: also anyone know how to claim this second treasure map's treasure? I've found the spot I just can't find whatever interactible I need to touch to get the treasure.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 25, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Craptacular! posted:

Sounds like it's not my kind of game. Thanks!

Get the Demo and check

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Unlucky7 posted:

So does it seem like there is a time limit to rescuing Scarlett? I just had a cutscene showing her while she is being held captive, and it feels like the game is telling me to stop screwing around

I think if this were the case they would have made more of it in their marketing, "dynamic story line!".
I fully expect the Gammel choice to boil down whether he says the line "Now I'll pay you back for what you did," or "Oh, it's those gullible rubes again,"

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Little off topic, but waiting on this has me craving some other Vanilla games. I got Dragon’s Crown Pro ages ago for cheap but didn't dig into it all that much. How does it hold up?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DalaranJ posted:

I think if this were the case they would have made more of it in their marketing, "dynamic story line!".
I fully expect the Gammel choice to boil down whether he says the line "Now I'll pay you back for what you did," or "Oh, it's those gullible rubes again,"

Given that they've said in interviews that you'll be able to recruit every character in one playthrough, I'm expecting most of the mercy/execution choices to boil down to "do i want a character now/later or do i want more goodies instead".

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I went with what Clive said at the time, in that it is probably not a good idea to let go the leader of the bandits that were raping and pillaging a village if you want to endear yourself to said village.

I've had another run in with other members of the same bandit group and the guy leading them repeated the same story about needing money for a friends sick sister. I let him go since it was that or execute him instead of jail time. Not really sure how this is gonna play out but I feel that lady is probably gonna be the overboss of the whole Black Talons thing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

unattended spaghetti posted:

Little off topic, but waiting on this has me craving some other Vanilla games. I got Dragon’s Crown Pro ages ago for cheap but didn't dig into it all that much. How does it hold up?
Think Odin Sphere is the better action experience but DC is all right for a fantasy beat em up. It has a number of issues though since it dates back to a Vita game intended for multiplayer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is Ogre Battle still worth revisiting or have a good rerelease/mod/remake? I tried it as a kid on some SNES ROM binge but all I remember was looking up a guide to get a cool astrological sign and nothing else. Doubt I got far l, don't think I'd even played Advance Wars yet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Ogre Battle is still good, though there's no releases or remakes. The PSX version is pretty much a flat upgrade to the SNES version in most respects.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Something to keep in mind when playing is that although you can't change equipment once you've actually engaged with an enemy, you're free to toss around equipment between your units while on your way to meet with them, so if there's a good weapon or accessory you only have one of you can still juggle it around between fights

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Khanstant posted:

Is Ogre Battle still worth revisiting or have a good rerelease/mod/remake? I tried it as a kid on some SNES ROM binge but all I remember was looking up a guide to get a cool astrological sign and nothing else. Doubt I got far l, don't think I'd even played Advance Wars yet.
If you are emulation savvy, there's a fan translation of the Saturn version which will include some other QoL like alignment/charisma/chaos frame changes, voice acting, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FHrKVftHZ8

If you're not, then PSX has a lot of QoL improvements in exchange for load times vs the SNES version.

It's a very time consuming game no matter the version you play though. You can yolo your way through the game perfectly fine (it's not a difficult game) but most people resort to a guide because so very little is explained. Part of the charm of the game is making your own little armies and recruiting people, which can be hard when some classes/characters are locked behind various stat requirements that can change for reasons that are not obvious at all.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 25, 2024

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game looks so good

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
This sounds a lot like Ogre battle so seeing folks compare it to Fire Emblem feels like people saying a hamburger is a lot like a lasagna instead of saying it's like a sandwich.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It has some aesthetic similarities and a few nods (like basically having a jagen) but yeah its mostly just people arent familiar with other SRPGs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sudonim posted:

This sounds a lot like Ogre battle so seeing folks compare it to Fire Emblem feels like people saying a hamburger is a lot like a lasagna instead of saying it's like a sandwich.

While true, nobody has really made the Ogre Battle sandwich in, like, twenty plus years, so they may have not run into them before.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

sudonim posted:

Tbf some stuff like the blue haired nobility is definitely riffing on Fire Emblem.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

sudonim posted:

it's exactly like fire emblem op. it has all the same stuff! rapport conversations! disappointing level ups! a protagonist with blue hair! it's practically the same game

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

sudonim posted:

The best way I heard it described is that it’s what you’d get if you took the individual pieces of Fire Emblem and rearranged them to make Ogre Battle.

You can very clearly see places where they were influenced by the success of Fire Emblem. Particularly in how they lifted support conversations (renamed ‘Rapport conversations lmao) and the rock-paper-scissor class design.

To say nothing about how opening story is practically a pastiche of FE1.

It doesn’t really PLAY anything like FE, but it’s readily apparent that they looked at it and were like ‘yeah we should do something like that!’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'll be honest, I've never played an FE or Ogre Battle so all the sly references are completely lost on me.

Anyone found any surprisingly OP unit formations yet? I've found that Lex/Chloe/Audric have been a solid trio despite Lex and Chloe's slow starts.